PDA

View Full Version : With BSG over..Caprica T.V series redundant?

Vahnman
March 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I mean , what is the whole point of watching the Caprica series? We all know how it will end. There is no more big revelation I believe to keep that series interesting. What would that have to bait us to watch about a dead and decaying civilization? At least BSG always showed that is in the "now". Anyone?

Pharaoh Atem
March 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I mean , what is the whole point of watching the Caprica series? We all know how it will end. There is no more big revelation I believe to keep that series interesting. What would that have to bait us to watch about a dead and decaying civilization? At least BSG always showed that is in the "now". Anyone?

well i for one would like to know how that civilization decayed

Vahnman
March 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM
I believe THAT particular civilization was already decaying and then they created the Cylons. Which add to their laziness. It said so in the opening movie of BSG.

the fifth man
March 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
I will definitely be giving Caprica a shot. I think it will be interesting to see how things got so bad in that world.

DigiFluid
March 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
I don't see that it's redundant. By that logic, the entire BSG series is redundant by watching Daybreak; just doesn't make any sense.

Ishay
April 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
I will definitely be giving Caprica a shot. I think it will be interesting to see how things got so bad in that world.

not really bad but how the cylons came to be. caprica really is a the beginning of the last cycle. we get to see how Daniel created the 12 colony cylons and how zoe fits into the whole thing

pbellosom
April 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I don't see that it's redundant. By that logic, the entire BSG series is redundant by watching Daybreak; just doesn't make any sense.

Worryingly there are people with that attitude

blitzsnake
April 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I disagree with OP but I still ask him/her to continue to watch due to awesome acting from the likes of Eric Stoltz.

HAL2100
April 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hundreds of thousands of people went to see 'Titanic' even though they knew the ship sank. How many people say 'Revenge of the Sith' fully knowing that in the end the Jedi would be wiped out, Anakin Skywalker would be Darth Vader in black suit and Palpatine would be Emperor.

Its not about the destination, its about getting there. What were the events that led to the creation of the first generation of Centurions? Why did they develop a belief in a single God? What was the state of Colonial society in the time leading up to the first Cylon war? *How* did the first Cylon war begin? Who fired the first shot?

the fifth man
April 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
This series will definitely not be redundant to me. I look forward to seeing how these people, and Zoe, fit into the BSG world. And into how the war first began.

Pharaoh Atem
April 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM
This series will definitely not be redundant to me. I look forward to seeing how these people, and Zoe, fit into the BSG world. And into how the war first began.

me too :)

i think the cylon war could be a series in itself

HAL2100
April 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM
me too :)

i think the cylon war could be a series in itself

I wonder if there was a Cylon Pearl Harbor or a Cylon 9/11 where the Centurions did a flat out terrorist-like attack.

AeronPeryton
April 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I wonder if there was a Cylon Pearl Harbor or a Cylon 9/11 where the Centurions did a flat out terrorist-like attack.

I imagine that they'll take a lot of elements out of the 1970s BSG when the series hits that point. But since the Cylons are Man's creation and not robots made by a reptilian race anymore it might not play out the same. I, however, can imagine a Battlestar peace envoy meeting the Cylons someplace remote and getting the royal **** kicked out of them for their trouble.

Also the Adama and Cain flashbacks from Razor seem to hint that the Cylons drove humanity from the primary colonies into remote regions ala the Rebels from Star Wars and forced Humans to go guerrilla against them until the war ended with the Cylons retreating back into "their space".

After Caprica I don't doubt for a second SciFi would immediately green light a "Fall of Man" series taking place during the first Cylon war. BSG's own Clone Wars (In my cautious opinion, the best part of Star Wars to date).

pbellosom
April 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Doesn't the nuking of the twelve colonies count?

HAL2100
April 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Also the Adama and Cain flashbacks from Razor seem to hint that the Cylons drove humanity from the primary colonies into remote regions ala the Rebels from Star Wars and forced Humans to go guerrilla against them until the war ended with the Cylons retreating back into "their space".

Do you mean the primary colonies as in Caprica, Tauron, etc or the colonies of the Colonies? I'm thinking its the later, especially given the references that the Centurions had been used for non-miltary applications such as mining.

HAL2100
April 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Doesn't the nuking of the twelve colonies count?

Actually no, because I was referring to the First Cylon War, not the Attack on the Colonies.

AeronPeryton
April 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Do you mean the primary colonies as in Caprica, Tauron, etc or the colonies of the Colonies? I'm thinking its the later, especially given the references that the Centurions had been used for non-miltary applications such as mining.

I'm going to have to watch the extended cut of Razor again, but wasn't a child Cain hiding in a storage crate when Cylons attacked her village? Did that take place on a homeworld colony or a refugee colony?

