Atlantis Resin Model Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Resin Model Review

Right the Ebay auction is long since over but I just got mine from another auction.

I'm over all pleased with the models (It's a two pack) but at the same time I'm hesitant to handle them too much, unlike my Armoury Hobbies Daedalus model which is usually in my shirt pocket.

As you can see from the pictures (Most noticeable in the side shot) there are a LOT of tiny pieces sticking up, while that adds to the detail it also makes the model as fragile as the ship it's based on, only this one doesn't have any shields to protect it.

Heck during clean up (Cutting away mold seam lines) I accidentally snapped one of the fins off of a pier (The one on my thumb in the "Atlantis top" shot). It's a bottom fin and I can probably re-attatch it but still, makes me wary of doing much more than painting and shelving. I had actually planned to use the spare in a little Diorama but that's doubtful now.

All in all I'd say they're worth the $20 plus shipping if you intend to paint and display them. I don't regret the purchase which is always nice.

EDIT: Cleaning the casting lines is actually pretty easy and this model accepts sanding very well, nice smooth surface, in fact after sanding the model itself is lighter in color than it was originally. This will make my painting job easier.
    Last edited by Phantom6; 26 April 2009, 09:53 AM.

Sorry for the bump but rather than create a whole new thread I figured it best to just use my existing one.

I've gotten the painting of the base coat done. I'm just having trouble figuring out where to go from here.

I planned on dry brushing it with white but it would come out REALLY bright so I figured I'd blend some fo the light grey I have into the white to dull the brightness.

On top of that every single image I've seen of Atlantis it's a different color or shade. Some of that can be attributed to lighting but in some shots the city looks almost black.

So I need some clear shots, top and bottom of the city to try an color match for my model.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Here's a website that has some pics of Atlantis:

http://www.alecm.com/gallery.htm

Pure 3D model, nothing else.

Comment

Looks cool, i got the daedalus model from starshipmodeler last week, made by bar and man that ship is awsome!! i already painted it and it looks amazing. i saw those atlantis model on the web and i was thinking of getting one but it looks too small for me, i hope a modeler can make a bigger one; ill buy that one.
        "Daniel?"
        "For crying out loud!!"
        "Roddney?"
        "now get your ass back to work and fix those damn engines!!"

Comment

In this instance if not others smaller is better.

I mean, the shape of the city is odd to begin with imagine it being bigger. Kinda unruly to store/display.

Not to mention the shipping required for a model like this in a large format.

Oh well.

Here's the latest.

Thanks to those CG model shots I was able to layer some pale blue on the "Deck" and am in the process of blending up some "dark white" (Not quite grey but not snow) to dry brush on for a little bit of a lighter look.

The bottom of the city has some dry brush "Water line" on it, that was a bit of a pain in the butt though, the only brush I have that's suited for dry brushing is a little on the large side when compared to this model.

Comment

Where can I buy it?

Comment

Very cool item!
              www.stitchsloft.com
              For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
              "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
              www.scifihero.net

Comment

IS this model still available?

Comment

My wife bought me a couple I love them, think he is still making them!
                  www.stitchsloft.com
                  For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
                  "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
                  www.scifihero.net

Comment

He is? - Who?

Of course the real question is do they float?

Comment

Working...
                    X