This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did they ever found out the leak?

so did they ever find out who leaked the first movie??
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

I don't so and they will probably never find out
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

They sent out hundreds of screeners to news outlets and critics alike. Even if they had coded every single one which would have been costly and taken forever,an adept pirate would just edit it out before posting it online. Does anyone have a better suggestion for piracy prevention cuz there dosent really seem to be one.

From wut i hear leaks increase sales, like free advertisements thanks to netnerdz.

Comment

wait, what happened?

Comment

I took a leak...
          Kidding.
          Someone be more specific?

by commander of the uss capricorn

Comment

Actually, I think it's the second one that was leaked fron screeners. The first one was leaked by someone at a CGI company that they contract work to. That's why it only had 'placeholders' of some special effects, and early versions of others. I'm betting they found that person, and they were fired. If they didn't, I'm sure they fired the company.

Comment

I'm glad someone brought this up. I think the worst leak was Continuum, not AoT, because COntinuum was more or less finished, IIRC. This week the new X-Men movie was leaked and the studio seems to be getting pretty aggressive about finding out who did it and who downloaded it, because that's big, big money. With a movie like that, which already has a lot of press, I don't see how a leak can increase sales.

The economy isn't good right now. I really do think that this time around, a leak could be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander of the USS Capricorn View Post
                I took a leak...
                Kidding.
                Someone be more specific?
                yeah what are you talking about?
                check my story's:
                Battlestar group 16
                and Under Siege
                and respond at:
                Battlestar group 16 (For BSG 16 and Under siege)
                my newest story:
                TFS Ticonderoga
                and respond at:
                TFS Ticonderoga

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad someone brought this up. I think the worst leak was Continuum, not AoT, because COntinuum was more or less finished, IIRC. This week the new X-Men movie was leaked and the studio seems to be getting pretty aggressive about finding out who did it and who downloaded it, because that's big, big money. With a movie like that, which already has a lot of press, I don't see how a leak can increase sales.

The economy isn't good right now. I really do think that this time around, a leak could be a bad thing.
                  Agreed. That kind of leak is potentially damaging to people's livelihoods and careers, and shows tremendous disrespect for the hard work of hundreds of people.

Comment

Originally posted by boeli View Post
                    yeah what are you talking about?
                    AoT was leaked without the CGI before its release.
                    Continuum was leaked when it was finished, a few weeks before its release. Both were easily available as bittorrents all over the internet. So not only could you get it for free, it was terrible in terms of spoiling the surprise.

I didn't know they could cut out the identifying codes for each copy. That's too bad.

Comment

Maybe they should have a subtitle at the bottom of every frame signifying who they sent that specific copy to, for example "GateWorld's Copy" or something. (Just an example, I don't think Darren and David are responsible for the leaks)
                      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

From what I have read in the aftermath of the Xmen leak, it is amazing it doesn't happen more often. Apparently they have really tight security at initial press screenings and that sort of thing, but they throw around completed DVDs at the CGI houses like they are paperweights. You would think if you had $150m invested in something that you would make sure that any full copy of the product was protected pretty well......obviously not.
                        sigpic

Comment

Our screenings are complete with metal detectors and security and we're totally aggressive when we have a leak of any kind. It's a really big headache when it happens. For those of us that have to deal with it! LOL! Studios have entire legal and anti-piracy departments that investigate this sort of thing. If its in the studio's best interests, they'll let it out that the culprit was caught, otherwise, no one ever knows.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

They are better ways of identifying copies than sub titles. Which can be easily blurred out in like ten seconds. They can ink marks to cover the entire screen but are invisible to the naked eye why viewing and they can put in sound markers, which you cannot hear normally unless you use certain filters. I be shock if they did not have both in place as they have available for years.

The continuum one was most likely an official off the record leaked which was done for promotional purposes. The AOT one was almost certainly unofficial leaked and the company and the employee of the company will probably never get any work from stargate again. I doubt the AOT was even shown outside of the studio or cgi company.

Comment

To my knowledge Stargate was never leaked before its premiere on October 28, 1994.
                              "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Working...
                              X