X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: SGU Time Era

Ok I just looked up the new series of Stargate Universe on Wiki and it says
    "the adventures of a team of explorers from present-day Earth",
    which sounds like they're implying that SG1 and Atlantis weren't set 'present-day'!
    As far as I was aware, both SG1 and Atlantis were 'present-day' they had come across the stargate in the 1940's in Egypt and in the mid 1990's They successfully activated it for the first time! (not including Ernest Littlefield's 1945 activation) Also all the technology: such as flat screen computers, laptops, tablets, weapons: such as the P90, Earth vehicles, (cars) etc would suggest 'present-day'!
    They just happened to acquire certain technologically advanced items early on: such as the Ancient Chair in Antarctica, F302's, (adapted from the Goa'uld Glider) F303's (Prometheus, Daedalus) with Hyperdrive capability (inspired from the Goa'uld Ha'tak Ships) and possibly the biggest find: Atlantis! Not to mention all the technology acquired from the Asgard!
    So either it's a mistake made on Wiki, or it's a totally new version of Stargate, like the recently re-invented 'James Bond' and 'Batman'!?
    Last edited by bobsenior; 05 April 2009, 03:19 AM.
    sigpic

i don't think it implies that the others aren't from present day at all. it's just showing the time period for this show.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      i don't think it implies that the others aren't from present day at all. it's just showing the time period for this show.
      Exactly. I don't see what the problem is. It's not saying that SG-1 or SGA aren't from the same timeframe, it's a simple overall plot presentation. It needs to say "present-day" to establish the timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
        Ok I just looked up the new series of Stargate Universe on Wiki and it says
        "the adventures of a team of explorers from present-day Earth",
        which sounds like they're implying that SG1 and Atlantis weren't set 'present-day'!
        As far as I was aware, both SG1 and Atlantis were 'present-day' they had come across the stargate in the 1940's in Egypt and in the mid 1990's They successfully activated it for the first time! (not including Ernest Littlefield's 1945 activation) Also all the technology: such as flat screen computers, laptops, tablets, weapons: such as the P90, Earth vehicles, (cars) etc would suggest 'present-day'!
        They just happened to acquire certain technologically advanced items early on: such as the Ancient Chair in Antarctica, F302's, (adapted from the Goa'uld Glider) F303's (Prometheus, Daedalus) with Hyperdrive capability (inspired from the Goa'uld Ha'tak Ships) and possibly the biggest find: Atlantis! Not to mention all the technology acquired from the Asgard!
        So either it's a mistake made on Wiki, or it's a totally new version of Stargate, like the recently re-invented 'James Bond' and 'Batman'!?
        It doesn't.

Comment

It doesn't imply that at all.

Comment

If it were set in the same present-time as SG1 and Atlantis, then episode one would begin at the SGC, but Wiki have described it as "a completely separate, third entity in the live-action Stargate franchise as opposed to Stargate Atlantis, which was created as a spin-off from the first series Stargate SG-1."
            (Sub-heading: Concept and Setting) Unless they un-covered yet another Gate on Earth!
            sigpic

Comment

It's set in the present day just like SG-1 and Atlantis.

Comment

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just suggesting that it's possibly going to be a total re-invention of Stargate, like 'James Bond' and 'Batman' or will they actually acknowledge the existance of the SGC and Atlantis?
                sigpic

Comment

The latter one.

Spoiler:
                  O'Neill, Jackson and Harriman, probably Woolsey are scheduled to appear in SG·U

Comment

Wouldn't that just make it another spin-off though? I've got nothing against another spin-off, to be honest I thought Atlantis was better than SG1, but like I said before: Wiki have described it as "a completely separate, third entity in the live-action Stargate franchise as opposed to Stargate Atlantis, which was created as a spin-off from the first series Stargate SG-1." ??
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
                      Wouldn't that just make it another spin-off though? I've got nothing against another spin-off, to be honest I thought Atlantis was better than SG1, but like I said before: Wiki have described it as "a completely separate, third entity in the live-action Stargate franchise as opposed to Stargate Atlantis, which was created as a spin-off from the first series Stargate SG-1." ??
                      Yes it is another spin-off i.e based on a pre-existing - the stargate, but unlike SGA (which had cross-over with SG1) the original idea with SGU was that it would stand alone, with the events of SG1 and SGA not effecting the events of SGU and vice versa.

Comment

"in many ways [...] a much more cerebral and mature addition to the franchise. While firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology, Stargate Universe definitely strikes out in an exciting new direction."

Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          "in many ways [...] a much more cerebral and mature addition to the franchise. While firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology, Stargate Universe definitely strikes out in an exciting new direction."

Joseph Mallozzi
                          This.

If it were set in the same present-time as SG1 and Atlantis, then episode one would begin at the SGC, but Wiki have described it as "a completely separate, third entity in the live-action Stargate franchise as opposed to Stargate Atlantis, which was created as a spin-off from the first series Stargate SG-1."
                          (Sub-heading: Concept and Setting) Unless they un-covered yet another Gate on Earth!
                          And in reference to having found another stargate:

Spoiler:
                          The show likely begins off-world at the Icarus base, as it's been said in several contexts that the base comes under attack and they flee. So it's unlikely they found another stargate, and even if they did it wouldn't be used on Earth as it would interfere with the SGC's gate activities.

I'm new, so I don't know if the above even needs spoilers
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, it is just "another spin off", set in the same Universe and time frame as SG1 and SGA.

"a completely separate, third entity in the live-action Stargate franchise as opposed to Stargate Atlantis, which was created as a spin-off from the first series Stargate SG-1." - What it means by this is it wouldn't be tied into SG1 and as SGA as much as SGA was tied into SG1. SGA was born from SG1, the 7th season was all about finding the Lost City, and there were seeds planted before that. When SGA started, there were several character crossovers in both shows, as well as occasional references to plot points in the other show. You really got the sense that they were "sister shows".

While Stargate Universe is in the same universe and will have some crossover
                            Spoiler:
                            Jack, Daniel and Walter are in it
                            , it will for the most part be completely on it's own.

And, the article doesn't imply SG1 and SGA aren't set in present day at all.
                            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

actually i think wat bobsenior is implying is that it may be a "wat if" event . i may be wrong mind but i think wat hes gettin at is that its not a case of not acknowledging the sgc or sga but simply that these events did not occur . and that this is an alternate universe or something lyk that . well correct me if im wrong bobsenior . oh and by the way . if that is wat your implying then i think your wrong they've already stated there will be cross overs such as daniel in the opening episode as well as jack and other sgc personal (walter )throughout the following episodes . hope ive been helpfull :L

Comment

Working...
                              X