PDA

View Full Version : The Gates in SGU

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Dark lord me
August 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I was wondering what the colour of the gate for SGU will be because in SG1 its red Atlantis its blue so i was hoping green or yellow what are your thoughts and do you think it will be a sg1 or sga style of gate

unluckynumber11
August 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I was wondering what the colour of the gate for SGU will be because in SG1 its red Atlantis its blue so i was hoping green or yellow what are your thoughts and do you think it will be a sg1 or sga style of gate

i think green, i don't know why, it'd just feel right.

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming Purple as that's the colour of the logo, but I was kinda hoping that we'd stick with SG1's red...

Dark lord me
August 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
i think green, i don't know why, it'd just feel right.

I agree it would be a good color to use

I'm assuming Purple as that's the colour of the logo, but I was kinda hoping that we'd stick with SG1's red... I highly doubt that they will be sticking with red unless the ship was sent when those were in style (i hope not personally)

_Famrir_
August 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
im hoping green but violet would be nice like my avalon tag

Flyboy
That's what I'm assuming. I'm not sure if it's based in fact, but I'm convinced that the ship was dispatched from our galaxy way before Atlantis left for Pegasus and during their earlier days of tech, so we'll have non-digital gates and such, I naturalll assumed as all the Ancient devices used stone and red lights (Torment of Tantalus) then the same gates would be sent out. It'd also be easier than making a whole new prop.

jenks
I'd like it to be silver with white lights, but it'll likely either be a MW type gate or a purple one as had been said.

ferrari20092
August 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
one of these perhaps??
http://i35.tinypic.com/2ryko52.jpg

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I naturally assumed as all the Ancient devices used stone and red lights (Torment of Tantalus) then the same gates would be sent out.

That was my thinking as well.

Ancavge
August 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
how about chrismas color lights?

LT.Adams
August 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am hoping Green and bigger than a MW Gate so the 302's can go through. I think that will be cool.

kymeric
August 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Teal!

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Wait Wait Wait.

The show's DARKER remember.

So... Black light.

:P

Andromeda Galaxy
August 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I would like to see a purple color but i was thinking if its an ancient warship then maybe a mix of MW gates and PG gates but the purple in the logo is very suspicious:vortex04::samanime27::o

Ancavge
August 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Pink!

Browncoat1984
August 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm all for hot pink. Or how about that puke green color that's becoming so popular with cars these days?

akren
August 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
My preferred choices for SGU gate (chevron light) colours

Green
Violet / Purple
White
I agree with Flying Officr Bennett in that it's probably older Ancient (if it was sent out/made way before Atlantis).

I was thinking the Destiny might be the pre-cursor to a city-ship (if it's supposedly huge & capable of supporting a crap-load of scientists/explorers, etc - it is on a 'never-ending' mission remember. . . :P), or something similar to?

I also wanna see the GateShip (as I am calling it) which cretes & seeds Stargates; that would be hella cool (not to mention we finally get to see how Stargates are offically created! :cool:).

I also wonder if they will have Puddle Jumpers &/or if the ships power source is a bunch of ZPM's like Atlantis or something else? Any bets on dead Ancients aboard the ship? :(

Also wonder if the Destiny maps out known Stargate routes in the galaxies it seeds & then inputs into the ship's computer for the pre-programmed naviation schedule we've heard about (also seems like a good plot device that TPTB can use to rotate the characters every so often without copping fan-base flack :mckay:)?

Andromeda Galaxy
August 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
check out my new sig

LT.Adams
August 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
one color BLAZE ORANGE!!!!

Thunderbird 2
August 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
IN photography, the true primary colour spectrum is red, blue and green. So for this reason it would be cool if the Universe gates have green chevrons.

I also agree that Mily Way style rotating bevel gates make more sense than the "newer" digital gates which are an Atlantis (post the launch of the Destiny) staple. This leaves the question, if so many gates have been littered all over the place, what co-ordinate or glyph symbols are used? The Universe is pretty big!

Of course, we may find that the gates change colour from galaxy to galaxy after all. - The gate props could have translucent chevron covers, with different colour gells added for the appropriate galaxy network. - Oh crap, its an inter-galactic tube / subway system in the making!!

This leads to another question - if the ninth chevron can dial the Destiny, does that mean ANY stargate can do so if juiced up with enough power? - Earth, Atlantis, Othala?

ShadowMaat
August 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Purple would be nice. Green would make sense in a primary colors way, but I don't think I could stomach all the gloating and/or whining about how Stargate: Horizon has green chevrons. :rolleyes:

Orion Antreas
August 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Of course, we may find that the gates change colour from galaxy to galaxy after all. - The gate props could have translucent chevron covers, with different colour gells added for the appropriate galaxy network. - Oh crap, its an inter-galactic tube / subway system in the making!!

I am assuming this as well. I am thinking that if the ship is designed to be smart enough to create gates and place them on planets automatically without "sentient" contact, then the main computer core must be able to design the color, look, etc. of the gate based on the galaxy. I mean according to the description of SGU, they may go through a few galaxies, not just one, so I am thinking we may see a variety colored gates.

I would like to see the Destiny ship gate be a white gate with silver chevrons (which would be unique specifically for the ship and the ship only) and then the other gates will have a variety of colors. I am assuming if I am on track with my assumption, the first galaxies gates are gonna be green, but that is only speculation on my part.

Only time will tell, but I think green is the first type of color we will see. :P

Platschu
August 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I hope they will keep the old stargate form, so they won't make futuristic gate systems or only supergate network for big ships. I don't know how often will they enter into other galaxy, but I hope they will keep the "one color to one galaxy" rule. ;)

jimv1983
August 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
This ship was sent out long before the Ancients went to Pegasus. I think they sent out the gate seeding ship after they arrived in milky way, it seeded the milky way with gates then other galaxies including the Asgard galaxy(if you remember the Asgard galaxy had milky way type gates) but not making it to Pegasus. Then when the Ancients went to Pegasus they set up the gate network with the new updated version of the gate.

thekillman
August 25th, 2008, 12:04 AM
silver gate, light blue, orange, or white chevrons. i hope the gates are bigger, and i hope it has a gate capable weapon

VSHARMA
August 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I HOPE FOR GREEN!!!!!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/graphics/horizon01.jpg

Shan Bruce Lee
August 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Wait Wait Wait.

The show's DARKER remember.

So... Black light.

:P

Which would technically be purple wouldn't it? :jack:

Drizzt Do'Urden
August 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
GREEN! that's what I hope at least! Anything in the red orange yellow is too similar to SG1 for me

Vespasianus
August 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My vote is on the traditional red chevrons, or make a compromise: blue chevrons, but not on a digital gate. I LOVED the original concept for the Atlantis Stargate which made me a little disappointed about the final version:

http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/atlantis/vazlatok/s1/normal_Atlantis-1152x870.jpg

thekillman
August 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
what original concept?

Anubis Lives
August 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
check out my new sig

Very cool :cameron:

I would say Green. Seems natural to move on to green.

Vespasianus
August 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
what original concept?The one behind the cast on the picutre in my previous post.:) Bluish green chevrons on a somewhat silvery greenish Stargate and a rotating inner ring, which makes the whole thing look very old.:)

RealLantian
August 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I think/ hope for White Chevrons. To be honest, I don't mind - getting more excited about it now I've read a little more! :cool:

Frontastic
August 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I sort of assumed there would be different colours for each galaxy the Destiny goes too but that wouldn't make much sense, would it? I think black Chevrons would look cool.

metabog
August 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well I would personally like the gates to be metallic looking like the SG-1 gates, but with either completely white lights or deep violet ones (not pink, ugh).

In fact, I'm actually hoping they will set a more mysterious color scheme. I really liked it when they brought Atlantis to the new planet after First Strike and the colours were all violet and twilight-like, really strange and mysterious, but then they just went back to the Lantean normal blue skies and ocean. A subtle color scheme can really set the mood for a show or movie.

I don't mind if the gates they find on planets looks just like normal ones, but it would be cool to have the one on the ship really special looking. I am also hoping they make a memorable looking set and ship, the Ancient ships we've seen so far were a bit bland, to be honest.

jelgate
August 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Brown chevrons:D

Ganthet Jr.
August 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think a very deep purple would be great!

I've seen some people say white, but I'd rather they reserve white for the Ori Galaxy, if they ever show them having stargates.

Thunderbird 2
August 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
The one behind the cast on the picutre in my previous post.:) Bluish green chevrons on a somewhat silvery greenish Stargate and a rotating inner ring, which makes the whole thing look very old.:)

Aaargh! That was the original Atlantis gate concept? Why couldn't they have stuck with that? It wold have made the Pegasus gate network as reliable as the Milky way one, instead of the "Digital" concept which coudln;t be manually dialed!

Womble
August 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Pink!

Indeed. They did mention that the show will be aimed for a younger audience;)

Alan
August 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'd quite like to see purple as the colour of the Stargates in Stargate: Universe!

One other thing I'd quite like to know is whether the glyphs be imprinted on to the Gates like those in the Milky Way Galaxy or will they be illuminated like those of the Pegasus Galaxy?

