PDA

View Full Version : 'Dollhouse' Being Sent To The Attic ?

Daniela
April 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
:(

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/archives/2009/04/dollhouse_canceled.html

Descent
April 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Big surprise. :rolleyes: Why did he even bother working for Fox again? Jeez...

ShadowMaat
April 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Rumors may be premature. Felicia and Jed both Tweeted that the 13th ep wasn't going to air and fans naturally went into Panic Mode, but FOX pointed out a couple of articles from Hitfix (http://tinyurl.com/d7vzrp) and E! Online (http://tinyurl.com/d6lu6d) (which contains spoilers) that seem to indicate that FOX only ever planned to air 12 eps and the 13th was predestined for DVD-Land.

HOWEVER I still fully expect Dollhouse to be sent to the Attic and think it's only a matter of time before "wild" rumor turns into confirmed fact. I mean, this is FOX after all.

Gregorius
April 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I wonder, if Dollhouse gets canceled will it get picked up by SciFi? They've lost BSG and the only series they that next fall that might get good rating would be SGU.

Anyway, I don't think a cancellation will come as a surprise to most viewers. Fox's notorious for canceling a lot of series after 1 or 2 seasons. I think that a second season would be more shocking, especially considering the slow beginning of Dollhouse, than it being canceled.

Descent
April 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I wonder, if Dollhouse gets canceled will it get picked up by SciFi? They've lost BSG and the only series they that next fall that might get good rating would be SGU.

Caprica?

Gregorius
April 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Caprica?

I don't know about that one, it seems to be more of a soap than SciFi and that might lose SciFi (or Syfy) the BSG viewers. Furthermore for a long time they had this strong Friday evening with BSG, SG-1 and SGA, so a new Friday evening with Dollhouse, Caprica and SGU might get them better ratings.

Jeffala
April 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The actress who started this all with her tweet later recanted and specifically stated that Dollhouse wasn't being cancelled.

A thirteenth episode was made, not to air on TV, but to fulfill the DVD contract. It wasn't meant to air and just because it isn't, people are freaking out.

Daniela
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
If it's canceled I hope SciFi (SyFy) picks it up and shows the whole first season over spring/summer. I confess I missed all but two of the Dollhouse episodes, so I'd love the chance to see it again before I decide whether or not to get the DVD.

Madwelshboy
April 10th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I think we wont know about a cancellation or renewal untill these a official press release. Within a week we've had a article about Fox leaning towards picking the show up for a second season and now some individual that is blogging that the show will be cancelled becasue whats happening over episode 13.

IMO if its cancelled, i really dont see syfy picking it up. even tho if it could its current rating when tranfered to syfy, which would be very high number for them, i have a feeling that the show cost to much to produce in comparison to the average sci-fi show.

huntress
April 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I KNEW it was a gigantic mistake to work again with Fox.:( Damn it Joss didn't you learn anything from the last time around? You swore never to work with Fox again and here we are again....

The Signal
April 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Don't jump to any conclusions boys and girls

http://whedonesque.com/comments/19822#304585

Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it’s awesome.

Tim Minear | April 09, 21:47 CET

It was NEVER going to air on Fox.

Gregorius
April 10th, 2009, 03:01 AM
IMO if its cancelled, i really dont see syfy picking it up. even tho if it could its current rating when tranfered to syfy, which would be very high number for them, i have a feeling that the show cost to much to produce in comparison to the average sci-fi show.

Those costs would be nothing compared to the revenue created by getting high ratings, advertisers would love to buy commericial time during those shows.

But, as an alternative, what about the CW? Supernatural is ending next year and it would kinda fit their line-up.

Jill_Ion
April 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I think Dollhouse would do well on CW.

According to Apr 9 Tweet by @drhorrible
"Dollhouse Ep 13 bottom line: If more people watch Dollhouse LIVE, the higher our chances for a 2nd season(AKA airing 13). Pass it on. xoDrH"

Gregorius
April 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Problem with people watching it live is that it's airing on a Friday night, so a lot of people TiVo it. Another large group can't watch it live and has to rely on other means to watch it.

