PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What sci-fi TV series ended in the worst way? (SG1)

prion
April 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=2355

Poll: What sci-fi TV series ended in the worst way?

EXCERPTS:

In recent weeks, the re-imagined version of Battlestar Galactica aired its final episode, “Daybreak, Part 2,” to much gnashing of teeth and dissatisfaction amongst its fandom. In fact, the series finale was so poorly received that SF Signal asked a host of sci-fi scribes how it should have been fixed. (Be warned, there are spoilers, but if you want a hint of what happened without ruining the surprise, this clip from Angel pretty well sums up the BSG finale.) Suffice it to say, the are many suggestions for improvement.

Stargate SG-1 “Unending” - In a finale that does nothing to resolve the (rather lame) Ori invason plot threads that plagued the series’ final seasons, the SG-1 Team — sans Richard Dean Anderson — are trapped in a time loop that forces them to have maudlin character moments before hitting the big reset button, negating the bad writing we just endured.

REST AT LINK ABOVE. GO TO LINK ABOVE TO VOTE!

Descent
April 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
- Unending is not one of my favorite series finales....for various reasons. Full Circle and Lost City had already attempted to end the series on a satisfying note and, to me, they would've succeeded as Series Finales.

- I understand all of the mixed feelings about Daybreak but I would never call it one of the worst series finales ever. It was a decent end for the series and the characters.

- Not Fade Away? Really? That was a perfect way to end that series. Angel was always about the 'fight'. No happy endings for that crew.

- The Truth? Hmm. Never have been an X-Files fan, probably never will be....but that finale sure sounds terrible.

- "Mirror Image" and "Endgame" were fine. Not stellar... but they were alright.

Eh. Going on what I've heard and how terrible it is, I voted for "These Are The Voyages...". I feel that most of the finales they listed were alright-great in my book.

Briangate78
April 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
It's good to see that SGA did not make any of these list. Poor BSG keeps getting bashed for their ending. I actually loved the ending with the exception of Starbuck's fate.

I think it would be unfair to even say SGA ended bad because it did not have a "That was it" or "WTF just happened" type of ending. It was a clean finale where the producers had very little notice to work on it, and did the best they could. The most common complaints I have seem from folks was that it was not long enough and moved too quickly and should of been two parts. I also think the show ended good because it was a full circle type ending.

Myself personally it felt like a great season finale rather than a series finale. we all know the BS about SGA being canned. The show should of had a 6th season, and people can argue with me, but that is what I believe, and will for the rest of my life. When I mean should I don't mean because I want, I mean from a businsess perspective it should of been renewed because of it's performance.

To Recap:

Stargate SG-1

Ending was more like a stand alone ep and did not continue or end anything with the Ori. What did happen was that they killed off the Asgard which was the lamest thing ever. Makes you wonder why I loved "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe" so much.

BSG

God did it.

SGA

Wraith finally reached earth through info sent from an alternate reality (Vegas) which was their plan from day one. Atlantis returns to Earth which was a Full Circle ending leaving the question of what will happen to the team and how will they get back to Pegasus.

I think out of all these 3 shows, SGA had the smoothest ending. Whether you liked it or not is another story.

Spidey3121
April 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
'Not Fade Away' was an amazing series finale for Angel.

The worst of the lot is easily ST: Enterprises 'These Are The Voyages...' as it had nothing to do with those aboard the Enterprise. I didn't hate the show as many did - sure it had some really bad episodes + they weren't balanced by enough good one's but there are some really solid 'Enterprise' episodes.

'The Truth (1&2)' was a solid enough finale for the X-Files. Yeah... it wasn't great but it was better than (most) all other 18 episodes from the series 9th season.

