PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse renewed for Season 2

Puddle-Jumper
April 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I read the earlier topic about it being sent to the attic, but from what Ive read that issue seemed more to do with contract issues more then anything else.

Could someone tell me what the possibilities are that the show will get a second season?

jelgate
April 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Slim to none in my opinion. The quality aside its just not getting the right numbers for a primetime show

Ishay
April 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
i hope so but from what i've read i doubt it :(

ShadowMaat
April 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Could someone tell me what the possibilities are that the show will get a second season?
Hard to say right now. FOX has assured Joss that they love the show and he's "cautiously optimistic" about the chances for renewal, but I don't trust FOX in the slightest. I still think it's a "Lucy and the football" scenario. Guess we'll see.

Puddle-Jumper
April 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hard to say right now. FOX has assured Joss that they love the show and he's "cautiously optimistic" about the chances for renewal, but I don't trust FOX in the slightest. I still think it's a "Lucy and the football" scenario. Guess we'll see.

Whos lucy and just why does she have a football?... Seriously I don't get the reference...

Damn fox.....

ShadowMaat
April 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Whos lucy and just why does she have a football?... Seriously I don't get the reference...
It's a long-running joke from the Peanuts cartoon. Lucy would offer to hold the football for Charlie Brown, he'd get a running start to kick it, and at the last second she'd yank the ball away, leaving Charlie Brown to kick the air and flip onto his back. And every time she'd promise that no, this time she REALLY REALLY would let him kick it. REALLY. And every time he believed her. And EVERY TIME she yanked it away.

http://onenewday.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

Substitute FOX as Lucy and Joss as Charlie Brown and you get the picture. ;)

Puddle-Jumper
April 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
It's a long-running joke from the Peanuts cartoon. Lucy would offer to hold the football for Charlie Brown, he'd get a running start to kick it, and at the last second she'd yank the ball away, leaving Charlie Brown to kick the air and flip onto his back. And every time she'd promise that no, this time she REALLY REALLY would let him kick it. REALLY. And every time he believed her. And EVERY TIME she yanked it away.

http://onenewday.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

Substitute FOX as Lucy and Joss as Charlie Brown and you get the picture. ;)

Awesome reference..... :D

knowles2
May 1st, 2009, 04:49 AM
The one glimmer of hope is that FOX has compared TSCC and Dollhouse numbers, with supposedly saviour of friday night Prisonbreak and relise that actually both have done better the key demographics than prison break. So that small sliver of hope there. So prison break may not save Dollhouse through bringing in more people to watch it but from the last numbers I sure it may be doing bad enough that it makes Dollhouse/TSCC look descent and worth sticking with for another year. TSCC espcially worth a gamble from FOX may be a miniseries or 13 episode run to see if it can capitalise on the new film or at least give us fans a ending, just to stop us hating them more than we already do.

Ishay
May 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
[ig]http://onenewday.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg[/img]

substitute fox as lucy and joss as charlie brown and you get the picture. ;)

lmao :d

gopher65
May 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I seem to recall one stripe where she lamented on the fact that the reason he believed her was because she was sometimes telling the truth. Sometimes she really was planning to hold the football there, but then yanked it away purely out of habit.

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
i seem to recall one stripe where she lamented on the fact that the reason he believed her was because she was sometimes telling the truth. Sometimes she really was planning to hold the football there, but then yanked it away purely out of habit.
See? Perfect!

Madwelshboy
May 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Support Joss: Tweet to Save Dollhouse Petition

It's no secret that FOX has a hard time trusting Joss Whedon when it comes to his genius mind. I mean look at what they did with Firefly! That's why it is time for the fans to be heard, it's time to get loud! So if you're a Joss Whedon fan, please pay close attention, because we need your help to save Dollhouse!

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dollhouse/support-joss-tweet-to-save-dol-28343.aspx

lunarleviathan
May 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM
If Dollhouse doesn't get a second season I don't blame Fox, I blame the doomsayers among the audience who have been around since day one. The show is not yet dead -- other shows that are still airing (i.e. Prison Break) have already been announced as not-renewed for another season -- meaning that either no decision has been reached or a decision to renew has been reached. No news, as they say, is good news.

