This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Ancient are the Ancients?

This thread contains spoilers, I just note incase.

Currently there are several threads dealing with this or a similar question, but most of them have gotten into an unrealistic realm.

Here is what we do know:
    1)Stargates built by Ancients
    2)Atlantis was on earth but left for another galaxy (pegasus)
    3)from prime ape to common form took us 3 million years (anthropology fact)
    4)Antarctic Stargate Presumed oldest in (OUR!!!!) galaxy

So going back in time from present:
    We began our evolution to common form 3 million years ago, the ancients encouraged our evolution to the form we know appear. The ancients however left Earth between 5-10 million years ago. So they are atleast 10 million years old, but that's when they left. Before that they were in this galaxy. As much as 50 million years ago the Antarctic Gate was constructed, thus the Ancients are AT LEAST 50 million years old (that's ancient). But they must be at least 3 million years older then that. They had to evolve from something a process which takes time.

So If they built the Antarctic Stargate at the same point in their evolution as we are now, then from their genesis they are 53 million years old. But this itself poses a major problem, what walked the earth 65 million years ago. Until 65 Million years ago Dinosaurs ruled our world and I doubt the writers woudl try and deny that part of earth history. 12 million years after the extinction of the Dinosaurs the world was in an infant state no species could have evolved to the point of the Ancients, the Ancients then aren't native to earth, and if they are then we are extremely EXTREMELY different. (Unless they are evolved dinosaurs but that is to extreme to accept, as well as rediculous)

Perhaps the Ancients evolved before the extinction of the dinosaurs, and managed to wipe them out by accident - perhaps it was a Naquadah generator, and not an asteroid..?

Okay, so it doesn't necessarily have to go like that.. but if you imagine that they could be even older than you describe, then it's possible that they were able to get off the planet prior to the extinction 65 million years ago..

I'm personally quite attached to the belief that they evolved on Earth, myself, so I'll quite happily find a rationalisation that allows that belief to continue.
    The Unknown James

Comment

Say what now?

It hasn't been confirmed that the Ancients are a Terran race. They may have been space-faring before discovering how to harness wormholes and create stargates and by the time that they arrived at Earth, they called this place home (there was no one here, 50 million years ago is a long time ago). This would mean they could possibly be even older than the dinosaurs. They may also have influenced mammals into evolving in a similar fashion to their own animals they had, eventually creating us (maybe by accident, maybe because they couldn't control the genetic change before they left).
      Enter my game site...

Comment

Was their dinosaurs on Antartica? and thats where they were located at :x

Comment

We don't know that the Ancients were originally from Earth.

The only thing we knew is that at some point, Earth was quite possibly their base of power, and most likely the site of the creation of the Stargates.
          sigpic

Comment

My guess is that the Atlanteans did exactly the same in MW that they started doing in Pegasus. I'm not even sure they started off in our Galaxy. Either they're from proclarus taonas or another galaxy imo.
            Last edited by aAnubiSs; 07 December 2004, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Heres my take.

The ancients ARE originally from earth. then they left.

Millions of years later. the human form evolved NATURALLY on earth wtihout the help of the ancients. It's a neat idea but Im' getting sick of all of this "the ancients did and caused and invented EVERYTHING" mentality.

I'm surprised we don't have things like "the rocky mountains exist because the ancients wanted to climb things" discussions.

And with how anal they are about non-interference even unascended, I highly doubt they would stear the evolution of a primitive race to end up like them.

In the end Im' wrong and you're all wrong too.

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz
                Was their dinosaurs on Antartica? and thats where they were located at :x
                65 million years ago, there were dinosaurs on antarctica b/c the who planet was a tropical, there was no or little ice there. Antarctica was also connected with South America and Australia.

Comment

Well the dinosaurs were cold blooded so ancients who are mammals and warm blooded may have survived the comet which hit 65 Million years ago (It has been proven to have been a comet, satellites show a giant crater on the Yucatan Peninsula which is in Mexico) so therefore they could be older or as old as the dinosaurs.

Comment

The Ancients are very ancient. duh.
                    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
                    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
                    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
                    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

[QUOTE=Alpha17X]

Millions of years later. the human form evolved NATURALLY on earth wtihout the help of the ancients. It's a neat idea but Im' getting sick of all of this "the ancients did and caused and invented EVERYTHING" mentality.

QUOTE]

nice idea, but if you've watched threads or reckoning can't remember which this part is wrong as it states...
                      SPOILER
                      .the plague wiped out everything in the galaxy and the ancients used the device to reseed the milkyway with life, therefore everything which evolved in the last 5 million years or so would be their fault, including those evil goa'uld!

Comment

Originally posted by Whatazarian
                        Well the dinosaurs were cold blooded so ancients who are mammals and warm blooded may have survived the comet which hit 65 Million years ago (It has been proven to have been a comet, satellites show a giant crater on the Yucatan Peninsula which is in Mexico) so therefore they could be older or as old as the dinosaurs.

Last time I checked crocodiles and turtles are cold blooded! How did they survive?
                        And anyway u would think ancients could stop a puny comet... Even SG-1 stoped a asteroid.
                        Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

maybe the ancients are geneticly engineered so they grown in adult way we havent discoverd yet and with genes from frogs the have been in hibernation

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

Heres a theory to screw with your minds,

How about we are the ancients and some time in the distant future the galaxy faces destruction and the only way humanity can survive is by transplanting itself back in time to when the milky way was a new born galaxy.

feel free to poke holes im sure theres lots of them

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                              Heres a theory to screw with your minds,

How about we are the ancients and some time in the distant future the galaxy faces destruction and the only way humanity can survive is by transplanting itself back in time to when the milky way was a new born galaxy.

feel free to poke holes im sure theres lots of them

that actually would be super cool
                              come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Working...
                              X