Dark lord me
August 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I could see purple green or yellow as the three main and wouldnt they have sent one of these to Pegasus and those are diff gates

Alan
August 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM
As this series is set aboard a ship, maybe we'll see Stargate's of various colours at it travels through different galaxies? That'd be kind of cool I think. :)

Andromeda Galaxy
August 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
As this series is set aboard a ship, maybe we'll see Stargate's of various colours at it travels through different galaxies? That'd be kind of cool I think. :)

yeah thats what i'm thinking too. If the Destiny goes to multiple galaxies then there has to be different gates for each.:o:confused:

Dark lord me
August 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Well we don't know how many Gate systems there are for all we know they could have one thats entirely holographic until its dialed now that would be a cool one

Jack_Bauer
August 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Forgive me if this has been said, but maybe the colour will change according to each different galaxy they go through?

Vespasianus
August 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Forgive me if this has been said, but maybe the colour will change according to each different galaxy they go through?The Ida galaxy Stargate had red chevrons. And I don't think the Gate Installing Ship, or what the hell, that first ship that makes Stargates would vary their colors. On the other hand, I kinda like this idea.

kufan76
August 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
It depends, I suppose. unless there is a technical reason for the different colors, I would assume that it would be less advanced, however, since we don't exactly now when the ship was launched etc...the ship may be even older than the red ones in our galaxy, so who knows, maybe there's no color, at all! Purple and green just don't seem advanced...not very "ancienty" as sheppard would say. What about silver, or white, yellow?

Again perhaps there is some other reason, I doubt the ancients would have changed the color just for the fun of it.

Frontastic
August 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
The Ida galaxy Stargate had red chevrons. And I don't think the Gate Installing Ship, or what the hell, that first ship that makes Stargates would vary their colors. On the other hand, I kinda like this idea.

Thats what I was thinking.
A disco 'Gate! Each Chevron is a different colour and the colours rotate around!

Reiko
August 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
» pink.

Mike272
August 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM
OK, assuming they're dialing out from the SGC, at least one gate is going to have red Chevrons.

Now, if I understand the storyline, the seeding ship is old, really old. And as far as we know, the MW gates are the "v.1.0" gates, and the PG's are "v.2.0's". So, I'm betting the gate on the ship is still going to have red chevrons.

BruTak
August 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'd kind of like the actual gate itself to be a different colour to what we've already seen.

Maybe a sort of antique bronze sort of effect?

Automission
August 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
You know, this may have been said, but how will the gates look? Since this project began at the ancients beginnings, it should be the first, SG1 style gate.

Goauld System Lord
August 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I think I'll go with the majority here and go for either: Purple, Green or Silver.

Although the idea of a bronze colored Stargate is intriguing. Either way, the gate on the Destiny should be unique and different from what we've seen.

:cameron21: :sam59: :daniel: :tealc44: :vala:
:sheppardanime23: :mckay: :teyla25: :ronananime01:

stargatefan234
August 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm assuming Purple as that's the colour of the logo, but I was kinda hoping that we'd stick with SG1's red...

When i thought that moave would be a good colour i was joking, but having seen the logo, i think purple is a safe bet.

green word be good as well

Platschu
August 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
It can be green, silver or whatever, but if they plan to use different galaxies, than they should make different gate systems too.

I think 5-6 galaxy would be enough to create "play ground" for the next series. They should make a map about the local galaxy group, so we could see the positions of the galaxies next to each other like countries in 3D etc. ;)

Oka
August 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Pink

The Prophet
August 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Subtle Gold Chevrons, Translucent Metallic Silver Body.

;)

This just isn't any Stargate, this is an M&S Universe Stargate

poundpuppy29
August 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I got something that will make you guys think what if they change when they go to different galaxies so every galaxy must have their own color

Mike272
August 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The gate's design is going to need to portray that it is older than any MW gate...

Woden
August 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Green would be nice.

NIMBUS
August 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
i say that there will be huge hole in a wall with a hologram (that would be cool)(in the ship, who knows about seeded gates)

ShadowMaat
August 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe there won't be any chevrons, thus depriving us all of one argument while providing us with another. :P

BruTak
August 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Maybe there won't be any chevrons, thus depriving us all of one argument while providing us with another. :P

Hmm...

Interesting idea.

Ancavge
August 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Well I would personally like the gates to be metallic looking like the SG-1 gates, but with either completely white lights or deep violet ones (not pink, ugh).

In fact, I'm actually hoping they will set a more mysterious color scheme. I really liked it when they brought Atlantis to the new planet after First Strike and the colours were all violet and twilight-like, really strange and mysterious, but then they just went back to the Lantean normal blue skies and ocean. A subtle color scheme can really set the mood for a show or movie.

I don't mind if the gates they find on planets looks just like normal ones, but it would be cool to have the one on the ship really special looking. I am also hoping they make a memorable looking set and ship, the Ancient ships we've seen so far were a bit bland, to be honest.

what wrong with my pink idea..lol

-PITBULL-
August 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
OK Well in SG-1 we got the Gate from the MOVIE .. Then in SG-A we got a new Gate .. Do you think in SG-U will get a newer Gate . Some different kind of design ..

jelgate
August 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I say it would be an old gate;)

ussrelativity
August 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Given the Destiny is supposedly even older than Atlantis, probably an older model gate.

jjit
August 27th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I think the gate on the Destiny will be unique.
Different form both SG1 and SGA.

Dusk
August 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Of course, it is a good question. I'd love to see a gate not confined to the design of a metallic ring, but rather have a circle of energy spout the wormhole. Maybe in the next Stargate spinoff.

BruTak
August 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Here's a notion - what if the new gate was organic technology?

Sort of looking like it was grown rather than built. A kind of coral effect like the TARDIS console room in Dr. Who.

Yes? No?

lunarleviathan
August 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I also think the Destiny gate should look unique. However I want the same color scheme as the original Stargates. Also, the Stargates that are being seeded should be the same as original Stargates IMO.

Never liked the Atlantis gate design.

Frontastic
August 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Sort of looking like it was grown rather than built. A kind of coral effect like the TARDIS console room in Dr. Who.

Yes? No?

Well this is going to be a pretty expensive show so maybe TPTB will rent out the Who set! That would actually be really cool! :D Just put a gate where the door is!

thekillman
August 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
silver gate, white or blue lights. somewhat half-digital. though i like the lights, it should be as robust as a MW one

Character
August 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think they said SGU will have a bigger budget than SG-1/SGA, so its very likely they'll make a new, unique stargate/prop for the new show, personaly i'd like the purple ones :P

Andromeda Galaxy
August 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Yes? No?

I don't think the ancients would've copied the wraith in growing their tech not building it.

Alan
August 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Yes? No?

That's an interesting idea, BruTak. :) But I'm afraid I have to agree with Andromeda Galaxy when they said:

I don't think the ancients would've copied the wraith in growing their tech not building it.

a lost ghost
August 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
the gate on bord of the ship will be diffrent from all othere gates because it have to dile out in many diffrent galexies ie the constalations wont be set in stone and thay will change in the diffrent galexies

Alan
August 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
the gate on bord of the ship will be diffrent from all othere gates because it have to dile out in many diffrent galexies ie the constalations wont be set in stone and thay will change in the diffrent galexies

That's a SUPER idea! A Gate (and presumably DHD) with changing Glyph symbols to match up with which ever galaxy the ship is in! GREAT thinking a lost ghost! :) :)

Jacka
August 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
maybe the glyph symbols kind of morph into the other ones. Like a liquid being shaped into each glyph. or they could just press a button and a gate and DHD would rotate into place for whatever galaxy they need

BruTak
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Well, the Wraith had to get the technology from someone...

jenks
August 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Why did they?

Infinatus
August 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hmm. The stargates should be organic with silver chevrons. :P

lordozma
August 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Bronze Gate, Golden Chevrons, backlit embossed glyphs. That's my idea, but hey, who knows, it'll probably give kids seizures....

BruTak
August 28th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Bronze Gate, Golden Chevrons, backlit embossed glyphs. That's my idea, but hey, who knows, it'll probably give kids seizures....

We can but hope... ;)

Dark lord me
August 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Well maybe a gate that when planted is like a Hologram and like a blueprint but when it is finally in place it turns into a fully fledged solid like the Sangrall (sp) when Jackson made it

Crazy Tom
August 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM

You dissapoint me children, check a timeline.

Dark lord me
August 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Wraith 101
The Ancients were there before the Wraith:wraith37:

Mike272
August 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM

lol, :)

Thank you! Finally, someone!

rainbow unicorn
August 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
How about frosted?

http://www.unificationfrance.com/IMG/jpg/stargate_simpsons_1.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy
August 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
How about frosted?

OMG i need to see that. wheres it from?

Platschu
August 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
As you know there is a stargate version with Egyptian hieroglyphs. I was a bit surprised to see this gate type on the Continuum DVD, where they advertised the SG-1 series. Maybe I remember badly, but was it in the original SG movie on Abydos or on the cover stone?

If you want to create "other" stargates, than you should use this draw:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Milky_Way_Stargate_(blank).png
:D

And here is the worst stargate what was ever made:
http://www.starpulse.com/news/media/StargateInfinityfeat.jpg
:(

Dark lord me
August 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM
How about frosted?

Now that should be the team with their staffs that shoot sugar and rot the enemies teeth :jack_new_anime18:

Rudy Pena
August 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
HOw about HOT PINK?

