SG-1 Box Set - Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 Box Set - Is it worth it?

Hey all, I did a few searches through the forums and have read more than a few reviews for the SG-1 complete series box set and keep coming up with mixed reviews. The one thing I read about the most is defective disks and poor packaging. Another thing I haveread, but am not 100% certain on is some of the episodes are out of order on the disks. Is this true?

Basically, what I want to know is is the box set worth it, or would I be better off purchasing the seasons seperatly? Obviously the box set has content the individual boxes lack. The box sets (At least around here) Are about $20 - $30 bucks, so the box set would be a savings? Or, considering what I read, would it?

I also saw on Wal-Mart's site the box set is up for under $200 and Best Buy under $300 (these prices are not including tax.) As both of these stores are in town, obviously I could return the set and get a replacement or a refund if anything were to be dfective about the complete box set. Has anyone had any trouble in getting their defective disks replaced or being refunded the money?

Another question I have involves the other Complete box sets, the one's that include Ark of Truth, and hte one that has both movies. I am located in the United States nad these items are only available on Amazon.co.uk. Obviously, it would need to be shipped overseas to me, right? Anyone have any info about this? I have NEVER ordered anything online so I'm not sure how that works. I can't pay in pounds, just dollars. Would one of these box sets be worth it? Can I even get one of them since I'm in America?

Any info would be helpful in this decision. There isn't a whole lot on TV for me these days and since I've watched the series since day one and now since it's over, I'd like to have it to watch whenever. I can live without the bonus features (Though they would be nice). So, yeah, I'm done now.
    Last edited by emtardis; 05 May 2009, 08:46 AM.

I can't respond to the basic question as I am debating the same things about getting the SG-1 box set too. 'Course in my case, it would simply be as a gift for my daughter as I already own each of the seasons.

However the question about UK ordering - unless I'm mistaken, and I could well be, they have a different 'regional format' than we do. You would have to make sure that your DVD player will handle it first. I'm surprised that there aren't the double-movie set here in the US, but then the prices have come way down and it might not be profitable. SHRUG!

Best prices I've found for the seasons separately has been at Sam's Club for $15-20. It's something to consider as the packaging is a bit better from what I hear, and you don't have to shell out one lump sum at one time.

Comment

Well if it's the same boxset i've got then it's very poor packaging. Everytime you take out a disc you have to try get your fingers behind the disc and slide it out, so in the end you probably end up with finger marks on the back of the disc and it'll eventually more than likely scratch taking it out and in all the time cause it rubs against the package. It's a crazy design
      As for amazon.co.uk, they ship internationally, i've had stuff shipped from the American amazon before I'm in the UK..If you click on delivery rates at the bottom of the page it'll tell you how much it'd be for delivery!
      sigpic

Comment

$15 - $20 dollars at Sams, eh? Well...now there's something to look into. I'll have to grab my mother for that; she's got a club card.

I'll look into the amazon.co.uk a little bit more. The pounds converted into dollars isn't that much in comparison for what I'd be getting plus better packaging. Could be worth it.

So, when it comes to the American box set, it's pretty much a hit or miss then? I either get a good set or a bad one, and if I get a good one I better invest in new sleeves or so to ensure they stay that way.

Not a rash decision to be made to be sure. I wonder if my local Best Buy has any still in stock they'd let me look at before purchase? I'd really hate to order anything online and get something awful and end up stuck because ofa bad return policy, or due to fine print in said policy.

Comment

I bought all 10 box sets for all ten seasons at Best Buy 'separately'. I haven't had any problems with them. Online ordering will def. be hit or miss. I prefer to buy my DVDs in a store so I can see what they look like before I buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by emtardis View Post
            Hey all, I did a few searches through the forums and have read more than a few reviews for the SG-1 complete series box set and keep coming up with mixed reviews. The one thing I read about the most is defective disks and poor packaging. Another thing I haveread, but am not 100% certain on is some of the episodes are out of order on the disks. Is this true?

Basically, what I want to know is is the box set worth it, or would I be better off purchasing the seasons seperatly? Obviously the box set has content the individual boxes lack. The box sets (At least around here) Are about $20 - $30 bucks, so the box set would be a savings? Or, considering what I read, would it?

I also saw on Wal-Mart's site the box set is up for under $200 and Best Buy under $300 (these prices are not including tax.) As both of these stores are in town, obviously I could return the set and get a replacement or a refund if anything were to be dfective about the complete box set. Has anyone had any trouble in getting their defective disks replaced or being refunded the money?

Another question I have involves the other Complete box sets, the one's that include Ark of Truth, and hte one that has both movies. I am located in the United States nad these items are only available on Amazon.co.uk. Obviously, it would need to be shipped overseas to me, right? Anyone have any info about this? I have NEVER ordered anything online so I'm not sure how that works. I can't pay in pounds, just dollars. Would one of these box sets be worth it? Can I even get one of them since I'm in America?

Any info would be helpful in this decision. There isn't a whole lot on TV for me these days and since I've watched the series since day one and now since it's over, I'd like to have it to watch whenever. I can live without the bonus features (Though they would be nice). So, yeah, I'm done now.
            I have found the complete sieries on ebay for 130-140. Thats a good deal, I just don't want to spend that money and then mabye regret it( watch to much sg and then not enjoy it as much and have my interest change and then have wasted the money). So basically, should i buy it. HELP
            sigpic

Comment

I bought this one as soon as it came out: http://tinyurl.com/dlbvxj which is the one most people have issues with, despite looking great from the outside (which is why i bought it) the packaging is piss poor, hard to get discs out and hard to determine which discs are which. In the uk they used volumne numbers, not season numbers (until recently) and as the discs in this package are just reused from the individuaal season discs it gets hard to select which one you want! I dont think the US version has this problem tho.

A newer box set has come out http://tinyurl.com/djf8au which i wish I had held out for as it is the individual season boxes all together (plus movies) so not only is it proper DVD packaging (albeit the slightly cheaper feeling slimline boxes) but its easier to tell which season is which!!!
              sigpic
              Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
              My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

The boxset has always been fine for me. I never got any scratches.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hêtshepsu View Post

A newer box set has come out http://tinyurl.com/djf8au which i wish I had held out for as it is the individual season boxes all together (plus movies) so not only is it proper DVD packaging (albeit the slightly cheaper feeling slimline boxes) but its easier to tell which season is which!!!
                  I wish I could buy that one, however as I looked, it's Region 2 and I'm Region 1. I would really hate to buy it only to find out I can't watch it. I'm going to be looking at my DVD player and see if it can handle it. I have a Vista laptop, anyone know if region number matters for a computer?

Comment

Regions do matter for a computer. You'll typically have 5 chances to change the settings on your computer to different regions before its automatically set for you. I think there is a program that you can get to unlock this, though.

I've never seen the sleek black box. That's pretty cool!

I got, and returned, the brown box because the disks were poorly packaged and half of them didn't work. I wouldn't advise investing in that set.

Get a dvd player that plays all regions instead! LOL! I have an 'Oppo' and I love it. You can get the code make the player all region. I've had mine for a good 3 or 4 years.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I got the box set on ebay for just over $100 and I LOVED it. I haven't had any problem with it other then a corner got smashed. It was totally worth it.
                      I wish I were an Ancient
                      Polar Bears like Stargate too!

Comment

Working...
                      X