This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lantean defense satellite... How did it survive the war

Funny. You would think something as large, powerful, and important as the Lantean defense satellite from "The Siege, Part 1" would have... oh, I don't know... A Shield!

Peter Grodin said that all systems were functional (save the weapon) at the beginning of "The Siege, Part 1". So, if it did have a shield, they would have raised it before being fired at and ultimately destroyed. Also, during the Lantean-Wraith war, based on how quickly it was destroyed in "The Siege, Part 1", you would think that without a shield, that satellite would have been destroyed VERY quickly by the armada of attacking Wraith ships. For it to only be mildly damaged is very unlikely... unless it was only being attack by a single wraith dart. In which case, I can see how the satellite wouldn't have been completely obliterated. But of course, that's really unlikely.

While the weapon is incredibly powerful, it can only fire at one ship at a time... So, I doubt firepower alone could have held of the Wraith ships and protected the satellite for the several years the Atlantis was under siege. So, that brings us to the question, how did the satellite survive the war?

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

There was a network of satellites. That was the only one that wasn't destroyed by the Wraith...

McKAY: Not only has Teyla been able to ascertain that the Wraith are more interested in Earth than Atlantis, which is ... you know, terrifying, she realised that the hive ships will go right past the only surviving LaGrange point satellite.

ZELENKA: The last of what we assume were dozens of defence satellites destroyed during the Ancients' last stand with the Wraith.

McKAY: Yes, of course if we're right about what's wrong with it! But if we're right, and it's just out of power, the Wraith have simply been ignoring it.
    It seems like it might have survived because it ran out of power (as the result of a hit) so the Wraith didn't go to finish it off like they did with the others because it was no longer firing at them and appeared to be completely dead. As to why it would only suffer one hit, it's because it wasn't the only target. The fleet was firing at multiple satellites (not just it) and the Ancients may have been using them to support their own fleet of ships for all we know.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 21 February 2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Because the writers have to make some weakness' or stupid mistakes for the story to work. If it had Ancient Shields it would have destroyed the whole armada and the episode would have ended. I agree they should have said it had shields but that the Naquadah Generator couldn't power both the weapon and the shield or something.

Same reason the puddle jumpers don't have shields. We know the Ancients could have EASILY made a shield for it since they can create a personal shield the size of an orange.

Comment

It is possible that the shields if it had any were damaged. Also it might not have been destroyed because maybe during the war with the wraith the ancients powered it with a ZPM. It could have just fired continuously. In the episode they had to re-route power so it would get to the weapon. The wraith probably hit it in an attack. The ancients were most likely defending it with ships. Because of the continual wraith ships approaching it might have been decided to not repair the satellite and instead send the ships defending the satellite to another satellite. With the satellite offline the wraith wouldn't even care about it. it is likely they noticed that the satellite had stopped firing and targeted all the ships instead. Remember the satellite was designed to be unmanned. The wraith might have known that.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
          Because the writers have to make some weakness' or stupid mistakes for the story to work. If it had Ancient Shields it would have destroyed the whole armada and the episode would have ended. I agree they should have said it had shields but that the Naquadah Generator couldn't power both the weapon and the shield or something.

Same reason the puddle jumpers don't have shields. We know the Ancients could have EASILY made a shield for it since they can create a personal shield the size of an orange.
          i believe the jumpers do have shields, it has been said more than once: "we've just lost shields" while sheppard is flying a jumper.
          check my story's:
          Battlestar group 16
          and Under Siege
          and respond at:
          Battlestar group 16 (For BSG 16 and Under siege)
          my newest story:
          TFS Ticonderoga
          and respond at:
          TFS Ticonderoga

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            There was a network of satellites. That was the only one that wasn't destroyed by the Wraith...

It seems like it might have survived because it ran out of power (as the result of a hit) so the Wraith didn't go to finish it off like they did with the others because it was no longer firing at them and appeared to be completely dead. As to why it would only suffer one hit, it's because it wasn't the only target. The fleet was firing at multiple satellites (not just it) and the Ancients may have been using them to support their own fleet of ships for all we know.
            what he/she said

Comment

I believe the puddle jumper does have shields. Mckay is seen changing from cloak system to shields when in battle, but the shields seem pretty weak I looks like one or two well placed shots by a wraith hive who bring down the shields. Also Hi all im new here.

Comment

Hello! Good to "see" new faces here hehe welcome! Well as far as we know the jumpers didn't have shields till McKay turned their cloak into one, so they DO have shields now hehe. I think (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong ) that there is no recollection of the Ancients ever using the jumpers' cloak as a shield, same as they never used/turned Atlantis' shields into a cloak (I think that part is understandable because they were being attacked by the Wraith so what good would a cloak had done in Atlantis' case).
                Stargate Universe's main villain...THE DEVOURER OF WORLDS himself!...sure!sigpic

Comment

Originally them dont have shields, but Zelenka had modified the cloacking field to act has an shield. In the episode where Mckay sank with he damaged jumper. Thought i dont see the jumpers shield to stand aginst a hive shot. So they do better as a cloack then a shield.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

The wraith first turned a cloak into a sheild in the Defiant One in season1. Thats the first time we saw it in-show.

Comment

The wraith could have hade a force field/shield whit him.
                      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                        The wraith could have hade a force field/shield whit him.
                        i was thinking that because wraith don't have the gene so how could he of activated the puddle jumpers shield

Comment

maybe it sorted out the last of wraith cruisers hence the one shot down or whatever that ship was and a hit from a wraith weapon hit it and went of line or no power

then the wraith armada came and noctice the sat didnt fire and went straight for atlantis
                          sigpic

Comment

erm i doubt the wraith would have arrived knowing a satelite was there and not automatically opened fire:L
                            *my queen we have exited hyperspace and weapons are fully armed preparing to -Queen:hold ur fire............lets see wat happens .....
                            :L sounds lyk wraith tactics alryt

Comment

short answer the wraith couldn't be arsed to destroy a satallite that isn't working.
                              sigpic < Look what happens when you cancel stargate atlantis.

Mirror Mirror is a great maybe a little complicated but great.

Comment

Working...
                              X