Imo the whole ratings thing is out of date and if they really want to see how well a show is doing, they should check the torrent sites and see how popular the torrents are. It would also give them a good indication of how well DVD sales and such will be.

ShadowMaat
April 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
There's also the fact that even though I watch it live I'm not a Nielsen member, so what I do doesn't matter.

Gregorius
April 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
There's also the fact that even though I watch it live I'm not a Nielsen member, so what I do doesn't matter.

Speaking of Nielsen and ratings, in the Netherlands a popular blog decided to show how flawed the ratings are by interviewing people with boxes (The stories are quite amusing, such as people adding extra persons to the lists when a show they like is on) and manipulating the boxes into given poorly received shows extreme ratings boosts.

Anyway, as I said before, checking the torrent sites would be a way better means of determining how popular a show is.

I just hope Dollhouse doesn't get canceled because like most of Joss Whedon's shows it needs one or two seasons before it picks up some steam.

ShadowMaat
April 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I just hope Dollhouse doesn't get canceled because like most of Joss Whedon's shows it needs one or two seasons before it picks up some steam.
You know, there's an evil little voice inside me that keeps whispering "If Dollhouse gets canceled Joss will have more time to work on Doctor Horrible stuff." :D

Shameful, I know. hehe

Madwelshboy
April 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Problem with people watching it live is that it's airing on a Friday night, so a lot of people TiVo it. Another large group can't watch it live and has to rely on other means to watch it.

Imo the whole ratings thing is out of date and if they really want to see how well a show is doing, they should check the torrent sites and see how popular the torrents are. It would also give them a good indication of how well DVD sales and such will be.

Yeh checking torrents would show how popular the show is, but Fox don't care about it being popular on torrents as they cant make money from advertiser's. At the end of the day they are a business, who make money from advertiser's that pay money for their products to be advertised during a specific show. if a show is dropping in the ratings then advertiser's are less likely to want to buy time during that show and when it gets to the point when the cost of the show is more than they earn, they drop the show.

The Signal
April 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
From what I hear though, Dollhouse is cheaper than most shows for a number of reasons - one being the big central hub set of the Dollhouse which was built using what would usually have been used to fund a pilot. That means that about half of every episode costs nothing in terms of location because they already have it set up. Plus having three actors (Eliza, Enver and Dichen) who can fill any role as a natural extension of the premise means they don't have to pay for top guest stars every week. Three episodes left, and there have been whispers of Fox looking to fix things so that they CAN give this a second series - I'm not optimistic nor am I counting down until they say the show is done, I'm personally just enjoying the ride now that it's FINALLY starting to live up to its potential.

Gregorius
April 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
You know, there's an evil little voice inside me that keeps whispering "If Dollhouse gets canceled Joss will have more time to work on Doctor Horrible stuff." :D

Shameful, I know. hehe

Yeah, that would be great too. Something like the Revenge of Hammer. :p

Yeh checking torrents would show how popular the show is, but Fox don't care about it being popular on torrents as they cant make money from advertiser's. At the end of the day they are a business, who make money from advertiser's that pay money for their products to be advertised during a specific show. if a show is dropping in the ratings then advertiser's are less likely to want to buy time during that show and when it gets to the point when the cost of the show is more than they earn, they drop the show.

Well, I'll say what I've been saying about the big networks for some time: They're idiots. If they offered their own international torrent service for a monthly fee (Like $10 for all series on Fox) and make it HD quality, they'd have a goldmine. The torrent system would mean less costs for them in terms of bandwith and they could sell ad space on the index site. Futhermore with something like "This show is sponsored by" at the beginning, middle and ending of each episode, lasting about 2 ~ 5 seconds each, they could sell commercials people'd actually watch.

Hermiiod
April 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
"What the hell Fox?" indeed!

