PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse News, Articles, Reviews Misc. tidbits

Madwelshboy
February 15th, 2009, 02:00 AM
You watched the series premiere—but should you move into the Dollhouse for more?

Well, you've seen the first episode. What do you think? Did Joss Whedon's sci-fi spy-ish Dollhouse move you? Did you love it? Or did you rail against the Hollywood Powers That Be for taking Joss and us away from vampires and spaceships?

Friday's premiere proved Dollhouse is not Buffy, Angel or Firefly. Gone are the quippy dialogue and fun that made us worship all things Joss.

But let's face it: What could Joss give us at this point that wouldn't be just a little disappointing? What he did offer is a brave new Jossiverse that, thank God, has got more La Femme Nikita in it than My Own Worst Enemy ... not to mention Eliza Dushku doing a little ass-kicking (at least when she's not being wiped).

If you've decided to hang in there and see what Dollhouse has in store for us in the future, fear not. Joss offers us the one thing he's not capable of leaving out of any of his shows ... mythology. The next few episodes delve into the mystery behind Alpha, glitches with the wiping technology, and Agent Paul Ballard's continued search for Echo.

In next week's "The Target," Echo ends up in a most dangerous game as we learn more about her handler, Boyd Langton (Harry Lennix). Meanwhile, the Dollhouse personnel continue to have problems and Ballard pushes forth with his investigation. And in "Gray Hour," Echo is mysteriously remotely wiped in the middle of a perilous and illegal engagement, leaving the team to attempt a rescue.

These episodes offer the best and worst of Dollhouse. On the good side, the stories are well told, with terrific pace and action, while the mythology continues to intrigue. On the not-so-good side, the childlike Echo just isn't that interesting. The actress manages to infuse charisma into her different implanted personalities, but it's hard to hang on to a character that is constantly changing. Sure, it's fun to see Dushku play the ultimate outdoorswoman or a backup singer or a savvy thief, but which one of them are we supposed to care about?

Fortunately, Dushku has solid actors backing her up. Lennix is especially good. And it's great to see Amy Acker as Dr. Claire Saunders, even if she isn't as prominent as she could be. One note, though ... Fran Kranz's Topher Brink could be toned down a bit. Whedon's trying a little too hard to stuff as much comic relief as he can into this one character.

The one thing that becomes very apparent through the next episodes is that Whedon is going to take his time to tell his story his way. And while that may not be what all of us want out of Joss's latest brainchild, he's earned this. So suck it up, people. Give back a little, and give Dollhouse a few episodes to win you over.

As for me, I'll keep watching ... and promise to only occasionally whine because there aren't any vampires or spaceships.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhouse-raises-the-stakes-as-we-dig-into-whedons-latest-jossverse.php

Madwelshboy
February 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Snap Judgment: 'Dollhouse' -- Barbie or bad-ass?

Well, boys and girls, the moment we've all been waiting for -- the premiere of a new Joss Whedon TV show -- has come and gone. Dollhouse has reared its not-at-all-ugly head; what do We think of it? Did the mindbending adventures of Echo (Eliza Dushku) tickle your geek fancy, or were you left as blank as an Active's brain after an "engagement"?

You can read Ken Tucker's official take here, but I've got a few SPOILERY thoughts of my own...after the jump.

1. It's all pretty cool. Literally, there's something very calm, very serene about the way Dollhouse unfolded. Despite the warm earth tones of the Dollhouse itself, "Ghost" was a sterile, emotion-lite episode. Much of that comes from the fact that we know that whatever Echo is experiencing isn't "real" -- yes, her breakdown when confronted with the kidnapper-rapist was heartfelt and moving, but it wasn't Echo's breakdown. It belonged to the personality she'd been imprinted with. Maybe as time goes on, and Echo herself registers as a character, I'll become more invested.

2. Eliza Dushku sure is purty. In the words of my buddy Josh, so long as each adventure finds her in progressively fewer clothes, we're all good. (And is it weird that Tahmoh Penikett was wearing less clothes, on average, than Dushku? Whedon is, apparently, an equal opportunity titilator.)

3. But I'm not sure she's got the tools for the job. As I watched the premiere, I couldn't help but wonder, What would an actress like Naomi Watts do with this role? Super-confident and tough-as-nails are right in Dushku's wheelhouse, but when Whedon asks her to play brittle, or overwhelmed, or sheepish, or do an accent, things might not go as smoothly.

4. Fridays might be a blessing. It seemed like a curse, Dollhouse being scheduled on Friday night, usually the death zone for first-run TV. But perhaps the diminished expectations could do it a favor -- ratings that would be a failure on any other night might be seen as victory on a Friday.

