X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neverending Story: A remake

It really is a Neverending Story: A remake develops

A reboot of the classic 1984 fantasy movie The Neverending Story is in the early stages of development at Warner Brothers under the Kennedy/Marshall Co. (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and Leonard DiCaprio's Appian Way, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The two production entities are reportedly in discussions with Warner about reviving the 25-year-old franchise with a modern spin. The studio recently acquired rights to the property, clearing the way for a potential remake.

Born out of a German-language novel by Michael Ende, the film centers on a boy named Bastian Balthazar Bux who discovers a parallel world in a book titled The NeverEnding Story. As the boy, a loner, delves deeper into the book, he increasingly finds his life intertwined with the plot of the novel, in which a hero in the land of Fantasia must save the universe on behalf of an empress.

The new movie—which original producer Dieter Geissler also will produce and Sarah Schechter and Jesse Ehrman will oversee for Warner—will examine the more nuanced details of the book that were glossed over in the first film.

Wolfgang Petersen directed and Neue Constantin produced the original for Warner, which earned a respectable $20 million when it was released in 1984. The film has had a long life on home video and an even larger influence on popular culture, prefiguring Harry Potter and other present-day children's fantasies.

A sequel directed by George Miller came out in 1990 and earned $17 million; a third movie followed in the U.S. in 1996 but quickly went to video.

Those familiar with the project emphasize that it is in its early stages and that writers have not been attached.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/it-real...e-develops.php

I used to love this movie. I wanted to be the Child Like Empress so bad. Not sure how I feel about a remake though.
    Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

They have to keep the original sountrack.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well it'll never end if they go back to the beginning...

Comment

I love the Neverending Story, even now. I am not sure if I am excited or not about a remake. They way things have progressed in fx it could have some amazing cinematography. It could work if they keep to the heart of the story. I guess if it sucks we will always have the original.
          sigpic

Comment

Another one?!?! (sorry just was on the Recall remake thread) Seriously does Hollywood not READ? There's endless novels on fantasy and sci-fi.
            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

They are getting totally out of control with these remakes as of late. I mean, come on! As far as this movie is concerned though, I might be willing to give it a shot.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

And Hollywood continues to rape my childhood.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                  and hollywood continues to rape my childhood.
                  ... YOU'RE TERRIFIED OF LUCK DRAGONS TOO?

*shudder*

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                    ... YOU'RE TERRIFIED OF LUCK DRAGONS TOO?

*shudder*
                    *sniff* I always wanted a Luck Dragon...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X