X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Evolution of Todd

(Some mild spoilers ahead for S3-S5)

While in a discussion at the WDC, I started to think about Todd, and the ways he has - and has not - changed since his introduction. I thought folks who are not regulars at the WDC might want to join in, so I'm starting this thread so all can have a share.

The thoughts came to me while discussing the Wraith from The Defiant One. Writer/director Peter DeLuise, and actor James Lafazanos, both made some comments about the guy:

~~~~~

Peter DeLuise, who wrote and directed the episode, said, "I got to try to envision what the Wraith were like 10,000 years ago. I tired to create a more barbaric version of the Wraith, because they are quite stoic, more cool-headed than I think they would have been in the past. I left it a little ambiguous, but I tried to impy that the guy have been there for 10,000 years. He had been there since the original attack on Atlantis."

James Lafazanos, who portrayed the Wraith ('Greg'), said, "He's supposed to be ancient, even beyond the age of most Wraith. So I felt that he was kind of like an old pirate, because he was the commander of a ship that crash landed on this planet and he was the only remaining one because he ate all the cargo and his crew. That tells you something about him!

"Peter DeLuise had a vision for sure, that this one Wraith was pretty much wild, a real bruite that had no code of ethics at all, not even amongst Wraith. He was smart, but just animalistic. I remember on the days we were out there in the Richmond desert, he was really pushing me, more than any other episode with any other Wraith character, to really show the buck-wild animal that Wraith can be. And I think it came across."

~~~~~

Now, I know that different writers, directors and actors have different visions for the characters, still I can't help but to compare Todd to this Wraith from The Defiant One, since both are 10,000+ years old...both from the same stock, so to speak.

So, first - how is Todd similar? How is Todd 'a more barbaric version of the Wraith', 'a real brute...the buck-wild animal that Wraith can be'?

I think this can easily been seen in Common Ground, where Todd has shown his most vicious side yet. He's brutal in the kill, certainly nothing like the 'dainty' Steve when he attempted to feed. In CG we watch as Todd savors Sheppard many times, and he is far from polite about it. Barbaric? Perhaps. He snaps necks, kills 6 men in a matter of moments, and speaks with snarls and grunts and hisses. Surely a more barbaric, less stoic, Wraith than most we have seen.

Even after his exposure and interaction with humans, and his reintroduction into a now more refined Wraith society, Todd still shows that wild side every now and then, especially in episodes like The Queen, Infection, and The Lost Tribe. Some say that Todd has been 'humanized', but I disagree. Todd is not 'humanized', though he has learned how to put on a human front while interacting with the Lanteans, a front that he dropped when he slit the Primary Queen's throat, and when - in a sick and desperate state - he lashed out at Sheppard.

Not human...just learning how best to play the game.

Even with his assumed air of human sophistication, Todd remains essentially what he has been for 10,000 years - a grizzly ol' Wraith, one that still resists the refinement of his own kind. What a contrast between Todd - with his unkempt hair and (as Chris Heyerdahl revealed in an interview) his jagged, broken nails - and the silken-haired, perfectly manicured Steve.

And yet -despite being a Wraith from a more barbaric time - Todd has vision, and has shown both a desire and ability to change. Even if such a change is simply to benefit himself, it's still more than what most Wraith are willing to do, and shows an unusual amount of open-mindedness for someone of his kind, and especially his age. In this, if in nothing else,Todd has truly evolved.

So...any thoughts? Please share!

das
    Last edited by dasNdanger; 19 April 2009, 05:02 PM.
    sigpic

In Common Ground, I think Todd was wild and barbaric more because he suffered years of torture and starvation. He would take any bite he can get and his "eating manners" were messy as a result. Plus, like Teal'c in Company of Thieves, he went wild after escaping because he finally became free from bondage and so would do anything to escape.

As for The Queen and The Lost Tribe, I don't think Todd was wild at all. He left the entire crew of the Daedalus alive, even though he assumed they would die in the crash and could have eaten them instead of letting them "go to waste". He was cunning and would do all that was necessary to accomplish his goal, both in The Queen and in The Lost Tribe. I think this shows his more "modern" side, carefully planning his every move instead of blindly flailing about like a savage.

