This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU should be a Franchise re-invention

Saw the teaser this evening, seems like they have a good formula for kickstarting the franchise again, theyve also got a perfect opportunity to take up the mantle of one of the most ground breaking Sci Fi shows that Ive ever seen.

They need a 'BSG' bible on that show,

Keep it gritty, keep it natural, keep it real, keep it dark, murders, love triangles, quadrangles, cannibalism, pedophillia, rape . . anything and all taboo's should be considered, break the mold dont give us another SGA

SG1 great
    SGA good

BSG Kicked ass

Theyve got a great vehicle, they just need to drive it down the re-invention highway, even if it means turning McKay into a woman . . . I jest . . . but the idea that certain Doctrine / Lore can be dismissed if its needed, if its 'believed' it will work better, then yeh

An actors not heavy weight enough, kill em, turn em into a woman, throw the rule book out the window as long as it improves and progresses the story and the show, SG1 and SGA were the jump off point for this, great and good but not as kick ass as this . . can be

imo
    Last edited by Mooncat; 25 March 2009, 11:27 AM.

Okay...

Comment

No disrespect meant but I was not a fan of BSG.

Took too long to unfold, too dark. Almost as annoying as Lost.

To each his/her own

Looking forward to SGU for sure.

Comment

This is how I see SGU at the moment (not in reference to the cannibalism/pedophilia thing!)... As a re-invention of the franchise, like what's happened with BSG, Batman, Star Trek, Terminator etc... We've got a great cast, some new (and very good) blood in the crew, and an exciting premise to look forward to.

And the best thing about this is, the Stargate franchise wasn't at a particularly terrible point anyway, and the other two shows will continue in some form while the franchise overall is re-invigorated
        Last edited by SGFerrit; 25 March 2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooncat View Post
          Saw the teaser this evening, seems like they have a good formula for kickstarting the franchise again, theyve also got a perfect opportunity to take up the mantle of one of the most ground breaking Sci Fi shows that Ive ever seen.

Keep it gritty, keep it natural, keep it real, keep it dark, murders, love triangles, quadrangles, cannibalism, pedophillia, rape . . anything and all taboo's should be considered, break the mold dont give us another SGA

SG1 great
          SGA good

BSG Kicked ass

Theyve got a great vehicle, they just need to drive it down the re-invention highway, even if it means turning McKay into a woman . . . I jest . . . but the idea that certain Doctrine / Lore can be dismissed if its needed, if its 'believed' it will work better, then yeh

An actors not heavy weight enough, kill em, turn em into a woman, throw the rule book out the window as long as it improves and progresses the story and the show, SG1 and SGA were the jump off point for this, great and good but not as kick ass as this . . can be

imo

SGU is not BSG 3.0 IT IS SGU not BSG. The only thing in common is the S and the airing on Scifi. Oh wait just the S because BSG is a Scifi show, while SGU is a syfy show.. Ok. So the 30 second clip and BSG have nothing in common. in BSG I didnt see dozens of people falling outside the stargate... Hell there was no stargate. If your saying tis gonna be dark, so is half the soap Operas on daytime television.
          Please Close the topic as its one of three trillion comparing 30 seconds to an entire series of BSG. We have 3 trillion discussions on this already. We don't need another one. Or how about a sticky of ALL OF THE DUMB TOPICS ABOUT BSG BEING DARK AND SGU ALSO BEING DARK. and walla... takes away my pain. We can also have a "ALL OF THE DUMB TOPICS ABOUT STAR WARS BEING IN SPACE AND SGU ALSO BEING IN SPACE" and a "ALL OF THE DUMB TOPICS ABOUT LOST INSPACE BEING ABOUT BEING LOST AND SGU ALSO ABOUT BEING LOST"
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

with all due respect...no way. not even if it means cancelation after the pilot. This is Stargate, not make me want to slit my wrist show.

that would just murder the current fanbase and chase away casual viewers like my old 13 year old self watching Stargate for the first time...no. no. and no. This is a sci fi show first. It is an action show second. Not an overdramatic unrealistic portrail of military personnel and civilians stock on anisland (the Destiny and its galaxies).

SG1 great
            SGA good
            SG-BSG not so good.

BSG Kicked ass
            It was good, but it was its own thing.

imo
            this all sounds nice for a show who's time setting is either in the future or past, but not the present. We need to be able to see our parents, freinds, sisters, brothers, teachers, students, co-workers, bosses, leaders, and so on on this show. I know that I have seen these people in stargate, but not in BSG.

