PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Four Reboot: News/Discussion/Spoilers

Madwelshboy
March 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Seems that the rumor mill is chatting it up that Fox is planning a complete reboot of the successful but not fan appreciated Fantastic Four franchise.
IESB is reporting that they've heard word around town about a Fantastic Four reboot.

With Daredevil already getting the once over and Planet of the Apes also in the running for a new start with a prequel in the works Fantastic Four is joining the reboot gang.

The two films previously released never really caught on with the fans and the studio is reportedly looking to completely retool, recast and recrew the franchise. This means no Tim Story, no Iaon, no Julian (thank the maker, he never sat well with me as Dr. Doom), no Chris, no Chiklis and no Jessica.

The first Fantastic Four in 2005 pulled in over $330 million worldwide and the second film, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, opened in 2007 with a total box office take of $290 million. Both made money and were commercial successes but the reviews were lackluster and the fan reaction was mediocre.

The franchise is looking to be "less bubble gum" this time round following the Iron Man template, which was a complete success in reviews and box office take but a bit darker when it came to its superhero. Iron Man was in no way as dark as The Dark Knight but was funny, action-y as well as a bit on the serious side.

Now who do you want as Mr. Fantastic this time out? Which director would be the best choice to bring this story to the screen once again?"

I for one do not think that the Fantastic Four movies were as bad as say Superman Returns. If fox truely wants to make this once successful franchise a blockbuster hit then they should just change a couple things about the next installment. For instance please change who plays Dr. Doom!! Please hire a director that will portray the movie as it should be portrayed, as in showing the hero's/villins as they were in the comics or even close would be a good first step. The fan boy hype of FF2 was being able to see Silver Surfer in the movie and then the realization that if Silver Surfer was in the movie we would also get to see Galactus. But what we got to see was a cloud. I see clouds every day were I live. Not every movie can be Iron Man, the studio needs to leeve the Iron Man franchise to itself and create one that successfully represents The Fantastic Four.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=6556

X-3-0-2
March 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM
hopefully not

First Fan four was very meh and Silver Surfer sucked

Fox should give it to somebody who can do hits like WB or Paramount

March 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
if fox let someone take it it will probably go to paramount after the success of iron man, but they'll probably just hold onto it, and emulate what the other studios are doing with comic book franchises.

knowles2
March 26th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I actually enjoyed the movies, and well there Jessica in them so that not going to change.:cameron:

Personally there no need to reboot the franchise, just bring a descent director and respect the comics, no need to start over.

March 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I actually enjoyed the movies, and well there Jessica in them so that not going to change.:cameron:

Personally there no need to reboot the franchise, just bring a descent director and respect the comics, no need to start over.

that's similar with what they did with The Incredible Hulk, going for a different theme/style, without disregarding Hulk, i think that would work well.

i think the cast have the characters of the 4 down quite well imho, i think evans and chiklis are perfect for their roles. it would be a shame to lose them, but i say if you are going to recast, recast everyone or noone.

the fifth man
March 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I liked the first one, but not the Silver Surfer one very much. A reboot though? I just don't know.

DigiFluid
March 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Why not? It certainly couldn't be any worse than F4 of RotSS.

Jessica Alba, while an absolute goddess, is about as believable as a scientist as Denise Richards was as a nuclear physicist.

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dark Knight were incredible comic movies; just top-notch. I hope to see more in their vein.

knowles2
March 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Why not? It certainly couldn't be any worse than F4 of RotSS.

Jessica Alba, while an absolute goddess, is about as believable as a scientist as Denise Richards was as a nuclear physicist.

But the comic character drawing never made her look like a scientist anyway, it seem like they just carried it over to the movie.

nx01a
March 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Jessica Alba, while an absolute goddess, is about as believable as a scientist as Denise Richards was as a nuclear physicist.I've been making that same comparison for years. She's pretty, but she comes off dumb as a brick. Also, there really wasn't much in the script for her to act 'smart'. knowles2, the comic artist may have made her look hot but the writer also made her talk and act smart.
The FF movies had the family feel of the book, but they were far too superficial and sickly sweet. And don't get me started on how Alicia Masters suddenly became a black woman and had nothing whatsoever to do with the Silver Surfer finding his humanity...

Replicator Todd
March 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think a reboot is absolutely nessecary, the first FF4 movie wasn't very good, but I liked Rise of the Silver Surfer. They could make a sequel with a new cast though, if they rebot it then its fine, as long as it gets more fan appreciation.

knowles2
March 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I've been making that same comparison for years. She's pretty, but she comes off dumb as a brick. Also, there really wasn't much in the script for her to act 'smart'. knowles2, the comic artist may have made her look hot but the writer also made her talk and act smart.
The FF movies had the family feel of the book, but they were far too superficial and sickly sweet. And don't get me started on how Alicia Masters suddenly became a black woman and had nothing whatsoever to do with the Silver Surfer finding his humanity...

