question about the stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about the stargate

If you had a stargate that was connected to multiple stargates at the same tim,
    Spoiler:
    like in reckoning
    , what would happen if you were to step through the gate?

you would either:

be multiplied (as your signiture is sent out to multiple gates) or you would be ripped appart and arrive at multiple locations in parts....(i would say first idea is more valid, as the gate demolecularize you, store you into a buffer and then transmit you, if you are fully transmitted say 100 times and reintegrated, then you would have duplicated yourself)

greetings LAX

Comment

Why didnt the asgard think of that?!
      poor asgard
      Lemonaid

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
        you would either:

be multiplied (as your signiture is sent out to multiple gates) or you would be ripped appart and arrive at multiple locations in parts....(i would say first idea is more valid, as the gate demolecularize you, store you into a buffer and then transmit you, if you are fully transmitted say 100 times and reintegrated, then you would have duplicated yourself)

greetings LAX
        i disagree. when you enter the gate your mass is turned into energy and with multiple gates pulling at that energy, its merely sepperated and rematerialized in parts out each stargate.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
          If you had a stargate that was connected to multiple stargates at the same tim,
          Spoiler:
          like in reckoning
          , what would happen if you were to step through the gate?
          It's anybody's guess I suppose, so here's my guess. The Ancients included a safeguard, so that when multiple gates are opened and someone steps through, that individual is directed in one piece to a single location chosen arbitrarily by the gate network's complex technology. IMO it makes sense that the Ancients would do this.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
            It's anybody's guess I suppose, so here's my guess. The Ancients included a safeguard, so that when multiple gates are opened and someone steps through, that individual is directed in one piece to a single location chosen arbitrarily by the gate network's complex technology. IMO it makes sense that the Ancients would do this.

I've gotta agree with this, I mean we know that the Ancients were fond of putting redundancies and safeguards in their tech so why would they allow a person to get torn apart and remade in pieces when they exit the gate?
            If the Ancients were smart enough to be able to make a Stargate in the first place and allow it to dial multiple gates at the same time they would IMO have built in a safeguard to stop someone getting killed or copied.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
              I've gotta agree with this, I mean we know that the Ancients were fond of putting redundancies and safeguards in their tech so why would they allow a person to get torn apart and remade in pieces when they exit the gate?
              If the Ancients were smart enough to be able to make a Stargate in the first place and allow it to dial multiple gates at the same time they would IMO have built in a safeguard to stop someone getting killed or copied.
              EXCEPT ... wouldn't this have negated the effect of the weapon on Dakara when it was activated: It's 'energy' being redirected to only one stargate rather than all at the same time?

I do think the Ancients built in several redundancies and safe guards, but I suspect in this case they were designed to keep the gates from dialing multiple addresses and Ba'al found a way to bypass that little safety feature - just the same way Sam found a way to bypass the safety that should have kept them from traveling through a star in Red Sky.

JMHO!
              Janice

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger View Post
                EXCEPT ... wouldn't this have negated the effect of the weapon on Dakara when it was activated: It's 'energy' being redirected to only one stargate rather than all at the same time?

I do think the Ancients built in several redundancies and safe guards, but I suspect in this case they were designed to keep the gates from dialing multiple addresses and Ba'al found a way to bypass that little safety feature - just the same way Sam found a way to bypass the safety that should have kept them from traveling through a star in Red Sky.

JMHO!
                Janice
                thats a good point.
                STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

I agree with both Maj. Cliffhanger and Laxian of Earth. If you stepped through a gate connected to multiple gates you would be duplicated.

Dr. Daedalus
                  God is the original transporter.

Acts 8:39b-40a: The Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Phillip away and the official did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip, however, appeared at Azotus (an old city in ancient Israel) and traveled about.

He is also the author of love and justice:

Spoiler:
                  Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 14:6: Jesus (Christ) answered: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Well, I suppose it's a matter of the gate being able to distinguish between a living being and a weapon effect. But then I suppose we can "suppose" this matter to death and not come up with a definitive answer -- I suppose.

A good point. But the Ancients had some 50 million years to tinker with and tweak the gate system. I mean, that's a lot of time to have on your hands. I would think this matter would have come along more than once during that time span before Ba'al came along and got his greasy fingers into the system.

Comment

Well it depends on how the stargate works. If, and I think this is the case, one stargate demwhatyoumacallits you and transmits your energy pattern across a wormhole/wormholes to the connected gate(s) where the DHD (either from the dialer or the reciever) provides power for the rematerilazation. Which means basically you get killed by one gate and the other makes a perfect copy of you, right down to the memories. If this is true connecting to multiple gates means multiple yous.
                      Originally posted by Craig Charles
                      "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                        Well it depends on how the stargate works. If, and I think this is the case, one stargate demwhatyoumacallits you and transmits your energy pattern across a wormhole/wormholes to the connected gate(s) where the DHD (either from the dialer or the reciever) provides power for the rematerilazation. Which means basically you get killed by one gate and the other makes a perfect copy of you, right down to the memories. If this is true connecting to multiple gates means multiple yous.
                        no, it wont result in multiple people, the gate dematerializes you and turns you into energy which is then sent through the wormhole, now theres only enough energy to make 1 you whole again, the gate cant just create the energy/ matter that makes up you, so what would happen is your energy is either scrunched up too tightly to be sepperated and it makes its way to some random stargate whole, or its scattered to multiple gates and your remains are spread all over the galaxy.
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                          no, it wont result in multiple people, the gate dematerializes you and turns you into energy which is then sent through the wormhole, now theres only enough energy to make 1 you whole again, the gate cant just create the energy/ matter that makes up you, so what would happen is your energy is either scrunched up too tightly to be sepperated and it makes its way to some random stargate whole, or its scattered to multiple gates and your remains are spread all over the galaxy.
                          Actually it's an energy signiture
                          You must've missed when I said the DHD provides power.
                          Originally posted by Craig Charles
                          "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                            Sounds messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                              Actually it's an energy signiture
                              You must've missed when I said the DHD provides power.

the DHD provides the energy to turn you back from energy to matter, it cant just create the energy that makes you up to begin with and theres only enough of the energy that makes you up to rematerialize 1 of you.

the gate dosent make a template that allows it to make as many of you as it sees fit, it can make 1 copy but only by using the template to make the copy. now if that template it torn apart and seperated and routed to multiple gates, those gates can only rematerialize the part of the template they have meaning remains spread across galaxy, unless that template is bound together so tightly that it cant be torn apart and its sent to 1 gate and reassembled whole.
                              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                              X