The Mastage Kidd
April 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Wait. If the 13th ep is dvd only and never airs, and a second season is made, is the unaired 13th ep canon?

I read somewhere (not sure where) that advertisers are starting to pay for more product placement instead of ads to make sure that people who watch on torrents see their mini ad :P

Madwelshboy
April 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Joss Whedon speculates on Dollhouse's future and teases the 13th episode

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's sci-fi series Dollhouse, told a group of reporters that he's resigned to the show's fate and that a second-season pickup is unlikely, but that he holds out hope for a renewal. Fox has not yet announced its plans, but the show's ratings have been below expectations and it is not expected to be picked up.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-whedon-speculates-on.php

huntress
April 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Joss Whedon speculates on Dollhouse's future and teases the 13th episode

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's sci-fi series Dollhouse, told a group of reporters that he's resigned to the show's fate and that a second-season pickup is unlikely, but that he holds out hope for a renewal. Fox has not yet announced its plans, but the show's ratings have been below expectations and it is not expected to be picked up.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-whedon-speculates-on.php

Damn :(

The Mastage Kidd
April 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Damn :(
My thoughts exactly. I'm making it a policy to not watch another Joss Wheadon show until it's second season now. Hopefully he makes a policy to not work with Fox again so my policy doesn't kill his next show. lol

Gregorius
April 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM
*sighs* Time to move this show to Showtime or HBO.

Marianne_24
April 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
My thoughts exactly. I'm making it a policy to not watch another Joss Wheadon show until it's second season now. Hopefully he makes a policy to not work with Fox again so my policy doesn't kill his next show. lol

That is actually a good plan...although I only saw Firefly after it was cancelled and knew what to expect. Still I hope there's still a chance for a second series.

Jeffala
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
*sighs* Time to move this show to Showtime or HBO.

Because topless shots always increase the quality of a program.

The Mastage Kidd
April 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Yes, because showtime and HBO can't possibly do a show without topless shots. ;) You let one idiot put a topless shot in "Children of the Gods" and you never live it down. lol

(Also if it's tasteful and ads to the show there's nothing wrong with it. The version of "Children of the Gods without it always seems less scary to me than the one with it.)

Jeffala
April 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
You let one idiot put a topless shot in "Children of the Gods" and you never live it down. lol

LOL not just topless...

Marianne_24
April 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, because showtime and HBO can't possibly do a show without topless shots. ;) You let one idiot put a topless shot in "Children of the Gods" and you never live it down. lol

(Also if it's tasteful and ads to the show there's nothing wrong with it. The version of "Children of the Gods without it always seems less scary to me than the one with it.)

Nope, you don't :lol:

Gregorius
April 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM

In case you haven't noticed, the HBO and Showtime series have ratings and storylines far better than most network series. Sure their shows might have some nudity but, as I said, they create populair series with high ratings and good stories.

The Mastage Kidd
April 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
In case you haven't noticed, the HBO and Showtime series have ratings and storylines far better than most network series. Sure their shows might have some nudity but, as I said, they create populair series with high ratings and good stories.

Sure do. United States of Tara rocked ass. :D
And btw, the Band of Brothers Blu ray collection is worth every penny if anyone was wondering.

Madwelshboy
April 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I think it but will be a shame if Fox cancels it, but if they do its done (unless they do a movie ;)) I know people are saying it could go to this network or that network, but the problem is that Eliza has a talent holding contract with Fox, which she signed about two years ago now. Though i don't know how long the contract is or if cancelling a show which she stars will void the contract. But that's the main obstacle the show has to over come before it could move.

Gregorius
April 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sure do. United States of Tara rocked ass. :D

As did (and still do) True Blood, Dexter, Rome, Stargate SG-1 S1-5, Sopranos, etc...

And btw, the Band of Brothers Blu ray collection is worth every penny if anyone was wondering.

Definately, that series was great.

ShadowMaat
April 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Will be at the Dollhouse panel at Paleyfest tonight. Anyone have any Q's for me to ask? Beyond the obvious "will it get renewed?"

