PDA

View Full Version : EATG Vs. Vegas

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
So which one did you like better?(please stay on topic).

I personally like them equally.

wraith1112
May 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Probably Vegas, it was such a great epsiode and how it sets up the finale is great. The problem i had with EATG is that it felt really rushed, like they had this idea for Vegas then had to fast forward there plans for the season 5 finale.

jelgate
May 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
EATG. Vegas wasn't Stargate and a CSI ripoff. It doesn't help that I have a dislike for CSI

PG15
May 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
They were completely different.

If I want a good angst party and character study with a killer soundtrack, I'd go for Vegas.

If I want cool CGI and action-packed epicness, I'd go for EatG.

spinny magee
May 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Vegas I would say, the finale didn't really satisfy me. Vegas was great because it wasn't all that stargatey(in lack of a proper word) And it took me ages to figure out who that other Mckay was, and I think instead of going back to his reality he went to a diff one.

dasNdanger
May 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Vegas - it was just really good from a Wraith fan standpoint - cool and edgy, with a great soundtrack. I liked TODD in EatG, but got really tired of Sheppard's death threats (really, those two need to get beyond that), and though it was a good episode, it wasn't the season's best.

das

JoeRocks
May 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Vegas - no competition. A tour-de-force by Joe Flanigan. And great visuals. Oh, and I do like the death threats and the relationship between Todd and Sheppard as well.

Atlantis Rocks
May 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Vegas, all the way, I thought this was a brill ep and Joe was well Joe :cool:

IMHO I'd put this as the best, just loved it, EATG was ok but thats all, too rushed an not enough thought had gone in 2 it :(

Solla
May 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I prefer Vegas - apart from a feeling that I’m stuck on this planet like Spike and wraith-related story line that I really enjoyed - this episode gives us a clear negative of Shep, turning him inside out and revealing his very soul. Alone, totally exhausted, flawed and still incredibly courageous. Besides, like it has been already said, this episode has a really good soundtrack.

Stormtrooper
May 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Vegas: Boring, but consistent
EATG: Interesting, but inconsistent

Linda06
May 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
EatG was 100 x better. Not because it was great, but because Vegas was so bad that it made EatG look so good!

Hetshepsu
May 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Enemy At The Gate, altough to be fair, it did feel rushed at times (wormhole drive?). And the ending was a bit cheesy...

jenks
May 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Vegas by miles.

Rac80
May 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Vegas was excellent. It was a good ep, BUT in compartison to EatG it was shakespeare. EatG was horrible,just horrible! I hated the entire storyline (oh yeah like the US military would allow the chair to be blown up???? give me a break!:rolleyes:) it was rushed, and too much mckay! so of the two Vegas waas much better, but compared to pre-season 5 SGA, it was just average.

Southern Red
May 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Vegas was just beyond wonderful. Plus it proved that if you give JF something good to do, he is a great actor. I wish it could become a series.

EATG was okay but too rushed and the ending was stupid.

Egle01
May 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Vegas was an awesome episode. :D

EatG had potential to be even better, but wormhole-drive, too quick pace, and CGI seemed to be unfinished... Nah. :S

Lythisrose
May 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Vegas was my personal favorite of all the Stargate episodes... I loved JF's acting, the focus on Shep, the Sheppard and McKay interaction, the music, the angst, the Wraith, pretty much everything!I thought it was brilliant and it made me tear up for days when thinking about it. My quibbles with it were that Teyla and Ronon were not there and I also choose a happier ending in my mind.
EaTG was fine, but pretty average, IMHO. I think it would have been much better as a two-parter.
(didn't like the ending at all!)

fumblesmcstupid
May 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't understand how you can say which is better when Vegas has NO ONE we know!

Sure they have the same names but...thats it!

I had no connection to the Vegas people and I was like what is the point to this?

*Enemy* felt like everyone was on auto pilot and not really there! But, these are MY people and I care about them (except Keller) and was interested in what happened to them (except Keller) in the end!

