What makes the ships go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes the ships go?

Now don't think that I am really stupid, I'm just curious.
    Sure they all have some kind of engine; sub-light, intersteller...ect...But what actually make them run.
    It seems that we humans would have tried to use fuel but it would take lots and lots more then we ever could use for it. Is it simply just moved by energy? Big battery? What?

Originally posted by Hallnavy View Post
    Now don't think that I am really stupid, I'm just curious.
    Sure they all have some kind of engine; sub-light, intersteller...ect...But what actually make them run.
    It seems that we humans would have tried to use fuel but it would take lots and lots more then we ever could use for it. Is it simply just moved by energy? Big battery? What?
    I believe all the spacecraft are thrust based, aside from those that can land on a planet, then there is some type of repulsor action.

Thrust based can be like jet fuel, or it can be ions, or something even smaller. I would assume the Asgard engines use something very light, very efficient, and very energy reactive(repulsive, not combustive)
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

according to translations of displays, there is a gravity pod, aswell as normal sublight.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
        I believe all the spacecraft are thrust based, aside from those that can land on a planet, then there is some type of repulsor action.

Thrust based can be like jet fuel, or it can be ions, or something even smaller. I would assume the Asgard engines use something very light, very efficient, and very energy reactive(repulsive, not combustive)
        was the prometheous without the asgard ion propulsion system? or are the asgard propulsion systems something else. What i do know however is how EXTREMELY ineffecient and slow human ion propulsion is compared to rocket fuel. Im not sure but im guessing if the prometheous was using human based drives it would have to be rocketfuel, but in the show it looks more like ion, which would be unrealistic.

Comment

the daedalus, when it first reach atlantis, was powered by a ZPM, but I don't know what they normally use...
          sigpic
          Sig by RogueRanger

Comment

Hmmm...
            Well thanks for the answers....
            Some of it was cleaned up. I just never was sure....
            Thanks again guys...

Comment

What makes them go?

Physics.

Comment

Hamsters. Hundreds of thousands of them all spinning on there own little wheels.
                supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

such a shame we cant red anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Todd The Wraith View Post
                    was the prometheous without the asgard ion propulsion system? or are the asgard propulsion systems something else. What i do know however is how EXTREMELY ineffecient and slow human ion propulsion is compared to rocket fuel. Im not sure but im guessing if the prometheous was using human based drives it would have to be rocketfuel, but in the show it looks more like ion, which would be unrealistic.
                    If I remember correctly the Prometheus was being powered by a hyperdrive taken from a captured Goa'uld cargo ship. If that is indeed the case then it would be fueled by Naquadah.
                    sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Well, Prometheus did have an al'kesh hyperdrive for a while.
                      But then the asgard gave us one of their hyperdrives.
                      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

That's right, I forgot about that.
                        sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                          Well, Prometheus did have an al'kesh hyperdrive for a while.
                          But then the asgard gave us one of their hyperdrives.
                          Earth: Master Scavengers of the galaxy.
                          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Working...
                          X