5. For all that, I can't wait to see what happens next. Whedon is one of a handful of creators -- like Ronald D. Moore, James Cameron, and Warren Ellis -- whom I will trust to either get it right, or fail because their reach exceeding their grasp. Their mistakes are often as interesting as other people's successes. So I'm in for the long haul.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/dollhouse-premi.html

Madwelshboy
February 15th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Dollhouse's Memory Science Mixes Fact with Fiction

Memory erasure might seem like pure sci-fi, but it's actually on the cutting edge of science. PM's Digital Hollywood speaks with three memory experts to separate what's fact from what's fiction on Fox's new show, Dollhouse, premiering tonight at 9 pm

http://www.origin.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4303554.html

Madwelshboy
February 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Dollhouse: ''Ghost'' Review

US, February 13, 2009 - Advance Review: So… I've seen the first episode of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse. Yes, the much anticipated, much discussed, much stressed over -- by Whedon fans nervous about network tampering -- series arrived on my desk yesterday.

As you may have read by now, Dollhouse tells the tale of Echo (Eliza Dushku), a young woman working (though some would use more damning words) for a mysterious company as an "Active." Her memories have essentially been wiped clean, leaving her in a simplistic, childlike state... until she gets an assignment, at which point she has a completely new identity and skill set imprinted upon her, as she temporarily becomes whomever the client wants or needs her to be for a given situation.

The show doesn't feel like anything Joss Whedon has done before, in ways both positive and negative. On one hand, it's great that the man who brought us such amazing television as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly (all among my very favorite TV shows) is creating another new world and a series that isn't directly evoking his earlier work or feeling like a simple copy of something he's done before. And there's no doubt he's come up with an idea that is noteworthy and raises lots of intriguing questions.

On the other hand, some small moments aside, the first episode – and note, this is the new first episode, replacing the earlier one which has been discarded – is surprisingly lacking when it comes to the trademark wit Whedon is known for. Even the most outwardly geeky character, Topher (Fran Kranz), has only some mildly amusing lines rather than anything all that funny or memorable, and he's the type of clever audience proxy and/or sarcasm supplier Whedon usually excels at.

There is definitely a strong concept at work here – In a nutshell, you have a show that feels like Alias meets The Matrix, which is a pretty cool combination. The idea that Echo and her fellow "actives" can have any identity and skill imprinted upon them means the show has tremendous opportunities as far as exploring very different scenarios and even delving into multiple genres, depending on what Echo is sent to do each week. Without getting specific, the two scenarios in the first episode do a good job showing how very different these situations can be, as one is basically about romance and excitement, while the other is truly about life or death............

Rest can be found here:-
http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/940/940128p1.html

Madwelshboy
February 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Clearing up confusion about episode 2 of Dollhouse.

There's a lot of people online saying they are looking forward to the next episode of Dollhouse is see Joss's original vision on the series, as it's the original pilot. It's not. The original pilot episode, "Echo", has ended up in the trash can. (DVD extra please?). I know Joss said it was going to be episode 2, but the plan changed since then.

There is a LOT of confusion about this amongst folk, so to avoid let down on the day, that's where things stand.

Here's what to expect on Friday: a good episode written by Steve Deknight (you might recognise him from Buffy The Vampire Slayer). The introduction of Miracle Laurie's reoccurring character, a major new Whedonverse actress. The big bad of the series. And, yes, some funny.

http://www.dollverse.com/2009/02/clearing-up-confusion-about-episode-2.html

Madwelshboy
February 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Titles for upcoming episodes

Season 1, Ep 2: The Target
Season 1, Ep 3: Stage Fright
Season 1, Ep 4: Gray Hour
Season 1, Ep 5: Man On The Street
Season 1, Ep 6: True Believer
Season 1, Ep 7: Echoes
Season 1, Ep 8: Needs
Season 1, Ep 9: Haunted
Season 1, Ep 10: Four Engagements
Season 1, Ep 11: Briar Rose

http://www.tv.com/dollhouse/show/75224/episode_guide.html

check the spoiler thread for spoilers on all upcoming episodes.
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=64251

Madwelshboy
February 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
'Dollhouse': Things are looking up
Feb 21, 2009, 04:32 PM | by Abby West

What a big improvement from last week's premiere, which I didn't love the way I wanted to. The dialogue and pacing just worked better in this episode ("The Target") than it did in the first — even with the timeline jumping back and forth. (Never mind the special thrill of seeing Matt Keesler (The Middleman) playing it dark as the villain.) We got some juicy back story on Alpha, a human doll who went crazy after his memory failed to be wiped clean and killed a bunch of people back at the dollhouse. But he spared our girl Echo. We also saw Langdon (Harry Lennix) begin his time as Echo's handler. Lennix sold his progression from having barely-contained disdain for Echo to something akin to care and concern. And he got to break off some of the best lines. (Topher explaining Alpha's meltdown: "Still working out the kinkies." Langdon: "Like the blood? The screaming? The dying?")