Gregorius
April 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, and thanks for offering to ask :D

- Will we ever see the attic?
- Will other dolls get self-awareness like Echo and Alpha?
- Will we find out this season what the purpose of the Dollhouse is?
* In the case of a composite event, which personality will be the dominant one or will a new (mesh) personality be formed? And what happens when there are conflicting skill sets, like one personality being unable to play music while the other's a musical genius?
- Will we ever get to see the other Dollhouses?
* Can an imprint override genetic mental predispositions? Or in other words, can an imprint of a genius personality in a "stupid" person turn that person in a genius? And can imprints create (autistic) savant abilities such as extreme memories or mental arithmetic?
* Can imprints be used to give people synesthesia (Like seeing music or seeing coloured letters in black and white books)?
* Can imprints be used to deal with mental conditions and stokes?

* are the most important question imo.

Have fun at the con, Shadow. :)

Jeffala
April 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Didn't Dominic say that he was put there by the NSA to keep the Dollhouse open? If he was telling the truth, does that mean that there is another mole still operating within the Dollhouse?

ShadowMaat
April 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
The microphones never even came NEAR our side. Which is double irritating since I was only in the second row.

Anyway, on topic, Joss said he felt, "Dare I say it? Hopeful" about Dollhouse's chances. "They love the show." So... fingers crossed. I'll repost my tweets from the panel in the Dollhouse news thread. Kinda incoherent at times and lots of typos, but you can get the gist anyway.

huntress
April 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Totally agree with you. I loved "Carnivale", "Dead Like Me" and "Six Feet Under" and I love "Californication" and "In Treatment". I am not a huge fan of "Dexter" or "True Blood" but they are both well made shows and yes all shows have adult content and nudity and they are all lightyears better then most shows that are shown on primetime television.

Joss should have kept to his own pledge to never work with Fox again.

Madwelshboy
April 16th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Dollhouse's Eliza Dushku on why Fox might renew the series

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/dollhouses-eliza-dushku-o.php

Gregorius
April 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Totally agree with you. I loved "Carnivale", "Dead Like Me" and "Six Feet Under" and I love "Californication" and "In Treatment". I am not a huge fan of "Dexter" or "True Blood" but they are both well made shows and yes all shows have adult content and nudity and they are all lightyears better then most shows that are shown on primetime television.

Heh, I forgot those. :p

A tad bit off-topic: About the adult content and nudity, why does it cause so much trouble in the US that it's only on the pay channels?

Joss should have kept to his own pledge to never work with Fox again.

He should make his series in the UK or Europe, there they appreciate complex storylines. :p

The microphones never even came NEAR our side. Which is double irritating since I was only in the second row.

That sucks.

Anyway, on topic, Joss said he felt, "Dare I say it? Hopeful" about Dollhouse's chances. "They love the show." So... fingers crossed. I'll repost my tweets from the panel in the Dollhouse news thread. Kinda incoherent at times and lots of typos, but you can get the gist anyway.

I'm glad he's feeling hopeful, that means at least someone is.

On th topic of Fox: I find it amusing that if they keep TTSCC and Dollhouse on Friday next season, if both get renewed, they'd have a stronger SciFi line-up than SciFiSyfy on Fiday.

Also, I see Prison Break's been moved to Friday 8 PM, does that mean it's going to be aired before Dollhouse?

ShadowMaat
April 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Joss's main reason for agreeing to work with FOX again is Eliza. She's contracted with FOX, so if he wanted her in it he needed to go with FOX.

The Mastage Kidd
April 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Joss's main reason for agreeing to work with FOX again is Eliza. She's contracted with FOX, so if he wanted her in it he needed to go with FOX.

