X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"WRAITH" -what does this word mean?

Hi guys & girls,

According to Wikipedia "wraith" is something like :

...a Scottish dialectal word for "ghost, spectre, apparition". It came to be used in Scottish Romanticist literature, and acquired the more general or figurative sense of "portent, omen". In modern fantasy literature, it usually designates dangerous and evil beings following use of the word in J.R.R. Tolkien's Ringwraiths.
    According to the OED first attested in 1513, in Gavin Douglas' translation of the Aeneid with a meaning of both "ghost, apparition of a deceased person" and "an immaterial or spectral appearance of a living being".
    In 18th- to 19th-century Scottish literature, it was also applied to aquatic spirits. In 19th-century usage, it came to be used in a metaphoric sense to refer to wraith-like things and to portents in general.
    The word has no commonly accepted etymology; OED notes "of obscure origin" only. An association with the verb writhe was the etymology favoured by J. R. R. Tolkien.
    Tolkien's use of the word in the naming of the creatures known as the Ringwraiths has influenced later usage in fantasy literature.

The word "wraith" is also used in modern fiction to signify the shifting wraiths of T.A. Barron's book series The Lost Years of Merlin and the mortiwraiths of Wayne Thomas Batson's The Door Within Trilogy. Whereas the shifting wraith is a bestial, snake-like predator able to change itself into the form of any animal, albeit always having a feature uncharacteristic thereof, the mortiwraith is an anthropomorphically intelligent, gigantic, cave-dwelling, extremely photosensitive, but also snake-like predator having creased, furry ears, poisonous blood, and many clawed legs, whose quantity increases with the passage of every five years. The use of the word "wraith" for either of these is not explained in either story, though it may relate to the word "writhe".

The Wraith plays a part in the novel Stargazer by Claudia Gray, the second instalment in the Evernight series.

The Wraith are also a fictional species in the series Stargate Atlantis.

The "wraith" - "remnant wraith" or "death wraith" appears also in the popular online game Lineage 2. The "remnant wraith" are high level undead located near Alien Totem on Kamael Island and the "Death Wraith" appears in catacombs/necropolis as a high level Lilim/Nephilim commander.

If somebody got something to add, i'm waiting .

Sounds about right. I'll just add this from the Online Etymology Dictionary: 1513, "ghost," Scottish, of uncertain origin. Weekley suggests O.N. vorðr "guardian" in the sense of "guardian angel." Klein points to Gael., Ir. arrach "specter, apparition."

When I get a chance, I'll add more! Good thread subject!

das
    sigpic

Comment

I figure they probably picked up that name with Pegasus locals as a result of the psychic illusions they (used to) project.

No idea why they'd refer to themselves as that though.

Comment

It could be another Merlin reference. If they called themselves the Wraith, It's likely the Leader of Atlantis at the end of the war knew their name. Then much later, story gets heard by early human civilisation. Bam.

Course this is all within the Stargate World, it was pretty much just a cool name that the Producers found.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
          I figure they probably picked up that name with Pegasus locals as a result of the psychic illusions they (used to) project.

No idea why they'd refer to themselves as that though.
          Since the Ancient created the Wraith (In The Return Part 1, Woolsey states that the Ancients admitted to creating the Wraith), it's probably a name given to them by the Ancients. In terms of the SG galaxy, the Ancients probably came back from Pegasus and some humans heard them talking about Wraiths and used it in a story.

Comment

Atlantis continues the theme of SG-1 that Earth's mythology's are not our own, they have been influenced by aliens. The Goa'uld are the origin of most of Earth mythology, the Asgard are the origin of Norse mythology. Lost city of Atlantis in Greek mythology is the city of Atlantis, which like the Greek myth was lost under water. The Wraith is the name the Wraith gave themselves and the Lanteans used it, but once they returned to Earth they told stories about Atlantis and how it sank and also about terrible monsters who could suck the life out of you. This is where the concept of a Wraith came from on Earth, the Grim Reaper is also a 'Wraith' of sorts.
            Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Ya know - in reading your comments, I'm inclined to agree that the Ancients named them, based on the ghost-like images that Wraith project, coupled with the fact that Wraith don't seem to have names for themselves, and their very presence among humans means death (the 'Grim Reaper' concept malfunction suggested).

However, what did Steve say? "I am your death" - that was in relation to his 'name'. So, perhaps, that IS what Wraith call themselves - 'your death', which would insinuate that - by their very presence - they are the omen that foreshadows your death...the 'spectre'...the 'wraith'.

So, in Wraith language, they may have called themselves 'your death', or 'omen of your death', which in turn could be translated into 'Wraith' in the English language.

What their name actually sounds like in Wraith or Ancient is unknown, since we've never heard the word, only the English translation of it. They seem to accept the name with pride, since it defines their very existence...they bring death to the humans they come in contact with, and the fact that they have a human-like appearance - though not truly being human - also adds to this meaning of a 'spectral appearance of a living being'.

I think the name is quite fitting.

das
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                Ya know - in reading your comments, I'm inclined to agree that the Ancients named them, based on the ghost-like images that Wraith project, coupled with the fact that Wraith don't seem to have names for themselves, and their very presence among humans means death (the 'Grim Reaper' concept malfunction suggested).

However, what did Steve say? "I am your death" - that was in relation to his 'name'. So, perhaps, that IS what Wraith call themselves - 'your death', which would insinuate that - by their very presence - they are the omen that foreshadows your death...the 'spectre'...the 'wraith'.

So, in Wraith language, they may have called themselves 'your death', or 'omen of your death', which in turn could be translated into 'Wraith' in the English language.