Puddle-Jumper
May 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

Its not really about how it ends, its more about knowing the full story, how the cylons rose to power, rebelled etc. Its about knowing the full picture basically and all the small details that are missing. Also toward the end of the show it was said that caprica was destroyed because the society had reached a point where technology had run amuck etc and now we will get a chance to see that,

The show is about giving us a full picture of the galactica universe basically, and of course there will be big revelations, if you knew that galactica would end with them finding a new earth would that ruin the entire show for you? No, it wouldn't at all, its not about the destination and how it ends, its about the journey.

Trig
May 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM

We know your life will end one day, so whats the point in carrying on?:confused:

GateMan2000
May 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM
I thought the Caprica piolet was awesome! I am giving this show a shot.

Trig
May 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
I agree, I wasn't excited about it tbh but after watching the pilot I'll be watching it..
Thats if it makes it out, theres been some good shows axed lately and I'd hate for something like this to either not get off the ground or for it to get cancelled before it actually finishes...

Admiral Mappalazarou
May 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM
What's the point in watching Caprica when we know that inevitably it will end with the Cylon War? Y'know I used to watch TSCC and you knew in that, that Judgement Day was inevitable - but it shot out a few surprises along the way. :cameron: Caprica isn't just for BSG fans, it's looking a new audience (which is why there are only so few BSG references in there).

the fifth man
May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'll watch because I want to see how the war comes about. See the mistakes that society makes.

lordofseas
September 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I'll watch it because the writers did good writing in BSG, and it looks like an interesting plotline. And I'm interested in history. :P

Confessor Rahl
September 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I quite liked the Caprica pilot, i'll definitely check it out, but I am keeping it completely, wholly independent of BSG, as it is intended to be. Same universe, some shared characters, but a different show.

the fifth man
September 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I quite liked the Caprica pilot, i'll definitely check it out, but I am keeping it completely, wholly independent of BSG, as it is intended to be. Same universe, some shared characters, but a different show.

That is very important for people to grasp going into it.

HAL2100
September 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM
That is very important for people to grasp going into it.

Not just same Universe - but different time frame. You could argue that a Stargate series that shows the rise of the Tok'ra and fight against the goa'uld from the start way, way back win up to the fall of Anubis would be redundant, but it ignores that plethora of stories to be told.

the fifth man
September 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Not just same Universe - but different time frame. You could argue that a Stargate series that shows the rise of the Tok'ra and fight against the goa'uld from the start way, way back win up to the fall of Anubis would be redundant, but it ignores that plethora of stories to be told.

I couldn't agree more.

Rush Fan
October 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I for one am also really excited for watching the series and I loved the pilot. I agree with everyone that say that they do not think the show will be redundant.

Replicator Todd
October 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ill give the show a try, but it really doesn't appeal to me at all.

HAL2100
October 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Asking this question is like asking, "What's the point of making a movie about the Titanic? We know its going to sink." or "What's the point of making the film 'The Perfect Storm', we know they all die."

DSG1
October 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Was never much of a BSG fan but, will give this a shot when it airs. Looks worth while.

HAL2100
October 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I honestly believe that you don't have to have seen BSG to appreciate it, but having seen it brings a lot of color and flavor to it. Namely, the origins of the Cylons belief in one true God and seeing how that belief would lead to the first war. If there is one true God, then He is the God of the Cylon and Human the same. How then could one enslave the other?

L-S
January 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

You mean a few bad eggs in the Caprican gov't work with some Cylon agents to blow up some buildings in Caprica City, and blame it on the Arabs? I mean, Cylons?

No, people would figure that out...totally unbelievable.

L-S
January 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Do people watch television because the stories are new? Or because of a new telling of an old story?

Riddle me this, fanbots...

If I said that I enjoyed the pilot episode, I would have to explain that I wished I had closed my eyes for a few of the wildly violent scenes in the virtual reality club. And that I paused the DVD and also perhaps used a slow-motion frame rate for some of the other very lovely and exciting scenes in the virtual reality club, on the unrated DVD. Yowza.

I also stumbled heavily over the premise - though not the execution of the concept. That is, the drama was well made, but the concept was...truly a 'take an infinite leap' science fiction gambit.

That looking at a person's credit card purchases, x-rays, report cards, and video images, will be sufficient, given an improvement of technology, to accurately and verisimilitudinously (did I just make that word upd?) recreate, to a father's 5 (or 6) senses, his deceased daughter, in voice, response, smell, touch, action, interaction, argument, physicality, emotionality, psychology, physiology, spirituality, astrology, and every other ology and ism you can name.

It is a grand sci-fi leap. Grander than warp drive, than reversing neutrino flows, than FTL drives, by far....