Vespasianus
August 31st, 2008, 01:08 AM
As you know there is a stargate version with Egyptian hieroglyphs. I was a bit surprised to see this gate type on the Continuum DVD, where they advertised the SG-1 series. Maybe I remember badly, but was it in the original SG movie on Abydos or on the cover stone? The "hieroglyphic Stargate" was featured on a poster for the 1994 movie, but in the film itself they used the final symbols. The Abydos Stargate had different symbols than the Earth gate (and this makes more sense then the SG-1 idea with the same symbols on every planet's Stargate IMO), but not hieroglyphic ones.

wkw427
August 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
White chevrons!

Platschu
August 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
The "hieroglyphic Stargate" was featured on a poster for the 1994 movie, but in the film itself they used the final symbols. The Abydos Stargate had different symbols than the Earth gate (and this makes more sense then the SG-1 idea with the same symbols on every planet's Stargate IMO), but not hieroglyphic ones.

Thanks. :D I could see this stargate in an SG comic too. And it was even on the Continuum DVD's SG-1 ad, so I was bit surprised that nobody mentioned this version here. ;)

Platschu
September 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
As we began to chat about gate colors, I could remember there were these cool SG promos in 2006 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0hJBE-Jwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71XoyEKkQY

Alan
September 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
As we began to chat about gate colors, I could remember there were this cool SG promos in 2006 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0hJBE-Jwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71XoyEKkQY

Awesome! I haven't seen those before! Thanks for sharing! :)

Blistna
September 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
All right, here are some good questions for us to think about. If the Destiny has a powersource powerful enough to go on for as long as it has, and i assume to go on a lot longer, then why can't they just gate back to Earth? And if Earth could get there, why can't Earth gate to them? Well, the last question, why can't Earth gate to them, is because i think it uses a lot of power. It just makes since, I mean they are making a wormhole to some random spot in the universe...wherever it may be. To me, sounds like a power hog.

But the first question, why can't you gate from Destiny to Earth is one question i can't answer. What do u guys think?

NorseGuy
September 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
In the ending of season one SG-1 disobbey their orders and gate to the Aphopis's ship which is currently on another planet. The stargate is onboard the ship and when the ship take of they can't gate home while they have no point of origin to dial from on the fly. This explains why they can't dial from the ship on the fly.

But it doesn't explain why they cannot dial home in orbit around another planet. With a ship made to seed Stargates all over the universe I'm sure they've the tool figure out their point of origin but definatly don't have the time to brute force the point of origon. And can't they just go down to the planet where the gate is seeded and dial home?

Blistna
September 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
In the ending of season one SG-1 disobbey their orders and gate to the Aphopis's ship which is currently on another planet. The stargate is onboard the ship and when the ship take of they can't gate home while they have no point of origin to dial from on the fly. This explains why they can't dial from the ship on the fly.

But it doesn't explain why they cannot dial home in orbit around another planet. With a ship made to seed Stargates all over the universe I'm sure they've the tool figure out their point of origin but definatly don't have the time to brute force the point of origon. And can't they just go down to the planet where the gate is seeded and dial home?

First off, the 9th Cheveron was not used in the first season. The 9th Cheveron is meant to take you to any point, no matter if your in orbit or not. Which is why I think it will take significant amount of power.

And to the second paragraph, the Destiny is the second ship mean to discover all the other stargates, as says this, "Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny". I'd really wonder on a seeding ship could follow itself.

And they will defintally need a lot of power to gate to back to the milky-way galaxy, which I assume they can only do in orbit (the 9th Chevron is only meant to get you to the ship, not to Earth). Which is why they can't go to a planet and do it.

quade_1
September 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is speculation but from what we have heard it makes the most sense....to me atleast.

The Destiny will be following another ancient ship(i will call Paramount) that is planting stargates and seeding planets. The Destiny is following up The Paramount that is a thousand light years ahead. The main objective of The Destiny is to observe humanities progress and report back to Atlantis. Which is how the team discover the ships in the first place. By utilizing the ninth chevron, which connects the outgoing gate to the ship. Once connected using several Atlantis Z(ed)PMs, the team travel to the ship, where they touch some wrong buttons and flip some bad switches. A series of unfortunate events happen, and the power is depleted, or they miscalibrate or break something in the onboard DHD. They are stranded onboard and spend their time using the onboard Stargate to explore the planets they come across as they try to find a way back home.

my best guess is that the ninth chevron connects to secret ancient outposts/labs/ships etc. which is how the teams haven't found their "secret stash of ancient weapons".

thekillman
September 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
maybe because it will take way, way, way, way, way too much power, and coordinates they dont have?

jollyrogue
September 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM
maybe because it will take way, way, way, way, way too much power, and coordinates they dont have?

i dont know much but don't the earth coordinates always stay the same no matter where you're dialing from?

Maybe they won't have a 9 chevron address for earth, or yet, won't have a point of origin?

Fan-e-Gate
September 9th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Firstly nine chevrons probably take a lot more energy to contact the ship in the first place (ie more than the energy to use an 8 chevron long address)

In terms of not gating back to Earth from the Destiny. It probably isn't a powersource thing (that idea has been done to death and we can't really argue that a ship that has spents milllions of years in hyperspace travel lacks enough power).
Instead I am guessing it is due to the point of origin or not being able to figure out one quick enough before its next jump.
The reason why the destiny can gate to nearby planets is because they do not need a point of origin to be contacted (yes I have discounted the whole premise of why Dr Jackson was ever consulted in the first place 14 yrs ago). This is because the newly seeded gates don't need points of origin.
My reasoning: I have always had an issue about gates needing a point of origin. Why do they need it. With the phone example I need to dial a couple of numbers to pinpoints my friend's phone but never do I eneter something that tells my friend that it is me (the phone network/carrier does it all). Similarly these newly seeded gates may not require a point of origin as it knows that the signal it is receiving is most likely from the gate that the dialing DHD is connected too (doesn't really take a genious to figure that). so effectively there is no point of origin is needed in this new show
However to get to a MW gate or a Pegasus gate (which have historically needed point of origins) a point of origin is needed and the Destiny may not output quick enough before the next jump. The Destiny gate however can receive incoming signals via nine chevrons.

Of course it is pretty radical to remove the point of origin but I am just guessing. It does sound far fetched but it personally removes the stupidity of ever needing Point of Origins.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
September 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM
maybe they cannot lock the 9th shevron

jenks
September 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I'm thinking maybe the ship has it's own AI that makes things difficult for the team...

rarocks24
September 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Maybe there's nothing to go back to?

quade_1
September 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Firstly nine chevrons probably take a lot more energy to contact the ship in the first place (ie more than the energy to use an 8 chevron long address)

In terms of not gating back to Earth from the Destiny. It probably isn't a powersource thing (that idea has been done to death and we can't really argue that a ship that has spents milllions of years in hyperspace travel lacks enough power).
Instead I am guessing it is due to the point of origin or not being able to figure out one quick enough before its next jump.
The reason why the destiny can gate to nearby planets is because they do not need a point of origin to be contacted (yes I have discounted the whole premise of why Dr Jackson was ever consulted in the first place 14 yrs ago). This is because the newly seeded gates don't need points of origin.
My reasoning: I have always had an issue about gates needing a point of origin. Why do they need it. With the phone example I need to dial a couple of numbers to pinpoints my friend's phone but never do I eneter something that tells my friend that it is me (the phone network/carrier does it all). Similarly these newly seeded gates may not require a point of origin as it knows that the signal it is receiving is most likely from the gate that the dialing DHD is connected too (doesn't really take a genious to figure that). so effectively there is no point of origin is needed in this new show
However to get to a MW gate or a Pegasus gate (which have historically needed point of origins) a point of origin is needed and the Destiny may not output quick enough before the next jump. The Destiny gate however can receive incoming signals via nine chevrons.

Of course it is pretty radical to remove the point of origin but I am just guessing. It does sound far fetched but it personally removes the stupidity of ever needing Point of Origins.

if i remember correctly, the PoO would be like pressing the "talk" button. you dial the number then press talk. The reason they don't need it on other planets is that the big red button in the middle of the DHD is the PoO. Which is why they only dial 6 symbols to earth and press it. As we all know the SGC doesn't have a DHD

Fan-e-Gate
September 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
if i remember correctly, the PoO would be like pressing the "talk" button. you dial the number then press talk. The reason they don't need it on other planets is that the big red button in the middle of the DHD is the PoO. Which is why they only dial 6 symbols to earth and press it. As we all know the SGC doesn't have a DHD

IIRC on every planet we have to press 7 chevrons. We just figured out which one was the point of origin because it is always a chevron we have never seen (or maybe it is located in a particular spot everytime)
Yeah the big red button is the Talk button but it isn't the same as the point of origin button. I wouldn't have minded never having a point of origin and them making the seventh chevron a talk button but alas it isn't so.

the fifth man
September 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm thinking maybe the ship has it's own AI that makes things difficult for the team...

I really like that idea.:)

GateTrek2004
September 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
We all figure that the New gate we see will be a different Color, but If they are moving from universe to universe. will the Gates change color? Cause all MWG Gates are Red, PG are Blue, so it would stand to reason that each Different galaxy would be another color. So Maybe we'll see all the different colors everyone wants! Maybe the Gate on the Ship will change color as it tells you what galaxy you are coming into (IE: The Current Galaxy's Gate is Green... Next Galaxy Is Purple...Ect...)

