PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Worlds - $$$ problems

prion
March 18th, 2009, 04:00 AM
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/10158-dev-studio-behind-stargate-worlds-in-financial-trouble/

Dev studio behind Stargate Worlds in financial trouble

This time it wasn't Lord Anubis that is causing troubles for Stargate Worlds. Instead, it's lack of cash. (And we aren't talking space-bucks. Nope, just ole plain-Jane U.S currency.)

While it could only be a petty squabble or small misunderstanding, it seems that Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, developer of in-progress Stargate Worlds, is being sued by a data center business called IO Capital Princess, for an unpaid bill.

This isn't the first time Cheyenne Mountain has been in the red either. Late last year, a widely circulated story stated that they were unable to pay all of their employees, and another news story stated that were actively searching for new investors.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Pharaoh Atem
March 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM
face it stargate isn't going to get a game out.

every time their try something bad happens to the company making it

Descent
March 18th, 2009, 04:16 AM
face it stargate isn't going to get a game out.

every time their try something bad happens to the company making it

Seems that way! This is just sad though. Not getting paid for all of your hard work is.... messed up! :(

And now they got people at their door saying "Hey! Where's our money?!"

Hopefully they'll be able make it through all of these troubles, but I seriously doubt it at this point.

Pharaoh Atem
March 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
even if the game is finished and released doesn't mean it will sell. the games sales are the onyl way the delevopers may get paid

prion
March 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Seems that way! This is just sad though. Not getting paid for all of your hard work is.... messed up! :(

And now they got people at their door saying "Hey! Where's our money?!"

Hopefully they'll be able make it through all of these troubles, but I seriously doubt it at this point.

Alas, I read somewhere that it was notorious for game developers to make their programmers work long hours and screw them on pay. Guess this isn't much different. What's weird is that Stargate Worlds is sponsoring some race car, so they have to have money SOMEWHERE.

Wait, a bail out. They need a bail out!

Promethius30
March 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Alas, I read somewhere that it was notorious for game developers to make their programmers work long hours and screw them on pay. Guess this isn't much different. What's weird is that Stargate Worlds is sponsoring some race car, so they have to have money SOMEWHERE.

Wait, a bail out. They need a bail out!

to be fair if you read the article it says they put up no money for the sponsorship deal not sure how that works though

Agent_Dark
March 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
meh, pretty the end for the game now tbh. SGW needs to release before the upcoming Star Wars, Star Trek and Jumpgate Evolution MMO's to get good slice out of the sci-fi MMO genre otherwise it's going to be face vertical uphill challenge to find subscribers. With all these financial problems its having, it's for sure going to get some big delays in its release which will mean those other MMO's will release in the meantime and effectively cut off SGW from obtaining a large enough subscriber base to survive.

ben.dahan680
March 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
i want this game how long do we have to wait i mean it been what three years scinse the promised the alliance its jut not fair

Phenom
March 19th, 2009, 04:16 AM
to be fair if you read the article it says they put up no money for the sponsorship deal not sure how that works though

Gee a sponsorship that doesn't involve any money.....thats just a company doing something for free isn't it?? Would be a shame if the staff don't get whats owed to them. I hope they get are given the chance to finish the job and see their work come to fruition.

runnerX
March 19th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I knew they had problems with $$ for a couple of months but they said back then they will solve this quick... aparently not :(. they should have tried something more simple like a FPS shooter.

Pharaoh Atem
March 19th, 2009, 06:26 AM
time for a bake sale

leiasky
March 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
It's too bad they can't get their stuff together. Games are one of the best selling products in the marketplace even with the recession.

Chemp
March 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
time for a bake sale

carwash?

jelgate
March 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
carwash?

Lets auction off the moderators

chevron670
March 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
it was the same with the other stargate game they were making its like a curse

Pharaoh Atem
March 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM
carwash?

garage sale :jack:

Promethius30
March 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Gee a sponsorship that doesn't involve any money.....thats just a company doing something for free isn't it?? Would be a shame if the staff don't get whats owed to them. I hope they get are given the chance to finish the job and see their work come to fruition.

Something for free ???

Phenom
March 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Something for free ???

Yeah usually they pay money to put their stickers on race cars.

DigiFluid
March 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Really? A "studio" that doesn't have a single game under its belt, and its only work has taken four years--so far--is having trouble paying their bills? I'm shocked, just shocked.

Please note that the snark here is not directed at any posters, but rather at the studio that's taking way too long to work on their "hello world" title.

jenks
March 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Really? A "studio" that doesn't have a single game under its belt, and its only work has taken four years--so far--is having trouble paying their bills? I'm shocked, just shocked.

Please note that the snark here is not directed at any posters, but rather at the studio that's taking way too long to work on their "hello world" title.

Four years isn't a very long time for an MMO.

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
In today's gaming world and economy, it's a hell of a long time if you're a startup company.

Origin had been around since 1983 when Ultima Online appeared in 1997. Blizzard was gigantic before WoW came about. Verant took only 4 years on EverQuest, but that was with the backing and support of Sony.

jenks
March 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
In today's gaming world and economy, it's a hell of a long time if you're a startup company.

