Enterprise- "Kir'Shara"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise- "Kir'Shara"

Whoa! This has gotta be one of the best episodes of the season so far, right up there with "Home," "Cold Station 12," and "Awakening." And what an ending!... Wait, back up first.

Some unexpected stuff this time. I was wrong about a few things, specifically dealing with T'Pol's character. I assumed that, after the death of her mother, and the things she said before passing, T'Pol would start to take a longer look at what the Syrannites stand for, but she still was against it. What I loved more than anything involving her was the line she came out with: "This has nothing to do with science."

It seems to me that part of the Vulcan story was meant as an allagory(sp?) for stirring religious debates going around on Earth now, and, like, forever. T'Pol is faced with the idea of someone questioning the things she's always believed in, and even if she did somehow feel like they might be right, she naturally still feels resistence toward the idea of changing. All 3 eps have at least a scene or two dealing with this issue, and it comes off beautifully. It's subtle enough to not be noticeable to certain people that would be annoyed by "preachiness" and poignant enough for those (like myself) that eat this stuff up.

Anyway, it's always nice to see a familiar face return after being gone so long- Shran was nice. There was little surprise when Soval was transported to the Andorian ship, since they already pretty much told us that in the previews, although I would have liked to see an explanation as to where Shran got Transporters to begin with, since it was established a few years ago that they didn't have this, and now they're so good with them that they can transport someone not just to and from a platform, but anywhere on the ship. (*breathes*) But anyway, it was a cool set of scenes to see Soval broken down, and actually showing emotion in a major way. I loved the story he told Shran about the "fool" and his reaction when he first started telling it: "What???"

It's nice to know they're continuing to recognize past events- not just stuff from TOS, but stuff from ENT. They thankfully didn't forget all about the Treaty of... Whatchamacallit. And they also FINALLY got around to mentioning T'Pol's P'Nar Syndrome. Hopefully, there's some kind of piece of story still unresolved involving whatever happened during T'Pol's meld with T'Pau in this ep. I mean, she did say that she had melded with her mom and junk...

And now for the ending. Vulcans vs. Humans vs. Andorians- that was pretty cool. At this point, I was really kinda starting to think they might have been going a bit too far with the whole "messed up Vulcans" thing, but then came the startling discovery at the end that made everything all right. Well, more than all right- it was awesome.

So, (former) Administrator V'Las is either working for the Romulans, or is a surgically altered Romulan himself. Fan-freakin-tastic! Man, this can't be Enterprise. Enterprise doesn't have shocking moments like this in it. I must have been watching a really tripped-out lost episode of Buffy or something. That was great! Now, everything that has happened up to this point on ENT suddenly feels like it has so much greater meaning! I love this!

Rock on, Manny Coto. Rock on! "Kir'Shara" gets an A+ from me.

Kir'Shara gets a D- at most from me.

Most of the things in the series are breaking the ST and TNG timelines, respectively, and the Romulan stuff is part of it.
    Enter my game site...

Comment

I have to agree with Vapor. This episode kicked ass. Manny Coto, you are a genius.
      I read that this ep has gotten some of the highest ratings this season!!!! Boo-yeah!
      Rocky

Comment

Does this mean there is hope for a Season Five?
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
          Does this mean there is hope for a Season Five?
          I would like to direct you to this news article at TrekToday, in which a Paramount rep hints that there might be a season five.
          Rocky

Comment

I liked this episode alot. I'd give it an A. It was really good. I still don't understand how the holo-emitters could have worked in the forge, but whatever. Also, I like how they brought back the staff weapons from Amok times. Those things are so .....I don't know. But they are so nostalgic.

I loved how they now made Soval an larger part of the High Command, and the part that I liked the best, aside from the Romulan appearing on Earth were Archer/Soval's last lines.

Soval: 'We will be leaving Earth alone. Its time you stand on you're one two feet.'
            Archer: 'We're ready.'

AWESOME! Anywayn, I liked it. Also, I could tell that they were saving money by not showing the entire gun battle, as they normally would.

As for Manny Cotto.....dude, I appreciate the fact that you are finally listening to Jolene and the fans and getting back to pre-TOS stuff. But you're still on my crap list for slaughtering the Temorpal Cold War arc, you could have post poned it, but no (!), you killed it. I can't forgive you for that.

Oh, and Braga, you better stop sitting around on your ass, and you better start getting to work. I've seen nothing from you so far, and it angers me!!!

Alright, I'm done.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I'm a little steamed about the TCW thing coming to an end as well. I mean, that was the biggest story, which took us through three seasons, and now it seems pretty much over.

I like for a series to feel like it's one giant story, with a few detours along the way, and the fact that they seem to have killed what I felt was close enough to the main story just felt wrong.

