This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

better and better

anyone else thin kthis show gets better and better as it moves closer to the end of the season? i've seen through hot zone and they just keep getting better
    come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Well the writers have had plenty of experience from SG-1 so writing first season would have been alot easier.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

There was a massive and not unexpected dip in the quality of the show after Rising but it is picking up. I have to agree.

Each episode is getting better than the one before since Hide & Seek...I hope it continues

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
      One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
      One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
      Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
      Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
      Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

yeah i justwatched sanctuary which gives some godo info about the ancients. but man these episodes are getting good.....im pumped for before i sleep....

the episodes are dealing a lot with the ancients/wraith lately. maybe that ois why they are so good...then again storm/eye was all genii and those were great episodes!!!
        come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

When will we get to see new EPs in the US??
          " You can not gain anything without first giving something in exchange

Ed- Full Metal Alchemist

Comment

The show does seem to be getting more interesting as the season draws to an end, probably because were learning more background information about things.

Comment

well i have only watched the first 13 episodes. In my opinion, atlantis is a much worse show than sg-1.
              Atlantis is kinda boring. almost every episode involves them finding new technology and then using it within a couple hours............so stupid.... at least in SG-1 it takes major carter a long time to figure out how to use new technology and they try to make it seem like its a very difficult procedure, whereas in atlantis, it looks like the technology is a piece of cake to understand.
              the plots are getting repetitive and boring. there is no BIG action as in SG-1.
              Also, every now and then in Atlantis, they drop in info regarding wraiths/ancients, etc. and thats it. But in SG-1 they have whole shows that revolve around a spectacular revalation that they discover.

im sorely dissapointed

Comment

Originally posted by caes4
                well i have only watched the first 13 episodes. In my opinion, atlantis is a much worse show than sg-1.
                Atlantis is kinda boring. almost every episode involves them finding new technology and then using it within a couple hours............so stupid.... at least in SG-1 it takes major carter a long time to figure out how to use new technology and they try to make it seem like its a very difficult procedure, whereas in atlantis, it looks like the technology is a piece of cake to understand.
                the plots are getting repetitive and boring. there is no BIG action as in SG-1.
                Also, every now and then in Atlantis, they drop in info regarding wraiths/ancients, etc. and thats it. But in SG-1 they have whole shows that revolve around a spectacular revalation that they discover.

im sorely dissapointed
                1. Carter takes awhile to figure something out because most of the time, it's completely new, or newer than before. In Atlantis, it's basically ALL ancient tech, to which EVERY scientist (especially Mckay) has been trained to figure out.

2. The plots of SG-1 were repetitive (definatly not boring), Atlantis' plots are rarely boring (if ever).

3. To explain all the other things you said, this is it's FIRST season. Look back at SG-1's first season and tell me how many had big action, great revelation, and so forth. Atlantis is giving us things in small pieces, letting our imaginations guess at what could be true (along the lines of Babylon 5).
                sigpic
                In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended_Asgard

?????

Ed- Full Metal Alchemist

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended_Asgard
                    In case you're wondering, I hear the SciFi Channel will begin airing new episodes of Atlantis sometime in mid january (I believe starting the weekend of the 14th - don't remember exactly when). Also, new episodes of SG-1 will airing mid-january as well.

As for the topic, I believe we need to allow Atlantis to get off the ground before we start judging it too heavily. I've only seen the first half of Season 1 (because that's all the episodes the SciFi Channel has aired so far). From these episodes, I think Atlantis is going to be a great show.

Yeah, in a way, Atlantis is nothing more than SG-1 in a new venue. On a very basic level, Atlantis is really nothing new. (Think of the Wraith as the Gao'uld.)But that doesn't detract from the show because the writers are talented enough to create new races, worlds and plots that are drastically different than SG-1. I'll hold off my judgement of Atlantis until I see further episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                      In case you're wondering, I hear the SciFi Channel will begin airing new episodes of Atlantis sometime in mid january (I believe starting the weekend of the 14th - don't remember exactly when). Also, new episodes of SG-1 will airing mid-january as well.
                      According to GateWorld's episode guide, new episodes will hit U.S. airways January 21st.
                      Rocky

Comment

I agree that Atlantis is getting better. I was disappinted after the pilot because there really was a dip in quality but they are getting much better now. I enjoed 38 minutes but I think it was still too early in the series to have this kind of episode. I think they're not doing enough recon. It's as if every in every episode they all ready know what's gonna happen and just want to get through the mission. What I liked most of SG-1's first season was that they went off to other planets as explorers, met people and cultures. They got in trouble but came out of it with friends. In SGA is as if they only make enemies. You'd think than in another galaxy they'd meet really interesting cultures.
                        On the other hand, character developement is progressing although I think they made Rodney a "nice guy" type too quickly, part of his charm on SG-1 was that he was such an ass and he was a coward as well In SGA he's much more bearable and somewhat braver too, very quickly.
                        I like Atlantis anyway, it's nowhere near as good as SG-1's first season one but it's definitely better than a lot of other series. I expect it'll get really good from now on. They do have really clever writers and producers. And the big brothers and sister from SG-1 to give them advice if they need it
                        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I tend to think that Atlantis has had a better start all round. Except for the fluffy episode that is Sanctuary, most of the episodes have been well thought out and suggestive of bigger and better things to come.

SG-1 in Season One was much more in the vein of Star Trek... optimistic, episodic and rushed (restricted by a timeslot). Sure a lot of it was quite fun but I personally felt that at times it lacked depth. Situations were resolved just a tad too easily. IMO it started to get really good with the introduction of the Tokra and when they started to introduce long-term arcs.
                          In the case of Atlantis, the stories may on first appearance seem more pessimistic but I suspect more true to our history. I suppose the previous poster has hit on the thing that distinguished Bab 5 from Star Trek which was the fact that human history can recall numerous examples of conflict between tribes, cultures and nations. Relationships between people groups have always been frought with complexities. I have always thought that the Prime Directive on Star Trek though lofty in its intention was a rather silly and unrealistic premise... to believe somehow that one can encounter another culture and not "interfere" with it. The stories were fun but not always realistic.
                          The other great thing about Atlantis is the atmosphere of mystery that continues to envelop ensuing episodes, which for someone who likes crime fiction, is fantastic. I think it is great that we don't know that much about Atlantis, the Ancients and their connection with earth. That we learn about them gradually can only be a good thing... in the hope that the writers will use that edge to spin a much more solid and believable tale. It has always been my personal belief that a film/play that is focused on a location has the potential to be much more thrilling and profound. Hitchcock of course, is a case in point.
                          As for Rodney, I think writers have done well with him.
                          Spoiler:
                          If someone slashes my arm, puts a gun to my head threatening to kill me, or if I watch a colleague degenerate and shoot himself in the head... I suspect that that would change the way I see the universe...or force me to grow up, don't you think?
                          Last edited by Easter Lily; 05 December 2004, 01:40 PM.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I love Atlantis I can hardy wait for new Eps. I am trying very hard to stay away from spoilers but its sooo hard....... on that note I don't wanna see Col. Evetts return as a recurring member. It will screw with everything... Any thoughts

Ed- Full Metal Alchemist

Comment

Make that two of us I just don't like the character for some reason
                              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Working...
                              X