Nchewbacca
April 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
'Lantis
I have to say, the worst ending I know of is the stargate atlantis one. Way too rushed, and WTF? Wormhole drives? That's a "crap, how will they get there in time? I know!!! A technology that the ANCIENTS couldn't get to work that they should've been destroyed by!!! YAY.... wait, WTF!!!" moment. hehehe.....
I understand that they had very little notice of the cancellation, but "Vegas" was a completely wasted and unnecessary episode. They could've had a two- part battle with all of Earth's ships vs. a wraith armada, or something along those lines. Or, they could've kept with the "Vegas" storyline (which I absolutely hated) and applied for a two hour special for the series finale. I'm sure that Sci Fi (oops, "sy fy") could've given up some of its "Planet Raptor" or "Sharks in Venice" time for one of its most succesful series ever. Absolutely pitiful on Sci Fi's part.

Stargate SG-1
could've been much better, but I didn't hate it that much. I knew there would be movies, so I realized that the final episode would not be "the end" and have to sum up the storyline. Actually, I think it would have been cool for them to (instead of killing of the Asgard) have a classic "go-through-the-gate-and-solve-a-problem episode, to finish with a "classic touch" I have always loved those sorts of episodes, and when a show starts falling away from those episodes in favor of cheesy story arcs *cough, stargate atlantis, cough* I know that the series will soon "jump the shark"

BSG
I liked most of the episode, really, but the last 3-ish minutes? Just plain odd. It would have been nice to end with Adama on Earth (real Earth, this time) staring off into the countryside next to Roslin's grave. If they got rid of the last 3 minutes and added in a few decent explanations of who starbuck and Baltar were, it could have been much better. The whole Baltar and Number Six angels and the whole robot warning thing? W T F!!!!!!!!!?

Pharaoh Atem
April 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM

"not fade away" was the best :cameron:

Nero_200
April 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Not Fade Away? Really? That was a perfect way to end that series. Angel was always about the 'fight'. No happy endings for that crew.

"not fade away" was the best :cameron:

as a huge fan of Angel i do agree that the series finale is better than most you get in a sci fi show but it left a really unsatifiyng taste in my mouth especially the way things were rushed you just knew that this isnt really then end that there was more to come after this but i guess im over the cancellation of that show a little bit now such as shame that great sci fi shows get cancelled when there still going good or getting better.

Orion Antreas
April 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Personally, I enjoyed BSG finale. I ain't a fan of BSG, but a 'once in awhile, casual viewer'. I thought it had a twist and was interesting in how they ended it. It felt like it had closure.

As for SG-1, I admit loosing the Asgard was a downer, but it was nice to see some of the interaction among the crew. Personally, I would have preferred for them to stick with the 'season 10 finale' they had in mind and leave it as a cliffhanger and have the first DVD movie pick off from that. Many people might disagree, but I wouldn't have minded that.

I enjoyed Voyager finale. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad.

I will agree that "These Are the Voyages..." is probably the worst finale. Everything they did with that was a downer. I ain't a big Star Trek fan, simply a casual failure, but it disappointed me compared to other finales. I still enjoyed the series though.

Geez...No wonder why I don't like critics...Almost everything I had ended with some optimism. Lol.

amforster
April 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
here goes... my fav ends to Sci Fi TV series...

0) Firefly - Not really an ending, the film was essentially their ending...
1) DS9 - Really excellent ending to the best SCI FI series
2) BSG - I really like the ending, had finality and was unexpected
3) TNG - I would love to see a Q themed TNG movie.
3a) Quantum Leap - Good ending, remember liking it but cannot remember the details
4) SG1 - Unending was great
5) Farscape - The Peacekeeper wars ending was pretty cool
6) Voyager - A little disappointing, could have been more epic
7) Enterprise - Actually thought it was okay considering. Show could have been a lot better than it was if they had continued with the time war theme.
8) Atlantis - Disappointing
9) Futurama - Never really got an ending
10) XFiles - Didn't like it, though i never really got involved with Xfiles anyway
1000) Sliders - Really started good but ended terrible...

Have left out loads of SCIFI shows... some never really ended (E.g. Star Trek TOS) Others are not SCIfi shows so did not mention them. Others only lasted a season and/or were not good enough to mention. Firefly had a big enough effect on me to be included.