That more the writers and may be director more than the actress fault.

quade_1
March 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I heard that they had contracts with the studio and actors for a 3rd movie. Then they weren't sure if they were going to let it die or try again.

the fifth man
March 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a third film with the same cast. Just have a more serious tone with this one.

Sp!der
March 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
quit doing reboots, remakes, etc. be creative hollywood! reboot after such a short time? come on guys, someone out there in hollywood has to be creative!!!!!!!!!
well.. better watch tv shows like fringe, bsg, stargate or chuck. you can learn from those guys :mckay:

pbellosom
March 30th, 2009, 03:04 AM
quit doing reboots, remakes, etc. be creative hollywood! reboot after such a short time? come on guys, someone out there in hollywood has to be creative!!!!!!!!!
well.. better watch tv shows like fringe, bsg, stargate or chuck. you can learn from those guys :mckay:

Ironically BSG is also a reboot

nx01a
March 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM
That more the writers and may be director more than the actress fault.She was a decent stripper in 'Sin City', her Sue Storm in the FF movies was blah at best and I couldn't watch the last half of 'Into the Blue'.
I've never been able to take Jessica Alba seriously as an actress. She's a pretty face and a hot bod who says lines. If I've missed her acting opus, please let me know what it is, but I haven't seen much to make me think she could to justice to a 'real' script and a 'real' character. And yes, I did watch a few episodes of 'Dark Angel'.

DigiFluid
March 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
She was a decent stripper in 'Sin City', her Sue Storm in the FF movies was blah at best and I couldn't watch the last half of 'Into the Blue'.
I've never been able to take Jessica Alba seriously as an actress. She's a pretty face and a hot bod who says lines. If I've missed her acting opus, please let me know what it is, but I haven't seen much to make me think she could to justice to a 'real' script and a 'real' character. And yes, I did watch a few episodes of 'Dark Angel'.

lol

Perfect.

the fifth man
March 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I liked her in "Idle Hands".

Pharaoh Atem
March 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
why bother making movies or series anymore when it's just going to be rebooted all the time

Sp!der
March 31st, 2009, 03:09 AM

touché. ;) ..youre right. did not thought of that. damn. but its still better than most of the hollywood remakes...

Madwelshboy
April 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Diesel wants to be in 'Fantastic Four'

Vin Diesel has revealed that he would like to play a villain in the Fantastic Four.

Diesel, who is returning to the Fast And Furious franchise this weekend, said that he wants to play a bad guy in two of the upcoming Fantastic Four films, WENN reports.

"I would be more apt to play a villain," he told MTV News. "I'd like to play the protagonist of a story that is also like a Marvel villain, like Doctor Doom or something."

The action star also said that he is "not interested in taking a superhero role", claiming that he "makes his own superhero characters instead".

20th Century Fox recently announced plans to reboot the Fantastic Four films

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a151754/diesel-wants-to-be-in-fantastic-four.html

Madwelshboy
June 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Fantastic Four Reboot Confirmed For 2011

As Jim Hill Media reports, according to information garnered at the Licensing International Expo 2009, 20th Century Fox's reboot of The Fantastic Four will be reaching theaters in the summer of 2011.

Of The Fantastic Four, the site notes, "it will reportedly feature an all-new cast as well as a far darker take on this classic Marvel comic."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/mediageek/news/?a=7985

Descent
June 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Haha, that was quick. Jeez. This is just embarrassing...

I loved The Dark Knight but it's sad to see everyone going "Hey! Let's try to do that too!" now... bah.

Angela V
June 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Diesel wants to be in 'Fantastic Four'

Vin Diesel has revealed that he would like to play a villain in the Fantastic Four.

"I'd like to play the protagonist of a story that is also like a Marvel villain, like Doctor Doom or something."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a151754/diesel-wants-to-be-in-fantastic-four.html

EEK! I'm still recovering from the first bad actor they picked for Doctor Doom. I don't mind Diesel. He's pretty good in some of his action flicks. But it'll take a different kind of actor to get Doctor Doom RIGHT.

Though what's with all the remakes of recent super hero movies? This is getting silly. If you don't get someone right, move onto someone else. There's lots out there to pick from.

the fifth man
June 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Fantastic Four Reboot Confirmed For 2011

As Jim Hill Media reports, according to information garnered at the Licensing International Expo 2009, 20th Century Fox's reboot of The Fantastic Four will be reaching theaters in the summer of 2011.

