X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The possible upcoming changes to the fun and games folder discussion thread

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    The suggestion of making the Fun & Games folder no longer apply to post count has been made.

I'm seriously considering it, though at this point I'm afraid it would wreak havoc on post counts for a lot of people who are used to having thousands, and would suddenly find that they have a couple hundred.
    i thought the user in this folder should be able to speak on the possible changes that may be taking place in this folder.

i personally support it and yes i will suffer a great loss to my post count if this action takes place but i do feel things have gotten out of hand in this folder.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

I personally do not understand why this is even an issue.

It really should be no one else's concern how people get their post counts.

People come to Gateworld for lots of different reasons, some to discuss, some to play, some to just connect and get information.

I would love to see discussion on why people consider this a big issue, big enough for Darren to consider taking post counts away.
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I don't know how things have "gotten out of hand" though I'm unsure what specific things you're talking about. I post here, I have fun, but I don't spam or anything.

I'll probably lose around 1000 posts if posts were no longer counted in this folder. I don't necessarily support it but I'm not against it either. So I'm middle-of-the-road. But for me, personally, I doubt I would fight it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post

People come to Gateworld for lots of different reasons, some to discuss, some to play, some to just connect and get information.

I would love to see discussion on why people consider this a big issue, big enough for Darren to consider taking post counts away.
        I totally agree. As long as people play by the rules and don't spam, I don't think the post counting should be taken away.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          i thought the user in this folder should be able to speak on the possible changes that may be taking place in this folder.

i personally support it and yes i will suffer a great loss to my post count if this action takes place but i do feel things have gotten out of hand in this folder.
          I would be interested to hear why you think things have gotten out of hand, PA.

In my opinion, the games folder is every bit as Stargate based as the thunk threads or episode discussions. This is a place where people who enjoy games can indulge in their Stargate favorites in a different way.

In addition, I feel that the games folder fills a need in another way. I usually play games here at night (my time) when there aren't a lot of people on my other favorite threads. Are my posts here at night any less valuable than the ones on the thunk and discussion threads during the day? I don't think so, but I believe moving the entire folder to the off-topic section sends that message.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
            I don't know how things have "gotten out of hand" though I'm unsure what specific things you're talking about. I post here, I have fun, but I don't spam or anything.

I'll probably lose around 1000 posts if posts were no longer counted in this folder. I don't necessarily support it but I'm not against it either. So I'm middle-of-the-road. But for me, personally, I doubt I would fight it.
            I don't know if things have necessarily gotten out of hand.

It might be that when some games are done, like all the theads where we are voting on Character's favorite episodes, when the games are done, they shouldn't be restarted again like all of those were, otherwise, I don't see where there has been any abuse and even then those I wouldn't consider abuse as it is more realistic to start the games when the season was over to get a true picture of the order of fan's favorite episodes of each character.

I have fun with some of the games because they make me laugh, like the limeracks and some of the other fun ones. And there there are some games that are just plain fun to support your favorite character.

It doesn't bother me if some people post on tons of different games. It's their perogative and the games are all Stargate related.

Post counts are not a competition and it is nice to see how many times you have posted on the forum, though if you are in off-topic you just have to amuse yourself with how many posts you might have in there.
            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Darren has made no decision to date about moving this section to Off-Topic.

The post quoted by PA was made in response on the Ask the Mods thread to a couple of newish members racking up a big post count in just a matter of weeks in the game threads,then asking why they couldn't upload custom avatars yet.
              Then the suggestion to move the section was made. See the ATM thread for details.

The only games that have ever been moved into OT are the ones that are NOT SG related.

Games for other shows were taken to the correct folders.

Ditto re threads that were better suited to SG Fandom,the RPGs etc.

No problem discussing all this.If I find out more,I'll let you guys know asap !

Bagpuss.
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                This is about the multiple Chevron counting thread that now exist right? I agree that that has gotten out of hand and really there should only be one but if this folder is changed so that posts made here don't count, past, present and future then that will effect everyone that have used the 'Fun and Games' folder.

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post

I agree, how people spend their time on GateWorld shouldn't be such an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
                  I totally agree. As long as people play by the rules and don't spam, I don't think the post counting should be taken away.
                  Seconded
                  People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Stickied this thread,so nobody misses it.

The Chevron threads were recently reviewed, and the decision at that time was to keep them all open.

However ,discuss away.

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
                      its such a non issue

Comment

Honestly I don't see a problem with this folder and the post counts. Maybe the chevrons threads are getting a bit too much, but no one is forcing anyone to go into all of them... or any of them for that matter. I've played here for almost a year, and only joined some of those threads few weeks ago. Besides, about 98% of the games have a 1 post per day rule, so they can't be abused.
                        Again, I see no issue about this.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                          Stickied this thread,so nobody misses it.
                          Thanks Baggie.

The Chevron threads were recently reviewed, and the decision at that time was to keep them all open.

However ,discuss away.
                          I mentioned the Chevron counting threads because I have a feeling this might be connected to them, though I did see that they have been reviewed before and a decision made about the threads. Is there a reason why Darren is considering the change or it was mentioned to him? I'm just wondering if there is another way to deal with the issue rather than change the entire folder.

Comment

I see no issue, either. Like jasminaGO said, several of the games have a 1 post per day rule. And those that don't make you think so you aren't repeating something, like the 'would you rather' thread.

Also, consider this. All the minor stargate forums out there are home to tons of Stargate fans because most of them are scared to come to GateWorld. Once you get into the main area, people can get kinda rude and obnoxious. Posting in the Games folder is a great place for those people to slowly sink into the GateWorld community. Taking away post count will be a bit redundant there, because they'll still feel like a total newbie when they go to the other threads because that's what their rank will be.
                            ~Bushy~

"Look, you don't know me. This is when I'm at my best. This is when I shine: impossible deadlines."
                            Dr. Meredith Rodney McKay
                            -
                            "That doesn’t matter! You’re hostages! We’re your…we’re your captors! We’re heavily armed! There’s rules! There’s a whole school of etiquette to this!"
                            Dr. Daniel Jackson
                            -
                            "My name is Dean Winchester. I'm an Aquarius. I enjoy sunsets, long walks on the beach, and frisky women."
                            Dean Winchester

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
                              Thanks Baggie.
                              No problem.

Originally posted by FenrirFoxz
                              I mentioned the Chevron counting threads because I have a feeling this might be connected to them, though I did see that they have been reviewed before and a decision made about the threads. Is there a reason why Darren is considering the change or it was mentioned to him? I'm just wondering if there is another way to deal with the issue rather than change the entire folder.
                              Darren's post was from the Ask The Mods thread as I explained.It was suggested to him.

I'm not going to "speak for" Darren,as that's his prerogative,but Sky has sent him a message re this thread and the concerns raised..

Comment

Working...
                              X