X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis' Shield Plothole

in the siege pt 3 Mckay states

If they stop firing at it (the shield), it'll last almost indefinitely
    suggesting that to power a shield that is not being taxed takes up very little power. and yet in "First Strike"

Spoiler:
    after the asteroid has blocked the Asurans energy weapon, the shield is not being taxed, and yet that tiny power consumption is to much for atlantis to take flight.

i just think that in "First Stirke" the shield was not a good reason for atlantis not to take flight, and it was only lowered so that atlantis could get damaged and drop out of hyperspace, from a writing point of view

Thoughts?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post

suggesting that to power a shield that is not being taxed takes up very little power. and yet in "First Strike"

Spoiler:
    after the asteroid has blocked the Asurans energy weapon, the shield is not being taxed, and yet that tiny power consumption is to much for atlantis to take flight.

i just think that in "First Stirke" the shield was not a good reason for atlantis not to take flight, and it was only lowered so that atlantis could get damaged and drop out of hyperspace, from a writing point of view

Thoughts?
    Are you suggesting that TPTB convienently changed previously established tech specs so they add some dramatic value to the show? My God man, the beloved and all powerful TPTB would never stoop to such a level just for cheap drama points!

I for one hope that there are no new writers/producers/directors added to Universe because it would take away from all the wonderful moments, like the one mentioned by "Stargate Fan" above that we've all come to love and appreciate.

Comment

Spoiler:

Thoughts?
      well first of course they had the shield come down for some reason to damage the city lol.

secondly the star drive was ment to be run with 3 zpm's mckay just rigged it to work with one, so its not a stretch to belive that EVERY ounce of power possible would be needed.

so its realy not that hard to belive

Comment

Spoiler:

Thoughts?
        I think its two completely different situations, in your first example he was talking about the sheild operating out of combat with no other systems running besides the lights and airconditioning. In the second example the sheild was being operated alongside the intertial dampners, sublight engines and the powering up of the hyperdrive. In critical mass Mckay said that just powering up the intertial dampners took an insane amount of power. I would speculate that the sublights also take alot of power as theyre moving a CITY into orbit.

So its like the sheild takes 50% of a zpms output, but all the other things all take 50% as well, so 50+50+50=stalling out. If they had 3 zpms itd be ok, but not with just one. Also as further support in EATG they had to make a choice between sheilds, and either drones or using the engines to stay in orbit. So clearly theres a power/number of systems limit no matter how many zpms they have.

So its not really a plothole that they didnt have enough power in first strike compared to rising pt3 because one powerhogging system running indefinately<3 or 4 powerhogging systems running concurrently
        Last edited by kymeric; 17 February 2009, 05:29 AM.

Comment

and you have to remember that in the seige part 3 it is wraith weapons fire, in first strike it is replicator weapons which are far more advanced
          THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            I think its two completely different situations, in your first example he was talking about the sheild operating out of combat with no other systems running besides the lights and airconditioning. In the second example the sheild was being operated alongside the intertial dampners, sublight engines and the powering up of the hyperdrive. In critical mass Mckay said that just powering up the intertial dampners took an insane amount of power. I would speculate that the sublights also take alot of power as theyre moving a CITY into orbit.

So its like the sheild takes 50% of a zpms output, but all the other things all take 50% as well, so 50+50+50=stalling out. If they had 3 zpms itd be ok, but not with just one. Also as further support in EATG they had to make a choice between sheilds, and either drones or using the engines to stay in orbit. So clearly theres a power/number of systems limit no matter how many zpms they have.