He really should have found someone else he liked working with from buffy/andgel and used them then. On any network the show would last at least 5 seasons and he would have been able to snag her before half it's run was done. ;)

(I know he's not psychic, I just feel jerky today. MMMM... salted meat)

Arative
April 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
If you want to help save Dollhouse and other shows you like, if you don't have a neilson box, watch them on Itunes or Hulu. At least from those two sites, you'll be counted.

huntress
April 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
IF Dollhouse tanks due to the stupidity of Fox .....Well maybe he will finally do that project with Tony Head. Those two always wanted to make "Ripper" and the Beep was also very interested. I know that Tony is now busy with "Merlin" but I am sure he will have time for another show in between ...or at least a mini-series

Regarding nudity and adult content: beats me but then I am also from the other side of the pond LOL Some friends of mine from the US once said that the US has a p*enis phobia. They panic when they see one, hence no speedos unless that person is gay or a professional swimmer ...which is sometimes a real shame : remembers Mulder in red speedos :

ShadowMaat
April 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
If Dollhouse tanks I want more Doctor Horrible. Plain and simple. :P

Gregorius
April 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
If you want to help save Dollhouse and other shows you like, if you don't have a neilson box, watch them on Itunes or Hulu. At least from those two sites, you'll be counted.

Good thing I can use those things if I'm outside the US, oh wait, I can't.

The networks are really screwing themselves by not allowing people from outside the US to use those things. I don't know if they realise it, but there are markets outside the US where shows that tank in the US are very popular (I seem to recall Baywatch got a second season because it was popular in Germany and went on to become a hit).

So tell me, how can I, a person outside of the US, support Dollhouse?

@Shadow: A sequel to Doc Hor, that would be interesting. :D

@huntress: I find it amusing that here, in Europe, people get pissed off when shows with nudity and harsh language get edited (Remember Rome and the BBC? :P).

Arative
April 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM

The networks are really screwing themselves by not allowing people from outside the US to use those things. I don't know if they realise it, but there are markets outside the US where shows that tank in the US are very popular (I seem to recall Baywatch got a second season because it was popular in Germany and went on to become a hit).

People outside the US don't count where it concerns ratings for US advertising dollars. Its unfortunate but that is the reality in which we live. Hopefully with more streaming content available that changes, as the technology exists or will exist soon to provide ad delivery based on IP address on sites with streaming media. You know if I'm watching Dollhouse in the US on hulu, I get ads for McDonalds or whatever, if you watching Dollhouse in the UK, you get an ad for Queen Ann's pub or whatever.
Technology is changing, viewing habits are changing, just the entertainment industry is about 5 years behind the times when it comes to that.

Although if you want to watch hulu now, I'd suggest going through a proxy to hide your original IP address, so it makes it seem like you are in the US.

Gregorius
April 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
People outside the US don't count where it concerns ratings for US advertising dollars. Its unfortunate but that is the reality in which we live.

Which is utterly idiotic. They've paid for the ads, it's in their best interest to get it to as many people as possible. I might visit the US someday and if I've seen a Starbucks commercial I'm more likely to go there.

If Comedy Central can stream to the whole world (Daily Show, Colbert Report) with, at times, commercials then why can't Fox which is orders of magnitude larger?

Hopefully with more streaming content available that changes, as the technology exists or will exist soon to provide ad delivery based on IP address on sites with streaming media.

It already exists. It's merely the big media companies that want to retain their control over what each region gets to watch. Why should I, in Europe, wait a few weeks/months/years to get what the US gets immediately? It makes no sense other than when you want to retain control over each region's series.

You know if I'm watching Dollhouse in the US on hulu, I get ads for McDonalds or whatever, if you watching Dollhouse in the UK, you get an ad for Queen Ann's pub or whatever.

We have, sadly although their McFlurry seems to be edible, McDonalds in Europe. As I said before, if I've seen US commercials I might be more inclined to use those products if I go to the US.

Technology is changing, viewing habits are changing, just the entertainment industry is about 5 years behind the times when it comes to that.

Exactly, and make it more like 10 years behind.