Finally, of course he went a little wild in Infection. Anyone would go crazy if a disease turns your crew into cannibals and you fear that it will do the same to you, or even kill you. He was understandably frustrated at Sheppard and the team for putting him in that situation.

In my opinion, he didn't really "evolve" throughout the series. Sure, he is very old, but the Wraith mastered technology to defeat the Ancients 10,000 years ago, so they couldn't all be savages. Todd shows that he uses those 10,000 years of experience whenever he needs it to accomplish his own agenda. He isn't just a grizzly ol' Wraith. He is a Wraith in control of his own destiny, who doesn't answer to a queen and does what he needs to do to survive, and screw any other Wraith (and occasionally humans).

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
      In Common Ground, I think Todd was wild and barbaric more because he suffered years of torture and starvation. He would take any bite he can get and his "eating manners" were messy as a result. Plus, like Teal'c in Company of Thieves, he went wild after escaping because he finally became free from bondage and so would do anything to escape.
      On the surface I would tend to agree with you, had it not been for the wild look in his eye after he killed the Primary. He wasn't suffering from the effects of bondage, or starving - just vicious.

Moments like that serve to remind us that Todd is Wraith, through and through.

The main difference between Todd and the Wraith in The Defiant One is that Todd wasn't separated from his kind for 10,000 years. Of course, we don't know how long he was in that prison, but I don't think it was that long. So, unlike that dusty fella in the desert, Todd was still a part of Wraith society during most of the years following the war with the Ancients, which would certainly mellow some of his more barbaric personality traits.

As for The Queen and The Lost Tribe, I don't think Todd was wild at all. He left the entire crew of the Daedalus alive, even though he assumed they would die in the crash and could have eaten them instead of letting them "go to waste". He was cunning and would do all that was necessary to accomplish his goal, both in The Queen and in The Lost Tribe. I think this shows his more "modern" side, carefully planning his every move instead of blindly flailing about like a savage.
      As for The Lost Tribe - yes, Todd was controlled because he knew he had to be. Todd wants something bigger than just what can be had at the moment. He is very self-disciplined when necessary, without being stoic like the younger Wraith we've seen. And we can pretty much assume he was bluffing about feeding on Woolsey, though if Sheppard forced his hand (pun intended), I don't think Todd would have held back - Woolsey would have been dust.

Finally, of course he went a little wild in Infection. Anyone would go crazy if a disease turns your crew into cannibals and you fear that it will do the same to you, or even kill you. He was understandably frustrated at Sheppard and the team for putting him in that situation.
      Yes, we could say that the illness made him a bit wild, however...he was perfectly reserved afterwards, when Sheppard allowed him to leave. I wouldn't say that the infection was making Todd crazy, but that it made him less disciplined - he dropped the 'act', so to speak, and let his true nature show.

Now - don't get me wrong...I ADORE Todd's true nature! I love him cranky and snarly and dangerous. I also like it when he tells a few jokes. But I find his Wraithness more appealing than his 'human' side.

In my opinion, he didn't really "evolve" throughout the series. Sure, he is very old, but the Wraith mastered technology to defeat the Ancients 10,000 years ago, so they couldn't all be savages. Todd shows that he uses those 10,000 years of experience whenever he needs it to accomplish his own agenda. He isn't just a grizzly ol' Wraith. He is a Wraith in control of his own destiny, who doesn't answer to a queen and does what he needs to do to survive, and screw any other Wraith (and occasionally humans).
      I don't think DeLuise was suggesting that 10,000 year old Wraith were 'savages' - just more barbaric, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say 'less refined' than modern Wraith. He acknowledged the 'Defiant One's' intelligence, but he was still a bit of a wild thing, too. Todd is somewhere in the middle. He holds himself proud, he speaks well and dresses smartly, but pays little mind to his personal care, suggesting that his lack of concern over hair and nail care is a holdover from the days when Wraith were a bit more beastly. And every now and then he slips back into a more savage disposition, one that reminds us exactly what he's capable of.

