The Midway Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Midway Station

How exactly did the intergalactic bridge work to get here? It was said it used a macro to transfer the buffer from gate to gate, but how? Did each gate automatically dial, transferring the buffer by a wormhole or what?
    The way the show suggested it, it was implied it just sent the buffer from gate to gate without dialing, which would make little sense. Further more, how can the gates dial each other, without co-ordinates? I'l assume they had some set via their position in space, but it seems a little confusing.

This may be just down to me not fully understanding the gate system and the way planet co-ordinates are applied via locations, etc. Also was it implied they can only dial to Earth and Atlantis, because I figured it could dial any planet in either system, that the midway station was just a travel hub.

Oh and would they get past the Earth/Atlantis Iris, since the gate you enter at midway isn't connected to Earth/Atlantis, no way to transmit an IDC.

maybe you can store an iris signal in the buffer and open the Iris this way? or send something with a special energy signiture through (the buffer can be read out by the earth dialing computer i presume)

greetings LAX

Comment

Each gate dials the next gate in the line, the information in the buffer is passed along until the last gate, where the information in the buffer is materialised. The gates have been pre-programmed with the coordinates of the two gates either side. No other gates have the gate addresses. From what happened in the midway episode I would guess that a connection from the gate bridge is always allowed through, maybe there is a delay at the last gate for an IDC to be sent through.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
        How exactly did the intergalactic bridge work to get here? It was said it used a macro to transfer the buffer from gate to gate, but how? Did each gate automatically dial, transferring the buffer by a wormhole or what?
        The way the show suggested it, it was implied it just sent the buffer from gate to gate without dialing, which would make little sense. Further more, how can the gates dial each other, without co-ordinates? I'l assume they had some set via their position in space, but it seems a little confusing.

This may be just down to me not fully understanding the gate system and the way planet co-ordinates are applied via locations, etc. Also was it implied they can only dial to Earth and Atlantis, because I figured it could dial any planet in either system, that the midway station was just a travel hub.

Oh and would they get past the Earth/Atlantis Iris, since the gate you enter at midway isn't connected to Earth/Atlantis, no way to transmit an IDC.

yes they sill work because in midway you see hariman "saying recieving midawy IDC, opening iris".

and my conjecture to how this is possible is that the gate rematerializes the stuff stored in the bufer in the order in which it entered the gate so all they would have to do is send the IDC then wait a few moments and step through. then when the last gate in the chain dials earth, it rematerializes the IDC and then a few moments later rematerializes the people.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

It kind of works in the same way that a mobile phone can send a text message.

You send the information from a mobile device, it is sent to a network antena and then it is transmitted to a database where it finds the number ETC and then send the data like it did in the beginning
          And the gate macro work's along the same lines, the information is sent allong the gate lines untill it reaches Midway.

And the reason it can dial to the Midway gate is because:

For a gate to be "On the Network" it needs to be in one fixed position (Like a planet), and then that position needs to bbe uploaded onto the Gate network so that all gates can connect to it (Kind of like a LAN/WLAN),
          And i guess that because of security reasons, only gates that have this macro assigned to them have access to the Midway gates, that's why the wraith needed a gate that was on the Macro network and was close to Midway to get into it... any thoughts and conjections to any of that?
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X