Although if you want to watch hulu now, I'd suggest going through a proxy to hide your original IP address, so it makes it seem like you are in the US.

I don't have to. I live in a country where downloading of episodes is completely legal, and why should I watch streaming when I can get 720p episodes for free and in far better quality?

Anyway, I think I'm getting a bit off-topic too much, but my point is this: "Why ignore regions outside the US when the markets there are much larger?"

AutumnDream
April 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Honestly, Dukushu is not good enough an actress to justify working with Fox as opposed to a more capable cable network.

The Mastage Kidd
April 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Honestly, Dukushu is not good enough an actress to justify working with Fox as opposed to a more capable cable network.

Joss is blindly loyal to his favorite cast members. Can't fault a guy for that.

Amalthea
April 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
<snip>
Also, I see Prison Break's been moved to Friday 8 PM, does that mean it's going to be aired before Dollhouse?

According to my TV Guide, Dollhouse isn't on this week. Instead there are 2 hours of Prison Break.

Arative
April 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Which is utterly idiotic. They've paid for the ads, it's in their best interest to get it to as many people as possible. I might visit the US someday and if I've seen a Starbucks commercial I'm more likely to go there.

If Comedy Central can stream to the whole world (Daily Show, Colbert Report) with, at times, commercials then why can't Fox which is orders of magnitude larger?

I don't know, probably because Fox just airs Dollhouse, it is produced by another studio who has the rights to rebroadcast it? Whereas Comedy Central owns the content it airs.

It already exists. It's merely the big media companies that want to retain their control over what each region gets to watch. Why should I, in Europe, wait a few weeks/months/years to get what the US gets immediately? It makes no sense other than when you want to retain control over each region's series.

I'm not saying you should but that's the reality we live in right now until entertainment exec's pull their head out of their asses. I'm in the same boat, I don't get European programing until some network airs it over here.

I don't have to. I live in a country where downloading of episodes is completely legal, and why should I watch streaming when I can get 720p episodes for free and in far better quality?

Because you don't ad's when your torrent it and these programs are supported by ad revenue. Why do you think they get canceled? Because the ratings don't justify the cost of producing it because the show doesn't bring in the ratings. If you watched on hulu, through a proxy, you'd be counted as another set of eyeballs and be generating revenue for the network and studio. They don't produce content out of the kindness of their hearts, they do it to make money.

Madwelshboy
April 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Joss Whedon: What it will take for Dollhouse to survive

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's sci-fi series Dollhouse, told reporters that there is still a chance that Fox will pick the show up for a second season, provided the remaining four episodes do well—especially with a new lead-in, Prison Break, which replaces Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles in the timeslot before, starting April 24.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-whedon-what-it-will.php

The Mastage Kidd
April 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Because you don't ad's when your torrent it and these programs are supported by ad revenue. Why do you think they get canceled? Because the ratings don't justify the cost of producing it because the show doesn't bring in the ratings. If you watched on hulu, through a proxy, you'd be counted as another set of eyeballs and be generating revenue for the network and studio. They don't produce content out of the kindness of their hearts, they do it to make money.
True, but they only care about American eyeballs and for good reason. The people placing the ads are placing them to appeal to Americans, for American products, that are usually available in America. As someone who doesn't live in the states, if I do that I'm screwing up the companies data. It might keep it on the air slightly longer, but when the ads prove to be not attracting the amount of people they should for the money being spent, the sponsor will pull the ad money anyway. If enough of them do the show will be canceled anyway, after a budget cut. All screwing with the data like that does is make sure a series makes a bunch of really cheap/crappy episodes near the end. Americans need to make sure they are being counted, but the marketing people don't (and shouldn't) care about people in foreign markets.

knowles2
April 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM

@Shadow: A sequel to Doc Hor, that would be interesting. :D

@huntress: I find it amusing that here, in Europe, people get pissed off when shows with nudity and harsh language get edited (Remember Rome and the BBC? :P).
you can if you know how to...........whole mods wot let me tell.