His 'evolution' is mostly in the form of his adaptation to new ways, something that other Wraith tend to reject. Todd is willing to take chances others will not, and it's because Sheppard gave him a new lease on life, and introduced him to a new way of thinking. He now realizes that there ARE other ways of doing things, and he's trying to figure out how those other ways can benefit him and his alliance, though we have yet to learn why. But we know that Todd serves Todd first and foremost, so I wouldn't doubt it if he has some wild scheme up his sleeve. But even so, that scheme would be a sign of his 'evolution' from being just another Wraith, to one who thinks outside the box (or hive), and makes things happen.

das
      sigpic

Comment

I've had a bad internet connection - grrrrr. So I haven't had time to touch on the full extent of Todd's 'evolution'. Just a few things to sum it up...

There has been his physical evolution, thanks to the make-up department. But this is just a superficial thing that has no bearing on the character himself. The two things about his appearance that have not changed are the aforementioned unkempt hair and nails.

There has been his personality change, although it is hard to determine if this is a real change, or if he just puts on a facade around the Lanteans. We know Todd enjoys the games he plays with Sheppard - he certainly finds them stimulating and challenging, just judging by the fact that he keeps coming back for more 'abuse', time and again. Who knew he was such a masochist! But I would say that personality-wise, Todd is very much the same Wraith as he was 10,000 years ago...a bit wild, a bit less stoic than what I consider to be 'younger Wraith', such as Steve.

The Defiant One and Todd have been identified as 10,000+ year old Wraith, while James Lafazanos said he considered Bob to be a 'no-bull taking Wraith who has seen more than most'...again suggesting one of advanced age. All three of these seem to have a little less 'polish' than the others we've seen, and I would also speculate that the uberWraith from Sateda was of this same breed, too.

Where Todd has shown real change is in his mental evolution. Unlike many of his kind, Todd has the ability to ADAPT. We have speculated that Todd is different from other Wraith in this regard because of his time spent in confinement, separated from the hive. Surely this gave him time to think, to see the flaws in his own society, and to see that humans could be of more use to him than just making for a quick, hot meal.

Are there other ways in which he has changed? Probably. But it's his ability to adapt that makes his evolution as Wraith more advanced than others. And, unlike many of his kind, Todd doesn't just think about the meal at hand, but contemplates the future, and how his choices now may affect what lies ahead. As I said earlier, he is a visionary among his kind, no longer just a slave to hunger and a compulsion to feed, but instead someone who can see beyond that to the possibilites that lie ahead.

das
        sigpic

Comment

Wow! War & Peace already and only 4 posts!!!

I would agree that Todd and Greg and Bob are "old" wraith and as such they lived through times of war, which means they had to be more cunning, more devious, more selfish. They are soldiers!
          I can personally relate to Greg in that I have made no bones about the fact that I would do whatever it takes to stay alive, so I could see myself doing exactly what he did if I were in his shoes.
          Todd, on the other hand is wily with it - not only will he do whatever it takes to survive, but he always has an ear out for whatever will further his own position. Yes, he will do things to further wraith in general as a race (Re Infection) but when it comes down to the wire, Todd looks out for Todd! He also has a quirky sense of humour (madness?) and that combo makes him maverick - and very, very dangerous!

As for Steve, I also agree that he is "young" for a wraith, the post-war GenX wraith who has had everything handed to him on a platter and is probably used to being feared and venerated by humans - hence his contemptuous attitude to humans. I doubt very much if the likes of Steve would have been able to survive what Todd and Greg survived... but perhaps I do him wrong, as you all know how I personally feel about Steve's mistreatment by the Lanteans!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

todd is the best wraith, mainly because he is so selfish to the point where he does anything for his own gain, he's manipulative, he's a *******. and i LOVE him. if the wraith were 10% more like him, it wouldve helped alot

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
              Wow! War & Peace already and only 4 posts!!!

I would agree that Todd and Greg and Bob are "old" wraith and as such they lived through times of war, which means they had to be more cunning, more devious, more selfish. They are soldiers!
              I can personally relate to Greg in that I have made no bones about the fact that I would do whatever it takes to stay alive, so I could see myself doing exactly what he did if I were in his shoes.
              Well, I have my issues with what happened to Greg. He was out there all by himself, surviving for 10k years, and along come Sheppard & Co. and they kill him. To me, it would be like killing the last white tiger alive...just because you can.

Just no appreciation for wildlife!!!