And there was more insight into the extent of Agent Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett)'s obsession with finding out about the dollhouse. All the while, Echo was seeing images of previous implanted personalities and that can't be good. And then there was the overarching conspiracy that seems to involve Alpha and Echo. All good stuff that I have to believe will tie together satisfyingly because...well because I'm a Whedonite.

I really enjoyed Echo's up-for-anything, outdoorsy-girl personality this week but it made me realize that I like Elisha Dushku best when she's kind of a badass (like the clip below). The wounded-or-scared-girl act doesn't always ring true for me, mostly because it's just her looking confused. While I hate to call into question Dushku's acting chops, I have to agree with Marc Bernardin's comment last week: Asking more of her than badassness "might not go as smoothly."

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/dollhouse-episo.html

Madwelshboy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
'Dollhouse': The Verdict
Sunday, February 22 2009, 08:00 GMT

By Ben Rawson-Jones, Cult Editor

Dollhouse has generated plenty of headlines over the last year, with numerous delays and rumours of artistic differences between creator Joss Whedon and the Fox network. Now that the original pilot has been ditched and a new one assembled, the series has finally hit the airwaves over in the States - but is it worth the wait?

Fans of Buffy and Firefly will be fully aware that when the words 'Written and Directed by Joss Whedon' flash up on the screen at the start of any given episode, it's a surefire sign of quality. Sadly, this is not the case for Whedon's handling of the opening Dollhouse episode, which is largely an uninvolving mess. It's hard not to feel like a passive bystander to the onscreen events, such is the lack of any compelling dramatic hook, and the show looks like little more than an excuse for lead Eliza Dushku to play dress-up and make believe.

The former Buffy star plays Echo, an operative for a mysterious, non-government agency called Dollhouse, who frequently has her mind partially wiped and new personas and memories implanted for the sake of a new 'engagement'. Later on, an FBI Agent investigating the Dollhouse suggests that this identity erasure is tantamount to murder. An interesting premise on paper, but the pre-credits scenes - so vital in the structure of a pilot episode and selling the show - fails to sufficiently build up the intrigue. The rest of the show is hardly an improvement.

A cryptic chat between Echo and her stiff upper-lipped boss (Olivia Williams) opens proceedings and hints at a compelling backstory. Yet then we're quickly whisked off to a couple of painfully long sequences featuring Echo racing round on a motorbike and dancing around to Lady GaGa on a dancefloor with the man of her dreams. These happy memories are soon erased when her team extracts her from her location.

The problem here, and the rest of the episode, is that there's no reason to care for Echo's predicament or fate. A few hints about her and the 'Dollhouse' organisation's circumstances are thrown in along the way, but are simply not compelling enough to hook viewers into the on-screen events. Alongside failing to successfully establish the show's premise, a self-contained story featuring the abduction of a 12 year-old girl fails to impress.

It all feels rather laboured as Echo, in her new guise as the facilitator of the exchange of the girl for the $5 million ransom, has guns pointed at her and has some painful childhood memories (not hers) come back to haunt her and help her tackle the kidnappers. Again, this is all depicted in such a subdued and undramatic manner that it's hard to greet these developments with more than a shrug. Where is the wit and punch so abundant in Buffy?

Dollhouse throws up plenty of questions, but fails to make us crave answers in the same manner that a vaguely similar show like Alias managed to do in the space of its opening few minutes. It's early days for Joss Whedon's new show and it deserves time to develop and expand upon its central ideas, but the omens are not good given its soulless opener. One can't help but wonder how vastly superior the original pilot that Fox rejected is.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a147383/dollhouse-the-verdict.html

Madwelshboy
February 26th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Dollhouse: Ghost (season 1, episode 1)

A secret organisation uses ‘dolls’ with implanted personalities to undertake dangerous missions, including top agent Echo (Eliza Dushku). At the end of missions the dolls’ memories can be wiped for new missions…

There’s always a hellava lot of hype and expectation with any new Joss Whedon venture. Dollhouse is no exception, but those expectations have been been accompanied by stories of production woes: the pilot had to be completely re-shot, while Whedon shut down production after three episodes to spend time rewriting the scripts.

So is this an unmitigated disaster or simply a show that’s been finely tuned to perfection? Neither as it turns out…

The first episode of Dollhouse is as slickly put together as you'd imagine, featuring impressive sets, a cool-looking heroine and some neat action scenes. But going by this opening episode, the concept of Dollhouse is difficult to get to grips with. It’s too convoluted for its own good – especially as it just seems to be a set-up for a formula spy-fi drama along the lines of Alias – and there’s little in the way of the snappy dialogue you’d expect from Whedon.

