Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: What sci-fi TV series ended in the worst way? (SG1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: What sci-fi TV series ended in the worst way? (SG1)

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=2355

Poll: What sci-fi TV series ended in the worst way?

EXCERPTS:

In recent weeks, the re-imagined version of Battlestar Galactica aired its final episode, “Daybreak, Part 2,” to much gnashing of teeth and dissatisfaction amongst its fandom. In fact, the series finale was so poorly received that SF Signal asked a host of sci-fi scribes how it should have been fixed. (Be warned, there are spoilers, but if you want a hint of what happened without ruining the surprise, this clip from Angel pretty well sums up the BSG finale.) Suffice it to say, the are many suggestions for improvement.

Stargate SG-1 “Unending” - In a finale that does nothing to resolve the (rather lame) Ori invason plot threads that plagued the series’ final seasons, the SG-1 Team — sans Richard Dean Anderson — are trapped in a time loop that forces them to have maudlin character moments before hitting the big reset button, negating the bad writing we just endured.

REST AT LINK ABOVE. GO TO LINK ABOVE TO VOTE!

- Unending is not one of my favorite series finales....for various reasons. Full Circle and Lost City had already attempted to end the series on a satisfying note and, to me, they would've succeeded as Series Finales.

- I understand all of the mixed feelings about Daybreak but I would never call it one of the worst series finales ever. It was a decent end for the series and the characters.

- Not Fade Away? Really? That was a perfect way to end that series. Angel was always about the 'fight'. No happy endings for that crew.

- The Truth? Hmm. Never have been an X-Files fan, probably never will be....but that finale sure sounds terrible.

- "Mirror Image" and "Endgame" were fine. Not stellar... but they were alright.

Eh. Going on what I've heard and how terrible it is, I voted for "These Are The Voyages...". I feel that most of the finales they listed were alright-great in my book.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

It's good to see that SGA did not make any of these list. Poor BSG keeps getting bashed for their ending. I actually loved the ending with the exception of Starbuck's fate.

I think it would be unfair to even say SGA ended bad because it did not have a "That was it" or "WTF just happened" type of ending. It was a clean finale where the producers had very little notice to work on it, and did the best they could. The most common complaints I have seem from folks was that it was not long enough and moved too quickly and should of been two parts. I also think the show ended good because it was a full circle type ending.

Myself personally it felt like a great season finale rather than a series finale. we all know the BS about SGA being canned. The show should of had a 6th season, and people can argue with me, but that is what I believe, and will for the rest of my life. When I mean should I don't mean because I want, I mean from a businsess perspective it should of been renewed because of it's performance.

To Recap:

Stargate SG-1

Ending was more like a stand alone ep and did not continue or end anything with the Ori. What did happen was that they killed off the Asgard which was the lamest thing ever. Makes you wonder why I loved "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe" so much.

BSG

God did it.

SGA

Wraith finally reached earth through info sent from an alternate reality (Vegas) which was their plan from day one. Atlantis returns to Earth which was a Full Circle ending leaving the question of what will happen to the team and how will they get back to Pegasus.

I think out of all these 3 shows, SGA had the smoothest ending. Whether you liked it or not is another story.
      sigpic

Comment

'Not Fade Away' was an amazing series finale for Angel.

The worst of the lot is easily ST: Enterprises 'These Are The Voyages...' as it had nothing to do with those aboard the Enterprise. I didn't hate the show as many did - sure it had some really bad episodes + they weren't balanced by enough good one's but there are some really solid 'Enterprise' episodes.

'The Truth (1&2)' was a solid enough finale for the X-Files. Yeah... it wasn't great but it was better than (most) all other 18 episodes from the series 9th season.

Comment

'Lantis
          I have to say, the worst ending I know of is the stargate atlantis one. Way too rushed, and WTF? Wormhole drives? That's a "crap, how will they get there in time? I know!!! A technology that the ANCIENTS couldn't get to work that they should've been destroyed by!!! YAY.... wait, WTF!!!" moment. hehehe.....
          I understand that they had very little notice of the cancellation, but "Vegas" was a completely wasted and unnecessary episode. They could've had a two- part battle with all of Earth's ships vs. a wraith armada, or something along those lines. Or, they could've kept with the "Vegas" storyline (which I absolutely hated) and applied for a two hour special for the series finale. I'm sure that Sci Fi (oops, "sy fy") could've given up some of its "Planet Raptor" or "Sharks in Venice" time for one of its most succesful series ever. Absolutely pitiful on Sci Fi's part.