Todd, on the other hand is wily with it - not only will he do whatever it takes to survive, but he always has an ear out for whatever will further his own position. Yes, he will do things to further wraith in general as a race (Re Infection) but when it comes down to the wire, Todd looks out for Todd! He also has a quirky sense of humour (madness?) and that combo makes him maverick - and very, very dangerous!
              Interesting that you would suggest that Todd is a bit mad. As far as we can tell, he managed to hang onto his sanity during his imprisonment, but that doesn't mean he's not maybe just a wee bit off. Perhaps that's what allows him to think outside the box - madness, and brilliance, are not that far removed.

As for Steve, I also agree that he is "young" for a wraith, the post-war GenX wraith who has had everything handed to him on a platter and is probably used to being feared and venerated by humans - hence his contemptuous attitude to humans. I doubt very much if the likes of Steve would have been able to survive what Todd and Greg survived... but perhaps I do him wrong, as you all know how I personally feel about Steve's mistreatment by the Lanteans!
              It makes you wonder if Steve would eventually 'age' and become more like Todd and Greg. Or, are they products of their own respective generations? I'm thinking the latter...I'm thinking that Todd has pretty much been 'Todd' since the war, and Steve - had he lived - would be just as pampered and pretty 10,000 years from now.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              todd is the best wraith, mainly because he is so selfish to the point where he does anything for his own gain, he's manipulative, he's a *******. and i LOVE him. if the wraith were 10% more like him, it wouldve helped alot
              I think I love the way Todd twists and manipulates folks around his lovely green fingers. This is the essence of Wraith - they are devious, conniving little buggers and that's one of the things I love best about them! I think - in a way - that it makes them seem almost childlike, despite their age. They just like playing games - mind games and such - and get such a big kick out of themselves when they think they've won!

das
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                Well, I have my issues with what happened to Greg. He was out there all by himself, surviving for 10k years, and along come Sheppard & Co. and they kill him. To me, it would be like killing the last white tiger alive...just because you can.

Just no appreciation for wildlife!!!

Interesting that you would suggest that Todd is a bit mad. As far as we can tell, he managed to hang onto his sanity during his imprisonment, but that doesn't mean he's not maybe just a wee bit off. Perhaps that's what allows him to think outside the box - madness, and brilliance, are not that far removed.

das
                Since this thread is meant to be about Todd, just don't get me started on what they did to Greg!!! Grrrr
                Not to mention Steve... and Bob... and Michael...

I'm not suggesting that imprisonment made Todd mad but that there's a streak of insanity in Todd's basic personality - exactly in the way you say here, as in there being a thin line between genius and madness!
                Of course it could also be argued that if Todd thought playing mad might be to his advantage (re Vegas)...?
                sigpic

Comment

Since this thread is meant to be about Todd, just don't get me started on what they did to Greg!!! Grrrr
                  Not to mention Steve... and Bob... and Michael...
                  Hey - I don't care - discuss who you'd like! They all have a bearing on Todd's 'evolution', to an extent...especially in the way the Lanteans deal with him, and how he treats them in return.

I'm not suggesting that imprisonment made Todd mad but that there's a streak of insanity in Todd's basic personality - exactly in the way you say here, as in there being a thin line between genius and madness!
                  Of course it could also be argued that if Todd thought playing mad might be to his advantage (re Vegas)...?
                  Ah, yes - does Todd pretend to be crazy in Vegas, or is he really off his nut? I think he's not insane there, but having a similar reaction to how we might behave when our blood sugar drops. I know when I really need to eat, I get 'weird', and sometimes say crazy stuff because my brain is just not clear. As soon as I eat, I'm fine. I'm thinking that, as soon as Todd is fed, his foggy mind would clear right up.

But it's interesting that you say there is a streak of insanity in his basic personality. Yes, some of the most brilliant humans in our history have also been those with the most mental instability. We already know that Todd is prone to 'depression', since that's basically the state he was in when Sheppard found him in prison. He had given up hope, he barely had any will left to live - that's depression. In Infection, we see another glimpse of his gloomy nature, one that is soon reversed once he takes the Iratus cure, and returns to his chipper ol' self again. A brilliant person (or Wraith) often has a restless mind, and I think that's so true in Todd's case...his mind is always going, always calculating, always plotting. "Busy, busy, busy." He needs challenges, he needs mental stimulation, and he gets all of that in the games he plays with the Lanteans. He's doing the same with Wraith, but I don't think he can 'let his hair down' with them in the same way he can with humans, which makes his interaction with humans more refreshing.