What their name actually sounds like in Wraith or Ancient is unknown, since we've never heard the word, only the English translation of it. They seem to accept the name with pride, since it defines their very existence...they bring death to the humans they come in contact with, and the fact that they have a human-like appearance - though not truly being human - also adds to this meaning of a 'spectral appearance of a living being'.

I think the name is quite fitting.

das
                a big hug for posting this das

Comment

Originally posted by Cadaveria View Post
                  a big hug for posting this das
                  Hey, it makes sense to me!

das
                  sigpic

Comment

it comes from the gaelic"writhe" - ghost, malevolent spirit. great thread !

Comment

Hey, it makes sense to me!

das
                      And me!
                      I always thought it had something to do with the illusions.

I've been watching the eps again and was actually wondering what happened to the illusions. You see them in season 1 but not in later series except for one ep I remember from season 3.

Anyway, spot on, Das
                      Save Atlantis Forum
                      TheAmberCafe.com Free Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatSilkie View Post
                        it comes from the gaelic"writhe" - ghost, malevolent spirit. great thread !
                        It is a good thread. I think the writers chose the name wraith is because of the mythology and it just sounds creepy.
                        Some say that he has only one ear.
                        And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                        All we know is he's called
                        sigpic

Comment

From datasegment online dictionary:

wraith - Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

Wraith \Wraith\, n. [Scot. wraith, warth; probably originally, a
                          guardian angel, from Icel. v["o]r[eth]r a warden, guardian,
                          akin to E. ward. See Ward a guard.]
                          [1913 Webster]

1. An apparition of a person in his exact likeness, seen
                          before death, or a little after; hence, an apparition; a
                          specter; a vision; an unreal image.
                          [Scot.]

She was uncertain if it were the gypsy or her
                          wraith. --Sir W. Scott.

O, hollow wraith of dying fame. --Tennyson.

2. Sometimes, improperly, a spirit thought to preside over
                          the waters; -- called also water wraith. --M. G. Lewis.
                          [1913 Webster]

wraith - WordNet (r) 2.1 (2005) :

wraith
                          n 1: a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he
                          looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from
                          his past" [syn: ghost, shade, spook, wraith,
                          specter, spectre]

wraith - Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :

61 Moby Thesaurus words for "wraith":
                          Doppelganger, Masan, apparition, appearance, astral, astral spirit,
                          banshee, co-walker, control, departed spirit, disembodied spirit,
                          double, doubleganger, duppy, dybbuk, eidolon, etheric double,
                          fantasy, fetch, figure, form, ghost, grateful dead, guide, hant,
                          haunt, idolum, image, immateriality, incorporeal,
                          incorporeal being, incorporeity, larva, lemures, manes,
                          materialization, oni, phantasm, phantasma, phantasmagoria, phantom,
                          poltergeist, presence, revenant, shade, shadow, shape,
                          shrouded spirit, specter, spectral ghost, spirit, spook, sprite,
                          theophany, unsubstantiality, vision, waking dream,
                          walking dead man, wandering soul, wildest dream, zombie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This certainly can pertain to the 'ghostly' apparitions that the Wraith project. And remember in The Rising, Teyla says that it gets cold when Wraith are near - again suggesting a spectre or ghost. Their pale coloring also adds to the image.

But right now I'm going to focus on this one oart of the definition: "An apparition of a person in his exact likeness..."

Although Wraith are not the exact likeness of the humans they consume, they are similar apart from physical appearance. What did Todd say to Sheppard? 'You are more like Wraith than you know.' By saying that, Todd was suggesting that humans and Wraith are very much alike in personality - perhaps not physical copies of one another, but certainly similar in many other ways.

Among Wraith fans, we have discussed how similar Todd and Sheppard are...and one of the synonyms for 'wraith' is 'doppelgänger'. (From Wiki: ) "Doppelgänger has come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person...They are generally regarded as harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death."

Well, Todd certainly has been a 'harbinger of bad luck!' LOL! Another definition for doppelgänger is 'a ghostly double of a living person that haunts its living counterpart'...and again, Todd does this to Sheppard. He 'haunts' him, or maybe better said that he 'plagues' him...lol. He reminds Sheppard of his darker side, of the things he's capable of, including giving into Todd's need to feed in the way he coerced Wallace into giving himself up as a wraithy din-din.

Just so many applications here for the word 'wraith' - probably more than the creators ever imagined when they came up with the name for their 'bad guys'.

das
                          sigpic

Comment

From datasegment online dictionary:

Among Wraith fans, we have discussed how similar Todd and Sheppard are...and one of the synonyms for 'wraith' is 'doppelgänger'. (From Wiki: ) "Doppelgänger has come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person...They are generally regarded as harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death."

das
                            never knew about that. is 'doppelgänger' a kind of evil twin?

Comment

Originally posted by Cadaveria View Post
                              never knew about that. is 'doppelgänger' a kind of evil twin?
                              Yes, it has come to mean that in some situations.

There is a great Hitchcock movie about doppelgängers called Shadow of a Doubt. It was made back in the 1940s, and has such a subtle doppelgänger undertone that you may miss it at first.

It's a story about a young girl named Charley, who believes in goodness, and the man she was named after, her Uncle Charlie. He comes for a visit, and during his visit she learns that he believes the world is an evil place, that some people don't deserve to live. They are the same (in that they are insightful and have a bond beyond sharing the same name), but different (in that she embraces what is good, and he embraces what is bad). In the end, she must become her doppelgänger...she must embrace that side of herself that her Uncle represents. It is a great movie - not full of suspense and action like most Hitchcock films, but just a very well-told story...a thinking man's movie. (There is also one scene in a bar where the number 2 or 'double' - representing twins, or doppelgängers - is referred to several times...again showing the true theme of the movie.)

Good stuff.

das
                              Last edited by dasNdanger; 16 May 2009, 07:46 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X