Not sure about Angel as i never watched it. Buffy was great ending but wasn't scifi (nor was Angel?).

retiredat44
April 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Tripping the Rift never got an ending..
First Wave ending was good, but the series was stopped way too soon,,great show...
;)
Sliders was great.. but the series could have had a more satisfying ending... (I still want it it come back..)

prion
April 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I thought all the choices had their validity. Let's see scifi endings that sucked. Well, Voyager tops it, but I thought SG1 was sucky cuz well, NOTHING happened, except Teal'c getting a little grayer. Would be an okay stand-alone but the ending? Nah.

SGA was far too pat.

GatorProduct4
April 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if it had to be a "Sci Fi channel" series but NBC's EARTH 2 had the worst ending of all time of any show in my opinion, one season with no conclusion. You never found out if they ever made it to their destination. I have the series on DVD, but it just ends so abruptly :(

but I also wasn't happy how SG1 ended also, way too rushed for a ten-year show.

Descent
April 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
7) Enterprise - Actually thought it was okay considering. Show could have been a lot better than it was if they had continued with the time war theme.

Not sure about Angel as i never watched it. Buffy was great ending but wasn't scifi (nor was Angel?).

I thought the 'time war' was one of the reasons so many Enterprise fans got upset and stopped watching?

Also, yeah. Angel and Buffy are 'Supernatural Fantasy' shows. You're missing out if you haven't watched Angel. IMHO, it was the better show.

TheRandomOne
April 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
First two that come to mind are

Veritas: The Quest & Roswell

jenks
April 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I think the only reason Unending could be considered a crappy ending is because it isn't one, hence the title. ;)

stargateolympus
April 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Of the series finales I've seen I liked the majority of them.

SG-1 : Unending could have been better I admit, but I liked the way we saw what could have happened if the series had been allowed to continue. And as controversial as it is I liked that they killed off the Asgard. Don't get me wrong I liked the little guys, and loved Thor, but it was about time humanity stood on it's own two legs. We had relied on the Asgard for the past ten years, when the going got tough and TPTB couldn't think of a way to get the heros out of the situation they could always call the Asgard in. As much as I miss the Asgard I thought Unending was a decent series finale. Esspecially considering they were expecting an 11th season coming into season 10.

Atlantis : Enemy at the Gate again could have been much better. As others have said it felt too rushed. I liked Unending because it added character development to the action, but there was very little time for that in Enemy at the Gate with the non stop action and danger. However the attack on Earth, and Atlantis coming home was enough to make up for the air thin plot lines (oh a ZPM makes wraith tech so much better than even Ancient tech, wormhole drive, chair happens to be moved to an above ground warehouse in plain sight, ect) So it made for a decent series finale.

Enterprise : Surprisingly I liked this finale a lot. To me the series was solid except for the time war and Xindi (spelling?) war. The whole series had been building up to the day the Federation was to be formed and this finale fulfilled reached that. I especially liked how they tied in this series to the Next Generation, To me it was one of the best episodes of this series.

Farscape : If we go by the series finale I liked it, but at the same time didn't like it. The episode as a whole was good but it left too many questions unanswered, and then to have it end like it did was just a "WTF?!" moment. The Peacekeeper Wars did a much better job at ending the series than the actual series finale did.

Star Trek The Next Generation : I'm not sure if this is on the list but I had to throw it in there as in my opinion it is the best series finale I've seen. All Good Things just brought everything I loved about The Next Generation and upped it a notch. Bringing the past, present, and future together accomplished so much for me and it still is one of my all time favorite Star Trek episodes out there.

Descent
April 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Almost every show's series finale ended badly.

Really? If you say so.... :rolleyes:

So these finales ended terribly?:

"All Good Things" - "So, five card stud, nothing wild... and the sky's the limit." Great ending. I couldn't ask for more.

