Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBC's Nora O'Brien dies on 'Parenthood' set (SGA/SG1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBC's Nora O'Brien dies on 'Parenthood' set (SGA/SG1)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...09d029f2bd21aa

NBC's Nora O'Brien dies on 'Parenthood' set
    Was vp drama programming at the network
    By Nellie Andreeva

April 30, 2009, 01:11 PM ET

Updated: April 30, 2009, 02:42 PM ET
    Tragedy struck NBC's pilot "Parenthood" on Wednesday night when NBC drama executive Nora O'Brien died unexpectedly on the Berkeley set of the pilot starring Peter Krause, Maura Tierney and Erike Christensen.

According to sources, O'Brien, a six-year NBC Uni veteran, died of a brain aneurysm.

O'Brien was very well-liked in the creative community, where she had strong relationships.

In light of her passing, NBC canceled its pilot screenings scheduled for Thursday.

O'Brien joined NBC from sister cable network Sci Fi where she served as vp original programming for four years, developing episodic and longform programs, including the critically acclaimed miniseries "The Lost Room," and working as the programming executive on "Stargate" and "Stargate Atlantis."

Oh my God...it's terrifying that this happened so suddenly.

Rest In Peace Ms. O'Brien, and my condolences to her family, friends, and colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Oh my God...it's terrifying that this happened so suddenly.

Rest In Peace Ms. O'Brien, and my condolences to her family, friends, and colleagues.
      Regrettably, most anuerysms strike like a bolt of lightning. One minute there, the next, you're not ....

Comment

....my condolences. I saw her at the Stargate panel at the San Diego Comic Con in 2007.

Comment

More details at

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Comment

http://nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc...enobituar.html

NORA O'BRIEN OBITUARY
            Published: April 30, 2009

[photo at link above]

Nora E. O'Brien of Santa Monica, CA and formerly of West Hartford, CT passed away suddenly on April 29 while on the production set of the new NBC series pilot "Parenthood" in Berkeley, California. Born in Hartford, CT, Nora was a veteran NBC Universal executive who currently served as Vice President of Drama Programming for NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios.

O'Brien was predeceased by her father, Frederick J. O’Brien, M.D., and is survived by her mother, Virginia (Ginny) O’Brien of West Hartford, CT, and her six siblings, their spouses, and 14 nieces and nephews: Michael, his wife Ann, and their children, Michael and Kelly, all of Cheshire, CT; Joan, her husband David Wildfeuer, and their daughter Rachel, all of Berwyn, PA; Timothy, his wife Linda, and their children, Sarah and Kevin, all of Wellesley, MA; Daniel, his wife Andrea, and their daughters Megan, Claire and Erin, all of West Hartford, CT; Erin, her husband Brian Earley, and their children Christina, Meredith, Sean and Brigid, all of Franklin, MA; and Carey, her husband Chris McGlynn, and sons Conor and Brendan, of Oakville, Ontario. O'Brien was also predeceased by her cherished niece Nicole Wildfeuer.

A joint statement issued from Ben Silverman, Co-Chairman, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios; Marc Graboff, Co-Chairman, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios, and Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC and Universal Media Studios, said:

"Nora O'Brien, a veteran programming executive who has worked at NBC Universal for the last six years (most recently in the network/studio drama department), passed away last night while on the set of NBC's drama pilot "Parenthood" in Berkeley, California. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of our beloved colleague Nora, who was respected and cherished by so many people in the entertainment community. She'll truly be missed by all of us."

O’Brien joined Universal Media Studios in her position in January 2008, after having worked at the SCI FI Channel, where she was Vice President of Original Programming. During her four-year tenure there, she developed episodic and long-form programs, including the critically acclaimed miniseries "The Lost Room," and she was the current programming executive on "Stargate" and "Stargate Atlantis." She also interfaced with SCIFI.com on programming ideas and initiatives.

In her studio position, O'Brien acted as both a development and a current executive for scripted series. Some of her projects included "Kings," "The Philanthropist," and "Parenthood." She also oversaw the drama "Bionic Woman," in addition to other pilot development.

Before the SCI FI Channel, O'Brien worked for five years as Vice President of Television for Trilogy Entertainment Group, overseeing development and current programming.

O'Brien was on the board of directors and was a passionate supporter of an organization called Hollywood HEART (www.hollywoodheart.org ), which raises money in support of camps for children afflicted by the AIDS virus.

O'Brien graduated from Northwest Catholic High School, West Hartford, CT, and Boston College with a bachelor of arts degree in economics and communications. She then began her career as an associate producer for Reunion Productions in Boston, where she wrote and produced documentary films. She proceeded to work on both the production and post-production side of several feature films, including "School Ties," "Sliver," "Clear and Present Danger," "Outbreak" and "Starship Troopers."

Calling hours and funeral services are pending and will be held in West Hartford, CT. A memorial service will be held at St. Monica's Catholic Church with a reception to follow at Sonny McClean's in Santa Monica at a future date.

# # #
            MEDIA CONTACT: Curt King, NBC Universal Television Communications, 818-777-3655

Comment

What a sad and scary way to go. RIP.

She was the 'Nora' referenced in '200', wasn't she? ("So...trouble with Nora?" "No, she's great.")

Comment

jow M blogged about nora http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...009-a-sad-day/

targate suffered the loss of a loved and respected member of our extended family yesterday with the sudden passing of Nora O’Brien. Before becoming Vice President of Drama Programming for NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios, Nora was VP of Original Programming at SciFi Channel where, for several years, she oversaw the production of both Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. She was intelligent, skilled, highly-focused and, above all, a genuinely kind and caring individual.

Back on January 22 of 2007, I dedicated a blog entry to the often exasperating process of taking script notes. I wrote: “Still, good notes will not only make the script better, but they will make you a better writer. Bad notes, on the other hand, only serve to frustrate and occasionally cause you to question the intelligence of the person delivering them. For instance, while I may not agree with all of their notes, I respect the people I work with enough to value their input because, more often than not, they’re right. The same can be said for SciFi’s Nora O’Brien who always bring a sharp perspective to every script. In this respect, I am spoiled.”

more via link

Comment

I know some fan accused her for canceling SG-1 and other shows, but this is really a tragedy. RIP Nora!
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It's always sad when someone dies, especially someone so loved & well known in her field of work; may she rest in peace.

Comment

Sorry for the ignorance but how is she related to Stargate??
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                        Sorry for the ignorance but how is she related to Stargate??
                        Reposting from first post...

O'Brien joined NBC from sister cable network Sci Fi where she served as vp original programming for four years, developing episodic and longform programs, including the critically acclaimed miniseries "The Lost Room," and working as the programming executive on "Stargate" and "Stargate Atlantis."

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          Reposting from first post...

Righto sorry about that...was probably skimming the long posts.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                            Righto sorry about that...was probably skimming the long posts.
                            No problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X