Origin had been around since 1983 when Ultima Online appeared in 1997. Blizzard was gigantic before WoW came about. Verant took only 4 years on EverQuest, but that was with the backing and support of Sony.

When they started though the economy was fine, well as far as anyone could tell anyway, and they're mostly veterans, some worked on WoW I believe. Not ideal I admit, but I wouldn't have thought securing funding would have seemed that much of a leap at the time, especially not with a relatively well known license like Stargate for their first project.

quade_1
March 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
When they started though the economy was fine, well as far as anyone could tell anyway, and they're mostly veterans, some worked on WoW I believe. Not ideal I admit, but I wouldn't have thought securing funding would have seemed that much of a leap at the time, especially not with a relatively well known license like Stargate for their first project.

While I agree funding is a pretty damn important part of business, that the Stargate Worlds team seemed to have overlooked. You have to admit that the economy only crashed in Oct08, but it has been slowing since Dec07/Jan08. Ontop of that, video game programmers aren't exactly making fair money, that is probably one of the top 10 overpaid careers around. I think MGM needs to step in and buyout the game and complete it. If another Stargate game goes under, there will never be hope for any Stargate game, ever.

Stefan8
March 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
While I agree funding is a pretty damn important part of business, that the Stargate Worlds team seemed to have overlooked. You have to admit that the economy only crashed in Oct08, but it has been slowing since Dec07/Jan08. Ontop of that, video game programmers aren't exactly making fair money, that is probably one of the top 10 overpaid careers around. I think MGM needs to step in and buyout the game and complete it. If another Stargate game goes under, there will never be hope for any Stargate game, ever.
And that would be a shame. No franchise is complete without a decent video game. A Stargate video game would be very cool for the fans, even if it sucks. The video game of Lost sucks, but I still enjoyed playing it. A little :P

quade_1
March 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Just wondering if anyone else noticed that the "dayssincecheyennemountainemployeeshavebeenpaid.com" has been removed. The website is still up but there is no longer a count, last I saw a couple days ago it was at just over 140days. I emailed Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment and inquired about it, but they haven't gotten back to me.

Replicator Todd
April 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I wasn't very happy when The Alliance was cancelled, I was so excited and checked the site everyday. With Worlds in trouble, more people will have to play all the Stargate mods out there!

knowles2
April 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Just wondering if anyone else noticed that the "dayssincecheyennemountainemployeeshavebeenpaid.com" has been removed. The website is still up but there is no longer a count, last I saw a couple days ago it was at just over 140days. I emailed Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment and inquired about it, but they haven't gotten back to me.

This either it means they got a new investor on board and are paying the staff, which is the good side or the staff have given up with the game and the company and are abandoning Cheyenne mountain and surrendering.

Considering the website is still up and and Stargetworld site is still going I am suspecting that it is the first option but they are not saying anything officially, which may because of legal matters pr may be the investor asked them not to.

Either way I hope this game does get release or MGM/SONY buys them out and push on with the game.

KurganSGC
April 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM
The last news posting on StargateWorlds.com is from March 18...two new screen shots. The images appear to be from a "working" game. So there is some hope(?). Maybe MGM will jump in with an Obama-esque bailout?

One thing that bothers me, and kind of gives me the impression that they may not have much of a clue over there @ CME is that their much publicized screen shots are not anti-aliased. When you show shots of your premier in production name brand game, you want to put your best foot forward. CME must have been absent from common sense class that day.

prion
April 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-10263-Official-Statement-on-Stargate-Worlds.html

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

The Lights are Still On and Stargate Worlds Development Continues

I’ve been asked from many corners lately to provide an official response to a story circulated by Gateworld.net. I spoke with Darren Sumner, the author of the story, soon after it was posted and gave him a detailed response to the article which he decided not to publish.

Our official response is that the lights here are still on and the development team is working hard every day to get this game built.

REST AT ILNK ABOVE

Darren
April 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
My official response to this is that the Vancouver trip is GateWorld's very busiest week of the year, and we did our very best to give Cheyenne Mountain a full and fair say and publish their comments as soon as we were able. Our publishing schedule is not beholden to CME, and at no time did we indicate that their response to Brad's comments would not be published.

I completely understand their need to put out a statement and break their silence on the matter, especially after other sites picked up our story over the weekend. I regret that they felt the need to jump to conclusions about me.

TheRandomOne
April 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
With this game having so much trouble I will still be amazed if it gets released & if it does the big question will be is how long will it last :p This seems like a forced damage control statement. So we will see

prion
April 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
My official response to this is that the Vancouver trip is GateWorld's very busiest week of the year, and we did our very best to give Cheyenne Mountain a full and fair say and publish their comments as soon as we were able. Our publishing schedule is not beholden to CME, and at no time did we indicate that their response to Brad's comments would not be published.

I completely understand their need to put out a statement and break their silence on the matter, especially after other sites picked up our story over the weekend. I regret that they felt the need to jump to conclusions about me.

why don't you just write them directly?

Darren
April 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
why don't you just write them directly?
Why do you assume that I haven't?