But take away those external challenges, and Todd will soon grow restless and bored and seek any way he can to stir up the pot again. A totally sane Wraith would sit back and say, 'Whew. Those Lanteans are finally out of our hair. Let's cull a planet!' But not Todd. Todd's gonna stand up and say, 'We can cull tomorrow. No, today...today I wish to play with Sheppard.'

And his crew goes:

das
                  Last edited by dasNdanger; 20 April 2009, 10:17 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey - I don't care - discuss who you'd like! They all have a bearing on Todd's 'evolution', to an extent...especially in the way the Lanteans deal with him, and how he treats them in return.
                    Okie dokie... another day when I have more time, I'll give you the rant about poor Greg and Steve... you now it must be the Psych Grad in me - I always fall for the mistreated, wounded soldiers - or in their cases, the dead ones!!!!

Ah, yes - does Todd pretend to be crazy in Vegas, or is he really off his nut? I think he's not insane there, but having a similar reaction to how we might behave when our blood sugar drops. I know when I really need to eat, I get 'weird', and sometimes say crazy stuff because my brain is just not clear. As soon as I eat, I'm fine. I'm thinking that, as soon as Todd is fed, his foggy mind would clear right up.
                    That's a really good point - I get really cold, no matter what the ambient temp... soon as I eat I heat right back up! Maybe that's why I always think they look reptilian... fellow cold-blooded creatures!!!!!
                    Sorry, I will be serious now for one minute (that's all I've got before I have t o go to work )

But it's interesting that you say there is a streak of insanity in his basic personality. Yes, some of the most brilliant humans in our history have also been those with the most mental instability. We already know that Todd is prone to 'depression', since that's basically the state he was in when Sheppard found him in prison. He had given up hope, he barely had any will left to live - that's depression. In Infection, we see another glimpse of his gloomy nature, one that is soon reversed once he takes the Iratus cure, and returns to his chipper ol' self again. A brilliant person (or Wraith) often has a restless mind, and I think that's so true in Todd's case...his mind is always going, always calculating, always plotting. "Busy, busy, busy." He needs challenges, he needs mental stimulation, and he gets all of that in the games he plays with the Lanteans. He's doing the same with Wraith, but I don't think he can 'let his hair down' with them in the same way he can with humans, which makes his interaction with humans more refreshing.

But take away those external challenges, and Todd will soon grow restless and bored and seek any way he can to stir up the pot again. A totally sane Wraith would sit back and say, 'Whew. Those Lanteans are finally out of our hair. Let's cull a planet!' But not Todd. Todd's gonna stand up and say, 'We can cull tomorrow. No, today...today I wish to play with Sheppard.'

And his crew goes:

das
                    As a bi-polar myself, I can relate to the bi-polar in Todd. I would say that what you suggest here makes an awful lot of sense, das.
                    However, there are extroverted bi-polars and introverted bi-polars. Myself, I;m introverted - whuich means my brain is already firing on all cylinders and it needs to calm itslef down and so I tend to avoid too much external stimlulation. I'd be with the wraith who go "phew thank goodness that;s over, now lets all go chill-out in Steve's hive"!
                    Todd is most definitely an extrovert, which means his brain's just ticking along and he is driven to seek out as much mental stimulation as he can find. So yes, when there's no more hassle to play around with, he would indeed mosey on down to the cargo hold and play with Sheppard!!!

That's why in role play I gravitate towards Steve (calm and soothing) and Todd drives me totally nuts cos he's a complete whacko!!!
                    No, seriously, Todd is IMHO definitely slightly unhinged!
                    sigpic

Comment

As for me, Todd in season 5 is humanized for being more popular. I can't see the Wraith in him at all. Betrayin' his race, killing Queen, being a "superhero" he can not seem to be a normal Wraith character. I think it's a mistake of writers... and - ahh, yeah - just my own understanding of the race. Imho.