So its not really a plothole that they didnt have enough power in first strike compared to rising pt3 because one powerhogging system running indefinately<3 or 4 powerhogging systems running concurrently
            I Accept Your Logic... Erm... Sort of...
            I accept that there were other systems active taxing the Zpm, but i dont agree that the shield was "the one" that pushed the power consumption over the limit, im sure there were other things they could have switched off.
            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

On a planet surface there is no pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the shield. In space however, you have to hold all the air in (which would be a decent amount) so it would put some pressure on the shields.
              Season 2: Episode "1969"
              Teal'c rides in front of the bus with a Michael, a hippie who is giving them a lift.
              Michael: So, that thing on your head, what does it symbolize? Peace?
              Teal'c: Slavery... to false gods.
              Michael: Right on! So, what is it made of?
              Teal'c (sternly): We shall not discuss this any further.
              Michael: Hey, I dig. It's cool. You just go AWOL?
              Teal'c: What exactly are you saying?
              Michael: You know... me and Jenny, back at the concert, we were so cool that we might even cross the border to Canada.
              Teal'c: For what reason?
              Michael: You know... the war.
              Teal'c; The war with Canada?
              Michael just stares at Teal'c with a confused expression on his face!

Comment

I accept that there were other systems active taxing the Zpm, but i dont agree that the shield was "the one" that pushed the power consumption over the limit, im sure there were other things they could have switched off.

Zelenka says in first strike that all non-essential systems had already been shut down, so short of maybe shutting down all the control consoles in the city (which I think has to be done manually anyway) there wasn't anywhere else for the power to come from.
                Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

And yet all along it has always been the case that only something with more power generation than they had would allow them to raise the shield, showing that it did use more than just a little energy in non-battle situations. But, at the same time, I think they are trying to portray that ZPMs hold so much power that despite that, the shield can hold out for a numerous, but undetermined period of time if left undisturbed (indefinitely). It may not use as much energy as the engines or things like bridging universes, so it is capable of holding out for thousands of years against the strain of water pressure (or without any strain). However, I think that goes more toward the capabilities of ZPMs. It holds so much energy that it can power systems that use a lot of energy for long periods of time, but the Ancients started building things that use insane amounts of energy which really can drain one quickly so that causes problems and it has further problems when powering multiple systems, especially when you're trying to power all those systems improperly. So, while the shields might not be a huge power hog in that situation, I can see it being enough of an issue when you can only output so much energy at once and some of it is going to the shields instead of the engines that were built to run on three ZPMs, not one and whatever the drilling platform provided.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 17 February 2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I believe that the shield was using the power to reload or was storing energy in buffers, which is a sensible thing to do as an interruption in enemy fire may mean that the enemy is charging a superweapon.

Comment

What else, those are the 3 big power draws. They couldnt turn off the engines obviously or theyd stop flying, they couldnt turn off the intertial dampners or suddenly they weigh as much as a city, that leaves only the sheild. What else wuld draw more power, the toilets?

Everything else was clearly operatable by naquada generators way back in season one.

Comment

Spoiler:

Thoughts?
                        Yes, the shield not being taxed takes up very little power -- as long as there is no other heavy power consumptions underway, as in First Strike, when the ship is powering up to fly.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

i think that the city star drive uses so much energy that only having one was pushing it, and having 1 with an active shield facing the pressure of an ancient weapon, that would really take a toll

so i dont see a plot hole
                          THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

I think what Meredith was trying to say was that if the Wraith stopped shooting and left that they could turn the shield off and not tax the Zed PM.
                            Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by THE HAM View Post
                              i think that the city star drive uses so much energy that only having one was pushing it, and having 1 with an active shield facing the pressure of an ancient weapon, that would really take a toll

so i dont see a plot hole
                              I agree. That combined with the fact that Sheppard wasn't exactly in the best state of mind to be using a device which is controlled...well...by the mind. I mean he seemed pretty stricken with guilt over the whole thing from my point of view because he was the one that 100% backed Ellis from the time he beamed down.

I really doubt he was putting his full concentration into the chair, and therefore may have also been experiencing difficulty in controlling where the power was going. But then again, remember they did only have 1 ZPM as compared to the Ancients who had the 3.
                              I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Working...
                              X