"What You Leave Behind" - That montage scene at the end. Everyone's goodbyes to eachother. Pretty much perfect.

"Full Circle" - Lots of action, lots of great moments. Daniel facing off with Anubis. Everything coming back to Abydos. Kind of a "What now?" ending. Loved it.

"Not Fade Away" - ^Look above^

So yes! Almost every show on the planet has ended so badly. That's exactly why a lot of people love these finales. :P

jelgate
April 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
You do know Full Circle isn't a series finale:P

Descent
April 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
You do know Full Circle isn't a series finale:P

But it was written as one. Just like Lost City was written as one before they got renewed. Again! :P

Descent
April 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
That's why i said ALMOST. TNG's and DS9's endings were awesome! If i look at Full Circle as a Series Finale, it was great as well

That's why I have to strongly disagree! :P I've seen plenty of series finales and I don't feel like 80%-99% of them were terrible. Most of them were satisfying conclusions.

I'm not a big Voyager fan, but even I liked Endgame. Sure, it highlighted some of that series' problems and was a bit anti-climatic, but I wasn't like "OH MY! THIS IS THE WORST THING...EVER! WHAT A TERRIBLE ENDING!". No. They got home. What else did you want from a series that didn't reach for very much? :P

Out of all the shows I've seen, I would say that Sliders ended terribly (but, that show was terrible for 3 years prior to the finale so...big deal.) and... that's pretty much it (probably one or two other shows that I can't remember atm). I haven't seen Enterprise but I already know it's terrible just from what I've read about it.

You can't count Farscape's "Bad Timing" as a series finale because... it wasn't one. Watch Peacekeeper Wars.

So... yeah. :P

spinny magee
April 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
1. Sg1 Unending awesome however it could of been better if it had o'neill in there instead of Landry.

2.Sga Not much to say about it the finale was open ended it was just sort of an ending

3 Ds9: Liked the ending didn't expect Sisko to die, the way he died I didn't like that much

4. BSG: Up to when Starbuck left in a weird way/roslin died whatever came first was ok then it went bad when that happened too many questions unanswered hopefully they will be answered in the TV movie.

5. Star trek Voy: Could of had more a "BANG" at the end way to predictable.

6.Enterprise: Hated the finale it was just really bad in my opinion.

Also if SG1 ended in season 8 Threads definitely should of been the finale.

meisje1971
April 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM
here goes... my fav ends to Sci Fi TV series...

0) Firefly - Not really an ending, the film was essentially their ending...
1) DS9 - Really excellent ending to the best SCI FI series
2) BSG - I really like the ending, had finality and was unexpected
3) TNG - I would love to see a Q themed TNG movie.
3a) Quantum Leap - Good ending, remember liking it but cannot remember the details
4) SG1 - Unending was great
5) Farscape - The Peacekeeper wars ending was pretty cool
6) Voyager - A little disappointing, could have been more epic
8) Atlantis - Disappointing
9) Futurama - Never really got an ending
10) XFiles - Didn't like it, though i never really got involved with Xfiles anyway
1000) Sliders - Really started good but ended terrible...

Have left out loads of SCIFI shows... some never really ended (E.g. Star Trek TOS) Others are not SCIfi shows so did not mention them. Others only lasted a season and/or were not good enough to mention. Firefly had a big enough effect on me to be included.

Love to see another DS9 fan, I actually cried when I saw the last episode.
Firefly got the ending they deserved (Serenity was a fantastic movie).
Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was also a well deserved ending (and tied up a few loose ends).
Enterprise: I didn't like the last episode (why kill off Trip?! :danielanime08:)
BSG: the ending could have been worse
SGA: totally unsatifying
Voyager: a bit lame

reddevil18
April 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Personally, I loved Unending. Sure, it didn't resolve anything. But that plays into the title...It wasn't meant to give finality. They were still going off on missions at the end of the day. Did I prefer seeing the original team fishing, knowing everything's resolved, yet not over, as in Moebius? Sure. But I liked Unending nonetheless. And to say that it was poorly written is silly. It had some wonderful, extremely powerful(if somewhat cliched) moments.
My only complaint was how the Asgard race's demise came about so quickly and unexpectedly.