The concept also appears to have a fundamental flaw – how can Dushku’s character really progress when her memory is wiped at the end of every episode? - though Whedon has talked about the various character arcs he's envisaged, so maybe future episodes will play with the central premise. The other characters in this episode – including Amy Acker’s Dollhouse doctor and Tahmoh Penikett’s federal agent – don’t get much of a look-in, but again hopefully future episodes will expand their roles a little more.

Whedon is an expert enough showrunner to ensure this isn’t an inferior drama along the lines of Painkiller Jane or Bionic Woman. But whether Dollhouse has the potential to turn into another Buffy-style phenomenon (or even pick up the smaller devoted fanbase of Firefly) is as yet uncertain…. James Skipp

VERDICT: 6/10

http://www.dwscifi.com/reviews/3161-dollhouse-ghost-season-1-episode-1

Madwelshboy
March 2nd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Dollhouse - The Must List: What's Hot for the Week of March 1, 2009

Reader's Choice - DOLLHOUSE

It is a breath of fresh air to have Joss Whedon's voice back. The premise of the show has infinite possibilities for fantastic-ness. —Rachel

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20209564_20209584_20262060_11,00.html

Madwelshboy
March 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Emily in Napa, Calif.: Any hopes of seeing Michelle Trachtenberg on Joss Whedon's Dollhouse?

Don't look for little Dawn to be back in the Jossverse any time soon. Michelle just told me that while she's happy for her former boss, she's not too familiar with his new show. "I haven't even seen it. I haven't heard much about it except it's premiered and congratulations for that!" Don't be too disappointed, though. Her lack of knowledge on all things Dollhouse is simply because she's too busy playing the evil Georgina Sparks again. "I'm most excited to be back on Gossip Girl. It has wonderful people, and it's really nice just having my first day back, hearing 'Welcome back.' "

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b102408_spoiler_chat_are_dan_serena_really_over.html

Madwelshboy
March 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Dollhouse’s Future In The Balance

The ratings for Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse have not been good, but Fox’s experiment with “Remote Free TV” during the show and its resulting reportedly higher C+3 commercial ratings (what I hear from credible sources, I have not seen the numbers) than would be indicated by its show ratings has its future still hanging in the balance. I’m certain that all 13 episodes of Dollhouse will air this season, so the results of the later shows, and their ratings trend, will matter a lot more than the shows that have already aired.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/03/dollhouses-future-in-the-balance/13836

Madwelshboy
March 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Episode 1.12 will be called "Omega" and will air on the 8th May 2009.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/03/dollhouse-episode-112-omega.html

Madwelshboy
March 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Any news if Terminator or Dollhouse will be picked up for next year? — Patrick

MATT: Sarah Connor's fate seemed cinched (in the bad way) until last week, when both of Fox's Friday-night shows delivered somewhat unexpected ratings gains. Now, fingers are anxiously crossed in Terminatorland until May, when the final word comes down. The forecast looks a bit better for Dollhouse. Joss Whedon was not kidding when he touted this week's episode as the one to watch. I audibly gasped at least once while screening it, then fast hit rewind to make sure I had indeed heard what I thought I heard. It also boasts one of the best hand-to-hand fight scenes I have seen in some time, a cool reveal about the Dollhouse's business model and, as an added bonus, much shirtless Tahmoh.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/MegaBuzz-Battlestar-Greys-1004144.aspx

LaCroix
March 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Jane Espenson recently had a live chat at AfterElton where she talked about her various projects past and present, inclueding Dollhouse.

Here's a link to that chat:

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/michaeljensen/live-chat-with-jane-espenson

Madwelshboy
March 24th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Sci Fi acquires 'Dollhouse', 'Knight Rider'
Friday, March 20 2009, 16:33 GMT

By Dan French

The Sci Fi Channel has picked up the UK rights to two new US dramas, it has been announced.

The NBC Universal-owned channel has secured the first run UK pay-TV rights to Joss Whedon's Dollhouse and the sequel to David Hasselhoff's 1980s show Knight Rider.

"We're dedicated to offering our audience the most exciting content available and are thrilled to become the UK home for two such highly anticipated series," said Jon Farrar, programming director for NBC Universal Global Networks. "Knight Rider and Dollhouse both hail from fine pedigrees, clearly reflected in their superior production values.

"The special effects in both series are genuinely show-stopping and likely to be the subject of many water-cooler moments for fans, who have the added choice of watching in either standard or high definition.”