So for me...epic fail for both!

jenks
May 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I don't understand how you can say which is better when Vegas has NO ONE we know!

I had no connection to the Vegas people and I was like what is the point to this?

*Enemy* felt like everyone was on auto pilot and not really there! But, these are MY people and I care about them (except Keller) and was interested in what happened to them (except Keller) in the end!

How is it even relevant?

fumblesmcstupid
May 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Vegas isn't OUR people!

It's like watching Sliders.... alternate universe same bodies just off enough to be creepy and not THEM!

Thats the way I feel. *shrugs*

bobsenior
May 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I did like 'Vegas', I usually don't like episodes focusing 100% on Earth, (Home, The Real World, Miller's Crossing, Outcast, Brainstorm. Just seems as if they can't be bothered) and I especially dislike CSI
(f**k knows how they've made so many spin-offs) but this episode was actually pretty well done.
I think 'Enemy at the Gate' was better though, as it was actually more relevant to the Atlantis in our Universe and it actually looked like they gave a lot more attention to detail. (Both the Storyline and the CGI)
Although to be honest they could have stopped the Hive in Pegasus if they'd just got the ZPM's from Todd that much earlier! Even if they'd given Daedalus the ZPM's it probably would have worked!

The point to 'Vegas' was simply because the Wraith managed to send the signal that the Hive in
'Enemy at the Gate' received. Other than that it was just to fill an episode slot.
'Harmony' did the same thing, except that episode had no point/connection at all!

Linda06
May 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Vegas was like a very bad take on CSI, they should leave this kind of thing to the people who can actually do it ;) It wasn't stargate, apart from the wraith being there (which we got no explanation about so we don't know how they got to earth) which was the only thing SGA about it, the rest wasn't stargate, it was just like a very bad ripoff of CSI. Plus for the penultimate ep two of the main characters weren't even in it ::mckay:

Now EatG was not great by any means, too many mistakes, too many plot holes, too rushed, but out of the two I liked EatG a lot better.

To me Vegas was one of the worse eps of the entire franchise :o

bluealien
May 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM

I have to agree with you here. Vegas was great for JF but terrible for Sheppard imo... I really didnt have any interest in this drop out Sheppard whose life had become worthless and whose only purpose was to sacrifice himself... his death didnt even garner any interest from anyone and he's left alone to die. ... the McKay/Sheppard interaction was awful as it just proves how arrogant and selfish McKay is without the influence and friendship of Sheppard... what was the point of Vegas ... to show us John makes reckless decisions and puts other peoples lives in danger and then just gives up.... but then suffers an epiphany when he gets a pep talk from McKay.... Vegas was a visual masterpiece, a great tour de force for JF's acting but it had no real bearing on the show or even for Sheppards character..it was just gloomy and depressing... which I have no interest in..

Yes auto pilot would sum it up for me. No genuine friendship or character moments just everyone acting out their little auto pilot part.... lots of generic action but no real substance to the plot at all..

Lucylee
May 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Wow, Vegas sure gets a "love it or hate it" response, dosen't it?
Not too many half way comments.
Personally, I loved it and thought it was one of the best eps of the franchise. Beautiful in looks, acting and music, it had almost everything I love. And it made me cry. Too bad it wasn't picked up as a series.
EATG was an OK season ender, but far too short for a series closing. Looking forward to a movie to resolve issues.
I did not appreciate the end scene on the balcony at all, and that took away a fair amount of enjoyment for the episode for me.

jenks
May 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Vegas isn't OUR people!

It's like watching Sliders.... alternate universe same bodies just off enough to be creepy and not THEM!

Thats the way I feel. *shrugs*

I understand that it wasn't 'our' characters as such, what I'm saying is how does that affect how good or not the episode was?

maxbo
May 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Neither episode was a good SGA episode, IMO, because neither contains enough of the SGA elements I enjoy. Although the pacing for Vegas is better and JF's performance is not to be missed, it just doesn't feel like SGA to me, so it's not going to rate high on my repeatability meter when I'm in the mood for SGA in the future. I can see myself watching it again for Joe F'.s great performance, but, unfortunatey, it feels too much like a strange cross-over fanfic for me to watch it to satisfy my SGA "fix".

