Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think are the most important things for Stargate Universe to have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think are the most important things for Stargate Universe to have?

Hello, I am looking forward to Stargate Universe and I was wondering what people thought about what the most important things to them that Stargate Universe should have. For me I would say this:

1. Good cast that interacts well together. In Stargate SG-1, I think the SG-1 team of Teal'c, Jack, Daniel and Sam is a great example of really good casting. They not only have to be good actors individually, but they have to be able to express an interesting range of emotions and interact in good ways. To me, it was enjoyable to watch these 4 all the time, a danger is if you get too much in one direction and the characters or character interaction becomes annoying.

Now that Stargate has quite a lot of money, they cast a bunch of big actors and probably did that mainly in their minds, whereas, I can bet you that the SG-1 team probably were all in the same room to see how they fit together before they were cast. So I do like the cast lineup as individuals, I just hope that they mesh together in interesting ways and don't get too much towards one emotion (example, 1 sarcastic person is a good balance, 5 is probably too much. If you cast a stargate team with 10 angry and irrational people, it would become unwatchable, but one hothead can add drama, though even 2 can be annoying.) Part is writing and part is the natural tendencies of the actors. So I hope for a tight SG-1 like crew. I enjoyed this crew a ton. Atlantis was not bad too, not as tight as SG-1 but that's just my opinion. A good example would be say the tightness of The Next Generation crew compared to Voyager, agian, just my opinion but I think it's shared by others.

2. Cool bad guys - In a series that has regular bad guys it is important that the bad guys be interesting. (Stargate Universe may switch off because they are changing entire universes, but it is hard to know how long they will stay in each universe. I think the Jaffa were so interesting, loved the resistance, the ranks with the masters pretending to be gods etc. The Wraith were a little too horror for me, just preference, I just disliked them. And you know how many Stargate Atlantises heavily feature the Wraith? Enough that it makes it hard to watch for me if I want an episode without Wraith. Now it can't be perfect, but it has to be a bad guy most people don't mind watching (And most don't mind the Wraith but I think that the Jaffa have a broader appeal than the Wraith). I think there are two main types if bad guys in sci-fi, the ones who talk very little and just kill everyone, like The Borg or early Replicators, and the ones who are dynamic. I think both should be mixed, but a preference on dynamic bad guys, though I have to admit, there is something exciting about the good guys running away from Replicators and trying to outsmart them. But the one dimentionals have less flexibility, if The early Replicators were the only bad guys in Stargate it would not be very dynamic.

3. Good writing - This is an extremely complex one that I will leave with a simplistic answer, that the writing needs to be 'good', whatever that is, and I don't even want to try to describe that one.

So that's it for me. Let's just put it this way, if I don't like the main characters and how they interact, and I don't like the bad guys, then a show like this becomes unwatchable for me. In fact, even one 'annoying' character or character that the fans really dislike (and not in the supervillian way but in an annoying change the channel way) then it can really throw of the show. So I am hoping they take their time with the characters and bad guys and get it right. Of course once the main characters 'work', then pretty much every episode becomes watchable, and even the "weak" or less well written episodes become enjoyable. You can change the bad guys, but the core cast can't be changed, or can only be changed very slowly so what I want most is to like the main characters if that makes any sense.

Originally posted by shinysign View Post
    Hello, I am looking forward to Stargate Universe and I was wondering what people thought about what the most important things to them that Stargate Universe should have. For me I would say this:

1. Good cast that interacts well together. In Stargate SG-1, I think the SG-1 team of Teal'c, Jack, Daniel and Sam is a great example of really good casting. They not only have to be good actors individually, but they have to be able to express an interesting range of emotions and interact in good ways. To me, it was enjoyable to watch these 4 all the time, a danger is if you get too much in one direction and the characters or character interaction becomes annoying.

Now that Stargate has quite a lot of money, they cast a bunch of big actors and probably did that mainly in their minds, whereas, I can bet you that the SG-1 team probably were all in the same room to see how they fit together before they were cast. So I do like the cast lineup as individuals, I just hope that they mesh together in interesting ways and don't get too much towards one emotion (example, 1 sarcastic person is a good balance, 5 is probably too much. If you cast a stargate team with 10 angry and irrational people, it would become unwatchable, but one hothead can add drama, though even 2 can be annoying.) Part is writing and part is the natural tendencies of the actors. So I hope for a tight SG-1 like crew. I enjoyed this crew a ton. Atlantis was not bad too, not as tight as SG-1 but that's just my opinion. A good example would be say the tightness of The Next Generation crew compared to Voyager, agian, just my opinion but I think it's shared by others.

2. Cool bad guys - In a series that has regular bad guys it is important that the bad guys be interesting. (Stargate Universe may switch off because they are changing entire universes, but it is hard to know how long they will stay in each universe. I think the Jaffa were so interesting, loved the resistance, the ranks with the masters pretending to be gods etc. The Wraith were a little too horror for me, just preference, I just disliked them. And you know how many Stargate Atlantises heavily feature the Wraith? Enough that it makes it hard to watch for me if I want an episode without Wraith. Now it can't be perfect, but it has to be a bad guy most people don't mind watching (And most don't mind the Wraith but I think that the Jaffa have a broader appeal than the Wraith). I think there are two main types if bad guys in sci-fi, the ones who talk very little and just kill everyone, like The Borg or early Replicators, and the ones who are dynamic. I think both should be mixed, but a preference on dynamic bad guys, though I have to admit, there is something exciting about the good guys running away from Replicators and trying to outsmart them. But the one dimentionals have less flexibility, if The early Replicators were the only bad guys in Stargate it would not be very dynamic.