Both shows have been secured for their 13-episode first seasons. The agreement also includes the renewal of repeat rights to seasons one to five of Whedon’s popular Buffy spinoff Angel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a150241/sci-fi-acquires-dollhouse-knight-rider.html

Madwelshboy
March 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
'Dollhouse' and 'Supernatural' finds laughs and revelations in fantasy

It was a great week for mixing humor and fantasy on both Dollhouse and Supernatural. Joss Whedon's Dollhouse continued its now-rapidly-accelerating revealing of the origins of Eliza Dushku's Echo/Catherine, while Eric Kripke's Supernatural offered a sort of alternate-universe tale of Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) as office workers fated to meet.

Dollhouse is leading up to next week's do-not-miss episode which Fox is promoting as an "event": "Dollhouse: The Awakening." In the meantime, we got glimpses of doll Echo's real identity, Caroline, with flashbacks to the deal she struck with Dollhouse dominatrix (as I like to think of her) Adelle DeWitt. But the main plot was a corker about a drug that infected all the major players, turning them into, in DeWitt's phrase, "idiot children." It gave this diverse cast a chance to show new sides of themselves. The result was both funny (Topher: "You haven't seen my drawer of inappropriate starches?") and revealing. Like I said, don't miss next week.

<snip>

Both Dollhouse and Supernatural used our knowledge of what's come before to enrich our knowledge of their heroes, and deepen our understanding of their basic

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/03/dollhouse-super.html

Madwelshboy
March 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Dollhouse - All Episodes to Air

Fox have told Dollverse that all 13 episodes of DOLLHOUSE will definitely now air.

The episodes and air dates left:

1-08 - April 3
"Needs"

1-09 - April 10
"Spy in the House of Love"

April 17 - DOLLHOUSE off air due to Prison Break

1-10 - April 24
"Haunted"

1-11 - May 1
"Briar Rose"

1-12 - May 8
"Omega"

1-13 - May 15
"Epitaph One"

After DOLLHOUSE finishes, we've been told a new series called "MENTAL" will be taking over the timeslot.

Update: we've been tipped off the May 15th airing of "Epitaph One" (yes, the finale) may be pre-empted by the Prison Break finale. No confirmation on that, and FOX says different.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/03/dollhouse-all-episodes-to-air.html

Madwelshboy
April 6th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Fox Leaning Toward 'Dollhouse' Renewal

The Fox network is just a step away from shaking up its Friday lineup for the 2009-10 season, canning one show and considering a move to a new night for a second.

Let's hit the good news first. Airlock Alpha has learned that Fox is looking to give its struggling "Dollhouse" a second season, to see if it can grow some legs on a new night. Fox had originally intended "Dollhouse" to air Mondays with "24," but Fox instead decided to move "House" to that spot to replace "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," and to create sort of a genre theme night on Fridays.

The audience for "Dollhouse" are not exactly where Fox had hoped they would be, however, critical reaction to later episodes following its February premiere has grown more positive toward the series as it has had the chance to flesh itself out. Showrunner Joss Whedon had said ahead of its premiere that he had gone back to retool certain aspects of the show, including using a new premiere episode than what was originally planned, eventually canning what would have been the premiere.

The move seems to be an easy one for Fox. While the audience hasn't been as large as expected, it has instead remained stable. It's not a number that Fox uses, but "Dollhouse" carries a BlipNetwork Stability Index Rating of 92.0, better than every other network genre show currently on television outside of "Reaper" on The CW, which has a 94.7. A Stability Index Rating is the comparison of the show's highest overnight rating and its average overnight rating to see how much of its overall audience a show has retained.

Other factors in favor of the show continuing is that it's not as expensive as other Fox shows. Much of its upfront costs, including the construction of the elaborate set that is the dollhouse itself, were covered by funds that normally would've paid for a pilot (no pilot was made for "Dollhouse"). Also, while Whedon's Mutant Enemy Productions and star Eliza Dushku's Boston Diva Productions are tied to the series, 20th Century Fox Television is still the primary production company involved, which means its licensing fee is not as steep as it would be if the show was produced by another studio.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/04/fox-leaning-toward-dollhouse-renewal.html

Madwelshboy
April 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Question: Do you have any info on Dollhouse's second season chances? I've fallen in love with the show and I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear if I'll get another season of it. --Mandi

Ausiello: I wish I could share your enthusiasm. I'm trying really hard to get into this show but it's just not happening. I actually thought the recent (and much-heralded) reboot episode was one of the weakest of the season. As far as a second season goes, I don't have any solid evidence to back this up (aside from those anemic ratings), but I'd say it's a long shot.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/ask-ausiello--1.html

Madwelshboy
April 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Dollhouse - Only getting 12 Episodes aired?

I was perusing the upcoming schedule notes from FOX, including the series finale of Prison Break on May 15, and I noticed a curious thing. FOX lists the May 8th episode as Omega, the twelfth episode of Dollhouse, as its season finale.