Of The Fantastic Four, the site notes, "it will reportedly feature an all-new cast as well as a far darker take on this classic Marvel comic."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/mediageek/news/?a=7985

Of course they will be making it darker.

nx01a
June 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
The FF have never really been dark. The Thing's struggles with humanity can be dark, but they usually end with him reaffirming the goodness in us.
The craze is to do a dark movie, like The Dark Knight, but a light movie can be just as good as long as it's well written and acted. AND the special effects are spectacular.

Descent
June 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I thought the first FF movie was too lighthearted and didn't take itself seriously enough (except for maybe that one scene with The Thing and his wife). The movie was pretty bad anyways and I never saw the Rise of the Silver Surfer sequel (which looked kinda dark, was it?).

But yeah, this whole "we need to emulate what the Dark Knight did" stuff is just stupid. They're doing that with the Superman reboot, as well. Can't. Wait. :rolleyes:

DigiFluid
June 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
The FF have never really been dark. The Thing's struggles with humanity can be dark, but they usually end with him reaffirming the goodness in us.
The craze is to do a dark movie, like The Dark Knight, but a light movie can be just as good as long as it's well written and acted. AND the special effects are spectacular.

I think Iron Man is a perfect example of this. Great effects, good story, solid acting, tons of humour, and a ton of action.

Batman is a different sort of franchise because the source material is dark in nature. Tony Stark is a rich kid who designed his technology in order to survive, and expanded on it in order to bring some justice to the world. Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered; and his Batman persona is a vigilante who relies on fear, intimidation, and backalley violence in order to exorcise Wayne's demons--rather than just seeking justice.

nx01a
June 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Ironguy 2 will definitely be darker. One of the most intresting things about Tony Stark is the toll that being in the suit and being a hero takes on him: alcoholism. Like Galactus is the definitive FF story, Tony vs the bottle [and lots of armoured villains] is the definitive Iron Man story.
The FF had issues in the comics, sure, just like Spider-Man, but they never went down the really disturbing lines like Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin or the younger Osborne/drugs. Honestly, it serves the studio right for not making the movies right the first time around. Superman Returns falls into the same category: stuff that should have been better thought out before it ever got to the screen. Maybe run by a few fans before they started filming, too...:P

Descent
June 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Honestly, it serves the studio right for not making the movies right the first time around. Superman Returns falls into the same category: stuff that should have been better thought out before it ever got to the screen. Maybe run by a few fans before they started filming, too...:P

That movie and the concept behind it was just absurd. It's a "loose" sequel to the first two Superman films but ignores III and IV. The common moviegoer isn't going to know these things.

And if it is a sequel to those films, why is Luther so radically different in Returns when compared to I and II? He's just so angry when compared to Hackman's calm and cool portrayal of the character.

Whatever, that movie was terrible as well and I can't blame them for wanting to reboot after that one. :P

But unlike the FF, I can actually see Superman going into darker territory.

nx01a
June 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Death of Superman! It's the only story left to tell of any worth re: Superman, IMHO.

What's darker than Galactus trying to eat the planet, and contemplating the nature of humanity with the Silver Surfer? Psycho Man using his hate/fear/whatever weapon on them? Maybe Susan losing her first child despite Reed's best efforts? Sorry, drawing a blank. Stll, if the studio wants to redo it, hopefully they'll avoid making it too fluffy... and hiring bad actresses that you simply can't take seriously to portray strong, intelligent female scientists [with kids].

Descent
June 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
What's darker than Galactus trying to eat the planet, and contemplating the nature of humanity with the Silver Surfer? Psycho Man using his hate/fear/whatever weapon on them? Maybe Susan losing her first child despite Reed's best efforts? Sorry, drawing a blank. Stll, if the studio wants to redo it, hopefully they'll avoid making it too fluffy... and hiring bad actresses that you simply can't take seriously to portray strong, intelligent female scientists [with kids].

Ugh. I wasn't saying that FF hasn't done dark stuff before in the comics... you would know better than me anyways. I'm saying that after these last two cheesy/lighthearted/terrible FF films, it's hard for me to imagine them doing dark stuff with those characters on film. They don't exactly lend themselves to dark material as well as Batman or Iron Man do.

Superman Returns, despite how crappy I thought it was, had it's 'dark' moments (the scenes with Superman and Lex on his little kryptonite island).

And yeah, the Death of Superman. That's mainly what I was talking about. Doomsday. That stuff. :)

nx01a
June 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
That wasn't directed at you; just speaking generally. ;)

Descent
June 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
That wasn't directed at you; just speaking generally. ;)

Well good, cause I'm not a huge comic book guy, so if I sound totally wrong when it comes to talking about that stuff.... you know why. :P :o

So, yeah. FF reboot. Whoo. Don't put Vin Diesel in it though. Yikes. :eek:

the fifth man
June 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I would just like the Fantastic Four to be successful. I really hope they get it right this time.