Spacefan
April 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Wow, I guess I'm really old because the first scifi series that comes to mind that ended VERY badly was Space, Above and Beyond. The Fox network never treated the series right and didn't know what a gem they had in the series. The show ended abruptly leaving so many story threads just hanging. It is one of several reasons, other than political ones, that I so dislike the Fox network. My 2 cents...

P.S. I'm new to the forum by the way and a HUGE fan of both Stargate series' going back to when Stargate SG-1 was on Showtime (it was the only reason I subscribed to it).

Duneknight
April 8th, 2009, 06:56 AM
unending was the coolest. sorry guys but it was an emotional episode that was needed. but i also like Nchewbacca idea, where they couldve let them do a standalone mission that challenged their relationship or showed the strength of the team. unending was almost like that, i liked the metaphor and the existential situation they were in.

Wib
April 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I didn't like Enterprise's ending as it was essentially a sub-plot during an episode of TNG (plus Trip died which peed me off), BSG was brilliant apart from what happened with starbuck and Angel just abruptly stopped, i was expecting a second episode to start but it didn't.

Espeon1962
April 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I always very much enjoyed the Voyager series ending. For one thing, it actually provided closure! Secondly, the premise as to how it was resolved was in my mind unexpected. I rank it as one of the better finales, rather then one of the worst.

Lets face it, an "original" ending is very hard to do, there is a huge library of scifi, and almost every ending one can imagine has been done somewhere, somehow. From the comments, and threads in which I have been participating, fans dislike copouts (the whole god thing in BSG is what has put off many) and endings that are not endings - where many plot threads are left unresolved.

If these are avoided the ending will satisfy me much of the time. Call me simple but that is what works for me!

Angela V
April 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Turns out, none of the brain-dead retcons that Enterprise made to Star Trek continuity were true. It was all just a badly written holodeck program inside a lesser episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Put simply: Even for a TV show, the whole series was meaningless. As a metaphor for the pale copy-of-copy this show represented, this was appropriate. Captivating, worthwhile television? Not so much.

What am I not getting from the blurb on Enterprise? Troi and Riker were looking back on HISTORY through the holodeck, weren't they? Or did I curse too much at the tv to notice anything different?

The ending of shows is all about what everyone likes and dislikes anyway. I hardly ever hate an ending because I'm not writing the damn thing myself. Though I did hate the Enterprise ending for the fact the actual show itself should've been in the WHOLE show. Not some actors who look 10 years older than they should be if you pull out the actual episodes that this suppose look back at history was suppose to take place. That was wacked. Manny Coto wrote an excellent season 4 and HE should've been given the finale to write not B&B.

All other Treks had endings that fit their shows.

Graywolves
April 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
A series not mentioned was Dark Skies. Only one season. The final episode was likely NOT intended to be that way, so it ended really poorly. And such a good series that had potential. Too damn cerebral for the NBC audience, of which I am thoroughly convinced anything for that audience is too cerebral outside of reality shows.

On that note, down with CBS and NBC and FOX (and a few others like those channels) for taking on Sci-fi shows and wasting a good series concept only to cancel the show because of poor ratings. Sci-fi, for it to have a chance at survival, should ONLY be shown on sci-fi channels where it can be aptly appreciated, instead of marginalized and relegated to extremely ****ty timeslots. I am of course thinking of Terminator: TSCC. That series was just starting to get into a groove, as many series all take a season or two to do just that.

