Just saw Babylon 5 Lost Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw Babylon 5 Lost Tales

I have to say, it was amazingly well written. However , during Sheridian Arc, when they reference how Steven and G'kar wont be showing up for the 10th anniversary because they traveled beyond the rim, It moved me deeply. It little nods like that that make Babylon 5 so great.

How true !!! ,SO Great !!!
    sigpic
    SOONER OR LATER,EVERYONE COMES TO BABYLON 5

Comment

The writing was good. Unfortunately, the desolate emptiness of the station ruined it for me. They should have spent some of the CGI money on extras instead.
      sigpic

Comment

Very good maneth, I knew something was missing,but I did not know what till now,thank you !!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          The writing was good. Unfortunately, the desolate emptiness of the station ruined it for me. They should have spent some of the CGI money on extras instead.
          JMS has said in a few places the reason he choose not to do more lost tales is because the Budget that WB gave him was so small that it didn't let them do much. They didn't even have enough money to build all the sets he wanted. Which meant that CGI money that could have gone to effects was spent on fill out physical sets that with a larger budget wouldn't have needed any CGI for.

That said I think the Emptiness of the station is kinda telling at this point after the ISA leaves Babylon 5 much of the Traffic that used to go through there start gong to other place instead because more open trade and ISA head quarters is Mimbar. So I see it as part of that decline that leads the Earth deciding to blow the whole thing up in Sleeping in Light.
          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

I see what you are saying, very well put ,Yeah I read that about the small budget too,hopefully they will come to their sences !!!.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stormy View Post
              I see what you are saying, very well put ,Yeah I read that about the small budget too,hopefully they will come to their sences !!!.
              I think JMS has ruled out doing any future movies due to budget issues has he not? I recall reading something to that effect. I am sure there is a thread about that somewhere.
              ---------------------
              sigpic
              Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

I didn't like it. It was kinda boring! The special B5 atmosphere was missing!!
                Spoiler:

Comment

JMS has ruled out any future movies without big money.

He may get his wish as, He has over the next few years got a few big films which is working on, writing the screenplays. If these turn out successful he may be entrusted with his own personal project such as Babylon 5 feature film.

Plus with plenty of hardcore science fiction films coming out in the next two years, if these prove big hitters at the box office then WB may feel it worth the risk of doing a big budget Babylon 5 film.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 15 March 2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

How will they do such a B5 film. I mean something big bugeted, unless he can do a full movie about the Earth-Minbari war but have it from the Earth perspective mainly. That way, when it ends with the surrender alot of people will be curious as to why the Minbari surrendered at the battle of the line.

Comment

I still suspect if there's ever going to be a B5 movie, which WB a while ago didn't completely rule out, it's still the Telepath War. JMS has been sitting on that one for quite a while.

In any case, any potential movie will have to be fairly independent of the series itself, since it has to attract both fans of the show and those who haven't seen it. Quite a large population, since any film would have to attempt to attract viewers who were barely born when the show first aired.
                      sigpic

Comment

Actually coming up with a story which attracts audience it the hardest part. Many of central characters are old and several have past away.

The telepath war be cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                          I am not going to disagree with you too much, but the best part for me about the second story was the glimse (albeit short) of what B5 would look with today's CGI technology. While the original CGI holds up for me because I am used to it, too many young people today are spoiled with CGI for movies, TV shows and video games that are light years ahead of what B5 had to work with in the mid-90's. I see on some chat/message boards that outdated CGI is a big factor for younger Sci-Fi fans not enjoying the show.

I think it is short-sighted of them because of the great story within B5. I just watched a B5 marathon over the weekend from Severed Dreams to Into the Fire and I thought that the way the space battles were constructed in the editing and music match anything done today. The CGI is dated, but the way the battles are shown as they happen is still great and gets me glued to the TV.
                          Last edited by Redhooks; 24 March 2009, 02:15 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
                          Spoiler:
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the CGI is far better than some I see today, but I'm really partial and biased.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Yeah. The CGI should always be secondary to the story. I must say I agree with Isaac Asimov (or Arthur C. Clarke) , if critics find nothing else to talk about except the special effects of a movie (or tv show), then the story is severely lacking.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X