Killdeer
June 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Who would you all cast to play the new Four?

nx01a
June 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
NOT Sin Gasoline as the Thing or Doom!

SBN
June 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hollywood just needs to sink into the ocean once and for all, what a complete and utterly useless film making capital they have become. Enough with all these #*@&! reboots and re-images. I was just going through SciFi's Wire, and 90% of the movie news is ALL reboots and re-images. Oh, and the other 9% seems to be more comic to movies, except they are now digging into the bottom of the barrel for some comic guy.

Does a "darker" FF really change anything? It is still after all a lame story to begin with, much like most comic books. Why is it we seem to only get just one to two decent Science Fiction movies per decade?

DigiFluid
June 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Uh....comics have produced some of the better movies of the last decade: Spider-Man, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, X-Men, just off the top of my head.

Science fiction has produced a decent number of good movies in the last decade as well. Wikipedia is your friend: AI (minus the last 10-15 minutes), Children of Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Idiocracy, Matrix Reloaded, Minority Report, Serenity, Star Trek, Timecrimes, Titan AE, Transformers, and Wall-E.

the fifth man
June 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Uh....comics have produced some of the better movies of the last decade: Spider-Man, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, X-Men, just off the top of my head.

Science fiction has produced a decent number of good movies in the last decade as well. Wikipedia is your friend: AI (minus the last 10-15 minutes), Children of Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Idiocracy, Matrix Reloaded, Minority Report, Serenity, Star Trek, Timecrimes, Titan AE, Transformers, and Wall-E.

I definitely can't argue with those examples.:)

LtColCarter
June 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM

And I hated it..."As The Spaceship Turns," "All My Cylons, and I think you get the idea.

But I am getting tired of this Reboot crap.

Madwelshboy
September 1st, 2009, 03:21 AM
Fox sets 'Fantastic' reboot

While Disney lays down a $4 billion bet on the future of Marvel's superheroes, 20th Century Fox has already begun overhauling one of its big Marvel franchises, "Fantastic Four," to take the property beyond the two films already made.
Akiva Goldsman has been hired to oversee the reboot as producer. Michael Green, the co-exec producer of TV's "Heroes" who co-wrote "Green Lantern," will write the script for the new "Fantastic Four."

Fox wouldn't comment on its plans, but the moves are evidence that Marvel franchises do have enduring lifespans.

Though Marvel Entertainment owns and finances properties like "Iron Man" and "Thor," Fox controls "Fantastic Four" in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Though the related Silver Surfer character soared in the "Fantastic Four" sequel, that iconic personality has remained a priority project for his own film at the studio.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007959.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Madwelshboy
September 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evans: 'I'm up for edgier Fantastic Four'

Chris Evans has admitted that he is in favour of the reboot of the Fantastic Four films.

Studio 20th Century Fox announced earlier this month that it planned to overhaul the superhero franchise, while it was not clear if the stars of the first two movies would be involved in the update.

The 28-year-old, who played Johnny Storm in the Marvel Comic adaptations, said that he would like to see the venture take on a darker edge akin to what director Christopher Nolan did with The Dark Knight.

He told Collider: "I think there's room to readjust the tone in Fantastic Four as it was for Batman. If they can go make a good, dark, edgy Fantastic Four right on."

The actor added that he would be interested in reprising Storm, especially if Nolan was brought on to helm the production.

He said: "So if Fantastic Four got rebooted and Christopher Nolan was going to direct it and said, 'Do you want to play Johnny Storm again?' I'd be in those blue f**king tights."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a177552/evans-im-up-for-edgier-fantastic-four.html

the fifth man
September 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I would definitely like to see him back as Johnny Storm. I thought he did a great job in the first two films.

SBN
September 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM
And I hated it..."As The Spaceship Turns," "All My Cylons, and I think you get the idea.

But I am getting tired of this Reboot crap.

Your not actually going to suggest that Hollywood could actually try to do something original for once?

If they waited 10-15 years I would still say there is no point to this, but to be so greedy as to wait only 4 years for a reboot?

kirmit
September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I would definitely like to see him back as Johnny Storm. I thought he did a great job in the first two films.

Yeah, think he was the only one who suited his role.

Madwelshboy
September 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Fantastic Four Reboot
Release Date: TBD
Development Status: The first salvo to come in the wake of Disney-Marvel came from 20th Century Fox, as the studio confirmed rumors from earlier this year that Marvel's First Family will get exposed to hopefully beneficial reboot rays. Who will spearhead the project? It appears Oscar-winning scribe and Fringe writer and executive producer Akiva Goldsman. You might remember him from such nipplefests as Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Variety reports that Fox has also set Heroes and Green Lantern scribe Michael Green to pen the screenplay. The trade adds that since the reboot deals are just getting under way, it's too early to tell if any cast members from the first two films - Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Julian McMahon - will reprise their respective roles for the reboot. This contradicts reports from last March that claimed Fox wanted to completely retool and recast the franchise and replace director Tim Story. Look - if what came before was working it wouldn't be getting the fix. We spy a baby-with-the-bath-water situation here, and hope a few of our FF casting choices get to suit up.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=10199

Madwelshboy
March 7th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Jessica Alba Wont Be Back For A Third Fantastic Four Movie!

