This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filmwise

I think they should go back to film rather than keep it the High deff cameras or whatever they started using after season 7.

everything looks TOO crisp and TOO real if ya get what i mean.
    episodes like vegas and collateral damage have some great filming techniques in, they should use more of them!

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
    Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
    SG1 -

How exactly can it be "too real"?

Comment

I agree... sort of.

The problem with HD Cameras when they first came out was that make up artists and costumers had to adjust how they did things because the cameras were so crisp they could pick up things like makeup particles on the face and tiny discrepancies in fabric/costumes that would be impossible to see on a grainier, richer format like film.

However, fort he most part, new technology and colour timing techniques have all but eliminated this. I like the HD... but what they REALLY have to do is lose the rear screen projected puddle. It looks baaad.

Comment

I agree that I always preferred the texture that film gives, over digital. Especially in TV.

Comment

Originally posted by editorguy View Post
          I agree... sort of.

The problem with HD Cameras when they first came out was that make up artists and costumers had to adjust how they did things because the cameras were so crisp they could pick up things like makeup particles on the face and tiny discrepancies in fabric/costumes that would be impossible to see on a grainier, richer format like film.

However, fort he most part, new technology and colour timing techniques have all but eliminated this. I like the HD... but what they REALLY have to do is lose the rear screen projected puddle. It looks baaad.
          Yeah that puddle projector looks awfull i know its a cost saving device but i would rather not see the gate active as much to have it have the proper CG puddle effect in always
          sigpic
          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
          Metal gear fan

Comment

As long as they do not continue to adjust the lighting of the scenes to compensate for 'not good enough' makeup I am fine.
            I really hate those extreme dark settings. Not a problem if it really suits the plot....but just as a method to save money?
            I prefer to see what is going on...without having to run screencaps through a program to 'lighten things up'.

So if going back to 'less high-tech' equipment results in a brighter environment again...I'm all for it.
            sigpic
            Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
            Spoiler:
            Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
            You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

There're also problems with the HD cameras doing flame and fireball type explosions. In this case, apparently the HD camera doesn't look real enough when filming real flame. That's why Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were still using film for those effects, at least until they got the bugs out.

Comment

HD Cameras will inherently have problems with an explosion-type thing. It's almost impossible for a chip to capture the light range of an explosion and has a habit of blowing out the rest of the frame. It isn't until recently that they have solved at least some of the problems, but they ain't there yet.. I mean.. RED is there.. but they don't shoot SG on RED.

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii View Post
                  How exactly can it be "too real"?
                  Very easily. Digital cameras look too much like a live feed on a news station or something, they don't have the richness of film, it's like you're watching actors on a set rather than characters in a story. I too hope they go back to film, I'll be disappointed it they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    Very easily. Digital cameras look too much like a live feed on a news station or something, they don't have the richness of film, it's like you're watching actors on a set rather than characters in a story. I too hope they go back to film, I'll be disappointed it they don't.
                    EXACTLY! Especially with smaller-budget shows, sets that would otherwise look better look too artificial. It just looks like a set. Unfortunately, there's no going back now.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                      EXACTLY! Especially with smaller-budget shows, sets that would otherwise look better look too artificial. It just looks like a set. Unfortunately, there's no going back now.
                      I don't see why, shows like Lost and Heroes etc. shoot on film don't they? Or do they look like that because they've had some sort of process done to them or something?

Comment

Yeah that puddle projector looks awfull i know its a cost saving device but i would rather not see the gate active as much to have it have the proper CG puddle effect in always
                        I would be willing to trade a fair number of other special effects for a proper gate with people walking through it.

Comment

I justed watched a S4 SG1 and it was GRAIN O RAMA, I don't want to go back to that

HD looks good, so much detail. Love it.

Comment

I love the new cameras....

Comment

I don't suppose that it matters to me. I have no intention of getting a HD TV. They use way more electricity, and I have a very good conventional TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X