This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you prefer your Sci-Fi?

For the record, this thread applies only to visual media Sci Fi, so is discounting books or comics etc.

Do you prefer your sci fi in Series format? Ie - Stargate or X-Files

Mini-Series One Shots? Triangle, Tinman etc

Movie format?

Just curious, I'm a tad bored, but the question intrigues me. On the one had, movies can achieve a greater budget, but really are rather small in comparison to even a mini series, with far less room for character development or even attatchment to them.

TV series allow for this, but have lower budgets per installment, so the effects and grandure won't ever be the same as a big budget or even smaller budget movie.

Mini Series would seemingly fit in between, but one could argue that though you get substantially more invested in characters, its ended before you get the full enjoyment available.

So. Thoughts?
    Series Based
    94.59%
    One Shot Mini Series
    0.00%
    Movie: TV Movie, Cinema Film, or Otherwise
    5.41%

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

HI FOB:

I like it anyway I can get it, but series I love most because there is a sci-fi fix every week (or more frequently)!

Like you I am a tad bored, I watched some movies today but with many of the series over, not much to look forward to for a while.
    ---------------------
    sigpic
    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

option 1 & 2

use a 3 hour miniseries to get out of the gate and then just pick up where you left off in the series
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
        HI FOB:

I like it anyway I can get it, but series I love most because there is a sci-fi fix every week (or more frequently)!

Like you I am a tad bored, I watched some movies today but with many of the series over, not much to look forward to for a while.
        *waves at Espeon*

I certainly agree with you about TV series. I find myself rarely caring about movies unless it's a joint venture. Movies are good to cuddle up with the girlfriend and watch, or to put on when visiting family.

But for pure sci fi fixes, if you'll pardon the expression - I'd say TV series - providing it's done well.

You're right about not much to look forward to. Watched a bit of Tinman today (great stuff), but other than that, just flicked through SG1 dvds and BSG Razor, and the occassional Red Dwarf ep (plus Back to Earth) on Dave. I tell you, four day weekends... they can get dull without new sci fi. It's no wonder I ended up ordering The Outer Limits on dvd.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I prefer a series over a miniseries or movie. It allows more time for character development and enjoyment of the characters.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Lightly toasted with a side of strawberry jam.

What do you mean that isn't an option??

Can't say I have a preference. I like all three and can find examples of all three that I DISlike as well.

I do, however, tend to think that a miniseries might work better in some cases. It gives you a chance to tell a story, expand on some things, and wrap it up all in a pretty package. A whole series runs the dual risk of either being cut off too soon or running on far past its expiration date, neither of which is pleasant to see. A movie is a self-contained story, but you don't always have the luxury of breathing space since you're generally limited to a 2-3 hour format (and only if studios are feeling generous).

Comment

For the most part, I enjoy a good Sci-Fi series more. Not that the other forms aren't great too.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i prefer a good series over anything else and then have that lead ove to the others(farscape,stargate,firefly etc.).but ill watch most scifi in any form to give it a shot,its always a nice escape from the real world when you need a break for a few hours.

Comment

I think it depends on what type of story that's being told. Personally i don't have a preference for any of the formats over the others.

Comment

I do like all sorts. TV SF, if good, is better than SF films because it has scope for so many more layers of story. If not so good, SF TV is bloated, repetitive and has a tendency to disappear up its own fundament.

Gattaca and Aliens are five-star films, in the way that Farscape and Babylon 5 are five-star TV programmes. Gattaca and Aliens are perfect though, while Farscape had some naff bits (early s4) and B5 had an entire year that was largely naff. But the peaks of the TV shows are higher, so the naffness is forgivable.

From the poll, 100% agree with TV being better for SF*. That might be because we're on a dedicated TV SF forum, but it could well be part of the same mentality that causes about 95% of textual fiction sold to be novels and only 5% short stories*.

* True as at 11:20 GMT, 13th March
                    ** I made that second stat up. If anyone wants to make their own up, feel free

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      *waves at Espeon*

I certainly agree with you about TV series. I find myself rarely caring about movies unless it's a joint venture. Movies are good to cuddle up with the girlfriend and watch, or to put on when visiting family.

But for pure sci fi fixes, if you'll pardon the expression - I'd say TV series - providing it's done well.

You're right about not much to look forward to. Watched a bit of Tinman today (great stuff), but other than that, just flicked through SG1 dvds and BSG Razor, and the occassional Red Dwarf ep (plus Back to Earth) on Dave. I tell you, four day weekends... they can get dull without new sci fi. It's no wonder I ended up ordering The Outer Limits on dvd.
                      The new ones or the old ones.
                      I love some of the series episodes.

And I accidently selected the 3rd option movies and TV as I took tv to mean series.

Be honest I like it what ever way I can get it.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 13 April 2009, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I've edited the options to make it clearer (I hope!)

Madeleine

Comment

series, with long story arcs.
                          sigpic
                          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                            series, with long story arcs.
                            Seconded.
                            Make it look like you've put some thought into the story, writers, not just thrown something together at the last minute.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

i think series or movie. the extremes, i think a miniseries comprimises too much, ie more character development than a movie, but if you know it's not going to be ongoing you don't want to become invested.

also i often find the bigger budget in miniseries is not noticable, say Dune, or Mysterious Island, made in 2000 and 2005 respectively in my opinion didn't really stand up to their weekly series contemporaries, in the visual effects dept.
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X