This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What next for Atlantis? Spoilers For S5 / EATG

I was just curious as to what everyone thinks will become of the city? The city of Atlantis now sits just off the coast of California, near San Francisco. First of all, a quick question:

How can they possibly hide something that big? I mean, EVERY single photo of San Fransisco bay I've ever seen shows a multitude of watercraft in the area. And I know, the city is a ways off the coast (has to be, it's so big) but how can they hide something that huge, even while cloaked? We know that the city is roughly the size of Manhattan Island, which to be honest is something I was always kinda hoping we'd see more of in the series. Whenever we did see the city, it was usually from a great, great, distance away or a far overhead shot. Very rarely did we get to get an actual visual shot which gave us a sense of awe at how big that city actually is. I mean, that thing is HUGE! We were given a few good shots, like in a couple episodes where it showed them flying through the skysrapers in a Jumper or Dart ( "The Return part II" and "The Lost Tribe" come to mind). And I'll always be disappointed with the landing scene from "Lifeline", where the city comes to rest on its new planet. As impressive a shot as it was, it was so mainly because we all KNEW how big the city actually is. But if you didn't, it really doesn't look it in the scene. I'll always be impressed with all the shots where we get to see the city fly. I actually cheered the first time I saw the takeoff scene from "First Strike", where it shows the city, shield off, rising through the clouds. Seeing something that huge, rising into space, was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen on any Stargate episode or movie. But, I digress....

I gotta admit, i was just a little disappointed with the ending of "Enemy at the Gate", because I knew it would spell trouble for the writers. As fantastic as it was to see the city arrive in orbit over Earth just in time to save the day, I was worried. Atlantis had come home, in the words of Woolsey, but what about all the people left behind in Pegasus? The Wraith still had control of the Galaxy, The Asgard had been royally pissed off, and there was a lot left to do for the humans who still lived there. Not to mention Ronin and Teyla. I know, they consder Atlantis their home, but come on.

So, I've finally come to the root of this post. Why would Atlantis go back to Pegasus? Personally, I believe it really needs to. I know, if the IOA had anything to do with it, it would never leave, but from a storyline aspect, it CAN'T remain on Earth. It just can't. It's too big to hide, without arising eventual suspicion anyway. But it just can't stay on Earth. If it does, then the Atlantis storyline of Stargate is essentially over. If anything, this will give them the chance to fully explore the city, which to my knowledge is something that remains to be done. (I'll say it one more time, HUGE) But frankly, that would be a boring as hell movie. So now what? What could get them to leave Earth? Why will they have to in the first movie? I really hope the writers come up with a fantastic story that gets them off the protection of Home, maybe go back to Pegasus or even another galaxy. Hehe, with the Wormhole drive, they may become the new base of operations to try and find those lost on the Destiny. There's an idea, what's yours?

Well, msot likely, it will have been several weeks, maybe even a month, after the battle in EATG. Perhaps the Wraith would have recouped and found some powerful technology. Perhaps the Wraith will have reunited, and reclaimed lost territory.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybyrd View Post
      I was just curious as to what everyone thinks will become of the city? The city of Atlantis now sits just off the coast of California, near San Francisco. First of all, a quick question:

How can they possibly hide something that big? I mean, EVERY single photo of San Fransisco bay I've ever seen shows a multitude of watercraft in the area. And I know, the city is a ways off the coast (has to be, it's so big) but how can they hide something that huge, even while cloaked? We know that the city is roughly the size of Manhattan Island, which to be honest is something I was always kinda hoping we'd see more of in the series. Whenever we did see the city, it was usually from a great, great, distance away or a far overhead shot. Very rarely did we get to get an actual visual shot which gave us a sense of awe at how big that city actually is. I mean, that thing is HUGE! We were given a few good shots, like in a couple episodes where it showed them flying through the skysrapers in a Jumper or Dart ( "The Return part II" and "The Lost Tribe" come to mind). And I'll always be disappointed with the landing scene from "Lifeline", where the city comes to rest on its new planet. As impressive a shot as it was, it was so mainly because we all KNEW how big the city actually is. But if you didn't, it really doesn't look it in the scene. I'll always be impressed with all the shots where we get to see the city fly. I actually cheered the first time I saw the takeoff scene from "First Strike", where it shows the city, shield off, rising through the clouds. Seeing something that huge, rising into space, was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen on any Stargate episode or movie. But, I digress....

I gotta admit, i was just a little disappointed with the ending of "Enemy at the Gate", because I knew it would spell trouble for the writers. As fantastic as it was to see the city arrive in orbit over Earth just in time to save the day, I was worried. Atlantis had come home, in the words of Woolsey, but what about all the people left behind in Pegasus? The Wraith still had control of the Galaxy, The Asgard had been royally pissed off, and there was a lot left to do for the humans who still lived there. Not to mention Ronin and Teyla. I know, they consder Atlantis their home, but come on.