Do I believe it? No, not for a second. It is a reductionist concept, that throttles our current misunderstanding of DNA (as the 'God' molecule), into some sort of Richard Dawkin's inspired ecstatic oblivion.

It's asking the audience to have it both ways: A. We are nothing but machines, all of us. The soul is non-existent, reproducible by mounting a collection of ephemera and detritus into a silicon cylinder...

B. And that the soul exists, and that cylons have souls, are living, and are not 'just machines, ' but children of God, the ultimate creator, as are we all.

Which is it? Which will it be?

"Zoe" the collection of data will become the first cylon. A young girl, murdered, and re-birthed in a kind of hollow clone, visible only in a virtual reality...but then, loaded into a bulky, ugly, immensely powerful machine. The show is truly a retelling of any Frankenstein, or Prometheus tale, or story of a gollum, or an undead entity, a living ghost, a spirit made visible to the living -

As a viewer, I felt the repulsion and disturbance of feeling a young, lovely, rather naive and innocent girl stuffed into the robot body. Like the bride of Frankenstein - a once beautiful woman reassembled from corpses, and 'animated,' only to look on at her own horrible image.

It's a strange story. An unexpected place for the creators of the show to go. Worth watching? (Is TV worth watching, in general? Take that as a side question).

I will l see what you people say about the show on the web. That's probably good enough for me, until and if the DVD comes into easy accessibility...

kymeric
January 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Like others above me have said, the journey is more important than the end. Thats like saying lifes not worth living because i know im gonna die in the next 40-50 years no matter what I do in life. Soo defeatist.

At first I was just intrested in the Adama backstory and the birth of the Cylons. Now Im into the Greystones stories and Zoe and the Sisters at the school.

Dont go see Pearl Harbor then cuz we all know... THEY GET BLOWN UP BY THE JAPANESE! XD

Replicator Todd
January 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ill give the show a try, but it really doesn't appeal to me at all.

Woah, I said that?! :o I love this show...

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Don't go see Titanic because the ship sinks!

Briangate78
January 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Don't go see Titanic because the ship sinks!

LOL, no offense but Caprica is not directed by James Cameron, who is on his way to having the two top grossing movies of all time. "Titanic" and "Avatar".

I am not a big fan of prequels. It took Star Wars 3 movies to get a single prequel movie correct. I watched the pilot, and well Eric Stoltz was good but the rest of the cast especially the younger cast did not do it for me. The story was just not interesting enough to me, it's like yeah we knew what was going to happen since it happened before and will all happen again, lol, no pun intended.

I plan to just watch some old BSG eps............for you Starbuck fans, Katee Sackhoff is on 24, woo hoo! So have that as well to watch. :p

Replicator Todd
January 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
LOL, no offense but Caprica is not directed by James Cameron, who is on his way to having the two top grossing movies of all time. "Titanic" and "Avatar".

Yes well, in my opinion Titanic and Avatar aren't very good and overhyped. Money isn't everything!

Mongoletsi
January 26th, 2010, 01:03 AM

What a ridiculous thing to say.

We know Hitler survived the suitcase bomb, but we still watched Valkyrie (if you haven't, it's actually "okay" btw, better than expected). So I suppose it's a pointless movie?

Star Wars ep1-3?

X-Men Origins? Terminators? Forthcoming Alien prequel? Star Trek?

even The Hobbit?!?!

Pharaoh Atem
January 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM

We know Hitler survived the suitcase bomb, but we still watched Valkyrie (if you haven't, it's actually "okay" btw, better than expected). So I suppose it's a pointless movie?

Star Wars ep1-3?

even The Hobbit?!?!
green for you

HAL2100
February 4th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Star Wars ep1-3?

even The Hobbit?!?!

You left out Dad being in the waiting room to watch his child being born despite the fact that he knows how its going to end.

Jimmylad89
March 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hundreds of thousands of people went to see 'Titanic' even though they knew the ship sank. How many people say 'Revenge of the Sith' fully knowing that in the end the Jedi would be wiped out, Anakin Skywalker would be Darth Vader in black suit and Palpatine would be Emperor.

Its not about the destination, its about getting there. What were the events that led to the creation of the first generation of Centurions? Why did they develop a belief in a single God? What was the state of Colonial society in the time leading up to the first Cylon war? *How* did the first Cylon war begin? Who fired the first shot?

well said was gona say something similar myself

HAL2100
March 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Did we bring up Titanic?

Ukko
March 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Did we bring up Titanic?

Nope, its still at the bottom of the ocean:p

HAL2100
March 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
The Titanic is at the bottom of the ocean ?!

Pharaoh Atem
March 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM
The Titanic is at the bottom of the ocean ?!

your joking right ??

HAL2100
March 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
your joking right ??

What's next? Did the Space Shuttle Challenger blow up?