Budget Speculations on new movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Speculations on new movies?

Considering Ark of Truth and Continuum had a budget of 7 million each, what are your thoughts/speculations on the new SG1 and possibly Atlantis movie?

Less? More?
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Continuum got 10 million $, because it had bigger advertisment campaign. But it worked. I've bought them too.

Technically a DVD film is equal to a two parter episode in screen time, and an average episode cost 1,8-2,5 million $, so 5 million $ should be enough for a movie. But I think they could afford bigger salaries, more special effect, different locations, more shooting time and own constructed movie sets from the last 2-5 million $, so they will need at least 6-8 million $ again.

And I don't know the exchange rate between American and Canadian dollar, so it can change the script, if they have to cut out expensive ideas.
    Last edited by Platschu; 04 May 2009, 12:51 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The budget for the new movies depends on how well 'Ark of Truth' and 'Continuum' sold. Does anyone know whether sales were good or not?
      "God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." - Dean Winchester

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Kira View Post
        The budget for the new movies depends on how well 'Ark of Truth' and 'Continuum' sold. Does anyone know whether sales were good or not?
        according to Brad Wright
        GW: When we were here talking to you last year, Ark of Truth had just come out and seemed to be doing very, very well in sales. Continuum was obviously getting ready for its big summer release and the big Comic-Con push. From our end of the table it looked like those movies did tremendously well for direct-to-DVD with the budgets they had. So I've been scratching my head, a little stymied at MGM's thought process in terms of green lighting more.

BW: Well, the reality is, they did do very well. And they did very well right at the tail end of a time when the economy was still really cooking.
        http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...universe.shtml
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

"99p" (sorry... couldn't resist! )

Originally posted by Lord Kira View Post
          Apparently the sales of both went very well indeed! I seem to remember Brad Wright saying it himself in an interview I saw recently somewhere? (Could have actually been here on GW?).

EDIT: Damn... Jumper_One beat me to it! lol
          www.stargatetew.com - An Unofficial Unreal Tournament 3 Total Conversion

www.moddb.com - Change The Game

Comment

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT-DVD.php
            http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGCT-DVD.php

^ These were not updated in the last months and they count only with the USA DVD sales, but I am sure with the DVD sales in other countries and with loaning, they could earn easily 10-15 million dollar income over the budget. How many film maker can say that it can double certainly the production prices in this global financial crisis? I don't know why are MGM and SyFy still waiting. If they haven't got enough people in the crew, than they should hire more...
            Last edited by Platschu; 04 May 2009, 01:18 PM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

£100,000,000 theatrical? a fan can dream....
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

At least the same amount as before, $7 million. Since they are only doing one movie of SG-1 this year, maybe they will push towards $10 million?

But like JMB said above me, imagine if they were presented $100 million budget? TPTB could create a spectacular movie, for the theaters that is. If they can pull off excellent stuff with $7 million, than $100 million is mind boggling.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                  Not bad. Than try to imagine if they could get the budget of a bigger televison series (like LOST or Heroes). What could happen if they could make every episodes from 5-6 million dollar in DVD film quality? Than only theirs fantasy could be the final frontier...

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT-DVD.php
                    http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGCT-DVD.php

^ These were not updated in the last months and they count only with the USA DVD sales, but I am sure with the DVD sales in other countries and with loaning, they could earn easily 10-15 million dollar income over the budget. How many film maker can say that it can double certainly the production prices in this global financial crisis? I don't know why are MGM and SyFy still waiting. If they haven't got enough people in the crew, than they should hire more...
                    They don't include Blu-ray, either, which probably were pretty significant as far as COntinuum was concerned.
                    And it's actually kind of shocking how many films never make their budget. So I would think they'd be very happy with how these films did.
                    Last edited by VSS; 04 May 2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I like your thinking but with the recession and all we should be reasonable and say $75,000,000. Seriously though i believe with the success the DVD's had anywhere up to $15,000,000 is possible.
                      Some say that he has only one ear.
                      And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                      All we know is he's called
                      sigpic

Comment

I would expect a budget similar to what AoT got, maybe would have been more if it weren't for the recession.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stig View Post
                          I like your thinking but with the recession and all we should be reasonable and say $75,000,000. Seriously though i believe with the success the DVD's had anywhere up to $15,000,000 is possible.
                          Well if they could do what they do with $7million, $15 million would be fantastic.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                              Considering Ark of Truth and Continuum had a budget of 7 million each, what are your thoughts/speculations on the new SG1 and possibly Atlantis movie?

Less? More?
                              I'm hoping more, I asked JM on his blog but he gave me no answer. Mabye after 2 SG-1 movie sucesses, MGM might up the budget a little more just to give it some extra(sniffs the air)..... "SPICE".
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X