This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about SGU

First off - a few drinks in me so sorry if the spelling is bad and im spamming the forum with theads/posts but...

I don't quote understand the logic behind the shows story, im VERYglad there is another SG series because BSG is over soon and im running out of scifi with SGA over. So i am not complaining but i actually dont understand the story.

Why would an advanced race give tech or allow more primitive races access to advances to advanced tech? I mean if humans where more advanced now would we send out ships dropping technology on possibly primtive races? how would they react - how would the human race react tomorrow if a ship appeared drop some type of advanced tech and then dissapears? if it was dropped in siberia how would the USA react ect.

Its not something an advanced race would do because they could be giving tech to a more primitive race or they would be giving tech to a hostile race - it makes no sence.

SG1 is a fun show., great laughs and all
    SGU is supposed to be grittier and have a better feel to it and appeal to a modern audience

BSG - the crew are effected physically as well as the ship as time passes
    Lost - Hurley was the same weight at the end of season 1 - the fans complained and then they find a Dharma food stash.

My point is modern popular shows make sense, respond to the fans and i hope SGU does the same and it has Continuity

They were seeding stargates to explore the universe.

Perfecto!

Comment

Yes but with what we know about the ancients and in general ANY advanced race in most sci-fi series are not big into sharing tech with more primitive races

Comment

Anybody feel free to corect me if Im wrong, but I think the concepty is that the first ship the ancients sent out was seeding life throughout the galaxy along with stargates, not simply handing out advanced tech to already developed races. Thats what I can gather anyway, =P

Comment

Originally posted by User45701 View Post
          Yes but with what we know about the ancients and in general ANY advanced race in most sci-fi series are not big into sharing tech with more primitive races
          Yeah, its not like the Ancients ever left a device capable of destroying all life in the galaxy lying around...
          Oh wait! They did... Well I surpose they didn't just leave an unstable time machine that creates time bubbles just sitting out there on a random planet...
          Oh wait! They did that too... Well at least they didn't just leave a big power generator that could destroy multiple universes, or at the very least 5/6 of a star system...
          Oh wait! Yepp they did that to. Damn!

It would appear that the Anicents are quite fond of just leaving there dangerous, unstable toys lying around. And while the Stargate can be dangerous if use in the wrong way or by the wrong people, its not nearly as dangerous as the other things.

Originally posted by Miyett View Post
          Anybody feel free to corect me if Im wrong, but I think the concepty is that the first ship the ancients sent out was seeding life throughout the galaxy along with stargates, not simply handing out advanced tech to already developed races. Thats what I can gather anyway, =P
          No the "Seeder Ship" seeded Stargates, not life.
          The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
          Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

They gave planets never heard of, stargates because of the ancients thirst for knowledge. Yeah they were stupid but it's not like the ancients were giving planets anything powerful and by the time any race discovered the stargate they would be in our time frame and would be able to work out how to get it working not work out how to use it as a weapon. Actually i shouldn't call them stupid they were very advanced but they made heaps of mistakes that is what i mean by stupid. Leaving these mistakes lying around was another mistake made by them their life is full of mistakes.

They didn't always think everything through

Comment

has no one thought that they may have seeded the gates in orbit as they did in PG or that they seeded the gates but locked them down so that only those advanced enough could use them anyway. sorta like a iq test before it will work

Comment

I will be honest. While the Ancients were flesh and blood, I never saw anything that remotely resembled a "Prime Directive". They were damned litter bugs. Look at all the gates in Pegasus and the MW. Humans were primitive when they came back to the MW after the first Siege of Atlantis but they left a ton of crap behind for primitive people to blow themselves up with.

Look in the episode Inferno (SGA 02x19) Norena was a scientist but didn't know squat and ended up being inadvertently responsible for the super volcano erupting because she didn't understand Ancient technology.

Hell if you want a prime example. Look at the episode Trinity (02x06) Rodney destroyed part of a solar system because he thought he could control "Project Arcturus". And as it seems to happen a lot, his ego wrote a check that no one could cash.....
                Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by User45701 View Post
                  First off - a few drinks in me so sorry if the spelling is bad and im spamming the forum with theads/posts but...

I don't quote understand the logic behind the shows story, im VERYglad there is another SG series because BSG is over soon and im running out of scifi with SGA over. So i am not complaining but i actually dont understand the story.

Why would an advanced race give tech or allow more primitive races access to advances to advanced tech? I mean if humans where more advanced now would we send out ships dropping technology on possibly primtive races? how would they react - how would the human race react tomorrow if a ship appeared drop some type of advanced tech and then dissapears? if it was dropped in siberia how would the USA react ect.

Its not something an advanced race would do because they could be giving tech to a more primitive race or they would be giving tech to a hostile race - it makes no sence.

SG1 is a fun show., great laughs and all
                  SGU is supposed to be grittier and have a better feel to it and appeal to a modern audience

BSG - the crew are effected physically as well as the ship as time passes
                  Lost - Hurley was the same weight at the end of season 1 - the fans complained and then they find a Dharma food stash.

My point is modern popular shows make sense, respond to the fans and i hope SGU does the same and it has Continuity

the anchients activities actually sarted most of the life rather than dropped a stargate on an inhabited planet. the planets are inhabited becaus of the anchients messing around. theres no startrek style prime directive at work, they did what they wanted cos they could

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                    the anchients activities actually sarted most of the life rather than dropped a stargate on an inhabited planet. the planets are inhabited becaus of the anchients messing around. theres no startrek style prime directive at work, they did what they wanted cos they could
                    Ye but the entire universe? ottherwise the story of SGa would the the ancients sent out 3 ships. 1 seeding life, one following 60 or 70 odd million years later seeding gates and then another the destiny following up to see how things are going? its a bit far fetched.

We have to assume all the races will be allien or else i dont know how they will explain human form aliens - star trek did an alright job - but the CGI cost of having true aliens in every galaxy will be high so we have to assume there will be either humans or human form (2 legs 2 arms, torso, head, ect) but differences in appearance like babylon 5 or star trek

Comment

I always felt the ancients had a sort of a Mary Celeste situation, where they basically disappeared from the galaxy leaving all their shiny toys around.

And the second half of your post is just plugging your other thread, you crafty little fiend.

Comment

lol ye - i realised how obvious it was when i sobered up - was going to edit it out but noone complained

Comment

We have had a gate for years and still couldn't build one. We learned very little about Ancient Tech from the gates themselves.

This really isn't sharing much ancient technology, just allowing Ancients to travel.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            We have had a gate for years and still couldn't build one. We learned very little about Ancient Tech from the gates themselves.

This really isn't sharing much ancient technology, just allowing Ancients to travel.
                            i dont think we lack the tech, the gates seem to largely be sollid with very little tech gubbins in them, the dhd's are the hard things to replicate. i think its a matter of not having the material and not having ways to manipulate that material in the correct way. MW gates are mostly naquadah but there are unidentified elements there aswell

Comment

Working...
                            X