Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farscape Strange Detractors #1 Comic Book Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape Strange Detractors #1 Comic Book Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

According to Boom!'s website, Strange Detractors is in store's today.

some pages here:

Spoiler:
    TV’s science fiction masterpiece FARSCAPE continues! After the events on Hyneria, the crew of Moya find themselves in the midst of a new, mysterious menace. But the crew will learn that their greatest enemies might just be themselves!

http://www.boom-studios.net/farscape...1-cover-a.html

I didn't realize it was coming out already, they really need to improve their schedule so people can be ready. Anyway, off to pick it up after work. Looks like they are really going out there for this one.

It looks interesting, if you read the brief tidbits for the upcoming issues they are almost spoilers, but it sounds fun.
    Last edited by Randy_Watson; 15 April 2009, 06:13 AM.

I really can't wait to get my hands on this first issue.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Well I got it. No Cover B's at my store, but this one is fine.

You can tell it's a new artist, the style is different (some good things and some bad.) Jothee looks more like Jothee in this one, he is recognizable. Chiana isn't quite right or Aeryn, but there are some really good panels. You get to see a ton of the various aliens from the series, so that is very cool.

Honestly, I had a hard time following the story here, I need to go re-read it. Things really jump around a lot, not unlike the show, but when its in this form it can be a little harder to keep things straight.

Hope you get yours soon fifth!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
        Well I got it. No Cover B's at my store, but this one is fine.

You can tell it's a new artist, the style is different (some good things and some bad.) Jothee looks more like Jothee in this one, he is recognizable. Chiana isn't quite right or Aeryn, but there are some really good panels. You get to see a ton of the various aliens from the series, so that is very cool.

Honestly, I had a hard time following the story here, I need to go re-read it. Things really jump around a lot, not unlike the show, but when its in this form it can be a little harder to keep things straight.

Hope you get yours soon fifth!
        Thanks. So do I.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Thanks for posting that link.

I'll be ordering these sometime soon from TFAW and NOT BOOM. I still haven't gotten my last issue of the other series from them yet. A little over a week ago I ordered several Angel comics from TFAW and got them yesterday....

Anyway...lol at Crichton and his Leave it to Beaver daydream or whatever those pages turned out to be. This series sounds interesting. And since it's the same writer, don't have to worry about the character voices.

I'm not going to complain about the art because yikes!, two of those Angel comics I just got were the next series after the After the Fall series and they changed writers and artist/colorist and *cringe* the art is deplorable in some areas. Draws you right out of the story. Makes me appreciate the work that Tommy Patterson did in the first Farscape series. It may have not been spot on all the time but at least it was fairly true to the characters and wasn't distracting. Those preview pages for Strange Detractors look pretty good so the new guy seems okay.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            Thanks for posting that link.

I'll be ordering these sometime soon from TFAW and NOT BOOM. I still haven't gotten my last issue of the other series from them yet. A little over a week ago I ordered several Angel comics from TFAW and got them yesterday....

Anyway...lol at Crichton and his Leave it to Beaver daydream or whatever those pages turned out to be. This series sounds interesting. And since it's the same writer, don't have to worry about the character voices.

I'm not going to complain about the art because yikes!, two of those Angel comics I just got were the next series after the After the Fall series and they changed writers and artist/colorist and *cringe* the art is deplorable in some areas. Draws you right out of the story. Makes me appreciate the work that Tommy Patterson did in the first Farscape series. It may have not been spot on all the time but at least it was fairly true to the characters and wasn't distracting. Those preview pages for Strange Detractors look pretty good so the new guy seems okay.

Yeah, the art from the first series really grew on me. I think my initial distaste was just more to the fact that I hadn't really read comics before, so the style is new. I think I liked Tommy's art a little more, at least for the backgrounds, the new guy has cleaner characters, but like I said, he gets some of them to look more like the real deal.

That stinks about ordering from Boom, you'd think with the industry slumping they'd want to do everything possible to keep customers.

(BTW, I just started watching Buffy and am at season 4 and ready to start Angel too, I'm guessing I'll be getting those books now soon too )

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson
              Yeah, the art from the first series really grew on me. I think my initial distaste was just more to the fact that I hadn't really read comics before, so the style is new. I think I liked Tommy's art a little more, at least for the backgrounds, the new guy has cleaner characters, but like I said, he gets some of them to look more like the real deal.

That stinks about ordering from Boom, you'd think with the industry slumping they'd want to do everything possible to keep customers.