The actress discusses her feelings about playing Susan Storm but reveals that she knows nothing about returning for the next FF movie...

"I don't know anything about it," Alba said of the planned Fantastic Four reboot while talking to MTV's Splash Page.

The actress went on to say that she is pleased with her two installments to the series even if Fox decide to start all over with the next movie, "Our 'Fantastic Four' made a lot of money and kids loved it. And little boys and little girls look up to a female as a superhero. To be one of the first — if not the first — in this generation to do that, I was pretty honored."

"So, I'm happy that's out there," she said.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=15406

SaberBlade
March 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Guess we can forget the idea of rebooting with the original cast. I can't say I am fond of the original two movies, but replacing the cast is just one more sign to me they'll just dumb it down and stick in lots of action. Makes me wonder if they'll cast a white, blonde haired Susan Storm this time.

nx01a
March 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Dumb it down? How much more could they dumb it down? Jessica frickin' Alba was Susan Storm! And, as far as I know, she's white and has [for now] blond hair.

If anything, they should try and make the next movie more intelligent: use some of the trippy sci-fi concepts from Kirby and Lee like the Negative Zone and its cool inhabitants [Annihilus, Blastarr, etc.].

SaberBlade
March 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Well first they'll do is get rid of Reed and his technical talk, can't be doing that. Any time he talks about building something where they can't avoid technical talk, there will always be a "dumbass translation", like Reed will say something and another character will comment "oh, just like boiling an egg from the inside". They should actually make Reed less of a nerd, mainly because who could be married to anyone looking like Jessica Alba and want to spend time working on some equation.

Then the the rest of the movie will be 90 minutes of nothing but action, and maybe 10 minutes to stare at the new Susan's boobs in a really tight outfit or just have her naked like Alba in the second movie (I think). In fact, they could probably just make a 2 hour long Susan Storm movie with just that and it would be a big success.

As for Alba, she's part Mexican on her fathers side. Alba playing the character was the first time I have ever seen Susan Storm done with any type of heritage other than being plain white. I remember Alba from Dark Angel (she was great in that) and I am pretty sure that she was "whitened" up in Fantastic Four.

X-3-0-2
March 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Alba May Not Be Involved

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00031035.html

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1111/1129601166_d27216a9f7_m.jpg

Madwelshboy
June 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
'Fantastic Four' reboot title leaked?

A title for 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four reboot has reportedly been leaked online.

According to Ain't It Cool, the studio's proposed comic book adaptation could be called Fantastic Four: Reborn.

Marvel's 'First Family' have previously appeared on the big screen on two occasions, most recently in 2007's Rise Of The Silver Surfer. The new film is expected to retell the origin story of the superhero team.

Fox has already registered the web domain 'fantasticfourreborn.com'.

A release window for the Fantastic Four reboot is yet to be determined.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a224451/fantastic-four-reboot-title-leaked.html

Replicator Todd
June 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I like "Reborn" it informs people its a reboot. :p

LtColCarter
June 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM
How 'bout some originial ideas instead of Hollywood rebooting everything...

Madwelshboy
August 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
The Thing Will Be Completely CGI In The Fantastic Four Reboot

According to one of Screenrant's sources, The Thing(previously played in a prosthetic suit by Michale Chiklis) will be completely CGI in the upcoming reboot. Noting the fans anger that The Thing was noticeably shorter than the rest of his team mates and didn't appear to be nearly strong enough..

It would seem that the suits in charge of 20th Century Fox have heard the fans’ complaints because I have it from a source inside the Fox SFX department working on the Fantastic Four Reboot (officially titled Fantastic Four Reborn) that The Thing will officially be 100% CG.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=20815

Replicator Todd
August 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The Thing Will Be Completely CGI In The Fantastic Four Reboot

According to one of Screenrant's sources, The Thing(previously played in a prosthetic suit by Michale Chiklis) will be completely CGI in the upcoming reboot. Noting the fans anger that The Thing was noticeably shorter than the rest of his team mates and didn't appear to be nearly strong enough..

It would seem that the suits in charge of 20th Century Fox have heard the fans’ complaints because I have it from a source inside the Fox SFX department working on the Fantastic Four Reboot (officially titled Fantastic Four Reborn) that The Thing will officially be 100% CG.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=20815

CGI? Oh great, I can understand the Hulk but The Thing in CG? I don't think it is a good idea.