I’ve seen other sites list Epitaph One, the thirteenth episode as the finale that would air on May 15. Clearly that isn’t happening because Prison Break’s finale on May 15th is two hours.

The May schedule information only goes through May Sweeps which end on Thursday May 20, 2009, so I’m not sure what the schedule for beyond that looks like, but for now it looks like they only plan to air 12 episodes of Dollhouse with the season finale on May 8th.

So either I’m wrong (very possible), the information I’m looking at is wrong (possible, but less likely) or it looks like we’re only getting twelve episodes of Dollhouse, and if they’ve actually made 13.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-only-getting-12-episodes.html

ShadowMaat
April 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Felicia Day just posted a confirm on Twitter (http://twitter.com/feliciaday) that the 13th ep will not, in fact, air.

Man, day getting worse and worse. Found out my Dollhouse ep, #13 isn't gonna air. Only on DVD. Such a great part too. Thx Fox. :(

Frak you, FOX.

EDIT: And from Jed, too (http://twitter.com/drhorrible):

Alas, rumors are true. Dollhouse ep 13 isn't going to air. This makes us sad. This makes Felicia sad. How does it make you feel? Why don't share those feelings with FOX?

ShadowMaat
April 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
FOX has now fired back with links to a couple of articles clarifying the 13th ep fiasco: An article on Hitfix (http://tinyurl.com/d7vzrp) & a spoilery one from E! Online (http://tinyurl.com/d6lu6d)

LoneStar1836
April 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
This is what Tim Minear (http://whedonesque.com/comments/19822#304585) had to say about it over at Whedonesque:

Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it’s awesome.

Madwelshboy
April 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Joss Whedon speculates on Dollhouse's future and teases the 13th episode

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's sci-fi series Dollhouse, told a group of reporters that he's resigned to the show's fate and that a second-season pickup is unlikely, but that he holds out hope for a renewal. Fox has not yet announced its plans, but the show's ratings have been below expectations and it is not expected to be picked up.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-whedon-speculates-on.php

ShadowMaat
April 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Was at the Dollhouse panel at Paleyfest and tweeted throughout. I'm regurgitating them here, but for those unfamiliar with Twitter, you'll need to start at the bottom and work back up because I'm too tired to put them in proper chronology. There will be more coherent reports from other sources I'm sure. Sorry for the randomness, lack of sentence structure and typos. Livebloggingtweeting is very hard.

Should have taken my program up to get signed too, everyone went right past me, coulda got sigs. But Joss was TOP priority esp after last PM
Hopefully someone can clarify the "six season plan" thing. The questioner was talking abt Firefly but... I dunno. Still jittery.
Survived! Wow it's a good thing I'm not claustrophobic like Enver because I was smushed against the stage in a crowd of pp & sign this items
joss liked the laptop. pic blurry from nerves
http://twitpic.com/3dzgk -[pic of my Evil League of Evil laptop w/Joss's sig]
http://twitpic.com/3dz28 - [pic of Eliza]
miracle likes little nook under tophers office.
eliza likes art room. paint, bonsai, killing ppl... oops nvrmind. lol. fran likes his lab & saunders office. dichen ditto.
whats with human experimentation theme in joss work? tells us abt society & selves. watched wrong movies as a kid. AI a big influence
Joss has six year arc. not sure if firefly or dhouse. sorry for tweet flood guys.
fran has crazy poofy hair. more will be revealed abt motivations of characters. fact that blanks have personalities will play in
enver is claustrophobic. they left him in pod once. awww.
fran wants scene of topher buying groceries. maybe sees Ballard in store...
dolls names get reused. 30-40 dolls. Double Alpha? tangofoxtrotcharlie?
matt roush nerdy q. tru purpose of dhouse... collcting data on doll users
Joss says pictured adele as dragonlady until olivia? tried for part. good at making u feel for her even ax she does bad things
Miracle thinks pods are comfy and luvs how dolls are all different. Fran sez topher basically kid. has no life or connections out of dhouse
if the dollhouse operatly smoothly with no problems would there be a show? joss sez itd be porn.
eliza thinks one of best scenes is mellie going active. and she loves to watch the show
think there have been a lot of twists & turns? Joss says "dude, just wait."
Joss kept trying to get writers to say what their dark doll fantasies would be & everyone woukd clam up
uhh... penis puppet??
Topher creates these dolls & makes them parade around and omg who does that?? (cough Joss cough)
Lady execs happy to work with Joss. Joke that he had to rein them in frm going too far [note: Liz Craft & Sarah Fain]
Adele's pitch to client frm pilot is in 13. Lots of pilot stuff throughout series.
Eliza out of everyine shes worked with hes most intelligent and very pro feminist. grt admiration for him. liked blind girl & play old woman [notes: "he" is Joss and the "old woman" thing references next week's ep]
12 is finale. 13 is just weird ****. post apocalyptic horror movie.
was practically in touching distance as they go to stage. re: 13 ep. Suits taking a look & deciding. Joss now has hope for s2. yay?
banana pancakes. still lol [note: they screened the ep "Needs"]
http://twitpic.com/3dsdb - [pic of Joss]

