Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attero Device - End game , should it have been used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attero Device - End game , should it have been used?

So I’ve been rewatching season 5.
    0510 - First Contact and 0511 - Lost Tribe.

Attero Device was created by Janus but once he realised it was blowing up stargates it was switched off. I think it should have been used as a last resort. Just wondering how many others think the same.

It may have cost a few millions lives, but those lives were left defenceless against the wraith, culling after culling. They could have sent out a warning to move away from the Stargate before it was used.

Anything wrong with my logic?

Ya, just the few million lives part. After all, these are just human beings. *shrugs* At least against the Wraith humanity as a race could survive. And the Ancients couldn't travel to every world saying, "Stay away from the big ringy thing!" unless they wanted to wraith to find out about it.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Yes - lots. Remember, the Wraith are not cockroaches - they are sentient, living, breathing beings that just happen to have a very specific diet. They don't feed out of malicious intent, but out of a need dictated to them by nature. Wiping out Wraith would be the same as killing all tigers, or all sharks, just because - someday - one might eat us.

As with all predators, the answer is not driving them to extinction, but finding a way to manage them. Keep in mind that the Wraith have a wealth of knowledge to share, not only scientifically, but also historically. AND they have the ability to restore life. Now...why would anyone want to destroy such a unique species??!

The Attero Device simply proved how narrow-minded the Ancients were - much like humans right here on earth who burn down rain forests and wipe out entire species before ever trying to understand them and their impact on the environment.

Coupled with the whole 'killing humans to kill Wraith' thing that's just so hypocritical. Why kill humans for no good reason when they could have been used to sustain the life of such a beautiful species as Wraith??

das
      sigpic

Comment

The Ancients could have deactivated the PG gate network and then enabled the device. Simple as that.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
          The Ancients could have deactivated the PG gate network and then enabled the device. Simple as that.
          And the Wraith could have reactivated the gate network
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

lordofseas
            Ya, just the few million lives part. After all, these are just human beings. *shrugs* At least against the Wraith humanity as a race could survive. And the Ancients couldn't travel to every world saying, "Stay away from the big ringy thing!" unless they wanted to wraith to find out about it.
            Well it depends. I’ll make up a random scenario With a random planet X somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy.
            A = 50 million people live on planet X and the Stargate explodes and kills 1-5 mill based around the Stargate. So there’s 45+mill left to carry on and grow as a civilization. This civilization can live free from the terror and fear of being culled.
            B = The wraith feed on the population of planet X. 95% of the population are killed (45mill). The rest of the population is left to live as 'cattle , to reproduce' in the eyes of the wraith. Every time the population expands the wraith come and feed on it again. no growth as a civilization and constant terror and fear of being culled.
            I’d take option A but It all depends on what the average population of a Pegasus planet.

sblade
            Yes - lots. Remember, the Wraith are not cockroaches - they are sentient, living, breathing beings that just happen to have a very specific diet. They don't feed out of malicious intent, but out of a need dictated to them by nature. Wiping out Wraith would be the same as killing all tigers, or all sharks, just because - someday - one might eat us.
            The wraith are a disease which needs cutting out. Its not the same as killing all tigers because we (if we chose) can live in balance with tigers. if we leave tigers alone they won’t come to us and suck the life out of us.
            Last edited by sinderg; 14 May 2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

As with all predators, the answer is not driving them to extinction, but finding a way to manage them. Keep in mind that the Wraith have a wealth of knowledge to share, not only scientifically, but also historically. AND they have the ability to restore life. Now...why would anyone want to destroy such a unique species??!

The Attero Device simply proved how narrow-minded the Ancients were - much like humans right here on earth who burn down rain forests and wipe out entire species before ever trying to understand them and their impact on the environment.

Coupled with the whole 'killing humans to kill Wraith' thing that's just so hypocritical. Why kill humans for no good reason when they could have been used to sustain the life of such a beautiful species as Wraith??

das

those ancients created and used the device only to hide their "mistakes" - the wraith - even if they played god and created sentient beings.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I'm going to hazard a guess that being the ones who built the gates, the Ancients would be able to disable them in a way sufficient to confound the wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

das
                  I completely agree.