If Fox was so disappointed with Dollhouse they would have signalled that there would be no renewal part way through. I highly doubt it is a clear cut decision for them though, so it might not get renewed. But they are or have been considering it, which is all that fans can really ask for.

Campaigns to save the show might do more harm than good. The reality is that such campaigns can only ever serve to draw attention to a cancelled show to make sure proper consideration has been given -- they do not have any direct influence on the decision itself. From the perspective of Fox, they might see signals from fans trying to save Dollhouse as validation of any movement to kill the show. Rather than keep the buzz around the show alive, the doomsayers are taking the limelight away from the core base of support.

Stop sending signals to Fox that you expect them to not renew the show. Don't tempt fate!

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Oh I dunno about blaming the doomsayers. A few disgruntled (non)viewers only ruin the fun for us here on Gateworld, they don't control the fate of an entire show. :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly willing to blame Joss- and FOX- if the show doesn't get renewed. FOX for interfering and Joss for... probably for being Joss. LOL! I like the show fine and I hope it gets renewed, but asking folks to sit through that much stuff just to get to the good parts is a bit much. I know I mentioned I liked the occasional slow-burn series, but even I was getting a bit antsy by ep 6, so I can understand folks who'd given up by then or who weren't all that impressed by the time it finally took off.

I've never been a fan of blaming the audience for a show's failure. IMO if that many people are upset about something- or hate it, or are bored by it or whatever- then that speaks more to the writing than the viewers. I mean, you guys don't seriously expect people to tune into a show the don't like just to keep it on the air for you, do you? Although judging by some of the stuff I saw in the Stargate folders in that show's final days, that's exactly what some people think. LOL!

Anyway, hopes are still supposed to be good for a renewal, although I'm not sure audience numbers support that. It's still a game of wait and see.

Gregorius
May 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
There's large chance it won't get a second season because it's a SciFi series and in order to get what's going on you need to see all episodes. If you fail to see all the episodes you'll miss that the first 6 episodes or something, while boring and slow-paced, served as an introduction to the dollhouse, the emerging self-awareness of Echo and her friendships with Sierra and Victor. Most people find the clues dropped to be to subtle and the first six episodes to be too boring to continue watching the series. Even I have to admit that the only reason I kept watching the first few episodes was to see what kind of skimpy outfit they'd fit the actives in, because plotwise it wasn't that strong. It only got enjoyable when the main arc kicked in and the small hints dropped in the slow episodes started to make sense.

If it does get a second season it's probably because it's easy for Fox to sex it up a bit. More women in skimpy outfits and more men bare breasted means that people will watch it.

I do hope that the series gets a second season, mostly because I'm curious about what Alpha will do next.

Madwelshboy
May 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Radha: Dollhouse's chances of renewal are reportedly slim. Please, please say it isn't so! Do you have any happier news?

You know that 14th episode of Dollhouse that's set in a post-Apocalyptic universe and that won't be appearing on Fox network but will be included on the season-one DVD? Well, no one's officially confirming anything, and this is all still entirely in the theoretical dreamy dream stage, but reliable sources tell us exclusively that spinning off "Epitaph One" into a new series is "not exactly outside the realm of Joss’ master plan." So even if Dollhouse proper doesn't get a pickup for season two, there might still be an alternate Dollverse for us to play in. What do you think of that?!

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b123022_this_just_in_greys_anatomy_going_kill.html

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
According to Whedonesque (http://whedonesque.com/comments/20276) Global TV is reporting Dollhouse as renewed, but FOX is balking and saying any official announcement will be made at the upfront presentation next week.

knowles2
May 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Well if Dollhouse renewed, rumored, then surly Sarah conner chronicles got to be renewed, they were both equal in ratings for the time they aired together.

gopher65
May 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Well if Dollhouse renewed, rumored, then surly Sarah conner chronicles got to be renewed, they were both equal in ratings for the time they aired together.
I kind of hope so, because that show just started to get interesting. But TSCC is fairly expensive, while Dollhouse is CGI-free (to all intents and purposes), has 1 major set that is used week in and week out (and in which several episodes happen almost exclusively), and will be for the whole series.

Scripted shows on major networks don't get much cheaper than that, unless they are sitcoms:cool:.

Vladius
May 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Dollhouse is not a good show so it will not last. Firefly was ten times better than Dollhouse.

