Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Plain Sight on USA: Discussion, Spoilers, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Plain Sight on USA: Discussion, Spoilers, etc.

I've just started getting into this show. S2 started last week, and I have the S1 set from the library and am catching up.

Mary's an interesting character - a little abrasive sometimes yet softhearted, and her family life is a trainwreck, but I'm still intrigued by the whole show concept.

Anyone else watching this show? Any thoughts?
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

I haven't seen much of season 1 either, but I started watching s2 last week. I like it too. It's interesting that while her family is screwed up, I think she's pretty screwed up as well. Just in a different way. I think it makes her an interesting character that she's not always the most endearing I guess is the only word I can think of.

Comment

I agree. Mary is messed up too - she's had to be the only stable one in her family for a long time, and plus what she went through at the end of S1 - I don't think we've seen the end of her PTSD.

It's interesting that, after having to take care of her family all her life, she's ended up in a job having to take care and protect and arrange other people's lives.

I think the Witness Protection stuff is also interesting. And I wasn't sure what to think about her partner Marshall at first, but he's really growing on me. He's kind of an odd guy, but I like how he really seems to get Mary, when most other people don't really.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

I like Marshall too. I wasn't quite sure what to think of at first either. I think there was a point in the first season where he wasn't sure about whether he could deal with her or if he was what she needed in a partner, but he is one of the few if not the only one who does know how to handle her.

Comment

Yeah, he does seem to understand her the best.

I like Stan too - their boss. And the police detective - can't remember his name.

I'm not so fond of her mom and sister. But I guess they give some context for why she is the way she is. I think I could do with a little less focus on their continual screwups though.
          - Life after Stargate -
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, her sister is starting to annoy me the most. Last night's episode was good.
            Spoiler:
            Mary had a psychiatrist following her along. It was nice to see a lead character not getting away with blowing off the psychiatrist or something that they're expected to do, but don't want to do.
            I'll have to rewatch the episode because I kept getting interrupted.

Comment

Yeah, I agree.
              Spoiler:
              I wonder what's going to happen with the FBI guy? Btw, I read somewhere that he's played by her brother.
              - Life after Stargate -
              sigpic

Comment

Finally found this thread. Another good episode.
                Spoiler:
                And another ending that took me by surprise. Wow, Mary's mothers is finally taking responsibility for her actions. That video of her really got her. I was a little afraid Brandy's going to that AA meeting would continue to be a secret from that guy for longer than that episode. And I just remembered something. The guy at the AA meeting was on the show The West Wing, same as Mary McCormic.

And for the case of the week I had a feeling the oldest kid was skipping school to take care of his siblings. Neither was I surprised when in the end he chose not to take foster care. Interesting reasoning for not doing it. He had Mary.

Comment

This show can be painfully real sometimes - I think that's why it's so good.

Spoiler:
                  I'm glad they're showing some character growth for both Jinx and Brandi. Yeah, Jinx finally saw herself as everyone else did. I hope it sticks. And I was glad that Brandi 'fessed up - I was afraid she might keep up the secret for weeks to keep seeing that guy. She seems to be growing up a little - maybe what happened to Mary got through to her a bit. I've never seen West Wing, but I think that guy guest starred on Stargate a time or two.

They did a good job of working the case into what was happening with Mary's personal life. I actually wasn't thinking about him trying to take care of his family - I figured he was just acting out, like Mary did. Poor kid. His mother - wow. Her whole goal in life is to find a rich man to take care of them? *shakes head*

Hulu has put up a notice that after this week, the episodes are going to be delayed a week. So I'm going to be a week behind you from now on, unless the USA website posts them at the regular time. I just checked there, and they didn't say anything about delaying them, so....we'll see. Wish I could get USA live, but no such luck.

Next week's episode looks pretty exciting!
                  Last edited by Killdeer; 04 May 2009, 05:33 PM.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I know I'm an episode behind now, but what did you think about Rubble With A Cause? I thought
                    Spoiler:
                    it was one of the best episodes they've ever done.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      Well, I know I'm an episode behind now, but what did you think about Rubble With A Cause? I thought
                      Spoiler:
                      it was one of the best episodes they've ever done.
                      That was definitely a good episode. I really liked how they wove in what Mary's been dealing with through this case. Mary's line to Marshall was funny. "I'd sell you out for a Twinkie". I think that's how the line went. I love their partnership. I'm very glad the show didn't go the cliched route of UST between the partners.

I'm going to have to rewatch this last Sunday's episode. I wasn't home alone to watch it and wasn't able to concentrate on it much, but I just have to say this about it. Nothing spoilery beyond the name of a guest actor.
                      Spoiler:
                      RICHARD SCHIFF WAS IN THE EPISODE!

Comment

I have been watching this show on Hulu and I love it
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

The show has been renewed for two more seasons. LINK
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

yay good news
                            sigpic
                            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

In Plain Sight cancelled.

In spite of its two season renewal last year, IPS is getting its fifth season reduced to eight episodes, and it's been made clear that it will be the final season. From the link above...
                              The network is couching the news as a fifth season renewal, but in a way it really isn’t since the USA announced the show would continue for two more seasons last year.
                              I think the cancellation fairies decided that I've gotten off far too easily lately. First Eureka now this. Honestly though, I can't say I'm all that surprised on this one. IPS has been USA's lowest rated scripted show for a while now*, and I was stunned when it got a two season renewal last year. And I am grateful (especially in light of Sunday's finale) that they're at least allowing a shortened fifth season to wrap it up instead of cancelling it completely. I didn't really expect it to continue past next year anyway, so it's just a loss of five episodes I suppose.

*except possibly for Fairly Legal, and it aired at a different time of year.
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X