Gregorius
April 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'm not saying you should but that's the reality we live in right now until entertainment exec's pull their head out of their asses. I'm in the same boat, I don't get European programing until some network airs it over here.

Besides Doctor Who and other BBC shows you're not missing much, since a lot of European programs can't be aired on US telly due to the language used and the nudity.

So unlike Europeans you're not missing much.

Hey, don't blame me. According to them I don't count as a viewer since I'm not in the USA and thus

*shrug* Their loss.

If Fox or something set up a subscription service where I could download (perhaps with torrents) the latest episodes from their servers (or seeds) in HD quality, I'd be more than willing to pay. Until that time, I won't even bother with streaming because the files offered on certain sites are far higher quality and don't suffer from buffering or crappy flash players, plus as not being in the US I don't count.

you can if you know how to...........whole mods wot let me tell.

I know how. I won't take the trouble to do it, I've got better things to do with my time.

pjt
April 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hey, don't blame me. According to them I don't count as a viewer since I'm not in the USA and thus

*shrug* Their loss.

If Fox or something set up a subscription service where I could download (perhaps with torrents) the latest episodes from their servers (or seeds) in HD quality, I'd be more than willing to pay. Until that time, I won't even bother with streaming because the files offered on certain sites are far higher quality and don't suffer from buffering or crappy flash players, plus as not being in the US I don't count.

Exactly. The thing is they just can't pull their heads out of their collective backsides, and realize that they can't have it both ways: can't be the same time the stuck up backsideholes, who just don't care for the 'rest of the world', and also the whining crybabies who stand there hurt and suffering that the 'rest of the world' is not waiting for the shows to get there after long years (and to be butchered by awful dubs) but gets them in somewhat not too legal ways.

It's their loss. Well, a bit our loss too, because we don't get new seasons, but until they grow up and realize this isn't the '20th century Fox' anymore, they are just hopeless.

Gregorius
April 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Exactly. The thing is they just can't pull their heads out of their collective backsides, and realize that they can't have it both ways: can't be the same time the stuck up backsideholes, who just don't care for the 'rest of the world', and also the whining crybabies who stand there hurt and suffering that the 'rest of the world' is not waiting for the shows to get there after long years (and to be butchered by awful dubs) but gets them in somewhat not too legal ways.

Exactly. Why on Earth do countries outside the US have to wait 1 ~ 7 years to get a new (season of a) series (Yes, it's that bad) after the US has gotten it? They're screwing themselves because some shows that are unpopulair in the US are populair in other countries and they could make a lot of cash had they offered an opportunity for the people there to watch it at the same time as the US.

It's their loss. Well, a bit our loss too, because we don't get new seasons, but until they grow up and realize this isn't the '20th century Fox' anymore, they are just hopeless.

True. They aren't adapting to the new markets. A subscriber torrent service for example would get them tons of cash, especially if they open up their archives and offer high speeds.

The Mastage Kidd
April 18th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Exactly. Why on Earth do countries outside the US have to wait 1 ~ 7 years to get a new (season of a) series (Yes, it's that bad) after the US has gotten it? They're screwing themselves because some shows that are unpopulair in the US are populair in other countries and they could make a lot of cash had they offered an opportunity for the people there to watch it at the same time as the US.

This is mostly a problem with network licening, or making slight localization edits that take time. And it goes the other way to. Off the top of my head, Dragnball Z finished it's run in Japan in 1995. Look how long it took for the us to get that.

pjt
April 18th, 2009, 04:57 AM
A subscriber torrent service for example would get them tons of cash, especially if they open up their archives and offer high speeds.

I wouldn't think twice if there was a 10-20$ subscription fee to watch shows online legally.

huntress
April 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I think in the case of Rome it was simply a wee bit too much LOL One of thei main gripes was the full frontal nudity and the humour was sometimes really coarse but after much grumbling and moaning they aired the series WITHOUT any editing (in the re-run) and that is the main difference between television over here and the US.