Good day sir.

jelgate
May 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Dollhouse is not a good show so it will not last. Firefly was ten times better than Dollhouse.

Good day sir.

Care to justify that bold claim?

Vladius
May 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Care to justify that bold claim?

No.

Although, I will say that it is reviewed a lot less favorably by places like IGN.

knowles2
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
When did they stop watching it. I hear a lot of people callinn rubbish on that site, and then you read what they say and most of them had stop watching at episode 6 or lower.

The rest of the episodes are so much better the first 6 its just undeniable that JOSS was telling truth the networked interfered on those episode because untick in quality has gone from bad to I see hope, and then good - to the last three being plain excellent all round.

Vladius
May 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
When did they stop watching it. I hear a lot of people callinn rubbish on that site, and then you read what they say and most of them had stop watching at episode 6 or lower.

The rest of the episodes are so much better the first 6 its just undeniable that JOSS was telling truth the networked interfered on those episode because untick in quality has gone from bad to I see hope, and then good - to the last three being plain excellent all round.

So the first six episodes that establish the base for the show... are the bad ones?

knowles2
May 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
So the first six episodes that establish the base for the show... are the bad ones?

yep and it onwards and upwards from there really.
And if what I heard about 13th straight to dvd is right it could get even better.

Amalthea
May 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM

I think it's fair to say that the first 6 give you the information about the show, but don't advance it as much as they could have, especially when compared to the last 6. I wish Fox would learn to leave well enough alone!

pjt
May 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Bad? They are not bad, but they are missing the depth of the later episodes. But that's Fox's stupidity, 'cos they are constantly scared that a show will be too complicated for their audience, as if the audience is filled with drooling cretins. Actually it's the Fox management that is filled with drooling cretins and not the people that watch the show.

Vladius
May 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Bad? They are not bad, but they are missing the depth of the later episodes. But that's Fox's stupidity, 'cos they are constantly scared that a show will be too complicated for their audience, as if the audience is filled with drooling cretins. Actually it's the Fox management that is filled with drooling cretins and not the people that watch the show.

There I have to agree with you.

Madwelshboy
May 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Could Dollhouse Return? - Despite the low ratings, a Season 2 is not impossible.

Could Dollhouse come back for a second season? It's been looking increasingly bleak for the show, as the ratings have dropped for nearly every episode, down to a series low (and under three million viewers) for the season finale this past Friday.

Despite that though, The Hollywood Reporter's James Hibberd says Dollhouse fans shouldn't lose hope, saying at this point, "the show is still alive."

Hibberd says that Joss Whedon pitched his plans for a potential Season 2 to FOX late last week and that "Discussions have commenced between Fox and the studio about how to make the show work financially."

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/982/982407p1.html

major davis
May 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Possibly, dk.

Madwelshboy
May 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Surprise: Fox leaning toward 'Dollhouse' renewal

In an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will), sources say Fox is -- and this could change before Monday's upfront presentation -- leaning toward bringing back Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse” next fall.

The low-rated Friday night show was last seen given up for dead by the media in a field somewhere.

But its DVR numbers are strong, online streaming is strong. It’s a sci-fi show, which tend to bring in nice ancillary revenue such as DVD sales for sister-company studio 20th TV. And it’s said that Fox execs rather like the series, especially the latter half of the season.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-second-season.html

Killdeer
May 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm stunned, but apparently it's coming back. :eek:

May 15, 2009
Surprise: Fox RENEWS 'Dollhouse'

UPDATED: In an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will), sources say Fox will renew Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse” for next fall.

The official announcement will not be made until Monday, but sources say this is happening.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/primetime-pilot-panic-fox-gives-joss-whedons-dollhouse-2nd-season/

Wow. I didn't think there was a chance.

Fenrir Foxz
May 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm stunned, but apparently it's coming back. :eek:

May 15, 2009
Surprise: Fox RENEWS 'Dollhouse'

UPDATED: In an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will), sources say Fox will renew Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse” for next fall.

The official announcement will not be made until Monday, but sources say this is happening.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/primetime-pilot-panic-fox-gives-joss-whedons-dollhouse-2nd-season/

Wow. I didn't think there was a chance.