Thought??

September 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
We all figure that the New gate we see will be a different Color, but If they are moving from universe to universe. will the Gates change color? Cause all MWG Gates are Red, PG are Blue, so it would stand to reason that each Different galaxy would be another color. So Maybe we'll see all the different colors everyone wants! Maybe the Gate on the Ship will change color as it tells you what galaxy you are coming into (IE: The Current Galaxy's Gate is Green... Next Galaxy Is Purple...Ect...)

Thought??

i like that idea, and i agree with it :)

Puddle Splasher
September 24th, 2008, 03:26 AM
That idea will work if they don't go through many galaxies; there's a potential to run out of chevron colors.

"Ladies and gentle-aliens, if you take a look out your window you'll now be able to see our approach toward the next galaxies' Stargate as we begin to dial up the "Chartreuse" chevrons...

Personally, I'd like to see hot pink.

Atlanis
September 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I think, it should be gateworld's purple it looks good on the pictures

markaudette
September 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
IF there even are any Gates.

/low blow
/cheap shot
/sarcasm

Anda
September 24th, 2008, 03:54 AM

Thought??

Your wrighe evryone wants to se a stargate diferit color...

Greenfire32
September 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM
IF there even are any Gates.

If there aren't any gates, why would they call it Stargate Universe?

Unless....they use it just the once to get to the ship....

good argument markaudette :)

Mclean
September 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Interesting idea. Different colours for different galaxies.

:jack:

General Catflap
September 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Interesting Idea.

What about a different colour for different stages of gate evolution? As we know the MWG gates have a redish chevron colour and the bit in the middle with the constelations on spins. The PG gates are prob better developed and more modern, a "Digital" gate system as the chevrons are blue and the bit in the middle dosn't spin but the constelations light up in turn instead.
My idea means TPTB can use one colour for maybe 2/3/4/5 diferent galaxys and change it when a gate upgrade/evolution occurs. Just a thought.

MegaR
September 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
as soon as i heard universe would be coming i was thinking about green gates xD
wouldnt suprise me if im right :P

quade_1
September 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I would like to see a hybrid, stone like the SGC gate but inner circle that lights up like the Atlantis gate. And I think the different colors signify the design of the gate and not the galaxy they are in. But I have always thought green would look good.

jrr121407
September 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Wasn't the gate traveled to in the 5th Race red like the MW gates even though it was in the asgard galxey (Ida i think it was)?

Moao
September 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Wasn't the gate traveled to in the 5th Race red like the MW gates even though it was in the asgard galxey (Ida i think it was)?

Wasn't it on an angle too? Maybe all the Ida gates are on an angle.

Osiristi
September 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
The colours could depend on which gate system the gate uses. Ida Galaxy gates could be included in the same system as Milky Way - it isn't said that 8th chevron is used when going to another gate system, only that it's used when calling long-distance calls.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I would like to see a hybrid, stone like the SGC gate but inner circle that lights up like the Atlantis gate. And I think the different colors signify the design of the gate and not the galaxy they are in. But I have always thought green would look good.

That's what I like to believe. That the colours are merely different designs, not just for every galaxy.

GhostPoet
September 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I think they should go with hot pink when the ring is dialing. and then when it connects it does a cool disco spin of colors around the ring!

Orion Antreas
September 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Good question. I think that may be because Asgards didn't have a great need for the Stargates because they depended on their technology more such as the intergalactic hyperdrives on their safe ships. :P

I think that if Othalla was colonized by the Asgard during the Great Alliance, the Ancients had a Stargate placed on Othalla so the members of the Great Alliance could meet with the Asgard. I figure the same thing was done for the Furlings if they were outside the Milky Way as well and since the Nox were in the Milky Way, they would already have a Gate. So, I think that is why Othalla (Asgards former homeworld) had a Milky Way Gate. You wouldn't design a whole new design just for one world. :P

That's what I think.

Now, about the idea with the colors. I think that each Galaxy should have a color. As for the design, it will probably have a close design to the Milky Way Gates over the Pegasus Gates. The reason why is because the "Gate-Building Ship" was sent out before the Ancients went to Pegasus, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong. So that means that the Pegasus Gate design would not be incorporated into the computer. So I think it will look like the Milky Way Gate slightly modified having the chevrons different for each galaxy.

That would be nice to use a poster's idea above to have the gate color to change signaling that we are approaching the next galaxy gate network. So many possibilities. I hope they do this right. :P

Anubis10545
September 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
That idea will work if they don't go through many galaxies; there's a potential to run out of chevron colors.

"Ladies and gentle-aliens, if you take a look out your window you'll now be able to see our approach toward the next galaxies' Stargate as we begin to dial up the "Chartreuse" chevrons...

Personally, I'd like to see hot pink.

Polka Dots if they run out :)

Xylian
September 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I doubt there will be different colors because they come from the same ship that seeded the galaxies with stargates. There is no reason why the Ancients would put different colors for different galaxies. The only reason why they have a red gate that looks different in Milky Way and a blue gate that looks different in Pegasus and more high tech is because they were built in different eras.
The Milky Way galaxy gates were built before the Pegasus gates, so they are less advanced. The Pegasus gates are more advanced and just have a different color to show they are different. In SGU, the gates, which will probably be as advanced or even less advanced than the Milky Way gates since they are built before them, will only have one color for a gate, not one color per gate per galaxy. It's not the Ancients way of making it like that, it wouldn't make sense. Personally, I think purple should be the gate chevron color with the design similar to a Milky Way gate.

quade_1
September 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
In SGU, the gates, which will probably be as advanced or even less advanced than the Milky Way gates since they are built before them, will only have one color for a gate, not one color per gate per galaxy.

what??

Xylian
September 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
what??

Yeah, I probably didn't make any sense. What I mean to say is, the stargates will have only one chevron color, even if they are in a different galaxy. They will all be the same. There won't be any chevrons that are pink in one galaxy and green in another, it just wouldn't make sense. Sorry for the confusion.:o

JackHarkness_Hot
September 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
He's saying that he believes the Destiny was built before the Milky Way gates so, the stargate on-board the Destiny maybe of an older version to the Milky Way's and be of one colour as a result.

I hope that isn't the case, I hope the ship was built after the colonisation of a great number of galaxies that uses the same gate style as that of the Milky Way. But who knows, maybe there's gonna be one big universal Stargate (much like a universal remote control and pardon the "universe/universal" pun) which may not even have symbols on it. The computer may just display the different symbol styles after a group of galaxies, after plantation.

But I certainly do like the purple that's used on GW.

Xylian
September 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
He's saying that he believes the Destiny was built before the Milky Way gates so, the stargate on-board the Destiny maybe of an older version to the Milky Way's and be of one colour as a result.

I hope that isn't the case, I hope the ship was built after the colonisation of a great number of galaxies that uses the same gate style as that of the Milky Way. But who knows, maybe there's gonna be one big universal Stargate (much like a universal remote control and pardon the "universe/universal" pun) which may not even have symbols on it. The computer may just display the different symbol styles after a group of galaxies, after plantation.

But I certainly do like the purple that's used on GW.

The TPTB already said that the Destiny was built before the Milky Way gates.

quade_1
September 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I probably didn't make any sense. What I mean to say is, the stargates will have only one chevron color, even if they are in a different galaxy. They will all be the same. There won't be any chevrons that are pink in one galaxy and green in another, it just wouldn't make sense. Sorry for the confusion.:o

ya that makes more sense ;)

Puddle-Jumper
October 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The pic on the news article about universe getting underway was of a purple chevron, is this what we are to expect from the show or will there be different colours for all galaxies or will they actually explain it in the show what each colour means.... maybe the work slightly differently or something....

Mclean
October 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
They might find a clue on the Destiny as to why their different colours. Maybe the reason is to identify the different galaxies.

jenks
October 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
They're.

Arwis
October 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
They're.

I think different gate colors is just made for fun of the show. Because the IDA's galaxy gates is same as MW(the fifth race episode)

Anda
October 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'd like to be a yelow,purple or dreen color for Universe

Osiristi
October 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
As I have stated before in a similiar thread, I believe the 'gate colors designate not the galaxy but the gate system.

The Ida Galaxy 'gates are in the same system as the MW 'gates but in different galaxy -> You need 8 glyphs but the color is the same.

Puddle-Jumper
October 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I really hope there is some reason behind it......

jenks
October 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
As I have stated before in a similiar thread, I believe the 'gate colors designate not the galaxy but the gate system.

The Ida Galaxy 'gates are in the same system as the MW 'gates but in different galaxy -> You need 8 glyphs but the color is the same.

If they were in the same gate system then you wouldn't need 8 chevrons.

Osiristi
October 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's for the distance. >_> I know my theory leaks big time, but that's the only explanation I came up with.

Arwis
October 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Atlantis gates were build million of years later then original ones, so I think that ancients just updated gate seeding machine, thats way atalntis gates does not have iner circle which moves. It's like Stargate v2.0 and NOTHING special about color.

To those who thinks that different color = range, so please explain why gates within pegasus all are blue? Planets are closer then galaxies, so for short range there should be red gates.

