Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Recall (remake)

'Get your ass to Mars!' A new Total Recall is on the way

Total Recall—the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action movie based on a Philip K. Dick story—may be headed for a remake, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Neal H. Moritz and his Original Films are in final negotiations to develop and produce for Columbia a contemporary version of the movie, which was originally directed by Paul Verhoeven.

The original, based on the Philip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," follows a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company that sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.

The movie is a cult favorite for a variety of reasons: It features a fight in which Sharon Stone kicks Arnold's butt, some luridly graphic special effects, a three-breasted hooker and the famous line, "Get your ass to Mars!" The movie grossed $261 million worldwide.

Moritz told the trade paper that he hopes the advancements in technology and state-of-the-art visual effects can help tell the Recall story in a fresh way.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/get-you...on-the-way.php

what?

NOOOOOOO!!!

this is bad bad news the effects were great! total recall is one of my favourite movies!! a remake is a stupid idea...
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Oh god, no.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I liked that movie.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

But why? It was such a good movie. A remake will ruin it. You only remke bad movies to make them better.
          Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Oh good god, just let the San Andreas fault sweep all of Hollywood away finally! They simply can not come up with anything, and I mean ANYTHING original or good anymore!

I really can not name any good scifi films made in the last 8 years that compared to movies like Stargate, Dark City, etc.. made over 10 years ago. They are on this obsessive roll to just remake remake remake, and I am freaking sick of it.

Sign of the times when the biggest blockbuster movie they come out with in the summer is a remake of a childrens cartoon..WTF. I will say this, I truly will lose my top if I hear there is a remake of Blade Runner.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
              I really can not name any good scifi films made in the last 8 years that compared to movies like Stargate, Dark City, etc.. made over 10 years ago. They are on this obsessive roll to just remake remake remake, and I am freaking sick of it.
              2001: A.I. (minus the last 10-15 minutes)
              2002: 28 Days Later, Minority Report, Solaris
              2003: Matrix sequels
              2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
              2005: The Island, Serenity, Star Wars Episode III
              2006: Children of Men, Idiocracy, V for Vendetta
              2007: Timecrimes, Transformers
              2008: Stargate AoT/Continuum, Wall-E, X-Files
              2009: Hunter Prey, Moon, Star Trek (maybe), Terminator Salvation, Timecrimes (English), Transformers 2

That said though, I agree with your point. Hollywood is sorely lacking in original ideas anymore.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Enough with the bleeping remakes! Making me feel frelling old.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

IMO, this movie does not need to be remade. The original is fine as it is. They are getting out of control with these remakes.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    2001: A.I. (minus the last 10-15 minutes)
                    2002: 28 Days Later, Minority Report, Solaris
                    2003: Matrix sequels
                    2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
                    2005: The Island, Serenity, Star Wars Episode III
                    2006: Children of Men, Idiocracy, V for Vendetta
                    2007: Timecrimes, Transformers
                    2008: Stargate AoT/Continuum, Wall-E, X-Files
                    2009: Hunter Prey, Moon, Star Trek (maybe), Terminator Salvation, Timecrimes (English), Transformers 2

That said though, I agree with your point. Hollywood is sorely lacking in original ideas anymore.
                    Agree with all, but we'll have to see about the new Terminator.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                      Agree with all, but we'll have to see about the new Terminator.
                      Yeah I really agree. I have to say though, I'm actually really looking forward to it. I had no interest in T3 when it was in development, and it turned out to be an abomination I've done my best to purge from my mind.

I don't know what it is about Terminator Salvation, but it's got my interest.

Comment

I've never actually seen this movie but...you know what...

They should just release that Total Recall 2070 series onto DVD!

That series was pretty cool! It was pretty much "Blade Runner: The TV Series".

That would be much better than watching some terrible remake!
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

New trailer

Much as I generally loathe remakes/reboots/reimaginings, this doesn't look too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            New trailer

Much as I generally loathe remakes/reboots/reimaginings, this doesn't look too bad.
                            From the trailer, I do have to agree. It actually looks pretty decent.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The big brains of HollyRock are planning to re-make this film too? Really? I used to say that I needed to get out more, now I am wondering if I should bother. Some one should tell TPTB (been there, done that).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X