Sure a little "darker" with more emphasis on our future heroes and some more drama would be nice. but I would also love, I mean love stand alone episodes. I am not talking about the reset button. For example: (useing SG-1) Jack breaks a leg in the episode "Cold Lazarous". He also is troubled over bieng forced to deal with Charlie's death.

In the Next Episode. The Nox patch him up and his feelings over his son are resurfaced when one of Nafrayu is hurt/killed or whatever.

You can link stand alone episodes with out needing a huge BSG type arc. You can have dramatic charactor driven stories while keeping the sci fi/ stargate feel of the show.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Nothing personal Mooncat, but if it does go down that avenue, then I will definatley not be watching. Didn't like BSG or Lost, too depressing. If I want to be depressed I'll watch the news. My favorite thing about both SG-1 and Atlantis was the lightness of it. The shows weren't too heavy and they didn't take themselves too seriously. The drama and suspence were just right in my opinion. They were very balanced. I want to go on an adventure every week. Something new and different for most episodes. I understand the need for story arks, but being stuck in the same place all the time will become boring very fast. I like my dark stuff in movie format. (i.e. Alien, Aliens, Pitch Black, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, ect.) My weekly entertainment needs to be light, funny, and have a sense of adventure. ( i.e. SG-1, SGA, Eureka, Sanctuary, ect. Also like 24 but for different reasons) Just my 2 cents. I do expect some change.

Comment

While I like the idea of notching it up a little bit on the darkness scale, this is going quite a bit too far for Stargate.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post

While I like the idea of notching it up a little bit on the darkness scale, this is going quite a bit too far for Stargate.
                  i agree

Comment

Hmmm. I think it should take several steps in the 'dark' direction of BSG, but not go all the way lest it appear too derivative. I'm hoping for good story arcs that last for seasons, and 'entropy' on the show so that when things get broke, they stay broke

Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

They need a 'BSG' bible on that show
                      I reaaaaaaaaaally hope not.

I know BSG has a huge and devoted fanbase, but I couldn't get through the first season of it. I found it depressing and turgid and just...awful...

It was obviously fine for other people! But if SGU was to go the same way, I'd be very disappointed...

Comment

I agree. - Stargate has more in common with Star Trek than BSG (Hear me out!) - Its escapism, but in the here and now, with an intellectual twist. - Mythology. SG1 had this in spades, and for me, its one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. The factor of wondering what’s on the other side of the Gate, and what will want to come through the Gate to us. Plus the fact the main characters have been drawn out very well, and there is a nice level of humour.

Atlantis maintained the "what’s on the other side of the gate factor for a while, but abandoned the mythology completely, with the exception of the original legend of the city itself, and that was effectively dealt with in the pilot episode. - The increasing dependence on ships and disposal of the "we have to fend off for ourselves" arc at the end of season 1 killed some interesting story option ideas. - The series never really seemed to get a handle on what it was actually trying to do! However, it had that escapist element, in a far more conventional sci fi way.

Universe has to be its own animal. - If it copies anything else, it’s doomed to fail. - Why would Galactica fans watch a programme geared to them, that isn't actually Galactica related? I like Galactica (I've seen seasons 1 - 3) but I would not want to see a Stargate "equivalent" to it. Galactica was more making social statements about the world we live in (terrorism, the dark horrors of human behaviour etc,) and trying to be shocking and dramatic. - Its done it, and pulled no punches about it too. However its not escapism as a result. Low on humour, and often the episodes stick in the mind for dark reasons, not cheerful ones. It’s an uneasy reminder - and warning - of how terrible we humans can be. - Just as the news often is unfortunately. I have no interest in seeing a version of Stargate that works like that.

- Like any new series, whether its a new leg on a franchise or not, Universe will need to be much more original than that, and the writers already know this. - In the end it’s their livelihood, and they have bills to pay like the rest of us. A franchise restart? Perhaps. Maybe that’s what Stargate will need to keep up with the competition. Certainly it can't rest on the reputation of its illustrious predecessor.
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

What they need to do is darken it slight, (which they are planning to do) but keep the winning attitude, and simple humor you find in SG1. That made the show great, if they can darken slightly but keep it with happy endings and add some comic relief, then the show will be amazing!
                          I'm gonna miss SG1..
                          Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post

Agreed.

And count me as another who disliked BSG.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Maybe you should go watch snuff films instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X