So, I've finally come to the root of this post. Why would Atlantis go back to Pegasus? Personally, I believe it really needs to. I know, if the IOA had anything to do with it, it would never leave, but from a storyline aspect, it CAN'T remain on Earth. It just can't. It's too big to hide, without arising eventual suspicion anyway. But it just can't stay on Earth. If it does, then the Atlantis storyline of Stargate is essentially over. If anything, this will give them the chance to fully explore the city, which to my knowledge is something that remains to be done. (I'll say it one more time, HUGE) But frankly, that would be a boring as hell movie. So now what? What could get them to leave Earth? Why will they have to in the first movie? I really hope the writers come up with a fantastic story that gets them off the protection of Home, maybe go back to Pegasus or even another galaxy. Hehe, with the Wormhole drive, they may become the new base of operations to try and find those lost on the Destiny. There's an idea, what's yours?
      the area has been placed under naval quarantine. which means no ships can go there. CLASSIFIED!!!

even if they do take Atlantis back to Pegasus i wonder how they'll get it off the ground w/o people noticing. even when cloaked it makes a loud noise and makes lots of steam (b/c of the water) when taking off.

Comment

well when it gets dark they could have ships try and tow the city out to sea then launch atlantis

Comment

I would like to see the city return to the pegasus galaxy and return to lantea which was abandoned when the replicators attacked and finish off the wraith so they can rebuild the galaxy
          SGA FOREVER

Comment

Ok here's how the story needs to go. With the sunzu crippled and the appollo( with some of the sunzu crew)hobbles back to earth where it goes under repair while the daedaleaus and the orion begin making trips to rotate the remaining crew members and repair crews of the sunzu. After a couple of weeks it is determined that the sunzu is just too badly damaged to make the journey back to earth. The IOA( who has up to this point not allowed the city of atlantis to return to the pegasus galaxy) reluctantly allows the the city of atlantis to return to pegases galaxy where the will meet the sunzu on the nearest planet so they can drop the shields allow the sunzu to land on an the deck of atlantis and then continue back Atlantis's previous home (the planet they went to in life line). Thats is for now, if any one read all this tell me what you think. And if you think the writers should use this.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis82 View Post
              even if they do take Atlantis back to Pegasus i wonder how they'll get it off the ground w/o people noticing. even when cloaked it makes a loud noise and makes lots of steam (b/c of the water) when taking off.
              I'm sure they would simply just move it out to sea where no one can see or hear anything. But originally when it landed on Earth it landed in the middle of the Ocean, not right next to San Fransisco, I'm betting they just used some sort of maneuvering thrusters rather than a tow, as the city is way to big for any amount of naval ships to shift!

To be honest though, I doubt they're even going to show Atlantis leaving Earth, I'm betting we'll see it again for the first time travelling back to Pegasus in hyperspace!

Originally posted by BIG_GATE_HEAD View Post
              Ok here's how the story needs to go. With the sunzu crippled and the appollo( with some of the sunzu crew)hobbles back to earth where it goes under repair while the daedaleaus and the orion begin making trips to rotate the remaining crew members and repair crews of the sunzu. After a couple of weeks it is determined that the sunzu is just too badly damaged to make the journey back to earth. The IOA( who has up to this point not allowed the city of atlantis to return to the pegasus galaxy) reluctantly allows the the city of atlantis to return to pegases galaxy where the will meet the sunzu on the nearest planet so they can drop the shields allow the sunzu to land on an the deck of atlantis and then continue back Atlantis's previous home (the planet they went to in life line). Thats is for now, if any one read all this tell me what you think. And if you think the writers should use this.
              All I'm gunna say is 'Lol'
              sigpic

Comment

that's a nice way to say what happens next and i think the SG movie will deal with atlantis leaving earth once again

Comment

The Orion? That ship was destroyed.
                  Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                  encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                  3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                  4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                  5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                    The Orion? That ship was destroyed.
                    Sorry I always say orion for some reason. I meant the odyssey.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
                      I'm sure they would simply just move it out to sea where no one can see or hear anything. But originally when it landed on Earth it landed in the middle of the Ocean, not right next to San Fransisco, I'm betting they just used some sort of maneuvering thrusters rather than a tow, as the city is way to big for any amount of naval ships to shift!

To be honest though, I doubt they're even going to show Atlantis leaving Earth, I'm betting we'll see it again for the first time travelling back to Pegasus in hyperspace!

All I'm gunna say is 'Lol'
                      What? Does that mean you did not like it?

Comment

I'd like to see all present developers kicked in the rear end, {mod snip}, but of course i kid i kid.

I just want my freaking team back, and scifi couldn't do both shows eh? *******s, I guess they need more money to produce filthy dog poop, yes i like that, they're no longer scifi they're {mod snip}. Movies so {mod snip} awful you wanna puke after wards.
                        Last edited by TameFarrar; 19 April 2009, 07:03 PM. Reason: no physical threats even jest/opinions of work is fine but calling names is disrespectful/lauguage

Comment

What? Does that mean you did not like it?
                          Na there's nothing wrong with it at all, just very detailed
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X