Comment

As a bi-polar myself, I can relate to the bi-polar in Todd. I would say that what you suggest here makes an awful lot of sense, das.
                        However, there are extroverted bi-polars and introverted bi-polars. Myself, I;m introverted - whuich means my brain is already firing on all cylinders and it needs to calm itslef down and so I tend to avoid too much external stimlulation. I'd be with the wraith who go "phew thank goodness that;s over, now lets all go chill-out in Steve's hive"!
                        Todd is most definitely an extrovert, which means his brain's just ticking along and he is driven to seek out as much mental stimulation as he can find. So yes, when there's no more hassle to play around with, he would indeed mosey on down to the cargo hold and play with Sheppard!!!

That's why in role play I gravitate towards Steve (calm and soothing) and Todd drives me totally nuts cos he's a complete whacko!!!
                        No, seriously, Todd is IMHO definitely slightly unhinged!
                        Oh, Todd is certainly the extrovert! He told Teyla that MOST Wraith want to be lead, and they fear being without a Queen. I think Todd uses this tendency in his fellow Wraith to draw followers after himself. He had a following before he was taken by the Genii, and he's gained one since. He certainly has a charismatic personality, doesn't he?! I think this makes him unique among that older generation of Wraith, although...

When we first met Todd in prison he was very much like Greg or Bob. Just as Bob put a chill through me with his 'allow me' line, Todd did likewise with his 'the next time I feed.' Cold, ruthless...both of them. However, Todd had to quickly learn to adapt his attitude and conduct so as to convince Sheppard of his trustworthiness. I don't think Todd's basic personality changed, just that he learned how to play this particular game to his advantage.

Crazy like a fox, as they say...and Todd can certainly out-fox them all!

das
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elsa_the_Wraith View Post
                          As for me, Todd in season 5 is humanized for being more popular. I can't see the Wraith in him at all. Betrayin' his race, killing Queen, being a "superhero" he can not seem to be a normal Wraith character. I think it's a mistake of writers... and - ahh, yeah - just my own understanding of the race. Imho.

I think it's only because we have grown familiar with him that he comes across as 'humanized'. If Steve or Bob or any of the others had lasted through 3 seasons, they would seem more 'human' to us, too. But I really believe that's just because we have grown use to Todd, and that takes away some of the 'mystery'.

Physically, the brief change he made by taking the gene therapy did 'humanize' him a bit, simply because it took away the one big thing that makes him Wraith - his need to feed. However, he has that back for now.

Here's something to take into consideration...

In S5 we had an opportunity to see Todd interact with other Wraith. To me, he was anything but human around them! He bowed to a queen, he bellowed out instructions to Teyla, he slit a rival's throat, he broke another's neck. This would be as if Sheppard slit Sam's throat, then broke Ronon's neck...Todd wasn't doing this to his 'enemies', per se - he was doing it to his own kind, to a hive that was part of his alliance! Pretty darn vicious if you ask me!

The only aspect where I could possibly say that Todd seems more 'human' is in the way he talks to the Lanteans. He certainly talks to them on their level - he talks to them like one human to another, even throwing a joke in now and then to ease tensions (or to make Rodney squirm! ). I would consider this to be a bit of an 'act' - it's not how Todd would normally speak to humans, nor is it the way he would deal with his fellow Wraith. Instead, he adapts to the situation, and to who he's dealing with. But doesn't Sheppard do the same thing back to him? Doesn't Sheppard talk to Todd like one Wraith talking to another? Even Todd acknowledged this in EATG when he said, 'You know how to talk to me, John Sheppard', then burst out laughing.

So, I think the 'humanizing' part is there, but it's done by Todd himself, to make himself more agreeable to the Lanteans (the wolf in sheep's clothing, so to speak). But underneath he's still Wraith, and he will still kill in an instant if pushed hard enough.

das
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh, Todd is certainly the extrovert! He told Teyla that MOST Wraith want to be lead, and they fear being without a Queen. I think Todd uses this tendency in his fellow Wraith to draw followers after himself. He had a following before he was taken by the Genii, and he's gained one since. He certainly has a charismatic personality, doesn't he?! I think this makes him unique among that older generation of Wraith, although...