(BTW, I just started watching Buffy and am at season 4 and ready to start Angel too, I'm guessing I'll be getting those books now soon too )
              Yeah not a comic reader myself, so not used to the various art styles etc that the guys who pencil these things use. And considering the art in these things is relied upon heavily to help tell the story it took a bit to get used to. It takes some effort to read these things because I have to think about what panel I have to read next if they aren't laid out orderly as well as how the voice bubbles flow, etc.

Well technically I'm still buying their product. Just not from their website.... If it doesn't show up today, I'm going to have to e-mail them again to see what the deal is.*grrr*

Angel: After the Fall was a pretty good series, imo. I enjoyed it. Not as much as I enjoyed eps of Angel, but I thought it was worth the read. The writer had a good handle on the characters' voices. Wish it had actually been longer and more fleshed out. Joss Whedon had a hand in plotting the series so it's considered cannon. He's also been involved in a Buffy Season 8 comic series, but I haven't read any of it. I only discovered the Angel ones because of my interest in the Farscape comics.

Oh and I hope you enjoy Angel. For me it ranks as one of my favorite tv series. I'm glad they spun him off from Buffy and had his own show because I really liked the character in those first three seasons of Buffy. I enjoyed BtVS too but thought Angel was the better series of the two.
              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 18 April 2009, 07:29 AM.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

These Farscape comics are the first comics I have purchased in years. There was no way I was missing out on them.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

krad (the guy who writes these comics) had this to say over at Terra Firma about issue 3 of this series:

Spoiler:
                  All I will say in response is that in issue #3 we'll see two characters we've seen before on TV (but whom we've yet to see in the comics).
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

krad (the guy who writes these comics) had this to say over at Terra Firma about issue 3 of this series:

Spoiler:
                    All I will say in response is that in issue #3 we'll see two characters we've seen before on TV (but whom we've yet to see in the comics).
                    Interesting!

Sadly, I have yet to receive Issue #1 in the mail yet. Hopefully soon.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Thanks for that lonestar

Looks like the script book came out today. I'd like to grab it, but can't make a trip to the store until the weekend, and it will probably be gone by then.

http://www.boom-studios.net/farscape-script-book.html

Comment

Yay!!! I finally got my comic today. Very good first issue, at least IMO. So, how bad will this get, and who is behind it?
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

i just got the first issue today, i had to get Cover a. Then i spent a few hours tracking down issue 2. that was a task i couldnt find it at any store. the i realized that both the first and then second printing were sold out, so finally i found a copy on ebay, for 2.70+4 dollar shipping, thats pretty good considering id have to drive over to Berkeley use gas, and then pay 3.99 and then gas back. I just hope it comes in one piece, im very skeptical, but crossing my fingers :/

Spoiler:
                          As far as issue one went i thought it was good, I liked johns dream, and how slowly pieces of his dream drifted into reality, dekes friend was an alien, the dog turned into rygel, and nostalgic misses clever aeryn turned back into the real aeryn with a blunt
                          " what the frell do you think!!"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCrichton View Post
                            i just got the first issue today, i had to get Cover a. Then i spent a few hours tracking down issue 2. that was a task i couldnt find it at any store. the i realized that both the first and then second printing were sold out, so finally i found a copy on ebay, for 2.70+4 dollar shipping, thats pretty good considering id have to drive over to Berkeley use gas, and then pay 3.99 and then gas back. I just hope it comes in one piece, im very skeptical, but crossing my fingers :/

Spoiler:
                            As far as issue one went i thought it was good, I liked johns dream, and how slowly pieces of his dream drifted into reality, dekes friend was an alien, the dog turned into rygel, and nostalgic misses clever aeryn turned back into the real aeryn with a blunt
                            " what the frell do you think!!"
                            As far as I know, issue two of Strange Detractors is not out yet.

You might be confusing it with issue two of the previous Farscape, 4 issue series that just ended this month.

But yeah that dream bit is interesting and funny. "You stupid yotz, I said "WOOF".

I ordered this issue a couple of days ago. TFAW still had copies of cover B. So I should get it towards the end of this week hopefully.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

As far as I know, issue two of Strange Detractors is not out yet.

You might be confusing it with issue two of the previous Farscape, 4 issue series that just ended this month.

But yeah that dream bit is interesting and funny. "You stupid yotz, I said "WOOF".

I ordered this issue a couple of days ago. TFAW still had copies of cover B. So I should get it towards the end of this week hopefully.
                              Yeah, Issue #2 isn't out yet. I believe it is scheduled to come out this coming Wednesday. At least, that is what the TFAW.com site states.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X