As for EatG, the only good thing about this episode is that it includes *all* of the main cast.

Unfortunately, each episode feels like TPTB just tacked them on to the end of Season 5 as afterthoughts.

katjoy
May 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
i wish they hadnt canned sga, but i thought the way they ended the series was really good...

and i personally thought that the vegas ep was a waste of space, it was the last season and they could have put that ep to much better use...

fumblesmcstupid
May 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
I like OUR John Sheppard and Rodney McKay and the two men in "Vegas" were NOT John and Rodney.

John was a pathetic gambling loser that got in over his head, but then he meets up with Rodney who without the influence of John was a pre "48hrs." looser and not the Rodney "I" like therefore I didn't like the characters or the plot, hence it was not good! Token thrown in *IMO*

Enemy, as I said was *robot team* and going through the motions winging it somehow they're not even half the team (insert Ronon getting stabbed) "Owww (sorry about the random Buffy musical reference) I hear going through the motions and well you saw (:o ) Enemy...it was a really bad episode. *shrug*

Dr Quinn
May 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I thought Vegas was brilliant - it shed light on our Sheppard and showed what he could have become if circumstances had been different. And I did truly enjoy the style and mood of the episode. Much love for this one.:)
EatG was enjoyable for the most part, but felt a bit like they jerryrigged it together at the last moment and I don't like the way the balcony scene a the end did not focus on the Team. I thought the very last scene of the series should have been either all the characters (inc. Lorne, Zelenka, etc.) or just the core four.

pkprd869
May 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Vegas was better IMHO. I thought it was a good crime drama (like CSI, NCIS, or Law and Order back in its glory days) with a dollop of scifi. EATG, felt like, "Oh crap, now we have to do a series finale instead of a season finale. *panic* Hurry, we have to cram in some build up of impending doom and a big space battle. *more panic* What do you mean the space battle can only be like a minute long! Aww hell, just go with it, what are they gonna do cancel us."

Bytor
May 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
John was a pathetic gambling loser that got in over his head, but then he meets up with Rodney who without the influence of John was a pre "48hrs." looser and not the Rodney "I" like therefore I didn't like the characters or the plot, hence it was not good! Token thrown in *IMO*

Does every character in every show/movie you watch have to be a perfect noble good guy?

Do you hate all alternate reality stories, not just vegas, just because they aren't "your" characters?

fumblesmcstupid
May 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I LOVE A.U. stories!

Some of my favorite movies and fanfics are au's!

And I like bad guy's as well some of my favorite movies the bad guy's are awesome!

The point I'm trying to make is that Vegas and Enemy (IMO) are not the same people so trying to pick which one them is the best is just weird!

Maybe if they were comparing episodes with AU lives, like "*Before I Sleep* or *McKay and Mrs. Miller* with Vegas... that I could go for!

But instead you are Vs'ing the Vegas au with our canon or timeline EATG and for me that just is crazy!

EdenSG
May 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I loved Vegas because I thought the story was interesting. The camera work, artistry and music were outstanding. But it was JF who made the episode work in my opinion. My criticism of the episode is that it was too artsy and stylized in its format and that took away from the story and characters. It also forced the “explanation or story” to be told in a 10 minute dialogue by McKay to Sheppard after he was taken to Area 51. That 10 minute dialogue really broke the episode up so it almost felt like for 10-15 minutes I had switched channels and was watching a different episode. It is to the credit of both JF and DH that they could make this work but even still it left the episode feeling somewhat unbalanced.

I loved EATG because it was a good old fashioned action, adventure shoot up space romp. It also had some character scenes, and the scene with Sheppard and Todd were great. One of the things I like best about SG is that I think they do this pretty well with the good guys vs. the bad guys. They save Earth and just about every character got to play a part. The problem with EATG was that there was too much happening. It felt like the entire episode was hyped up on the Wraith enzyme. Whether you say it was rushed, compacted or sheer madness by the end of the episode it left me feeling that I had missed something or that something was left out.