Of course, I know a lotta people never liked that story.

And, even though I want more TCW (in moderation) in the future, I'm happy we're getting to the formation of the Federation and the Romulan stuff now.

Comment

TCW's end brought me the character of Vosk, who I loved. I think he is the best villain/gray-hero so far. I think he beats the pants off Soong (although I never connected with Data). But to just end it, like END, was wrong. It would have been nice to see Daniel and Archer standing there, and Daniel to say something like

Daniels: Can't you see it? Its coming to an end. For the most part you've stop the war.
                Archer: Yea. Well that just makes me giddy. But this is the end. Leave me and my crew alone. We want nothing to do with you and your war anymore.
                Daniels: I understand. But Jonathan, if and when we need you, you will be called upon.
                Archer: .....Just send us home.

Instead we got:

Archer: Just send us home.
                Daniels: Aight. Peace. Home!

Why?! Leave it open, to aleast give the chance for another installation. Or, even better than that:

(Daniels and Archer have their talk and is sent home(THAT FLEET ISN'T THERE (because it never was there in Zero Hour, which would have destroyed the Xinid Super Weapon and saved archer)))

Cut to a scene of the dead Silik, he is lying on the ground. He is burried under alot of debry.(Camera is over him, like in the air) The Shadow future guy appears and walks over to him, walking through bricks and stuff. He palces his hand on Silik, and the two disappear.

That ending would be like "WHOA?! What's gunna happen next!?".

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

First of all I have to say "Kir'Shara" was an INCREDIBLE episode. It gets an A + from me as well. As I'm writing this, the episode is on TV again (Sunday night), and I'm seeing a scene with T'Pol and T'Pau. But hey, I've got it on video.

I loved the ending; I'm a big fan of surprise endings. And from what I've heard what is going to come in future episodes, regarding the Romulans makes it all even greater. We're really starting to deal with stories, which will eventually lead towards the beginning of the Federation. Well, and Shran was just great too, as always.

Well, I'll bottom line it by saying, this episode was one of the best. Wonderful writing, wonderful directing, wonderful acting by every single one of the actors. It was one of those moments, where time was just flying by. The episode starts, and all of a sudden it's an hour later, and it's finished.

I think Manny Coto is simply doing an amazing job. He's great!

Rick Berman & Brannon Braga are both working on developing a new non-Star Trek series, which might be premiering next fall. I'm just referring to what you've said, DownFallAngel; Braga isn't sitting around, doing nothing. But I don't think either him or Rick Berman will be doing much in terms of writing for Enterprise this year, as they've both said themselves. I personally am looking forward to seeing what this new show, they're working on will be about.

And to make one thing very clear, I am almost sure that there will be a Season Five. Something would be very wrong if there wouldn't, since these first nine episodes of the season were all just some of the best there is on television today. So even if it's not official, I think Paramount knows that there'll be a Season Five, even if they won't admit it at this point.

Regarding the temporal cold war, it's supposed to be over, but that doesn't mean it can't be revisited one day. Who knows? But there are many people who never liked that story line; I even know someone in person, who certainly didn't like it. Well, we'll see....

However, in "Storm Front, Part 2", where Archer is talking to Daniels in the end, there are some very intersting images from the time line featured in the background, you might have noticed. Some of them are taken directly out of todays events. I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do.

Well, I'll end this post by bottom lining everything I've just stated; I love the way Enterprise is this year. And I'm full of optimism that this show will have seven seasons, just as the previous Star Trek shows.
                  Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but there probably won't be a Season 5. Enterprise's ratings haven't improved any since Season 3, and they were in fact dipping since "Home" aired. Even most of the cast is saying they're sure it's going to end, and that the only reason they were renewed for a fourth season was so they could reach the 100 episode mark, which is when a show can be sold into syndication. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love for Enterprise to be renewed. I loved Season 3 and Season 4 has been pretty good. But unless Enterprise somehow doubles it's rating's, I doubt it'll be back.
                    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I'm a little like Phlox regarding that... "OPTIMISM!"

But if they'd want 100 episodes, they'd have to go for Season 5, because with Season 4 only having 22 episodes, the final episode of this season will be ep. 98. It would work if this season had 24 episodes, but they cut it down to 22 for saving money. Unless of course 98 is close enough.

I actually don't know too much how the raitings are at the moment. Where is the best place to get this information?

Comment

I know TrekToday usually has the most up to date ratings information. Other than them I'm not really sure.

I'm a little like Phlox regarding that... "OPTIMISM!"
                        Ironically enough, it was a John Billingsley interview that convinced me there wouldn't be a fifth season. He was really blunt too. It was to the point where he said he has his agent looking for new things for him to do next year.
                        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I can't get away from the optimism.

