The ATA gene!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ATA gene!

We all know the ATA gene was a major step in heliping to understand and more importantly use the ancient technology in Atlantis.

Unfortunately it is not the most effective therapy. I believe it only 48% effective.

Now there is a few hundred people on Atlantis, perhaps about 300 ish.
    48% of 300 is about 140.

Anyway there was a thread circling around about why they only had 20 or so people that had the ATA gene ("Adrift").

And I believe Beckett said in "Hide and Seek" something along the lines of its legal in the Pegasus galaxy to do the gene therapy.

AND seeing as how the Atlantis expedition had more connection to Earth in season 2 and onward, they most likely wouldn't be allowed to continue the gene therapy.

simple: only essential personell was on atlantis during Adrift

Comment

Ofcourse the SGC could make sure the ATA Gene Therapy worked before assigning people to posts that needed the gene.

Some people naturally have the gene. Is the 48% only the success rate among those who don't have it naturally? If so, what % have it naturally?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        We all know the ATA gene was a major step in heliping to understand and more importantly use the ancient technology in Atlantis.

Unfortunately it is not the most effective therapy. I believe it only 48% effective.

Now there is a few hundred people on Atlantis, perhaps about 300 ish.
        48% of 300 is about 140.

Anyway there was a thread circling around about why they only had 20 or so people that had the ATA gene ("Adrift").

And I believe Beckett said in "Hide and Seek" something along the lines of its legal in the Pegasus galaxy to do the gene therapy.

AND seeing as how the Atlantis expedition had more connection to Earth in season 2 and onward, they most likely wouldn't be allowed to continue the gene therapy.
        theres no reason why they wouldnt be able to use the gene therapy, i mean beckett tested it on many people with no adverse effects so theres no reason not to be allowed to use it.

and my guess is that everyone assigned to atlantis is proaboly given the therapy if they dont have it naturally and if it works it works and if it dont it dont, nothing bad happens and if they had to get it approved by the FDA my guess is that it would be a little hard to get a therapy approved designed to allow humans to opperate advanced alien technology without revealing the stargate program.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Analogy: In the place where I work only a few people have the key card that would unlock the Server room... Not even the CEO has one. Why? Because he doesn't need to...

Similarly giving a person the ATA gene is like opening up that person for the whole world of Atlantis technology on which he/she would have little knowledge on how to operate & not to screw things up just by pressing the wrong button.

So just as in the case where the CEO could have messed up the servers by pressing the wrong button, many others in the expedition need not have access to the Lantean systems. (Mind you even McKay had difficulties in understanding many of them; so what say about the rest ?)

So that's probably why the access was given to only an essential few.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            Good enough answer for me
            Some say that he has only one ear.
            And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
            All we know is he's called
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              and a large portion of those essential personnel would have the gene, why only have 20 people with the gene when it looked like they were scientists and doctors.

sure those people may have been the best of the best and so stayed behind but i would not want to send away the people with the ATA gene what would they do if sheppard was killed or knocked out?

Comment

and a large portion of those essential personnel would have the gene, why only have 20 people with the gene when it looked like they were scientists and doctors.
                Well, I don't really see how military personnel would count as "essential." They might need a few security teams, but that's it. The essential personnel are the ones necessary to fly the city, which would mostly be the scientists.

sure those people may have been the best of the best and so stayed behind but i would not want to send away the people with the ATA gene what would they do if sheppard was killed or knocked out?
                Then they still have those twenty people just mentioned. Also, it was supposed to be a "simple" transit from one planet to another: the only opportunity that Sheppard has to get killed/knocked out is if the Chair Room gets destroyed on lift-off (in which case they're screwed anyway) or if he completely fudges up the landing (in which case they are already either down or dead).
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Plus, I'm sure that quite a few of the people with the gene were on gate teams which would have been stuck offworld when the Asuran laser gate activated.

Comment

look, the point is all they had was the central tower and all people there could fit in. so essential personell isnt alot. seeing as these people could be missed, i think essential personell might be double or quadrupel the amount of people with the gene. so about 40 people as essentials. which is still alot. the rest probably were immune to the therapy.

Comment

yea but i would assume that 'essential' would include people with the ancient gene, after all it is the city of the "ancients".
                      yes there are possibilities that some people with the gene might be offworld, but this was after they attacked the asurans so if i was them i would bring all the offworld personnel back to atlantis just to be safe

Comment

except that you're stuck with a bunch of useless people untill the gene is needed. seeing as sheppard was there, and mckay, two people with the highest CIA or whatever its called, all those others dont matter. besides, these were probably not ALL peoplw with the gene, atleast a few should be in atlantis, as they would probably keep atlantis in check and such

Comment

maybe but just like i said there was very few witht the gene naturally that we know of: shep, beckett (although he was dead at the time) Lorne?

Even if the gene therapy had no side effects, they would not be allowed to do it, simply because the IOA wouldnt let them. If the program came out then NOT doing illegal gene therapy is slightly better in the publics eyes.

wouldnt you put people with the gene as 'essential' regardless of what job they had....well unless they were like the janitor....although ive only ever seen one person sweeping atlantis.

Comment

yea but i would assume that 'essential' would include people with the ancient gene, after all it is the city of the "ancients".
                            Not necessarily: it was established fairly earlier on ("Hide and Seek," I believe) that most of the city's systems can be controlled manually by people without the gene, once the system has initialized.

yes there are possibilities that some people with the gene might be offworld, but this was after they attacked the asurans so if i was them i would bring all the offworld personnel back to atlantis just to be safe
                            Well, given the fact that they couldn't use the Stargate due to the Asuran satellite, they would have to send the Apollo after them. Sure, the Apollo's fast, but that still doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, especially considering that if they're off-world, they probably aren't "essential."
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              Not necessarily: it was established fairly earlier on ("Hide and Seek," I believe) that most of the city's systems can be controlled manually by people without the gene, once the system has initialized.

Well, given the fact that they couldn't use the Stargate due to the Asuran satellite, they would have to send the Apollo after them. Sure, the Apollo's fast, but that still doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, especially considering that if they're off-world, they probably aren't "essential."
                              i meant they came back before the mission went ahead.

and enough arguing with me, im pissed off enough already.

Comment

Working...
                              X