Which do I like better?
While I think that Vegas was the better show from the point of view of artistry, visuals, camerawork, tight story, and of course the outstanding acting of JF, I think EATG would nudge out on top simply because, despite its flaws it is fast and fun with the good guys, despite all obstacles, coming out on top and saving Earth. I just enjoy those types of episodes a bit more than episodes like Vegas.

DigiFluid
May 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Vegas was a fun alternative take on SGA, that I really enjoyed even though I loathe CSI. EATG was rushed and sloppy.

Vegas was the better episode, no question.

Opener
June 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Both. Each has its strengths in contrast to the other.

Nightfighter89
June 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Vegas. It was a complete episode in itself. EatG was rushed and poorly written by Stargate standards. And you can't beat Johnny Cash.

Sanna
June 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Vegas! It was the long awaited John episode (there was way too little John in season five!) and I really enjoyed it a lot!
EatG on the other hand was disappointing and I didn't like the ending at all what with Atlantis being back on Earth and no team feeling but once again the McKeller bull**** Plus, it really was rushed overall, but that had been stated several times already.

ReFRidgerator
June 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I prefer Vegas - apart from a feeling that I’m stuck on this planet like Spike and wraith-related story line that I really enjoyed - this episode gives us a clear negative of Shep, turning him inside out and revealing his very soul. Alone, totally exhausted, flawed and still incredibly courageous. Besides, like it has been already said, this episode has a really good soundtrack.
Which John Shperd's soul do we see our's, their's, or both?

Easter Lily
June 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Vegas was fantastic episode and I think it should have definitely been done a long time ago (like S2). Sometimes I think Joe Flanigan is wasted on SGA but boy, what he can do given a good script. I really liked the use of music in this for characterization even if I'm not a big fan of rock. Honestly, I thought it was the most stylishly filmed SGA ep I'd seen since Sateda.

Enemy was good but felt very rushed which I suspect spoilt the overall goodness of it.

Angela V
June 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Vegas was a WTF was that? moment for me. :D I would have rather had a 2 hour wrap up for the last season.

Lythisrose
June 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Vegas was a WTF was that? moment for me. :D I would have rather had a 2 hour wrap up for the last season.

Honestly, I would rather have had a two hour Vegas ep and have it introduce a new series! :)

But making EaTG into a two parter would have been a much better idea than cramming it all into one hour, so in a way I agree. (Vegas being my favorite ep, they could have put it in place of Brainstorm, Identity or Inquisition)

Angela V
July 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Honestly, I would rather have had a two hour Vegas ep and have it introduce a new series! :)

But making EaTG into a two parter would have been a much better idea than cramming it all into one hour, so in a way I agree. (Vegas being my favorite ep, they could have put it in place of Brainstorm, Identity or Inquisition)

But I like those episodes! What they should've done was just give us an extra hour of SGA to make up for canceling the show. :weiranime17:

MathiasE
July 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I honestly never even bothered to finish watching Vegas.

Colonel Rebel
September 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I loved both, but I thought Vegas was the better episode. I think it was Joe's best performance too.

WraithQueenH
September 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
But I like those episodes! What they should've done was just give us an extra hour of SGA to make up for canceling the show. :weiranime17:

Totally agree with you!

Loved Vegas as an alt reality but EATG felt rushed though loved it anyway. If EATG would have had 2 hours and been made into a mini-movie I can see the possibilities! One hour didn't seem to do it justice.

lordofseas
September 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Neither. They both sucked.

AVFan
September 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
It took me halfway through Vegas to figure out what was going on so I didn't like it that much the first time through. But the second time on it was GREAT. Vegas was so much better than EATG. Wormhole drive... Really?

Tobyisking
September 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
yeah eatg was a little rushed but u know it does have a good cliffhanger leading into the movie i missed seeing everyone from atlantis in vegas but overall good episode