Anyway I expect that when team arives to destiny(or w/e it's called) there should be old design gates like in MW. Or even older design gates like beta gates.

squirrelking
October 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
RAINBOW COLOURED!!

Yea, I'd say it's just different technology. Different look. I'd like to see red. That would be freaky. Walking into a blood coloured thing.

StoyBoy720
October 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
It'll surely be a different color or some kind. Gotta love production design choices.

It would be nice to get an "in continuity" reason for the coloring differences.

quade_1
October 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
hows about this for a gate?
http://fc35.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2007/365/0/5/Unknown_Galaxy_Gate_Wip_2_by_Mallacore.jpg

Mallacore is a talented 3D modeller, here is my favorite one
http://fc86.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/175/a/e/SG_Size_Chart_with_Names_1_by_Mallacore.jpg

Boon
October 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
My guess would be to do with local resources. It seems a little more reasonable to build the gates insitu with local materials instead of in the milky way and ship them out.

Alteran of Atlantis
October 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My theory is that the chevron color destinates different galaxies. Don't know abut the Ida gates, though.

Athosian Death facilitator
October 30th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Atlantis gates were build million of years later then original ones, so I think that ancients just updated gate seeding machine, thats way atalntis gates does not have iner circle which moves. It's like Stargate v2.0 and NOTHING special about color.

To those who thinks that different color = range, so please explain why gates within pegasus all are blue? Planets are closer then galaxies, so for short range there should be red gates.

Anyway I expect that when team arives to destiny(or w/e it's called) there should be old design gates like in MW. Or even older design gates like beta gates.

Just because there have been no mention of visual indication of an orange colored shevron milky-way system gate(other than the pegasus project!!)
doesn't mean there aren't any.

Just saying... do not be so... skeptical.

Athosian Death facilitator
October 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM
http://fc35.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2007/365/0/5/Unknown_Galaxy_Gate_Wip_2_by_Mallacore.jpg

http://fc86.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/175/a/e/SG_Size_Chart_with_Names_1_by_Mallacore.jpg

excalibur be the shiz!!!!!!

Betelgeuze
October 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Maybe the Ida galaxy is one of the satellite galaxies of MW galaxy. If the Ida galaxy is relatively close to the MW it would explin why the Asgard were so involved in the affairs of the MW, and why the gates are the same.

Darkstar 2.0
October 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Technically the MW Stargates and indeed the PG stargates to a greter or lesser degree are not made int their entirety of metal, they as you will probbly know are made of stone, the Naquahdah mineral that the Ancients discovered could work as a conductor of great power.
Is it possible that the glowing of the Chevrons of which their are 9 on the outer circumference of the Gate are said mineral conducting power from the other corrosponding gate and being apmlified as a visual glow at these points, now since the materials maye well differ slightly in the PG galaxy the Chevrons appear blue, also the colouration of the gate ring itself is the result of either alloyed materials of Naquahdah with something else.

On a side note, the PG gates don't seem from what I have seen, to have any special advantage over the MW gates even though they are newer and funky looking lol.

It's a shame they never went into too much detail as to what made the Gates, obviously we are not looking at some variation of metalurgy wherin the composition of the metals infused with Naquahdah gives off a similar glow in the same fashion as burning metals:

ie. copper burns green in which case a copper alloyed gate for whatever reason could glow green and be a rather detrimental electrical conductor to outside lightning but a good coduction of heat also.

If they really want to get tech savvy with the Stargate then why not have the symbols on the actual stargate be a visual display as opposed to a spinning or rotating analogue system, the symbols can be updated and chnaged where ever needed, also the DHD for the sake of being showy and tech savvy, not to mention blow a huge hole in the production budget of the show be a touch screen system wherin the Symbols on the can be viewed in 3D interactive and with a very clever corrosponding Starmap along side it, to show exacly where the location of the other gate is, since many subsequent civilisations powerful or capable enough use Hyperdrive and map the stars anyway...it only makes sense to fuse the two technologies anyway...the merging of two eras, one the analogue and tried and tested method of on foot Stargate travel, and the follow on advancement to powerful Starships?

Just a though ;)

ph30nix
October 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM

..... the fenrir and the pheonix are friggin vindicators from Wing Commander...

and the smalles ship is just a friggen bearcat

nice detail though

rsanchez
October 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Why do you keep saying Ida gates? We only ever saw one gate from the Ida galaxy. For all we know, that particular gate was given to the Asgard by the Ancients when they met in the planet of the four races shown on Torment of Tantalus. If there was a gate system throughout the Ida galaxy, the Asgard would have had no need of advancing their hyperspace technology so far.

stargabb
October 31st, 2008, 01:55 AM
well i have seen yellow and purple chevrons on some sgu concept art so we will just have to wait and see

Puddle-Jumper
October 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Why do you keep saying Ida gates? We only ever saw one gate from the Ida galaxy. For all we know, that particular gate was given to the Asgard by the Ancients when they met in the planet of the four races shown on Torment of Tantalus. If there was a gate system throughout the Ida galaxy, the Asgard would have had no need of advancing their hyperspace technology so far.

Thats actually very true....

flea247
November 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
i hope they are green, i think it would go well with some of the concept art ive seen.

Diablo_719
November 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
So I was wondering...Is there going to be a massive cargo bay aboard the Destiny (or the ship ahead of it planting the Stargates) full of pre-Fabricated agtes, or will the ship(s) have the ability and intelligence (Onboard AI??) to mine Naquedah and fabricate Stargates from the raw materials?

rarocks24
November 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
It synthesizes raw Naquadah from other base metals from the planet its going to leave the Stargate at.

4EverFree
November 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I would imagine they would have to locate planets or other celestial bodies with the raw materials to extract, and the ship would do the fabrication. Or maybe the ship can convert any type of matter into Naquedah. I also wonder if there will be any terra-forming involved.

SG-17
November 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Or it has a matter converted.

bfldworker
November 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
From everything I have read about Stargate Universe. It seems that this ship was sent before Atlantis was built. If it has matter conversion technology. Wouldn't you think it would have shown up somewhere in either SG1 or Atlantis?

There may be terraforming involved being almost every gate that is Planetside is on a planet that is Minshara class (Star trek I know, but Scientists here and now are using it).

There are a TON of questions surrounding SGU that everyone wants to know the answers to and we can only guess until they are answered in the show (if ever)

RepliVeggie
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
I all ways assumed the first ship was just full of stargates. But now that I think about it. It would have to have some way of creating gates to go for a really long period of time.

ASAKATA
November 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Wait, I thought the Stargates in the Pegasus were created out of something else, they never mention Naquada in PG. If that is true, would it stand to reason that a stargate can be created from other materials?

boeli
November 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Orlin managed to make one wothout naquadah so it seems reasonable that they could make it out of other materials

Olz
November 3rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Wait, I thought the Stargates in the Pegasus were created out of something else, they never mention Naquada in PG. If that is true, would it stand to reason that a stargate can be created from other materials?

Actually they have mentioned that pegasus gates use Naquada as well. SG Atlantis S05E11, Zelenka says: "Mm. the gates are made of naquadah."

and if u remember, Orlin's gate worked just once. Meaning that naquadah is probably really important for Stargates to keep working stable for long time.

and i believe that the ship can create those stargates with similar technology that Merlin used to create the Sangraal weapon (his device created Sangraal from 'nothing'). That device probably can creat automatically unlimited number of stargates.

Even Asgard had similar technology (SG1- S10E20), so of cource Ancient have been able to create that kind of technology. I mean, they were by far more smarter and advanced than Asgards

toby1kanobi
November 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
From everything I have read about Stargate Universe. It seems that this ship was sent before Atlantis was built. If it has matter conversion technology. Wouldn't you think it would have shown up somewhere in either SG1 or Atlantis?

There may be terraforming involved being almost every gate that is Planetside is on a planet that is Minshara class (Star trek I know, but Scientists here and now are using it).

There are a TON of questions surrounding SGU that everyone wants to know the answers to and we can only guess until they are answered in the show (if ever)

atlantis HAS matter conversion tech thats how mckay made the nanites for f.r.a.n

Arrakis2013
November 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
One stargate onboard Destiny. As for the advance ship, we'll see in the premiere. Now I wonder if Destiny has a DHD or a different kind of computer system. It seems like from what I've read that they can go to planets with new gates from Destiny but they can't back to old ones.

toby1kanobi
November 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I think different gate colors is just made for fun of the show. Because the IDA's galaxy gates is same as MW(the fifth race episode)

the kilkey way and asgard galaxy gates ore older (think about it) both gates are analoggue dialers where the gate spins to encode each shevron whereas the pegasus and ori gates are more sleek digital dialers (there thinner 2) perhaps these are examples of mk1 and mk2 gates perhaps the purple gate is a prototype built for the destiny or it may be a mk3 gate. maybe the mark2 gate has a better sixs hevron range and use less power. if the purple gate is a prototype this may be why the expodition is stuck with the dstinys course (the prototype gat can only make an outgoing conection at extream close range) it can be dialed from anywhere but cant dial far

MegaR
November 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
matter converters cost to much energy to make gates is my guess.
only to keep the ship active for so long jumping in and out of hyperspace for centuries must be power by like 500 zpm's :P (ok maby 10 but still much)

Gmandex
November 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Yes that's a good point how do they keep the ship powered if it's still doing it's job after ten thousand years. Do they have like a Project Arcturus on it or something?