Awesome news. :cool:

Thanks Killdeer. :)

sparklegem
May 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Whooh-hooh! Yay! Thanks Fox!

This is great, especially because weeks ago many different media sources were giving it a very slim to none chance at renewal. Let's hope that Dollhouse can honor the taken-away-too-soon Firefly by continuing to be quality Whedon TV and maybe even as good as Firefly itself?

Amalthea
May 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hooray! I'm so happy! I don't think I could have handled losing yet another show!

Pharaoh Atem
May 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hooray! I'm so happy! I don't think I could have handled losing yet another show!

http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.php?albumid=1384&pictureid=15013

damn right

kennythewraith
May 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
if dollhouse does get a 2nd season from fox....thank firefly because it will be because of fireflys treatment and eventual huge popularity that fox missed out on.

Killdeer
May 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The thrfeed.com article posted above has been updated again. There's been some speculation that the show might move to another night, but apparently it's staying on Friday nights.

And I thought this was interesting:

The move is tougher to explain than most, especially based on the show's ratings. A “Dollhouse” pickup is a shock, an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will). In fact, "Dollhouse" might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network. Almost certainly if based on where the show concluded -- a 1.0 among adults 18-49.

More here (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-second-season.html#more)

Pharaoh Atem
May 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
if dollhouse does get a 2nd season from fox....thank firefly because it will be because of fireflys treatment and eventual huge popularity that fox missed out on.

the series was renewed

jelgate
May 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
the series was renewed

You don't know that yet. All signs point to it being renewed but you don't that for certain until their is an offical word from Fox.

knowles2
May 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
the series is renewed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8053531.stm

Through what they producers will cut to decrease the budget I have not got a clue.

Pharaoh Atem
May 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
You don't know that yet. All signs point to it being renewed but you don't that for certain until their is an offical word from Fox.
http://www.scifistream.com/2009/05/15/fox-makes-it-almost-official-dollhouse-renewed/

i was referring to this

sparklegem
May 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
"Dollhouse" might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network. Almost certainly if based on where the show concluded -- a 1.0 among adults 18-49.[/I]

Really? That's really interesting. In that case, we should be really thankful to the Fox execs for making this gutsy decision against the standard business model. Many fans are quick to villify Fox execs, but they are a business and they need to make a profit and take care of their company. I'm so happy they found a way to justify continuing Dollhouse.

Maybe this is also an indication that live Nielsen ratings are slipping in this digital age as the end-all determination for a show's success.

Amalthea
May 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Really? That's really interesting. In that case, we should be really thankful to the Fox execs for making this gutsy decision against the standard business model. Many fans are quick to villify Fox execs, but they are a business and they need to make a profit and take care of their company. I'm so happy they found a way to justify continuing Dollhouse.

Maybe this is also an indication that live Nielsen ratings are slipping in this digital age as the end-all determination for a show's success.

I think it definitely is a sign. The fact that it receives a 40% bump if you factor in DVR share is huge. I am impressed with Fox for moving past antiquated ratings evaluations. If only other networks would do the same!

Madwelshboy
May 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
In fact, "Dollhouse" might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network. Almost certainly if based on where the show concluded -- a 1.0 among adults 18-49.[/I]

Who ever wrote the article mite want to get some fact straight, according to TV by the numbers (a site that basiclly is all about ratings and demos), Dollhouse has a 1.5 STD 18-49, Live + same day.

Demo information from Tv by the numbers:- http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/12...sit-down/18500

Killdeer
May 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Actually, TVbytheNumbers reported that Dollhouse got a 1.0 in Adults 18-49 for the finale. Which is what the article is referring to - that's where Dollhouse ended at.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/09/friday-ratings-numbers-for-dollhouse-finale-friday-shows-delayed/

Btw, when I click your link, it says that page is not found? :confused:

Madwelshboy
May 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Actually, TVbytheNumbers reported that Dollhouse got a 1.0 in Adults 18-49 for the finale. Which is what the article is referring to - that's where Dollhouse ended at.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/09/friday-ratings-numbers-for-dollhouse-finale-friday-shows-delayed/

Btw, when I click your link, it says that page is not found? :confused:

Oh rite, the numbers i was looking, were for the season average

try this:http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/12/fox-oddsmakers-renewal-chances-for-dollhouse-terminator-sit-down/18500

if not the article is called: Fox Oddsmakers: Renewal Chances For Dollhouse, Terminator, Sit Down. its pretty easy to find from the main page.