3. Good writing - This is an extremely complex one that I will leave with a simplistic answer, that the writing needs to be 'good', whatever that is, and I don't even want to try to describe that one.

So that's it for me. Let's just put it this way, if I don't like the main characters and how they interact, and I don't like the bad guys, then a show like this becomes unwatchable for me. In fact, even one 'annoying' character or character that the fans really dislike (and not in the supervillian way but in an annoying change the channel way) then it can really throw of the show. So I am hoping they take their time with the characters and bad guys and get it right. Of course once the main characters 'work', then pretty much every episode becomes watchable, and even the "weak" or less well written episodes become enjoyable. You can change the bad guys, but the core cast can't be changed, or can only be changed very slowly so what I want most is to like the main characters if that makes any sense.
    I think Universe should have more action, it should be more arc driven, it should have team chemestry like sg1 did and it should stay away from romances(straight or gay) being a main part of the story. Not that it shouldnt hint at it or even have an obvious relationship i just think it should not be the center of the show or an episode of the show.(kinda like wash and zoey on firefly, it was present but not dominating)
    sigpic

Comment

I actually think it should be less action and more drama. Something along the lines of early SG-1, just with a more arc-based structure. But I also think it's important to have the odd stand-alone episode here and there, and the odd shot-'em-up episode as well.

But most importantly, even though the premises of SGU is much more serious than the other two series, it is important for it to not lose it sense of comedy. The ability of both SG-1 and Atlantis to not take themselves too seriously was a strong point, in my opinion.
      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

1. Occasional light-heartedness
        2. Likeable characters with a sense of humour
        3. People actually getting along and working together
        4. No stupid ships/people hooking up because they're bored/horny

Comment

The most important thing for SGU is to have that Round Thing that Spins

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
            1. Occasional light-heartedness
            2. Likeable characters with a sense of humour
            3. People actually getting along and working together
            4. No stupid ships/people hooking up because they're bored/horny
            1 is certainly important. I don't want too much of 2 and 3 - it needs to be balanced with some difficulty, or it will all seem to easy.
            As for 4... what are the odds of the Destiny meeting another ship which is... compatible?

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post

The most important thing for SGU is to have that Round Thing that Spins
            SECONDED and QFT
            Happily, signs point to Yes on this issue.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

1) Use of a Stargate
              2) Use of a Stargate
              3) Use of a Stargate
              4) Use of a Stargate
              5) Not replicators as the main bad guys
              sigpic

Comment

if its anything like the new battlestar galactica then im going to be p***** off
                Captain Simms

Comment

more support than it currently has.

Comment

SGU needs to have 304s. "LOTS" of 304s

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
                      More than lots and lots?

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
                        I majorly second that motion!!!
                        MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                        MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                        POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                        CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                        GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                        VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                        FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

To this I would add some nitpicky things:

1. Don't film it too dark. there are entire episodes of Stargate Atlantis where 3/4's of the screen is black, maybe some people like this, I would rather see things other than their face

2. Not too gross. There are a few scenes in Atlantis where I was eating and then all of the sudden they show something and, well, I'm not hungry anymore. This was rare in StarGate SG-1, they knew when not to overstep the line.

3. Not too much conflict between the "good guys". It seems like a modern thing, ever since Enterprise added T'Pol, the angry vulcan. It is this idea that even amongst the "good guys" there must be some sort of internal conflict. A little bit of this can be at times dramatic, at times funny, but too much and it becomes, well, a soap opera, a group of people fighting agianst each other over internal problems. I don't mind a few episodes of this, but I don't really want it to be like, "this member of the crew will be the nagging member. He will disagree with what everyone else on the crew says, then be proved wrong at the end of each episode." You rarely see the 'bad guys' do that and if it happens, it usually results in an interesting and dramatic defection. So maybe I am old school but I like the 'good guys' to be relatively friendly to each other and not antagonistic. Who wants to see Batman and Robin argue with each other for two and 1/2 hours? Different franchise, but still, they should have a common goal.

Comment

The ship needs to have "Ludicrious Speed"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shinysign View Post
                              To this I would add some nitpicky things:

1. Don't film it too dark. there are entire episodes of Stargate Atlantis where 3/4's of the screen is black, maybe some people like this, I would rather see things other than their face

2. Not too gross. There are a few scenes in Atlantis where I was eating and then all of the sudden they show something and, well, I'm not hungry anymore. This was rare in StarGate SG-1, they knew when not to overstep the line.

3. Not too much conflict between the "good guys". It seems like a modern thing, ever since Enterprise added T'Pol, the angry vulcan. It is this idea that even amongst the "good guys" there must be some sort of internal conflict. A little bit of this can be at times dramatic, at times funny, but too much and it becomes, well, a soap opera, a group of people fighting agianst each other over internal problems. I don't mind a few episodes of this, but I don't really want it to be like, "this member of the crew will be the nagging member. He will disagree with what everyone else on the crew says, then be proved wrong at the end of each episode." You rarely see the 'bad guys' do that and if it happens, it usually results in an interesting and dramatic defection. So maybe I am old school but I like the 'good guys' to be relatively friendly to each other and not antagonistic. Who wants to see Batman and Robin argue with each other for two and 1/2 hours? Different franchise, but still, they should have a common goal.
                              The opposite of what this guy just said.

Comment

Working...
                              X