And I do agree with Enterprise thoughts....the Xindi story line was TOO DAMN LONG. The time wars thing was....WTF were they thinking? The Borg story line was...uh, excuse me...Star Trek has a long history (up to that series) of honoring history from previous episodes and series. That messed up the story of Picard's first encounter with the Borg, which should have established that the races of the Alpha quadrant had never met such an entity before. And the complete rewrite of the history that gave rise to Khan was also insulting. I had the impression that the writers of the series had NEVER seen nor read any of the preceeding story lines of the other series to keep it in line with the history of the ST universe. The only thing that kept me interested was T'Pol and her tight butt. The series finale left me disapointed. I was by this time extremely tired of STNG in any form. I would have better preferred the story be tied to the Voyager series instead.

philstar22
April 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I for one loved the Battlestar Galactica ending. I may not have agreed with all the philosophy, but it was the perfect ending to the series. It answered just enough questions while remaining mysterious as the series always has. It finished the arcs for all the characters.

For SG1, Unending really isn't the end. It is the end to the tv series, but Arc of Truth is the real end of the Ori arc. I think you have to judge it based on that. Undending was good at being what it was designed to be, a standalone episode that would showcase each of the characters while leaving things open for the shift to movie format.

I personally enjoyed the Voyager final. It wasn't the best episode of the series, but it was a perfect finish.

I can't really vote for Enterprise because I hated the series so much that I think a bad ending was the perfect finish.

In the end I voted for Angel because it was totally unsatisfying as a conclusion for the characters.

I thought that was a very poorly done article written by a bunch of people who assume that their opinions are shared by fans everywhere.

ToasterOnFire
April 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
I still think that the Enterprise finale was the worst ever. It was absurd.

Pharaoh Atem
April 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
I still think that the Enterprise finale was the worst ever. It was absurd.

the enterprise/next generation cross over yea i agree

raduzhok
April 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
It's good to see that SGA did not make any of these list. Poor BSG keeps getting bashed for their ending. I actually loved the ending with the exception of Starbuck's fate.

I did not feel happy with SGA's ending. But I also don't like the idea of any show I like, ending... though I know that wasn't the question. Mainly, I found it not satisfying. It felt patched together, rushed, uncertain of itself. And will there be a movie to fix all that was not right with the (SGA) world? I fear not, even though they've said they would.

SG1 Joe
April 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
SGA I think. Maybe they will complete it the way AOT did for SG1.

TheRandomOne
April 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Roswell

Korean_Turtle87
April 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
what about Andromeda? That entire last season was WTF

PG15
April 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I don't remember any Enterprise episodes called "These Are the Voyages..." How odd. Also, how very odd that my fingers started burning while typing that title out? Hmmm...

This article is so wrong. Enterprise ended with the brilliant "Terra Prime" (ah, now my fingers feel better). I don't understand.

Ishay
April 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
the ending to enterprise was a travesty :mad: who gives a frak about riker and his mid life crisis :mckay:

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
May 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure if it had to be a "Sci Fi channel" series but NBC's EARTH 2 had the worst ending of all time of any show in my opinion, one season with no conclusion. You never found out if they ever made it to their destination. I have the series on DVD, but it just ends so abruptly :(

I agree. Earth 2 was an interesting show. I won't buy the DVDs for that reason. No ending, so what's the point in starting. I realize a series with low ratings has to go, but even a low-rated show gets a few million viewers. The network should show enough respect for those viewers to allow the series producers to tie up as many loose ends as possible, even if it means producing a few extra episodes. (A naive assumption on my part I suppose.)

As for Battlestar Galactica I watched the whole series, out of passing interest more than anything, and it was never a top favorite of mine. The finale however, was terrific and my respect for the entire series skyrocketed several points. A great finish. Among other things, I liked the touch where they paid homage to the original BSG by playing a few bars of the original theme.

:)

Vyse99
May 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I have to agree Unending was pretty horrible for me at least, I was so disappointed when I watched it, they killed off the Asgard and the whole ep after the first 10 minutes was extremly slow and boring(watching SG-1 get old, I mean come on really?). It was cool seeing Earth finally get Asgard tech and finally blow up some ori ships, and then they couldn't even use it.