Caller ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caller ID

just re-watched "The Prodigal" and it gave me an idea .
    Seeing as how the SGC and Atlantis teams visit a lot of worlds wouldnt it be a good idea to install a crystal in every DHD they come across that sends a little transmission through the gate when dialled letting us know where they are dialing from.

I thought about this because
    Spoiler:
    michael infiltrated using major nelsons IDC and quite possibly from a world that Major Nelson wasnt on.

Albiet there are thousands and thousand of worlds but.....

Nice idea, however someone will copy the signal on a world we think is safe and try to trick us into opening the gate. Take your example, what's there to stop the bad guy taking the crystal from the place that the good guys have been to?

Comment

I am not sure if this has been talked about before but i have always thought that there must be some correlation between which symbols light up on the incoming gate and the dialling one. so would it not be possible to work it out that way?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        just re-watched "The Prodigal" and it gave me an idea .
        Seeing as how the SGC and Atlantis teams visit a lot of worlds wouldnt it be a good idea to install a crystal in every DHD they come across that sends a little transmission through the gate when dialled letting us know where they are dialing from.

I thought about this because
        Spoiler:
        michael infiltrated using major nelsons IDC and quite possibly from a world that Major Nelson wasnt on.

Albiet there are thousands and thousand of worlds but.....
        considering the brilliance of the ancients i bet they created something like that but we just havent discovered how to use that function yet. i mean we know so little about a lot of ancient technology that they proboly have a solution for about every problem we have but we just havent found it yet.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

you give the ancients far to much credit.

they created the replicators and with their knowledge, they could have created an anti-replicator weapon, but instead they tried to destroy the replicators (which are tiny cells, that survive most things as we know) with drones....o'neill build a replicator-wave-gun in what? minutes? (with all the knowledge a "normal" ancient scientist would have in his mind, this should have been possible for them as well, thus saving us from the replicators as a majour pain in the butt!)

greetings LAX
          ps: that is a good idea, but on most missions their would not be time to install such crystalls....maybe we could develop something else to do that job? (upload a programm to the network maybe?)

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
            you give the ancients far to much credit.

they created the replicators and with their knowledge, they could have created an anti-replicator weapon, but instead they tried to destroy the replicators (which are tiny cells, that survive most things as we know) with drones....o'neill build a replicator-wave-gun in what? minutes? (with all the knowledge a "normal" ancient scientist would have in his mind, this should have been possible for them as well, thus saving us from the replicators as a majour pain in the butt!)

greetings LAX
            ps: that is a good idea, but on most missions their would not be time to install such crystalls....maybe we could develop something else to do that job? (upload a programm to the network maybe?)
            but they may not have had time to make the ARG because the replicators were about to do soething bad and they had to act quickly, and since their weapons destroyed all except a few, their weapons were more than effective.

or they made the arg but the replicators hacked into their computers and got the frequency and made themselves immune to it or at least their version.
            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

just so u know i do not mean that it sends an IDC it just sends a location

IDC's still need to be sent

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                considering the brilliance of the ancients i bet they created something like that but we just havent discovered how to use that function yet. i mean we know so little about a lot of ancient technology that they proboly have a solution for about every problem we have but we just havent found it yet.
                Yeah, probably there is some sort of sensor array related to the gate network, just like the SGA-expedition found out how to use long range ship sensor

Comment

Can I get unlimited Text Massaging added along with this Caller ID feature? ;-)

I actually love this idea, sounds feasable.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    quite possibly from a world that Major Nelson wasnt on.
                    Yeah, but Jeannie Magicks were in play, how well could D.H.D. Caller I.D. have really defended against that?
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                    X