EDIT: Here's a better writeup (http://reporter.blogs.com/paley/2009/04/dollhouse.html) (thanks for the link, Jed/Zack/Maurissa/whoever)

Madwelshboy
April 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Stars Spill on Dollhouse's Star-Crossed Relationships

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b119187_stars_spill_on_dollhouses_star-crossed.html?sid=twitterfeed_kristin&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_kristin

Madwelshboy
May 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Radha: Dollhouse's chances of renewal are reportedly slim. Please, please say it isn't so! Do you have any happier news?

You know that 14th episode of Dollhouse that's set in a post-Apocalyptic universe and that won't be appearing on Fox network but will be included on the season-one DVD? Well, no one's officially confirming anything, and this is all still entirely in the theoretical dreamy dream stage, but reliable sources tell us exclusively that spinning off "Epitaph One" into a new series is "not exactly outside the realm of Joss’ master plan." So even if Dollhouse proper doesn't get a pickup for season two, there might still be an alternate Dollverse for us to play in. What do you think of that?!

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b123022_this_just_in_greys_anatomy_going_kill.html

Madwelshboy
May 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Dollhouse - Epitaph One to screen first at Comic-Con

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/05/dollhouse-epitaph-one-to-screen-first.html

Pharaoh Atem
May 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
the first season is available for pre-order http://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Season-One-Eliza-Dushku/dp/B0024FAR66/ref=pd_sim_d_27

i did a quick skim of the thread hope it wasn't already posted

Madwelshboy
June 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Bones and Dollhouse - Australian TV Week Scans

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/06/bones-and-dollhouse-australian-tv-week.html

ShadowMaat
June 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Miracle Laurie (November) is in the running for Best Breakout Star of 2009 in E! Online's Tater Tops Awards (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b126987_tater_tops_2009_who_this_seasons.html).

Thunder Hawk
June 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM
http://www.scifistream.com/2009/06/12/joss-whedon-who-will-return-and-who-might-not-to-the-dollhouse/

Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon told EW.com that he is two weeks into breaking stories for the Fox sci-fi series' second season, having wrapped his top-secret horror film The Cabin in the Woods on May 29.

With one season under their belt, Whedon and his writers "understand what works, and what didn't work so well or what we weren't so thrilled about," he told the site. "We don't have the onus of trying to be a big hit sitting on our shoulders. We can just be ourselves. And so the stories we're breaking are pure, and exciting, and everybody's on-board in the room, and it's never flowed better."

rest at linkk

Madwelshboy
June 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Dollhouse - Comic-Con Panel announced

DOLLHOUSE will have a presence at this year’s COMIC-CON in San Diego as series creator/writer/director and executive producer Joss Whedon and star/producer Eliza Dushku will appear at a special 2-hour DOLLHOUSE session on Friday, July 24 (exact time TBC) where audience members will have the first opportunity to watch an exclusive screening of “Epitaph One” (which will be included on the Dollhouse Season One DVD released) and then open the floor for a Q & A about their thoughts on the series’ freshman year and what they have planned for the upcoming season two.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/06/dollhouse-comic-con-panel-announced.html

Madwelshboy
June 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
FOX Fall Premiere Dates

Friday, Sept. 18 9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT DOLLHOUSE (Season Premiere)

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/06/fox-fall-premiere-dates.html

Killdeer
June 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Dollhouse and DVR viewing, from TV by the Numbers. (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/06/18/dollhouse-had-largest-share-of-viewing-from-dvrs-did-that-save-the-show/21052)

This is an interesting statement:

One of Fox’s public reasons for renewing Dollhouse was its high share of DVR viewing. Since I think the real reason Dollhouse was renewed was that its future budget was reduced to reality show levels, and the DVR viewing was just public posturing, I don’t expect to hear any more about it from them.

Milena_D
June 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Dollhouse fans! :D

I figured many among you might be fans of Whedon and his other works like Buffy and Angel so I bring you a pimp to a great Livejournal community you might like. :D It's a community where you apply to join one of four teams (Angel, Buffy, Dollhouse, or Firefly) and with your teammates you compete against other teams by completing small tasks (like creating a banner) and winning points, with which you'll crush your opponents when the next Apocalypse comes around. :P It's been pretty awesome so far! :D

Here's the link for any of you who might be interested in playing (it's great fun to tide us over until DH starts up again next season!)

