This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device to disabled wraith tech.

We know the Ancient had in their posession a Device to disabled wraith technology ... why they didn't simply created a bigger version and put that on every planet, or even around all wraith ship ... so they would attack them and win ,.... Were they that stupid ?
    - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
    - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
    - The Nox

I believe you are reffering to the the device Dr.Mckay found in the episode "Childhood's End", that device, I believe was an EMP which encompassed a small portion of that particular planet, the effects of EMP are knocking out all technology, not just Wraith.
    Basically, the Ancients would have to adandon all technology and live like naturists.

If however, you are reffering to something else, that I missed in the show, then please inform me. ^_^ rather not waste to much energy typing out something that is off topic. *lol*

Comment

The device also affected the Puddle jumper in the episode "Childhood's end" and I am positive that it would affect any other ship that comes too close to the electromagnetic field.

Comment

Plus, the device harnessed the planets unique Magnetic Field. They would be unable to use it anywhere else.

And given the fact that it used up an entire ZPM in under 500 years for only an itty bitty section of the planet, only a dozen tiny villages, and the fact that increasing the field strength would probably use an exponetionally increasing amount of energy, Covering a whole planet could concievably use a ZPM in a few days, if not hours, assuming that they could even create an EMP field that big.

I mean, you make the field 100x bigger, it could draw enough power to drain a ZPM in a year.

Even then, It's still a tiny spec on the world globe.

Make it another 100x bigger, It's now draining the power in a day.
        Last edited by Mio; 08 December 2004, 05:13 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by po134
          We know the Ancient had in their posession a Device to disabled wraith technology ... why they didn't simply created a bigger version and put that on every planet, or even around all wraith ship ... so they would attack them and win ,.... Were they that stupid ?
          I second what has been said so far. I also want to point out that as I unserstand it, the device was not made by the Ancients. Mio states that the device was in operation for about 500 years. I believe this group of humans created the device to escape the Wraith threat using a ZPM they found. Thus the ancients did not have in their possesion a device to disable wraith technology.

Of course it is entirely reasonable that the ancients could create such a device, in fact I would be shocked to learn that they couldn't. But for the reasons already given they didn't, i.e., it knocks out all technology and it's use is specific to a single planet.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
            I second what has been said so far. I also want to point out that as I unserstand it, the device was not made by the Ancients. Mio states that the device was in operation for about 500 years. I believe this group of humans created the device to escape the Wraith threat using a ZPM they found. Thus the ancients did not have in their possesion a device to disable wraith technology.

Of course it is entirely reasonable that the ancients could create such a device, in fact I would be shocked to learn that they couldn't. But for the reasons already given they didn't, i.e., it knocks out all technology and it's use is specific to a single planet.
            maybe they did make it and just wanted to protect that particular planet's people. or maybe it was just one rebel ancient (kinda like janus), who did it under every1's noses.
            Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
            Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
            Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
            Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

But how? the device is apparently only 500 years old. They left for earth way back 10k yrs ago.

I dont know what to think. We assume that the device is only 500 years old which contradicts the fact tha the ancients have not been active in peg galaxy within the last 10k yrs. Of course there are
              Spoiler:
              ascended ancients around, such as sheps g/f from sanctuary, but they dont intervene anymore unless they have done so since the others left for ascension/earth

So if the ancients havent installed it, then somebody else mustve. presumably the ancestors of the kids. We know from before i sleep
              Spoiler:
              that there is one planet with a zpm that has already been explored by sg-a - i figure it is the kid's one, so the logical consequence is that the zpm has been there for 10k years at least. UNLESS the address pointed another planet (maybe teyla's) but i dont think so.

If it was the ancestors then why was the device 100% ancient tech? rodney had it figured out pretty fast which indicates that it was a familiar technology to him, plus he didnt mention anything different.

I personally come to the conclusion that the 500 year thing isnt correct. Unless of course the device has always been there but inactive until some kid kicked a football against it about 500 years ago and activated it by accident.
              I'm confused
              Last edited by PlaZ; 09 December 2004, 08:32 AM.
              You deepfry it - i eat it

Comment

Originally posted by PlaZ
                I personally come to the conclusion that the 500 year thing isnt correct. Unless of course the device has always been there but inactive until some kid kicked a football against it about 500 years ago and activated it by accident.
                I'm confused
                That's quite possible. I mean, the place appeared to be an old city, quite possibly some Ancient's research lab. He may have moved to that planet to study it's unique magnetic field, and created the device to harness it's power before he died.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PlaZ
                  But how? the device is apparently only 500 years old. They left for earth way back 10k yrs ago.

I dont know what to think. We assume that the device is only 500 years old which contradicts the fact tha the ancients have not been active in peg galaxy within the last 10k yrs. Of course there are
                  Spoiler:
                  ascended ancients around, such as sheps g/f from sanctuary, but they dont intervene anymore unless they have done so since the others left for ascension/earth

So if the ancients havent installed it, then somebody else mustve. presumably the ancestors of the kids. We know from sanctuary
                  Spoiler:
                  that there is one planet with a zpm that has already been explored by sg-a - i figure it is the kid's one, so the logical consequence is that the zpm has been there for 10k years at least. UNLESS the address pointed another planet (maybe teyla's) but i dont think so.

If it was the ancestors then why was the device 100% ancient tech? rodney had it figured out pretty fast which indicates that it was a familiar technology to him, plus he didnt mention anything different.

I'm confused
                  err your spoiler is wrong, we learned that in "before i sleep" not "sanctuary"
                  anyway, in "sanctuary"
                  Spoiler:
                  she did say that there were some who didn't move on, not just her, or at least, im pretty sure she said that... so maybe it was one of them

Comment

i'm sorry, of course you're right, it was the other ep. will edit it

Spoiler:
                    yes, some were left behind, she did say that. I imagined that those left behind have also ascended (or at least died either because of plague or age or running with a pair of scissors). like the hot chick (yeah, i know. but i forgot her name).
                    You deepfry it - i eat it

Comment

So why they didn't just send EMP on wraith ship ? ...
                      - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                      - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                      - The Nox

Comment

it would be a suicide mission, doesnt seem like the ancients' style.

Comment

One could assume that they didnt have the necessary resourcecs to produce an EMP device, or maybe because they had limited time?
                          Sure its a shot in the dark, but the world works in mysterious ways. *lol*

Comment

You'd think that a race advanced as the Wraiths would be able to shield their tech from EMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                              You'd think that a race advanced as the Wraiths would be able to shield their tech from EMP.
                              Nooo... No one can be shielded against the all-powerful EMP... Not the Wraiths, not the Ancients, not even the squiddy from the Matrix. They say it is impossible to predict the future, but one thing is for sure: no matter how advance we or any race may become, EMP will always be that fatal weakness that nobody is immuned...

Well maybe the replicators.

Comment

Working...
                              X