ASAKATA
November 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yes that's a good point how do they keep the ship powered if it's still doing it's job after ten thousand years. Do they have like a Project Arcturus on it or something?

It is doubtful, because Project Arcturus was developed after, and I mean way after that experiment began, possibly millions of years AFTER. Maybe an energy source which was a precurser to the ZPM? Maybe energy harvested from natural phenomena along the way. Cant wait to find out though

Voxyn
November 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
My bet is that the ship harvests interstellar hydrogen and hydrogen from any gas giant planets it comes across to power a fusion reactor.
It would need to have massive storage tanks for the long trips between galaxies though.

ASAKATA
November 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Good thought, which brings me to a question, and it might be dumb, but in the grand scheme of things, Is the power from a fusion reactor less advanced than a ZPM, dont laugh, Im just not sure. I cant remember which one our scientists cannot achieve but could be the solution to all the worlds problems, Nuclear Fusion or Fission, I think its the latter

jenks
November 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Fission is the one used in nuclear power plants, I'm pretty sure fusion has been achieved too, but it's just always taken more power to achieve than it's produced.

ASAKATA
November 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Now Im confused, what is the Suns method of energy production, this is the the energy production I was talking about, Clean energy that is supposed to be the cheapest to produce?

ASAKATA
November 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Never mind, google is awesome, its fusion

auror
November 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Now Im confused, what is the Suns method of energy production, this is the the energy production I was talking about, Clean energy that is supposed to be the cheapest to produce?

Hydrogen bonds together under intense gravitational pressure, and forms various types of helium. The helium can combine together to make heavier kinds of matter... During this process large amounts of energy are released. Fusion is regarded as perhaps the only process where more energy is produced then is put in.

ASAKATA
November 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
So to harness this energy, not as efficient as a ZPM then? Which yields more energy

MegaR
November 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
it probably deployed the stargates it had in the cargobay already and is going in circles now. else theres no life on the planet for the story.

GateFanSamJack
November 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I want them to be able to bring the stargates aboard for maintenance/testing. This'll give them an excuse to have rails, cranes, and seams (movable walls) in the corridors to accommodate them. Then, they can have a totally modular set and move stuff out of the way for camera operators and make a lot of different sets from just a few pieces. A ship that can change has more possibilities for stories and for a change in ambience in later seasons, too.

Roidzy
November 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Here is a question I haven't really looked on other threads so I don't know if it has already been asked. Its simply what will the design be like for the Stargates that are in SGU, will they follow the more analogue design in SG1 or the digital one from Atlantis or something completely different?

I think that they will be completely different to keep inline the the "new series, new stargate" type of mindset, but if thats so that means that neither the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies have being 'touched by Destiny.' anyways just my thoughts

fwupow
November 5th, 2008, 12:13 AM
You might find this page helpful:
http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/100.shtml

The crew is supposed to reside in the Destiny and it will travel along behind another ship which is seeding the universe with Stargates.
By the sound of things, these gates will be of an even older design than those in SG-1.

Apparantly the seeding ship is some sort of automated factory, which would need to at least gather raw matter now and then to make Stargates out of. It'll be interesting to find out how it gets it's energy.

This is one thing I have found curiously missing in both previous Stargate series--We almost never see any of the manufacturing facilities for Goa'uld or Ancient's ships and technology.

The Ancients built the ZPM's but we never see any facility where they were built, nor has McKay dug up the the specs and manufacturing instructions in the Ancient's database.

Roidzy
November 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Thank you very much, that was very helpful.

This is one thing I have found curiously missing in both previous Stargate series--We almost never see any of the manufacturing facilities for Goa'uld or Ancient's ships and technology.

Yes i think many people have wondered this over the years, well at least me. Can't wait to see what SGU.

kymeric
November 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Well its done seeding stargates now so i bet its empty. i wonder wut its programed to do when its done? ;)

toby1kanobi
November 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Here is a question I haven't really looked on other threads so I don't know if it has already been asked. Its simply what will the design be like for the Stargates that are in SGU, will they follow the more analogue design in SG1 or the digital one from Atlantis or something completely different?

I think that they will be completely different to keep inline the the "new series, new stargate" type of mindset, but if thats so that means that neither the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies have being 'touched by Destiny.' anyways just my thoughts
FINIALY A PERSON WHO ALSO THINKS THE PEGASUS GATES MAY BE A KIND OF MARK2 GATE (BY BEING DIGITAL) somebody on this thread also speculated if the destiny may be powered by a version of project acturis, i too have been arduing this point (see timeline of the ship launch forum)

jenks
November 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM
FINIALY A PERSON WHO ALSO THINKS THE PEGASUS GATES MAY BE A KIND OF MARK2 GATE (BY BEING DIGITAL) somebody on this thread also speculated if the destiny may be powered by a version of project acturis, i too have been arduing this point (see timeline of the ship launch forum)

The Pegasus gates are no more digital than the Milky Way ones, other than the display... :rolleyes:

toby1kanobi
November 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Technically the MW Stargates and indeed the PG stargates to a greter or lesser degree are not made int their entirety of metal, they as you will probbly know are made of stone, the Naquahdah mineral that the Ancients discovered could work as a conductor of great power.
Is it possible that the glowing of the Chevrons of which their are 9 on the outer circumference of the Gate are said mineral conducting power from the other corrosponding gate and being apmlified as a visual glow at these points, now since the materials maye well differ slightly in the PG galaxy the Chevrons appear blue, also the colouration of the gate ring itself is the result of either alloyed materials of Naquahdah with something else.

On a side note, the PG gates don't seem from what I have seen, to have any special advantage over the MW gates even though they are newer and funky looking lol.

It's a shame they never went into too much detail as to what made the Gates, obviously we are not looking at some variation of metalurgy wherin the composition of the metals infused with Naquahdah gives off a similar glow in the same fashion as burning metals:

ie. copper burns green in which case a copper alloyed gate for whatever reason could glow green and be a rather detrimental electrical conductor to outside lightning but a good coduction of heat also.

If they really want to get tech savvy with the Stargate then why not have the symbols on the actual stargate be a visual display as opposed to a spinning or rotating analogue system, the symbols can be updated and chnaged where ever needed, also the DHD for the sake of being showy and tech savvy, not to mention blow a huge hole in the production budget of the show be a touch screen system wherin the Symbols on the can be viewed in 3D interactive and with a very clever corrosponding Starmap along side it, to show exacly where the location of the other gate is, since many subsequent civilisations powerful or capable enough use Hyperdrive and map the stars anyway...it only makes sense to fuse the two technologies anyway...the merging of two eras, one the analogue and tried and tested method of on foot Stargate travel, and the follow on advancement to powerful Starships?

Just a though ;)

THAT IS THE BEST IDEA IVE EVER READ, but how about i holo interface where rather than dialing an address you just reach out and "touch" the planet you want

Darkstar 2.0
November 7th, 2008, 02:31 AM
THAT IS THE BEST IDEA IVE EVER READ, but how about i holo interface where rather than dialing an address you just reach out and "touch" the planet you want

It makes sense since the use of space capable ships go hand in hand with the Stargates, star constellations in the MW corrospond to the symbols on the MW stargates, and the Pegasus gates have their own symbols relating to their own variations of stars in their galaxy.

You would still need to know the constellations of the planets I guess for the planet you wish to go to, but an interface with a memory of world like the Earth dialing computer can simply pull up any address that relates to the planet, but these do not include worlds where there are no gates nearby and are of value to races with ships, nor does it take into consideration spacal anomalies that would affect wormholes and the territories of space faring races and boarders to them.

The old gates seem to be a method for which less advanced races get around the galaxies, ships for space-Stargates and Hyperspace for advanced races and aliens who may not know of the gates yet such as for one old example the Aschen.

BUT! as we know Earth uses the symbols and constellations to map space, but no known stargates have this incorporated into their systems, space gates could make great use of this design.

Also the latter is just eye candy, having a super advanced DHD and Stargate that moves away from the age old norms and brings with it many ew possibilities of what the Stargate can do.

TPTB have come up with many uses for the Stargate, in theory there are many features of the Stargate that could be the norm for advanced species such as time travel instead of gate travel, therfore a more informative DHD and computer interface would be useful......I guess the ancients never wanted such, shall we say..side effects of the Stargate made public, such as Alternate Realities, Time travel and so on...but if they changed their minds and perfected the NEWER GATES...then the designs could be vastly different from what we have seen!

Phew what a essay haha! :D

Roidzy
November 7th, 2008, 04:18 AM
The Pegasus gates are no more digital than the Milky Way ones, other than the display...

Thats what was meant? They are different and perhaps the SGU ones will be to.

somebody on this thread also speculated if the destiny may be powered by a version of project acturis, i too have been arduing this point (see timeline of the ship launch forum)

Possible but with the destruction of a solar system, wouldn't it be a little risky. I was thinking more on the lines of the Attero device which sucks power out of subspace, seeming as though the ships have to be in hyperspace most of the time it stands to follow.

Anything that can sustain that kind of power for 10 000+ years has to be cool.