I've been looking at Trek Today. I've found an article that states the raitings were pretty good last Friday. Some of the highest raitings this season.

It can be found here

And I've been looking at the article, mentioned in an earlier post by rocket4477. Now, wouldn't it be a cool thing to end the season with a cliffhanger, in which William Shatner would appear in?

Well, Paramount certainly hinted something there.

Also I believe in a little theory of mine; that the networks and the studios sometimes want people to believe it's the last season of a show, to make them more interested. Which is certainly a good publicity thing, no doubt. People tend to follow a show more, if they believe it's going to end soon. After all, every season of SG-1 since Season 5 was supposed to be the "last one".

Comment

Also I believe in a little theory of mine; that the networks and the studios sometimes want people to believe it's the last season of a show, to make them more interested. Which is certainly a good publicity thing, no doubt. People tend to follow a show more, if they believe it's going to end soon. After all, every season of SG-1 since Season 5 was supposed to be the "last one".
                            Last season they really weren't to sure if they would be coming back, no one really knew so I'll hold out hope I think.

This season has so far been really good, Storm Front had waaay to many cliches in it for me to like it remotely. The special effect quality also jumped around a lot which was a little, I dunno, weird. But from there on everything else has been really good, the special effects compliment the good stories rather than the special effects almost taking over like in a few episodes of season 2. Meh.

The ending to Kir'Shara was incredible I was amazed, it feels like each little story is slowly building to something bigger, although the Soong arc doesn't tie specificaly it was still really interesting which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                              I liked this episode alot. I'd give it an A. It was really good. I still don't understand how the holo-emitters could have worked in the forge, but whatever. Also, I like how they brought back the staff weapons from Amok times. Those things are so .....I don't know. But they are so nostalgic.

I loved how they now made Soval an larger part of the High Command, and the part that I liked the best, aside from the Romulan appearing on Earth were Archer/Soval's last lines.

Soval: 'We will be leaving Earth alone. Its time you stand on you're one two feet.'
                              Archer: 'We're ready.'

AWESOME! Anywayn, I liked it. Also, I could tell that they were saving money by not showing the entire gun battle, as they normally would.

As for Manny Cotto.....dude, I appreciate the fact that you are finally listening to Jolene and the fans and getting back to pre-TOS stuff. But you're still on my crap list for slaughtering the Temorpal Cold War arc, you could have post poned it, but no (!), you killed it. I can't forgive you for that.

Oh, and Braga, you better stop sitting around on your ass, and you better start getting to work. I've seen nothing from you so far, and it angers me!!!

Alright, I'm done.
                              All three of the Vulcan episodes were great and enjoyable. However, the Vulcans shouldn't have had holographic tech 1800 years ago in the Kir'shara thingy; it seems implausible, so I found that to be lame. I agree with the Andorians not having transporters, but did in this episode. I also don't like the Romulan involvement, but nevertheless, it was cool!

Um, Downfallenangel, the Temporal Cold War arc needed to die quickly and painfully since it sucked beyond belief. I was so happy when Crewman Daniels died painfully. I hated that piece of crap. I would have killed him myself, which is what Archer should have done, after torturing the useless piece of garbage. I think time travel episodes are poor excuses for sci-fi, but Enterprise took it way too far. It got old fast and became too unbelievable. At least Stargate made the few time travel plots believable. Enterprise went on the Voyager principle, and in my opinion, Voyager reigned supreme UNTIL it went into the Captain Braxton/Time Ship crap. I stopped watching until those epis were done. I don't understand why you'd be mad at Manny Coto for purging Enterprise from the taint of the Temporal cold war stuff. He did the show a great favour and probably saved it. Had he not intervened, Berman and Bagga would have killed it off with their inept, stupid, and moronic writers who took the easy way out and depended on time travel and implausible, unreal timelines rather than focus on filling in the gaps between 2063 (Cochrane's time) and Archer and Archer and Kirk/TOS. There are a few hundred years of storytelling, character development, species development, etc., yet they wasted four seasons on pure time travel crap intermingled with a few cool episodes.

They ignored Tellarites, Orions, and others, who became a part of the UFP later. The Tellarites, as lame as they were, were an integral part of the UFP formation and were among the first members to sign on. Why were they ignored for 4 years? Where's the background info on Phlox's race, the Denublans or whatever they are? They could have thrown in a Gorn, Orion, Tellarite, Rigelian, or any other TOS race, but missed the opportunities to do this. They could have introduced pivotal characters that helped form or shape the UFP, but have failed to do this so far.

If there is a fifth season, it will be due to the fact that the Temporal Cold War is dead and finally they are focusing on Core Trek plots and issues. Temporal Cold War, please don't come back and stay painfully dead!

Comment

Working...
                              X