Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Terminators and Skynet ala advanced CPU. Is this ethical?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Terminators and Skynet ala advanced CPU. Is this ethical?

Is this ethical

http://seedmagazine.com/content/arti..._living_robot/

I'm all for science and this kind of thing fascinates me. From my own POV I see no ethical problems. Yet.
    Last edited by Coco Pops; 04 April 2009, 11:18 PM.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Thats kinda creepy, amazing though, no doubt about that. Reminds me of a Cyberman, living brain connected to a robotic body.
    sigpic

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen.

Cyborgs are among us.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
        Thats kinda creepy, amazing though, no doubt about that. Reminds me of a Cyberman, living brain connected to a robotic body.

But this isn't a case of life imitating art, they're only using a few cells to make a snall neural network.

I have a roboquad and that is kinda creepy how it can work its way out of a room.. It never does the same thing twice and I know everything is pre programmed inside it but to watch it react to its surroundings is fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Ladies and gentlemen.

Cyborgs are among us.
          Cue Number Six Theme.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            Is this ethical

http://seedmagazine.com/content/arti..._living_robot/

I'm all for science and this kind of thing fascinates me. From my own POV I see no ethical problems. Yet.
            I can't decide whether that's really f-ing cool, or really f-ing creepy.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Also, not forgetting that the worlds first aware AI has been developed recently. Clicky. It formed a hypothesis outside of the confines of programming.

Judgment Day will soon be upon us.

Comment

When you combine this with the fact that robots are being increasingly used in the battlefield, UAVs are becoming semi-autonomous, and the next gen of combat robots will actually be bipeds (I kid you not - this is fact)... well... Terminator doesn't seem so unreal...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                  Also, not forgetting that the worlds first aware AI has been developed recently. Clicky. It formed a hypothesis outside of the confines of programming.

Judgment Day will soon be upon us.

That website wouldn't let me read the article......

BTW I don't think the hysteria scenarios will happen. Combat robots won't suddenly go nuts and kill troops that are commanding them and UAV's suddenly won't have a change of heart..... It won't happen.

Comment

Is not the MOD Project Taranis said to be a fully automated UAV for long range bomber missions, when I say long range rumored to be in excess of 12,000miles. The only human input is said to be authorisation to launch weapons, I am sure even that is only a safe guard.

Then we got the robot making independent scientific discoveries.

As to robotic rat, it an interesting research in how to combine biological cell to work with artificial machines. Which could lead to developments in a wide variety of areas.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      Is not the MOD Project Taranis said to be a fully automated UAV for long range bomber missions, when I say long range rumored to be in excess of 12,000miles. The only human input is said to be authorisation to launch weapons, I am sure even that is only a safe guard.

Then we got the robot making independent scientific discoveries.

As to robotic rat, it an interesting research in how to combine biological cell to work with artificial machines. Which could lead to developments in a wide variety of areas.

Well there's no way the UAV could launch itself.... Unless someone tampered with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I can't decide whether that's really f-ing cool, or really f-ing creepy.
                        For me, it is a bit of both. I personally feel that we as humans need to be very careful with how we pursue things now. All of this could eventually lead down a very precarious road. And we won't be able to say we weren't warned.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          For me, it is a bit of both. I personally feel that we as humans need to be very careful with how we pursue things now. All of this could eventually lead down a very precarious road. And we won't be able to say we weren't warned.

How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            How so?
                            Where we go with robotics. Are we going to continue making them smarter and smarter? Look more and more like us? Actually create A.I.? That kind of stuff.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                              Where we go with robotics. Are we going to continue making them smarter and smarter? Look more and more like us? Actually create A.I.? That kind of stuff.

I don't know. I'd like to think that people doing this would be acting responsibly and safeguards would be in place to stop anything bad from occuring. I'd think it very unlikely this would be the birth of hostile robots..

As for looking human the onlyh people interested in doing that seem to be the Japanese.. They have lots of bipedal robots in evelopment over there.

Asimo is I think the most famous of the Japanese robots.

Comment

Working...
                              X