Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purpose of the Dollhouse? (spoilers for aired eps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpose of the Dollhouse? (spoilers for aired eps)

We've had it suggested that there's a bigger purpose to the Dollhouse than just providing fantasy fulfillment to the uber-rich. There's more than one House in existence and if the Professor dude is right, there is government involvement at the upper levels.

So what reason could there be for having something like the Dollhouse?

1. ZOMG! ALIENS! Heh. Just had to get that one out of the way. Sure, it could be a Hulu-esque plot to destroy/take over the world, but I'm not buying it. Yet.

2. World governments turning people into sheep (more so than they already are) to serve some grand design. Possible, I guess, but multiple governments working together? Why? To what purpose? To stop the aliens? LOL!

3. Doctor Horrible is really behind it all. As a "taking over the world" scheme it's an... interesting choice, but again, why this way? Turning the world's population into your willing slaves is all well and good, but it strikes me as a bit... boring? Other than stopping all (well, MOST, since there will always be some annoying rebel underground) opposition and making the world dance to your tune- literally, if you want- umm... Actually, I suppose that could be enough, but I still feel it lacks a certain elegance.

So... Theories, anyone? Is there some blatantly obvious reason I'm overlooking that would explain why world governments/supervillains would want to have a world full of puppets? Or is it as simple as trying to keep folks complacent and thus maintain the status quo?

I like your Doctor Horrible theory, after all the world is a mess and he just needs to rule it.

Comment

Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
      I like your Doctor Horrible theory, after all the world is a mess and he just needs to rule it.
      LOL! I don't think my poor delicate brain could handle that particular crossover (especially not with Felicia Day due to appear in an ep), but a generic villain might be a good Horrible substitute.

I will not mention keeping an eye out for the Doc in the Man on the Streets scenes because that would make me look weird and creepy and entirely too obsessive.

Comment

To rule the world. Comeon they got a pretty good plan going there.
        And here the clincher for me, and a little suggestion from doctor who for the plan, yes the rebels will be easily dealt with, with a simple order, hold a knife up to your throats, my minions, count to a hour, if the rebels do not surrender cut ones throat. If I die cut one throat, if the rebles seize my base cut one throats, any one other than me tries to give you a order, cut one throat, any resets with out my code, cut one throat .
        Hold the world to ransom and well unless they want 6 billion deaths on there hand they will surrender and proceed to the nearest programming centre, Back up plan nuclear annihilation if the suicide plot fails.

Plus there always the second option create a few controllable Alphas to hunt them down, it will not be pretty but it will be effective.

On a serious note so far pretty much all my ideas are a bit unoriginal.

Comment

I sure hope it isn't about some secret govt or private contractors developing a breed of invincible soldiers. Sounds too much like Dark Angel for my liking.

My speculation is that someone is trying to create a Utopia or Dystopia... to recreate the human race into something more obedient and pliable.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
            I sure hope it isn't about some secret govt or private contractors developing a breed of invincible soldiers. Sounds too much like Dark Angel for my liking.

My speculation is that someone is trying to create a Utopia or Dystopia... to recreate the human race into something more obedient and pliable.
            You mean like using PAX? Cause we all know that just doesn't end well.

Comment

Yeah, but if it was just a case of making folks pliable, why have a database of personalities for them? Just keep them in the tabula rasa state, right?

Comment

Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
                You mean like using PAX? Cause we all know that just doesn't end well.
                Yup, the PAX ended up *very very bad*.

I suppose it could be the super-soldier thing, but if it were a military organization, they wouldn't be wasting time having Doll prostitutes...unless they need the money from the powerful gov't men and we all know the best way to a power mogul's wallet is through his...uh...desires.

Probably not aliens, but I'm not leaving anything out.

Perhaps a few coups d'etats? Take over the world, but not in a Horrible way?

If Dr. Horrible is behind it, then it does make sense. "My wish is your command."

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

what is pax?

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    what is pax?
                    I think it was in the movie Serenity. Explains the origin of the Reavers. And I assume that isn't a spoiler, anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      I think it was in the movie Serenity. Explains the origin of the Reavers. And I assume that isn't a spoiler, anymore.
                      uh thanks. Yes alpha is there version of Reavers, except he way smarter, faster, and probably knows a lot more,.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                        Yup, the PAX ended up *very very bad*.

I suppose it could be the super-soldier thing, but if it were a military organization, they wouldn't be wasting time having Doll prostitutes...unless they need the money from the powerful gov't men and we all know the best way to a power mogul's wallet is through his...uh...desires.

Probably not aliens, but I'm not leaving anything out.

Perhaps a few coups d'etats? Take over the world, but not in a Horrible way?
                        I was kinda thinking PAX... but more Equilibrium. Can't remember what the substance in question there was.
                        However, I've changed my mind on this since the last episode. I'm sort of edging towards a kind of criminal rehabilitation programme which uses criminals to do difficult policing or military tasks.
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I doubt that is there purpose. That just where they get some of there stock from as well importing them from Russia.

Comment

There's probably the purpose all the peons think they're serving and then the real purpose that said peons have started to realize might be going on. Hence someone sending Echo out to give intel to FBI guy.
                            sigpic

Comment

Aparently to keep a firm grip on mind wipe technology. Stop it from being aquired by anyone else.

Like that professor guy said, about what would happen to humanity if the technology was real.

Comment

Working...
                              X