This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McGillion to Become Regular on Atlantis

Paul McGillion, known to Stargate fans as Dr. Carson Beckett, has been named a series regular, beginning with season two of the hit series. In case anyone is curious, I agree with the decision, considering that he has appeared in all but an episode or two of season 1.
    Rocky

That's good news, SG-1 should have done that with Dr. Fraiser.

Comment

And you're getting this news from where, please?

Comment

Er...he wasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Whatshername
          Er...he wasn't?
          what i believe he means is, he's gonna get listed in the opening credits along with torri higginson, and the rest of them. he has been in 12 of the 15 aired episodes, and he'll probably be in at least 4 of the last 5. it'll be good to see him be listed along with the rest of the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatshername
            Er...he wasn't?
            No. He was always refered to as a guest star. It's nice to see him get title.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I'm with Shadow. What's the source?

Comment

There was the Scifi release announcing Season 2 that listed him along with the main cast, maybe he's talking about that?

Comment

*snerk* Oh yes, and SCIFI is so reliable.

Sorry. And while I'm very happy for McGillion, I can't help but wonder (if this is true) why the hell TPTB are doing this. They can't even develop the characters they have already, why add more to the mix?

Dr. Beckett is already a stronger, more developed character than Lt. Ford. I love him! Beckett's easy to like and McGillion does a great job of bringing him to life. Maybe they should just dump Ford completely. It isn't as if they actually USE him for anything except pointless exposition and cutesy moments. If they aren't going to bother developing him and if- apparently- they're more interested in Beckett and HIS development, then get rid the dead wood.

I would LOVE to love Ford. I think Rainbow's a fun, talented guy with lots of potential, but he's wasted on Atlantis. I have no feel for Ford because we never get to see anything of him. He has a family, right? He's very close to them? We had a vague impression of that in Rising, but an impression is all we got. He seems to like kids, as evidenced by Childhood's End, but even that isn't really much to go on. Home
                  Spoiler:
                  There has to be something to his "world" in Home involving him being reassigned, but all we know is that he was reassigned and was upset about it. That would have been the perfect chance to get some more info on his family, but again, we were lucky we saw him at all in that ep.
                  He's willing to take chances, he's not so hot at naming things, and he has a great smile. In half a season of the show, that's about all we've gotten on him. There's been very little personality to him beyond the "eager puppy" act which has pretty much worn down after the first few eps. All he does now is fill a space. USE THE CHARACTER, for cryin' out loud! And if you aren't going to use him, why have him around?

Sorry, I'm having a very cranky night...

Comment

Yea, there is a serious lack in the Aiden Ford Development area. I think the people are permenantly out to lunch.

I've checked out about half a dozen Paul McGillion sites, including PaulMcGillion.com (or the offical one, .org, .edu, .whatever) and I haven't seen it there.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

It's only the first season, though. There's still plenty of time...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        They can't even develop the characters they have already, why add more to the mix?

I agree, but so far the sad part is that he is the most developed of the people on the show, and that is so very sad.
                        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          And you're getting this news from where, please?
                          Paul McGillion (Beckett in Stargate Atlantis) has been promoted to a regular
                          cast member, according to the Vancouver Province. The article (reprinted on
                          the list below) concluded with "McGillion is now a regular on the sci-fi TV
                          spin-off Stargate:Atlantis, which begins filming its second season in
                          February."

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group...ionaires_club/

So, that's the source

Comment

Originally posted by D.C.
                            It's only the first season, though. There's still plenty of time...
                            No, not really. Even Teal'c had SOME development in the first season. This is what first seasons are for: introduce us to the characters and the situations. Ford is still basically a name on a piece of paper, even though he's supposedly main cast. Beckett, who is a recurring character, has already had a couple of eps centering on him and he's more three-dimensional than one of the main characters.

For example, it'd be like replacing Bloodlines and Cor-Ai with a couple of eps about Fraiser. Fraiser's a great character, there's no denying that, but- especially in the first season- emphasis should be placed on TEAL'C. Ditto Ford. Beckett may be a great character, but the lights should be on FORD, not Beckett. As you said, it's only the first season... there will be plenty of time to develop the OTHER characters later on.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                              Paul McGillion (Beckett in Stargate Atlantis) has been promoted to a regular
                              cast member, according to the Vancouver Province. The article (reprinted on
                              the list below) concluded with "McGillion is now a regular on the sci-fi TV
                              spin-off Stargate:Atlantis, which begins filming its second season in
                              February."

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group...ionaires_club/

So, that's the source
                              Information can be falsified. And I don't see links or pull quotes, so I still would like to see it some where else. Maybe SciFi Wire will post it by tomorrow or something if it is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X