Killdeer
May 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Oh right, yeah, I've seen that page - the Renew/Cancel index. :)

Madwelshboy
May 17th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Now that we know that these a 2nd season, i've made a season 2 thread here:-
Season 2 Hopes/Fears/Predictions !! *Contains SPOILERS through S1 and finale* http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66594

Giantevilhead
May 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Tru Calling was renewed for 13 episode too but it ended up getting 7 with two episodes that didn't even air.

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Do the numbers really matter? It got renewed; that's what counts.

JayShadow
May 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Through what they producers will cut to decrease the budget I have not got a clue.Shouldn't be too hard. Usually the first thing most shows do is negotiate actor contracts so they're only in a certain amount of episodes instead of all of them. They can just rotate the characters in and out instead of paying all the actors for every episode. There were plenty of times when Victor or Sierra weren't really necessary for an episode. Tons of times where Ballard felt tacked on just to remind us he was there, although that might be different after the finale. You can probably even get away without DeWitt and Langton occasionally if you do a few episodes that don't need management's involvement. Also Amy Acker is on a new show, so Dr Saunders probably won't be appearing that often, if at all. I wish you could occasionally have Echo sit out but being executive producer, and having your face plastered on every commercial break makes that pretty unlikely.

Killdeer
May 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Fox's official schedule has been announced - Dollhouse stays on Friday nights in the same spot. Here's a posting of the official press release.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/18/fox2009-10-schedule-announced/18882

Madwelshboy
May 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Fox's official schedule has been announced - Dollhouse stays on Friday nights in the same spot. Here's a posting of the official press release.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/18/fox2009-10-schedule-announced/18882

Its interesting that Dollhouse is listed for the fall and midseason with only a 13 episode order.

Killdeer
May 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Its interesting that Dollhouse is listed for the fall and midseason with only a 13 episode order.

I know - I noticed that too. :confused:

Madwelshboy
May 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I know - I noticed that too. :confused:

A) there will one hell of a break at some point during the 13 episode (which would be a major bad idea)
B) They will repeat the new episodes again following the xmas/new york hiatus
C) season 1 will re-air in the fall, with season 2 from midseason
D) the pick up was for 13 episode with the potential for a back half pick up, if the show dose well ratings wise/dvd sales for season 1 are high enough.

Those are the only reasons i can think of

jelgate
May 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
It actually not uncommon for Fox. It Dollhouse does poorly they will most likely not air the whole season or it does well Fox will increase the episode numbers

Killdeer
May 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Robert Seidman from TVbytheNumbers posted some thoughts about FOX's scheduling decisions for next year. His opinion seems to be that the Dollhouse renewal was more about its lower cost than anything else.

While I buy that DVR viewing did increase Dollhouse’s cumulative numbers, I still do not buy it being a primary factor in FOX’s decision to renew Dollhouse. I’m not sure I buy it being any factor at all. I buy Dollhouse being a lower cost/higher benefit option for FOX. TSCC’s cumulative numbers increased about as much as Dollhouse’s with DVR viewing. But TSCC cost more, and since it was WB produced there was no potential benefit at all to FOX with regard to DVD, international, online and syndication. Bottom line if it’s cheap enough, FOX will air it (hello, ‘Til Death!), TSCC wasn’t cheap enough, Dollhouse was and with added benefit potential. Is FOX betting on Joss Whedon? Sure, they are. But it seems a low cost, low risk bet from FOX’s perspective.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/18/thoughts-on-foxs-upfront-reality-fringe-dollhouse-and-sarah-connor/18930

huntress
May 19th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I just read over at Daily Hollywood that Fox has officially announced that there will be a second season of Dollhouse! Unfortunately they announced almost at the same time that TSCC will not come back. I didn't watch the show (always wanted to but never found the time) but I know a lot of fans here did. Anyway, I am just happy that the show will be back :D

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/primetime-pilot-panic-fox-gives-joss-whedons-dollhouse-2nd-season

bklynscififan
July 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'm glad they renewed Dollhouse. I enjoy the concept of the show, and the characters are complex.