DigiFluid
August 5th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I dunno, he is a rock-man.

Replicator Todd
August 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I dunno, he is a rock-man.

True, but I thought he looked fine in the previous F4 films.

jelgate
August 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not a big fan of making people completly CGI. Sure in superhero movies when stunts occur it makes sense but I don't like completle CGIs especially with those closeup. It tends to look bad.

DigiFluid
August 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
True, but I thought he looked fine in the previous F4 films.
I don't really remember, to be honest. I tried to watch the first F4 film about a week ago, but it was so bad I turned it off 20 minutes in.

I'm not a big fan of making people completly CGI. Sure in superhero movies when stunts occur it makes sense but I don't like completle CGIs especially with those closeup. It tends to look bad.
Yeah, this is very valid.

myhelix
August 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
The movies are good they way they are. With all the reboots and stuff,
It´s getting old.:jack_new_anime25:

Hollywood try´s to recycle everything, good Idea or not. The only movies ever get made these days are reboots, comic book films, unrealistic and way over the top action flicks and second world war films (who usual get an Oscar) :zelenka26:

nx01a
August 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I think that the blockbusters obviously get more attention and marketing than the quiet dramas, but the blockbusters are hardly the only movies being made now. ;)

Madwelshboy
August 21st, 2010, 11:56 PM
Adrien Brody & Jonathan Rhys Meyers Considered For Mr. Fantastic in F4 Reboot?

While Twentieth Century Fox is jump-starting production on Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class prequel in a few short weeks, the studio is currently searching for actors to fill the roles of their next Marvel adaption, the reboot of the Fantastic Four franchise. And now according to Screenrant:

According to my sources, Fox is currently pursuing high caliber talent to play (Reed Richards). The two actors in the running for the Fantastic Four lead part are Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Adrien Brody.

continues:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=21775

Amber Heard, Alice Eve Being Pursued for Fantastic Four Reboot

The two previous Fantastic Four films, released in 2005 and 2007 respectively, turned a decent profit but received poor reception from critics and fans. FOX has now decided to take the franchise in a new direction by way of a complete reboot. Fantastic Four: Reborn, as the film's working title is rumored to be, will supposedly have a very different tone than Tim Story directed films; and will feature a completely CGI rendered version of the character The Thing (previously portrayed by a rubber-suit clad Micheal Chiklis).

Just this week we learned that actress Alice Eve, since dropping out of her role as Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class, is being looked at by FOX to possibly carry the role of Susan Storm, the Invisible Woman, in the new Fantastic Four film series. Another actress being linked to role has just popped onto my radar: Amber Heard. Jessica Alba portrayed the heroine in both, previous films, and has been confirmed to not be reprising the role.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=21757

Teddybrown
February 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM
So, looks like we are going to be getting a rebooted Fantastic Four
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/new-fantastic-four-movie-gains-kick-ass-director-matthew-vaughn-producer-78811

Thoughts?

Krichton
February 22nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
So odd for Vaughn to be pulling the whole producer move. Why doesn't he direct? He basically ruined an upcoming X-Men by leaving it in the hands of Bryan Singer. He may well have done the same with Kick Ass 2.

DigiFluid
February 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
It's hard to imagine it being any worse than the previous two Fantastic Four films, so this may just be worth a shot.

blueray
February 24th, 2013, 05:17 AM
another movie that was just made. though I can see them redoing the second one because it wasn't very good.

Snowman37
February 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
So, looks like we are going to be getting a rebooted Fantastic Four
Why? There's only been two movies, the second of which only came out in 2007, just six years ago. That's not an unusual span between sequels without rebooting. Is there a particular reason? Alien vs. Predator was a sequel of sorts to the Predator movies. Predator 2 came out in 1990, Alien vs. Predator came out in 2004. The crossover movie was still in the same continuity of the prior movies.

Why doesn't he direct? He basically ruined an upcoming X-Men by leaving it in the hands of Bryan Singer.
How is leaving a movie to Bryan Singer ruined? Isn't he the whole reason as to why the first two X-Men movies so successful?

another movie that was just made. though I can see them redoing the second one because it wasn't very good.
In regards to your "just made" comment, agreed. It seems too soon to abandon the storyline of the first two movies. Are they rebooting to dump the cast? Generally sequels don't get remade. They might get ignored, but I've never heard of a sequel remake.

I just discovered that the film studio who has rights to the Fantastic Four is 20th Century Fox. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(film_series)), "The Fantastic Four films received mostly unfavorable reviews by critics, but earned over $600 million at the worldwide box office. The series will be rebooted by director Josh Trank in 2015 and will share continuity with the X-Men film series." Perhaps this is why we're getting a reboot?

garhkal
February 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Personally i didn't mind either of them, so don't feel a reboot is necessary this soon.