GraceONeill
November 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Just a though ;)

That is quite a thought :)
I think that is a really good idea, especially since they seem to want to make SGU more "new" and "different"

felixtcat
November 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a feeling the gate colors are as stated by a few Just Versions like V1.0 V2.0 ect

And by the statement The Stargate Universe gate should be atleast one of the Gates we have seen. the reason I see this is because they admitted the Universe ship was sent to seed the universe before the "Anchients" Ascended and stopped using gates ect.. so I dont think they created a new V3.0 if anything it may be a Beta Gate of v1.0 or something.. The only question about Universe is if the ship was found on earth why are they only finding it now? was it out of faze? or maybe hidden inside the moon or something because I swear they have scanned the earth and stuff , I dunno also if you can not stop the ship and it searches out all the seeded gates does that mean we will see months/years of technical years that is.. of gates in the milky way and pegasis galaxy? or does it Jump to a SUPER WARP to gates that have never been Accessed before? because in the MW and PG there has been stated hundreds if not thousands gates in the each galaxy.

so to avoid the repeditive gates we already seen I bet its got a failsafe to explore Gates that have never been activated, and it jumps to those gates

it will be interesting to see either way, and I cant see there being many humans on these planets or Tech from the achients due to the fact it was A ROBOT ship seeding. I can see some great ideas and also see some Die hards Ripping the series apart with facts on how it cant be this way because of..... etv

mgf
November 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Orlin managed to make one wothout naquadah so it seems reasonable that they could make it out of other materials

Sure if Jack (McGyver) O'Neil made transporters rings out of bits of metal found in Stargate command, then you wont need "naquadah" to build Stargates.:cameron:

Think about it, when building proto types in today’s industrized world, then the Ancients surly would have built Stargates out of some other type of material before decideing to build them with "naquadah".

Darkstar 2.0
November 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Maybe the SGU gates will be the oldest versions of Stargates we will see, earlier than the the SG1 MW Stargates, pretty quaint, but!..also very fantastical, instead of being simply a tool of ordinary Naquadah ring with symbols that rotate, maybe they are ornate works of art, boardering on the line of fantasy-esque?

Gate's that relate to certain beliefs of the Ancient's, gates that are adorned with carved symbolic art in them, and other Stargates that are the later additions, maybe when the Ancients first started out they didn't put too much effort into making the Stargates bland, all the same, maybe some worlds relate to themes in the Ancient way of life.

Some in Stargate Universe could be fantastical gates, some the Gates we've come to know and others the gates we would never imagined of, like holographic matter projected temporary gates that can dissapear and reappear as neded?

Platschu
November 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I could imagine a "chamelon stargate" on the board of Destiny, which will change its own chevron colour in which network the ships is. ;)

Darkstar 2.0
November 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM
^ I like that, The Chamelion Stargate! :D green:D

Ganthet Jr.
November 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
i hope they are green, i think it would go well with some of the concept art ive seen.

You've seen concept art of the gate? Where? We've seen purple chevrons on gateworld's news announcements of SGU being greenlit, but those weren't production artwork, it was just Gateworld guessing and they said as much. Unless you've actually seen something we haven't...

felixtcat
November 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
each planet the gate chevron will be a diffrent color lol

and when they hit the christmas planet it will be red.green, yellow,blue BLINKING

and on the easter planet pale pinks and blues

on the holloween planet blood red, black and orange

:)

GraceONeill
November 10th, 2008, 02:00 AM
each planet the gate chevron will be a diffrent color lol

and when they hit the christmas planet it will be red.green, yellow,blue BLINKING

and on the easter planet pale pinks and blues

on the holloween planet blood red, black and orange

:)

:lol:

But I think I would prefer green gates, don't know why, just think it will look really good.

toby1kanobi
November 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
it has occured to me that thee may be one or more sister ships to the destiny (dont shoot me just yet) the MW gates and the IDA gate/gates are essentially the same but the ORI and Pegasus gates are (as some of you agree) mk2 gates, perhaps the mk2 gates were placed by a sister ship (or destiny placed the Pegasus/Ori getes and a difrent ship placed MW/IDA) and not the destiny my two pionts are 1-how could a loan automated ship make/place gates of various types and why not just use one type of gate, and 2-a single ship traveling the entire universe placing gates would take an astronomicaly long time just to do a galaxy let alone millions. even if the destiny was capable of near limitless speed (think infinite improbability drive) lets say travel between planets for each gate is near instantaneus then how long to plant a gate, Calibrate, catalogue, plant, install coralitave update, hook up to dhd (ground gate) test remote dhd link and 'station holding' thrusters (space gate), test dialing system, test wormhole stability, set course, engage drive. and nobody please say this could be done onboard (IVE ALLREADY THOUGHT OF THAT) the gate would never be made operational onboard incase the gate was faulty and blew, a gate detination would cripple or most likely destroy the ship, so lets say that takes an hour, not so long i hear you say, now times that by millions of millions. a single ship would take aeons just to cover a galaxy

lunarleviathan
November 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I really hope they just go with the classic gates. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Puddle-Jumper
November 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I could imagine a "chamelon stargate" on the board of Destiny, which will change its own chevron colour in which network the ships is. ;)

That is actually an awesome idea!!!!!

Well done sir/mam

I really do hope that there is a different color for each galaxy, the ancients could create some seriously advanced AI (asurans) so maybe the destiny was programmed to vary the gate design and color corresponding to some code, color for galaxy and maybe as the computer runs its own simulations and such and it may find a more efficient gate design so then it implements that into the next galaxy it seeds...

It seems pretty obvious at this stage that tptb only changed the color and design for atlantis just for the sake of it and to try and differ atlantis from SG1 but it would be nice if they worked it into the plot

Again chamleon gate.....

Awesome idea...

Also there was another post saying that the DHD should have a starmap on it and a touchscreen interface, that would be class!!!

jrd231
November 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
RAINBOW COLOURED!!

Yea, I'd say it's just different technology. Different look. I'd like to see red. That would be freaky. Walking into a blood coloured thing.

I think you're mis-interpreting what they mean by colored gate. The Milky Way gate has red chevrons and the Pegasus gates have greenish/blue lights that light up instead of the big red chevrons in Milky Way. The topic isn't about the color of the event horizon.

sparkygate
November 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna with purple here, seems like something the ancients would use for their first gates.

Lynx121
November 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Ok I Think We Have Been Wondering What The Stargate Universe Gate Will Look Like As The Stargate SG-1 Gate And Stargate Atlantis Gates Where Diffrent SG-1 Being Red Lighted And Stone Inner-Ring And Atlantis Being Blue Lighted With Electronic Inner-Ring

What Will The Universe One Be Like ? ..

Green Lights ? ...
Yellow Lights ? ...
Orange Lights ? ...

And Inner-Ring ? ...

Plexiglass With Stone Symbols In The Plexiglass ?...
Stone Like SG-1 ?...
Electronic Like Atlantis ?...

Or Maybe Something Completely Diffrent Who Knows

Please Post What You Think It Would Be Like

Cheers,
Lynx
:ronan:

GateFanSamJack
November 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
Seriously, it seems like this show will need to address gates being moved around and they should ask whoever will be moving them around if there are any features they want to see (such as places to put clamps).

Lynx121
November 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah I Would Really Like The Gates Being Orange Lighted With Plexiglass And Stone Symboled Inner-rings

Stone Being Inset in the Plexiglass

___
/ -- \
___

_____ > being inner ring

------ > being symbols

Cheers,
Lynx

To'kraWarrior
November 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
SG1 and Atlantis, Since the Destiny's mission was to seed Stargates in the the Universe, I don't think there's a reason it should be different.

jenks
November 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
SG1 and Atlantis, Since the Destiny's mission was to seed Stargates in the the Universe, I don't think there's a reason it should be different.

No it wasn't, the Destiny is the ship that follows up on the already seeded Stargates.

Lynx121
November 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
They will proberly be the sg-1 gates as they are the oldest design because remeber atlantis is only sumwhat 10,000 + years old

Lynx

KRiZ
November 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Atlantis is like 5 million years old, the ancients just sank it 10,000 years ago

Valtharus
November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
It should have a rotating inner ring, after all the pegasus gates were made after the MW ones, and I guess improved upon...Destiny is older, so I am guessing it would utilise the older technology of a rotating wheel?

Anubis10545
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
It should have a rotating inner ring, after all the pegasus gates were made after the MW ones, and I guess improved upon...Destiny is older, so I am guessing it would utilise the older technology of a rotating wheel?

I was about to say the same thing. For the color of the chevrons though, it's likely to be purple because of the images we've seen so far... although green wouldn't be too bad.... Maybe instead of a circle, the Stargate's a square :)

Edi
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Purple, it should look great it purple!

bungeeguy245
November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
I think it will be the cheapest thing possible so that money is not wasted since either it will be good and they will then cancel the series, or it will suck and they will cancel the series.

E.D.E.N.
November 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Here's a thought........................

Expanding on the idea that all gates (in Universe) are made from materials local to the host planet, that they might differ in design from one galaxy to the next. To realize not every galaxy will have Naquada so the finished product might have different results given how close the relative raw material is to Naquada. Unless of course each Stargate comes complete with a finishing paint job! I just don't expect the Ancients would have cared about that sort of thing in launching a project of this magnitude, no matter how vaine and ignorant they might have been.