But not just that, the SG provided a means for trade, exploration, escape for whatever reasons, etc.
                  Quite a few of those planets have depended heavily on the gate for centuries. And what would give us the right to change their way of lives?
                  "Hey everyone, we've only been to your galaxy for a few years but we've now decided for everyone in your galaxy that the only way to protect you is to blow up your gate, Sorry for any inconvenience"?
                  Despite that, even if the gates were destroyed, the Wraith are a very intelligent race and there's the chance that they could find a way around the hyperdrive issue anyway. So what then?

Edit:
                  Originally posted by sinderg View Post
                  The wraith are a disease which needs cutting out. Its not the same as killing all tigers because we (if we chose) can live in balance with tigers. if we leave tigers alone they won’t come to us and suck the life out of us.
                  They aren't a disease. They can't help that they evolved into a unique species.
                  You walk into the jungle and go pet the pretty tigers I'm sure he'll purr like a kitten as he's licking the blood off his paws...
                  Last edited by WraithInMe; 14 May 2009, 08:04 PM.
                  Save Atlantis Forum
                  TheAmberCafe.com Free Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Of course the Wraith could reactivate the gate network. They are the GATE BUILDERS after all.

Really, how hard could it be to shut down the whole thing permanently? Just look at what Felger and Ba'al did back at MW with Avenger 2.0.

Don't tell me the amazing Ancients couldn't pull off something a gazillion times better than that, that is, assuming they didn't have an off switch for the gate network they created all along.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sinderg View Post

Whoa! Waitaminute! A disease??! That's genocidal-talk! They are not a disease...they are an intelligent species with special dietary needs. The fact that at least one of them (Todd) tried to find an alternative way of feeding shows that they are not incapable of changing their mindset, it's just that physically it didn't work. You just don't wipe out a species/race when some of them are willing to find a way to coexist with humans...well, coexist, but with their own agenda...but that's a different subject all together.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

They.......... want........... to EAT US!

And besides - that device wont actually kill them all, but only those who use hyperdrive and all the rest would be stuck... with no food they will die, but hey - if a swarm of tigers would attack our city's because they have nothing else to eat but humans, wouldn't you block all the entries to that city so they cant get in and eat us all? Even if that would mean they would die starving outside? Or would you sacrifice some people to them to save their species?
                        sigpic

Comment

correct me if im wrong but wasnt it a secret experiment which we didtn tell anyone about. the ancients were worried about causality and non-interference so they wouldnt want to shut down the gate system..and who said they would ever think that.

the pegasus galaxy is smaller and has less gates, maybe scrambling the co-ord system woulod be more difficlut in a smaller area?

Comment

the difference is that the tauri would have used it if we were in the shoes of the ancients. i know i would have.

defeat them at all costs!!

Comment

WraithInMe

I completely agree.

But not just that, the SG provided a means for trade, exploration, escape for whatever reasons, etc.
                              Quite a few of those planets have depended heavily on the gate for centuries. And what would give us the right to change their way of lives?
                              "Hey everyone, we've only been to your galaxy for a few years but we've now decided for everyone in your galaxy that the only way to protect you is to blow up your gate, Sorry for any inconvenience"?
                              Despite that, even if the gates were destroyed, the Wraith are a very intelligent race and there's the chance that they could find a way around the hyperdrive issue anyway. So what then?
                              I was actually thinking of why didnt the ancients use it. the gatesystem is theres after all.

My plan was was that the ancients use the Attero Device then go around and cripple the wraith fleet to the point that they could swith off the Attero Device and then win the war.
                              They aren't a disease. They can't help that they evolved into a unique species.
                              You walk into the jungle and go pet the pretty tigers I'm sure he'll purr like a kitten as he's licking the blood off his paws...
                              What about the responsibility the ancients had to the humans they let evolve in the pegasus galaxy, they left them all defenceless and then packed up shop and ran.

Comment

Working...
                              X