Wyrminarrd
February 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
A reboot is needed since the general consensus is that the first two movies weren't good and the second one kind of stunk.

They completely butchered Dr. Doom in those movies. They had the coolest comic book villain ever made and instead of being true to who the character was they turned him into a complete wuss.

Snowman37
February 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Personally i didn't mind either of them, so don't feel a reboot is necessary this soon.
Read the last paragraph in my post directly above yours. It answers why the studio felt it was necessary.

A reboot is needed since the general consensus is that the first two movies weren't good and the second one kind of stunk.
That doesn't hold water. Back in the 80's and 90's, all that meant was you put out a better sequel. Alien 3 was awful. Did FOX reboot? Nope, we got Alien Resurrection, a sequel.

They completely butchered Dr. Doom in those movies. They had the coolest comic book villain ever made and instead of being true to who the character was they turned him into a complete wuss.
Now this is a far more reasonable reason for rebooting, citing the existing movies as inadequate adaptions. I can't say I agree or disagree, my exposure to Fantastic Four begins and ends with the two movies.

Krichton
February 25th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Why? There's only been two movies, the second of which only came out in 2007, just six years ago. That's not an unusual span between sequels without rebooting. Is there a particular reason? Alien vs. Predator was a sequel of sorts to the Predator movies. Predator 2 came out in 1990, Alien vs. Predator came out in 2004. The crossover movie was still in the same continuity of the prior movies.

How is leaving a movie to Bryan Singer ruined? Isn't he the whole reason as to why the first two X-Men movies so successful?

In regards to your "just made" comment, agreed. It seems too soon to abandon the storyline of the first two movies. Are they rebooting to dump the cast? Generally sequels don't get remade. They might get ignored, but I've never heard of a sequel remake.

I just discovered that the film studio who has rights to the Fantastic Four is 20th Century Fox. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(film_series)), "The Fantastic Four films received mostly unfavorable reviews by critics, but earned over $600 million at the worldwide box office. The series will be rebooted by director Josh Trank in 2015 and will share continuity with the X-Men film series." Perhaps this is why we're getting a reboot?

The X-Men films were successful, but at the same time hugely disappointing, there's a difference. Look at the quality of First Class and Kick Ass, and then compare that to X1, X2, and Superman Returns. There is a notable difference in the way both directors execute a superhero story. I've never watched Bryan's non fantasy work, but people have said good things about his small indie films, maybe he should go back to that and leave the superhero business for directors who are good at it.

mr_kennedy
February 25th, 2013, 02:06 AM
skrull sense tingling

oops wrong franchise

Wyrminarrd
February 25th, 2013, 03:06 AM
That doesn't hold water. Back in the 80's and 90's, all that meant was you put out a better sequel. Alien 3 was awful. Did FOX reboot? Nope, we got Alien Resurrection, a sequel.

Now this is a far more reasonable reason for rebooting, citing the existing movies as inadequate adaptions. I can't say I agree or disagree, my exposure to Fantastic Four begins and ends with the two movies.

Times have changed, these day's a bad movie means that the series is dead since the cost of making these movies is so high you can't afford the negative press associated with a previous dud. The best way to overcome it is to reboot and thus clear the slate. Plus people don't mind reboots as much with comic book movies since the original material are the books and not the movies like in the case of Alien.

And trust me on this, as a long time Dr. Doom fan I can assure you that they completely failed with him in just about every way they possibly could have.

Ukko
February 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss184/Folksky/rofl.gif

EDIT: an extra one for Ron. http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss184/Folksky/rofl.gif

Teddybrown
January 27th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Couldn't find a thread already for this, but please merge if there is one and I've missed it.

So, we have the first trailer for the Fantastic Four reboot, thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84838260&v=e-BVs-KCSiA&x-yt-ts=1422327029&feature=player_embedded

escyos
January 28th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Fant4stic? Ok.

No Jessica Alba, not sure how I feel about this....

cosmichobo
January 28th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Is it just me... Or are the Marvel/Other-CGI-comic-movies being re-booted far too often these days?

Annoyed
January 28th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Is it just me... Or are the Marvel/Other-CGI-comic-movies being re-booted far too often these days?
It's not just you. Fantastic Four came out in 2005, as I recall. There's been one sequel. There is no need for a reboot. Just continue the story that has been started. There is no need to go over their origin again. Spiderman was another example of this. 30 - 40 years, with the franchise idle? Yeah, reboot is ok. But within 10 years? No thanks.

cosmichobo
January 28th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Exactly...

The Batman franchise ran with several different lead actors in the 90s, without requiring a reboot...