When we first met Todd in prison he was very much like Greg or Bob. Just as Bob put a chill through me with his 'allow me' line, Todd did likewise with his 'the next time I feed.' Cold, ruthless...both of them. However, Todd had to quickly learn to adapt his attitude and conduct so as to convince Sheppard of his trustworthiness. I don't think Todd's basic personality changed, just that he learned how to play this particular game to his advantage.

Crazy like a fox, as they say...and Todd can certainly out-fox them all!

das
                            Todd is certainly charismatic, that's for sure! But it's usually that very type that are the most dangerous... did you know that sociopaths are generally highly intelligent and utterly charming... until they start feeding on you, that is?!?!?!?

I can;t really comment on Bob cos I've only seen his ep once. However I've watched Greg's ep several times and I have to say that he has a lot of charisma himself - at least I think so anyway!
                            I've said it before and I'll say it again, that scene where the human says to Greg "you're gonna kill/eat me now aren't you?" and Greg says "Yes... but not all at once!" OMG! *THUNK* Charisma or what???

Seriously, it was his facial expression and the teasing quality of his tone of voice as much as the line itself, it said to me that Greg had to be at least as smart and at least as unhinged as Todd. Certainly he had to be to survive - but that line showed he had a quirky sense of humour, too, like Todd.
                            Since IMHO Greg had a certain charm about him, given Todd's opportunies for interaction with humans, I can imagine Greg could've been just as foxy!

So, what I;m trying to say here is that perhaps Todd is not so unique for his own generation - unique among the younger ones like Steve and Kenny and Co - but if his peers like Greg and Bob had the same ops as Todd, perhaps they would've risen to the challenge in much the same way as Todd did.

btw To go back to your comment about killing Greg being akin to killing the very last white tiger - I couldn't agree more!

However, what also makes me mad and confused in general is this: You discover a completely new species who are so humanoid that they are effectively as human as you and me - BUT they have the ability to instantly heal and regenerate themselves, live for thousands of years and can communicate telepathically... what do you do?

Do you find a way to live with their "dietary requirements" and learn as much as you can from them and hope that perhaps you might be able to work together to better BOTH races (or at the very least improve the human lot)?

No! Apparantly you just shoot them all dead!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

I think it's only because we have grown familiar with him that he comes across as 'humanized'. If Steve or Bob or any of the others had lasted through 3 seasons, they would seem more 'human' to us, too. But I really believe that's just because we have grown use to Todd, and that takes away some of the 'mystery'.

Physically, the brief change he made by taking the gene therapy did 'humanize' him a bit, simply because it took away the one big thing that makes him Wraith - his need to feed. However, he has that back for now.

Here's something to take into consideration...

In S5 we had an opportunity to see Todd interact with other Wraith. To me, he was anything but human around them! He bowed to a queen, he bellowed out instructions to Teyla, he slit a rival's throat, he broke another's neck. This would be as if Sheppard slit Sam's throat, then broke Ronon's neck...Todd wasn't doing this to his 'enemies', per se - he was doing it to his own kind, to a hive that was part of his alliance! Pretty darn vicious if you ask me!

The only aspect where I could possibly say that Todd seems more 'human' is in the way he talks to the Lanteans. He certainly talks to them on their level - he talks to them like one human to another, even throwing a joke in now and then to ease tensions (or to make Rodney squirm! ). I would consider this to be a bit of an 'act' - it's not how Todd would normally speak to humans, nor is it the way he would deal with his fellow Wraith. Instead, he adapts to the situation, and to who he's dealing with. But doesn't Sheppard do the same thing back to him? Doesn't Sheppard talk to Todd like one Wraith talking to another? Even Todd acknowledged this in EATG when he said, 'You know how to talk to me, John Sheppard', then burst out laughing.

So, I think the 'humanizing' part is there, but it's done by Todd himself, to make himself more agreeable to the Lanteans (the wolf in sheep's clothing, so to speak). But underneath he's still Wraith, and he will still kill in an instant if pushed hard enough.

das
                              I completely agree, das! I especially like that you mention that Sheppard does the same thing back to Todd - they're BOTH soldiers, after all and theyh know that the best way to win over the natives is to speak the lingo!
                              IMHO that ability to adapt to each other is also a part of their mutual attraction - the fact that they "understand" each other in this way re-inforces their own sense of "brotherhood" towards each other.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X