Blistna
November 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM

I know someone else said it...but come on!!! Its not the seeder ship.

And I'm with everyone sorta...it shouldn't change (the gate design) but you know it will. I think purple....i dunno, just seems right to me.

Anon
November 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM
and what about the iris, even though there is a thread for that

GateFanSamJack
November 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Would green interfere with computer graphics? I'm sure they can put a digital jig over anything green, but, when building from the ground up, they might not need to bother.

Spimman
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I like the idea that some could be different depending on local materials. Although it will likely differ just because it is a new series and we won't be given any explanation, but it will primarily be the same with some superficial changes.

4EverFree
November 24th, 2008, 07:29 AM
It has to spin. It's so much cooler if it spins! (according to Gen Hammond in "200")

chewie2020
November 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
i like to think the gates will look similar to the ring transports from the ori, tht cream effect, and the lights itself will be the same of a yellow white tinge to them.
but i guess due to cost it probably be altered gates from sg1 and atlantis as universe won't last tht long due to the economy of today and how much the series will cost (big playground to fill with good stories) - new writers would help.
don't get me wrong i'll watch the series but im not tht excited abt it as i was for atlantis

GateFanSamJack
November 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Escapism flourishes in a bad economy

ha'tak_
November 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ok I Think We Have Been Wondering What The Stargate Universe Gate Will Look Like As The Stargate SG-1 Gate And Stargate Atlantis Gates Where Diffrent SG-1 Being Red Lighted And Stone Inner-Ring And Atlantis Being Blue Lighted With Electronic Inner-Ring

What Will The Universe One Be Like ? ..

Green Lights ? ...
Yellow Lights ? ...
Orange Lights ? ...

And Inner-Ring ? ...

Plexiglass With Stone Symbols In The Plexiglass ?...
Stone Like SG-1 ?...
Electronic Like Atlantis ?...

Or Maybe Something Completely Diffrent Who Knows

Please Post What You Think It Would Be Like

Cheers,
Lynx

have it green lights and i tink it whould look kinda like the atlantis ones , they are cool

Shpinxinator
November 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I had a dream about this...

And in that dream I saw the ancients resetting the symbols on the ship's gate before every jump and I got to thinking....what if the gate on the ship isn't a separate piece unto it self but actually built into the ship's hull more like an archway than a traditional gate and instead of the symbols being around it they are along the top and change with each jump

Col.Ads
November 25th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Would have to be the older looking Stargates, if the original ship was sent out in order to seed the stargates before the Ancients left for Atlantis it stands to reason that the gates will be the style of the ones in the milky way and ida.

Osiristi
November 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I have to with Sphinxinator's idea with this one: It must be some sort of super-hyper-pro-stargate. :)

senois
November 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
They will proberly be the sg-1 gates as they are the oldest design because remeber atlantis is only sumwhat 10,000 + years old

Lynx

If its the case that they are lost in an old gate network it would have to be a simular style to the milky way gates .But if is a new network they will be more like the Atlantis style.I must aggree with Gen Hammond its much cooler if it spins.:hammond:

Quadhelix
November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Would have to be the older looking Stargates, if the original ship was sent out in order to seed the stargates before the Ancients left for Atlantis it stands to reason that the gates will be the style of the ones in the milky way and ida. Of course, if the Destiny's predecessor were responsible for seeding Stargates in Pegasus, then the Stargates encountered by the Destiny would have a design similar to the 'Gates in Pegasus.

Lynx121
November 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah Ages Old

But I Was Still Thinking
Purple Or Orange Lights (Chevrons) And The Inner Ring Rotates With A Stone Backing With A Plexiglass Front With The Symbols Set In The Plexiglass

This Would Be Cool And Would Look Rather Nice

Cheers,
Ed - Lynx

Jor El
December 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Has any one seen a Gate with all 9 Chevrons Exposed. If I remember correctly Ive only seen 7 Exposed except for SG1 Gate theres 8 Cause they dial Atlantis. Almost all other gates are burried under dirt. Speaking of which how do we dial back home when the gate needs to rotate to lock a symbol(Assuming were on a Planet where the gate is slightly below the surface(Still cant rotate)). Anyway so Im assuming we will find a gate at a secret Ancient Labratory where only there they will be able to Gate to Destiny. I hope we get a Daniel/Rodney OMG! Moment Like when they found out where Atlantis was. I bring up another Question. If Atlantis was programmed to take into account Stellar Drift and Change the gate location so people could gate to Atlantis, then logic would dictate that the Base that the 9th Chevron gate is located is programmed to do the same thing, if not then hopefully we will get carter daniel or rodney to adjust steller drift. Obviously Destiny is Mobile, so it has to have a program to adjust its gate. Im assuming Destiny will have several Ancient Class Warships at their disposal on board. Destiny DOES NOT HAVE A preprogrammed helm control like the seeder ship. So we could have several in-universe episode arcs. Theres no reason why we should have to jump from universe to universe every episode. Im concerned this will be Voyager all over again. Anyone thinking Borg Cube versus a Ancient Warship Battle. Im sure several Advanced Races may try to steal the Destiny or maybe help them get home.
I could babble on for hours about Destiny so im gonna stop. Anyone got any comments fell free.

Jor El

bfldworker
December 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Here is a picture of a MW gate. I labeled each Chevron with it's number.

http://www.radioshacksucks.biz/BFLD/stargate.jpg

Sorry about that. I honestly didn't know. I adjusted the picture to meet the rules.

greytop
December 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I believe SGA has some. They are the ones about the planet. Also when SG-1 moved a stargate and sent that one into a sun. (I may be wrong about that one, haven't seen the episode in quite awhile.)

Edit: You might want to put the picture about underneath spoilers. It is kind of big.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM
The 2 extra chevrons are under the ramp. When the whole gate is in view you can see them.

Milky Way Gate;
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1003-ThePegasusProject/screencaps/normal_sg1_1003_0408.JPG

Pegasus Gate;
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season1/102-RisingPart2/screencaps/normal_atl_102_2313.JPG

Interestingly the Asuran statelitte weapon from First Strike only had eight chevrons;

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/320-FirstStrike/screencaps/normal_atl_320_0678.JPG
But this is either an error or a one of a kind gate, the rest have 9 chevrons. You just don't see the bottom 2 because they're usually buried/under the ramp.

GateGipsy
December 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM
oooh good thread. I'd never realised that about the chevrons. Thanks for the pics.

Shpinxinator
December 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM
In the MG said the gate on the Destiny dialed in a "very cool way"...

Personally I think the gate won't be a normal ring but rather an arch way built into the hull of the ship itself with the chevrons in screens above it which appear digitally so they can change with each new gate system that's entered

GateGipsy
December 30th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Personally I think the gate won't be a normal ring but rather an arch way built into the hull of the ship itself with the chevrons in screens above it which appear digitally so they can change with each new gate system that's entered

do you think that it might be like this for space reasons - that destiny might be a smaller ship than we've been imagining?

Shpinxinator
December 30th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I considered that but...the Destiny is a long term exploration vessel...so...even if it had a way to renew it's owns resources it's crew probably wouldn't be able to handle being in tight spaces...the Ancients would have for seen that I believe...I don't think it's on the scale of Atlantis but it's probably bigger than say an Al'Kesh...I say it's probably the size of a Ha'tak...maybe slightly larger...The reason for the unique Gate is that standard glyph would have to change regularly...to me the ring style seems less practical

Mclean
December 30th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Good pics. Why does the Asuran gate only have 8 chevrons? Has it ever been explained?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Good pics. Why does the Asuran gate only have 8 chevrons? Has it ever been explained?

Not in the show. Mallozzi might have said something in his blog, but I don't follow it so I don't know.

jenks
December 30th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Probably a CG goof, they've done it a few times...

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Do you mean the CG people have goofed a few times, or have there been more gates with only 8 chevrons. If so which ones?

jenks
December 30th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Do you mean the CG people have goofed a few times, or have there been more gates with only 8 chevrons. If so which ones?

There have been a few CG gates with 8 chevrons, I couldn't name them all off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure the ones in BAMSR and GitM were.

Phenom
December 30th, 2008, 03:10 AM

Surely they can count to 9....I mean how hard is a little attention to detail?

Phenom
December 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Could be like the few seasons of Red Dwarf (English UK comedy) where they were stuck in a ship the size of a puddle jumper because the forgot where they parked their massive mother ship.

Automission
December 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah, could be a blank gate, with the ancient equivalent of a touch screen for glyphs/DHD. This way, the symbols can change from galaxy to galaxy. As for the gate dialling in a cool way, I'm not sure how it can be done.
I mean, I'm trying to imagine it dialling in a spectacular way, something really special, but I've got nothing. No doubt I'l be amazed when I see it. :)

Anon
December 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
good thread, good thread. *nods* *nods*. I would give you green if i could, but i cant, so spiritual greening.

Anon
December 30th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Surely they can count to 9....I mean how hard is a little attention to detail?

LITTLE? man that is hard to do, after they are all done, they are told that they are wrong? they use the same gate design in each frame, so you're saying that in every single frame that that version of the stargate is in they need to change it, that is SOOOOO much work, and money, money that they need for movies! No hard feelings though