Stargate SG-1
          could've been much better, but I didn't hate it that much. I knew there would be movies, so I realized that the final episode would not be "the end" and have to sum up the storyline. Actually, I think it would have been cool for them to (instead of killing of the Asgard) have a classic "go-through-the-gate-and-solve-a-problem episode, to finish with a "classic touch" I have always loved those sorts of episodes, and when a show starts falling away from those episodes in favor of cheesy story arcs *cough, stargate atlantis, cough* I know that the series will soon "jump the shark"

BSG
          I liked most of the episode, really, but the last 3-ish minutes? Just plain odd. It would have been nice to end with Adama on Earth (real Earth, this time) staring off into the countryside next to Roslin's grave. If they got rid of the last 3 minutes and added in a few decent explanations of who starbuck and Baltar were, it could have been much better. The whole Baltar and Number Six angels and the whole robot warning thing? W T F!!!!!!!!!?
          That is all.
          The Communist Party!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey3121 View Post
            "not fade away" was the best
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
              Not Fade Away? Really? That was a perfect way to end that series. Angel was always about the 'fight'. No happy endings for that crew.
              Originally posted by Spidey3121 View Post
              Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              "not fade away" was the best
              as a huge fan of Angel i do agree that the series finale is better than most you get in a sci fi show but it left a really unsatifiyng taste in my mouth especially the way things were rushed you just knew that this isnt really then end that there was more to come after this but i guess im over the cancellation of that show a little bit now such as shame that great sci fi shows get cancelled when there still going good or getting better.
              sigpic

Comment

Personally, I enjoyed BSG finale. I ain't a fan of BSG, but a 'once in awhile, casual viewer'. I thought it had a twist and was interesting in how they ended it. It felt like it had closure.

As for SG-1, I admit loosing the Asgard was a downer, but it was nice to see some of the interaction among the crew. Personally, I would have preferred for them to stick with the 'season 10 finale' they had in mind and leave it as a cliffhanger and have the first DVD movie pick off from that. Many people might disagree, but I wouldn't have minded that.

I enjoyed Voyager finale. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad.

I will agree that "These Are the Voyages..." is probably the worst finale. Everything they did with that was a downer. I ain't a big Star Trek fan, simply a casual failure, but it disappointed me compared to other finales. I still enjoyed the series though.

Geez...No wonder why I don't like critics...Almost everything I had ended with some optimism. Lol.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

here goes... my fav ends to Sci Fi TV series...

0) Firefly - Not really an ending, the film was essentially their ending...
                  1) DS9 - Really excellent ending to the best SCI FI series
                  2) BSG - I really like the ending, had finality and was unexpected
                  3) TNG - I would love to see a Q themed TNG movie.
                  3a) Quantum Leap - Good ending, remember liking it but cannot remember the details
                  4) SG1 - Unending was great
                  5) Farscape - The Peacekeeper wars ending was pretty cool
                  6) Voyager - A little disappointing, could have been more epic
                  7) Enterprise - Actually thought it was okay considering. Show could have been a lot better than it was if they had continued with the time war theme.
                  8) Atlantis - Disappointing
                  9) Futurama - Never really got an ending
                  10) XFiles - Didn't like it, though i never really got involved with Xfiles anyway
                  1000) Sliders - Really started good but ended terrible...

Have left out loads of SCIFI shows... some never really ended (E.g. Star Trek TOS) Others are not SCIfi shows so did not mention them. Others only lasted a season and/or were not good enough to mention. Firefly had a big enough effect on me to be included.

Not sure about Angel as i never watched it. Buffy was great ending but wasn't scifi (nor was Angel?).

Comment

Tripping the Rift never got an ending..
                    First Wave ending was good, but the series was stopped way too soon,,great show...

Sliders was great.. but the series could have had a more satisfying ending... (I still want it it come back..)
                    My Story:
                    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

I thought all the choices had their validity. Let's see scifi endings that sucked. Well, Voyager tops it, but I thought SG1 was sucky cuz well, NOTHING happened, except Teal'c getting a little grayer. Would be an okay stand-alone but the ending? Nah.

SGA was far too pat.

Comment

I'm not sure if it had to be a "Sci Fi channel" series but NBC's EARTH 2 had the worst ending of all time of any show in my opinion, one season with no conclusion. You never found out if they ever made it to their destination. I have the series on DVD, but it just ends so abruptly

but I also wasn't happy how SG1 ended also, way too rushed for a ten-year show.
                        Gator

You're not the usual delivery boy..

"I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"

Comment

Originally posted by amforster View Post
                          7) Enterprise - Actually thought it was okay considering. Show could have been a lot better than it was if they had continued with the time war theme.

Not sure about Angel as i never watched it. Buffy was great ending but wasn't scifi (nor was Angel?).
                          I thought the 'time war' was one of the reasons so many Enterprise fans got upset and stopped watching?

Also, yeah. Angel and Buffy are 'Supernatural Fantasy' shows. You're missing out if you haven't watched Angel. IMHO, it was the better show.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

First two that come to mind are

Veritas: The Quest & Roswell

Comment

I think the only reason Unending could be considered a crappy ending is because it isn't one, hence the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X