Wyrminarrd
January 28th, 2015, 03:42 AM
It will take a miracle to save this movie from being this years biggest box office failure.

jelgate
January 28th, 2015, 04:38 AM
It will take a miracle to save this movie from being this years biggest box office failure.
That's premature. Many thought the same about the Hulk reboot and did good.

cosmichobo
January 28th, 2015, 04:49 AM
And... are they just casting younger and younger or what?

blueray
January 28th, 2015, 07:06 AM
My first response when I saw this thread was does that need to be made? The other movies are only 10 years old. They could easily just make a third movie.

Starsaber
January 28th, 2015, 07:41 AM
My first response when I saw this thread was does that need to be made? The other movies are only 10 years old. They could easily just make a third movie.

Except that the last movie is widely seen as awful. They're rebooting to get away from that, and if they waited too long, the rights would have gone back to Marvel. Not saying that's a good reason from our perspective, but it is from the studio perspective.

Annoyed
January 28th, 2015, 08:06 AM
It's more likely that the Director or some other high up muckity muck wants to put his own stamp on it to stroke his ego.

LtColCarter
January 28th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I'm getting tired of all of the reboots! Where is the originality??

Teddybrown
January 28th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Agreed, Im sitting here wondering what will be next?

EDIT: Seems Ghostbusters is next, but with a full female team...

Annoyed
January 28th, 2015, 07:04 PM

That will be a disaster, in my opinion. There are some things that you just can't improve upon. Whomever gets the task of running this risks a great deal. Screw this up, and your odds of getting another job in Hollywood aren't good.

Archaeis
January 28th, 2015, 08:44 PM

It's not in comic book movies. It's already got source material. Different interpretations, sure, but not anything original.

garhkal
January 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Since i recognized exactly 2 of those actors they had, who the heck are the rest?
Also they all look like straight out of HS/junior college age. IMO that is WAY too young for the F4.

Annoyed
January 29th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Since i recognized exactly 2 of those actors they had, who the heck are the rest?
Also they all look like straight out of HS/junior college age. IMO that is WAY too young for the F4.

Before long all the actors will be in diapers.

knowles2
January 29th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Going on my friends thought on the trailer I reckon that highly unlikely.

But anyway no film should be worry about flopping this year. It not going to approach the epic fail that is going to be ghostbusters remake, even one of my feminists friends thinks it stupid of them to have all female crew.

LtColCarter
January 29th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Oh sweet baby Jesus!

garhkal
January 29th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Oh sweet baby Jesus!

When i first heard that, i was thinking the same. Especialy since Ms chubby herself, Melinda Mccarthy is slated to be one OF them..

DigiFluid
January 31st, 2015, 11:49 AM
I don't like super young casting, and I really don't care about the Fantastic 4 characters....but it wasn't a bad trailer, if we're being honest. Not bad at all.

Teddybrown
April 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRoD28-WgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRoD28-WgU&app=desktop

Newest trailer

garhkal
April 20th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Not bad. I knew they were going young, but what i don't know is why sue storm is white and her "Brother" johnny is black..
But i do like the chick they got for sue, i loved her in House of cards.

Teddybrown
July 14th, 2015, 09:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgnQdiZFsQ

Comic Con trailer

Gen. Chris
July 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM
My excitement for this is waning, unfortunately. After hearing about supposed rumors that the film had to undergo massive and expensive reshoots under the direction of Matthew Vaughn (not the director of the movie) and the producers of Apocalypse, it makes me worry that this could be a train wreck.

I hope I'm wrong. Really I do, because I really liked the idea of making this into a more science fiction film than a superhero film. I just hope we get a decent movie.

But if it fails, maybe it will convince Fox to sell the rights back to Marvel, cause I'm pretty sure Marvel would love to have Doom as a villain moving beyond phase 3.

garhkal
July 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Looks decent enough to me. But it's still gonna be a 'wait till it hits DVD' before i see it.

LtColCarter
July 16th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Saw a preview...it looks ok. Better than what I thought it was going to be.

Teddybrown
September 12th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Finally caught this, not as terrible as I thoguth it would be...

garhkal
September 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM
It was ok, but i didn't like that it was an AR which gave them powers, vice getting mutated by radiation in space..

LtColCarter
September 14th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Well...that was a flop and 3/4ths...

Annoyed
December 22nd, 2015, 02:59 AM
Picked this up on BD yesterday... I want my $ back, as well as the 2 hours I spent watching it.

This thing was boring. In addition, by the 3/4 point, I had no interest in what happened to any of the characters or anything else in the movie.

This reboot was not only totally unnecessary, but was actually harmful to the franchise. After the dismal box office for this, I don't think anyone will be making any more FF movies. Which is too bad, 'cause I rather like the first 2.