Whedonland (http://community.livejournal.com/whedonland)

I look forward to seeing new faces! :D

~ Gab of The Browncoats (Team Firefly)

Madwelshboy
July 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
News briefs: Dollhouse preorders soar

A special Comic-Con edition of the first season of Fox's Dollhouse went on sale on DVD and Blu-ray on Monday, and within a couple of hours, fans crashed the Foxstore.com site; the regular edition of Dollhouse will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on July 28.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/news-briefs-dollhouse-pre.php

Dr. Harry Sullivan
July 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Information about Dollhouse's season two premiere at link below :)

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/joss-whedons-dollhouse-returns-in-september/

dollhouse360i
July 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hi! I'm Matt and I work with Fox Home Entertainment. This thread has been great at keeping everyone up with the latest Dollhouse Blu-ray/DVD news, so hopefully I can just fill you in on some additional content that is online.

First, I wanted to let you know a clip from "Epitaph One" has been released in case you hadn't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Ni-bmODsk

Also, Meebo is featuring exclusive clips of Joss Whedon discussing Dollhouse that users can share with their friends (topics include the making of the series, casting, and Season 2): http://www.meebo.com/share/fox_dollhouse

I will be back as the July 28th Blu-Ray/DVD release gets closer, but you can post here or pm me if you have any questions.

-Matt (360i on behalf of Fox Home Entertainment)

dollhouse360i
July 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Just a quick heads up for anyone going to Comic-Con, Eliza and Joss will be doing a signing from 6:15-7pm on Friday.This will be a great opp to get your limited edition Blu-ray or DVD autographed (you can still pre-order at Foxstore.com through this weekend).

-Matt (360i on behalf of Fox Home Entertainment)

ShadowMaat
July 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM
The song from the ep Epitaph 1 "Remains" is currently available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Remains/dp/B002HTN5QS) and should (fingers crossed!) be available internationally on iTunes "soon." The song is written & performed by Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen.

dollhouse360i
July 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Now that Comic-Con has passed, I wanted to remind you all that season 1 of Dollhouse comes out on Blu-ray and DVD today. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about the release, including the unaired pilot and Epitaph One episodes.

Also, here is a video of Joss discussing the release and some previews of the bonus material: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8TAx9wxkq0

Enjoy!
Matt (360i on behalf of Fox Home Entertainment)

Madwelshboy
August 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Dichen Lachman to star in Star Wars?

SciFiNow recently interviewed Dollhouse’s Dichen Lachman and amid all the Whedon-related banter, we managed to get her on the subject of Star Wars. Responding to rumours that she is currently lined up to feature in the upcoming TV series based around the franchise, Lachman had the following to say:

“If that’s true, then that’s amazing. If it’s the TV series then that would be awesome if I could do that after Dollhouse, as I am a huge Star Wars fan.” Following this she geeked us out with some frankly awesome trivia: “I can tell you that the Ewoks in Return Of The Jedi are actually speaking Tibetan,” she said. “I can actually translate what they are saying, which is: ‘What’s this? What’s this? Oh hurry, hurry, hurry’ mostly repeating the same stuff. So I bet you didn’t know that.”

On a final thought Lachman made it clear that, rumour or not, she would like to feature in this series:

“I am a huge George Lucas fan; I love those movies and that would be a dream come true – I’d love to do it, it would be incredible,” she said before suggesting: “Maybe I could be Queen of the Ewoks.”

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/dichen-lachman-to-star-in-star-wars/

Dr. Harry Sullivan
October 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Take Echo Out of the Dollhouse and Bring her to Life on Your Desktop - see link below :)

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/2009/10/02/take-echo-out-of-the-dollhouse/

Madwelshboy
October 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
From E Online:

Kelly in Ft. Myers, Fla.: I've heard that our favorite Dollhouse may be in danger. Does it help the rating if people watch on iTunes or Hulu? I always try to do my best.

Don't we all? Sadly, we Dollhouse fans are going to have to do better—the ratings are terrible. While the Fox bosses were gracious to renew it, their patience has to be wearing thin. If you possibly can (and we know it's hopelessly old-fashioned and uncool), please watch it live on Friday night and/or slip a $20 to any Nielsen families you might know in hopes that they will do the same.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b147553_spoiler_chat_can_new_gossip_girl_be.html

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Great news from fox today guys! They R going 2 air all 13. But keep up the dvr & tell all your friends to tune in Fri Oct 23 onwards
So... looks like we're getting the full season after all. For what it's worth. ;)

DigiFluid
October 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Good....the whole season this year :D

DigiFluid
January 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Dollhouse is well and truly done next week. (http://io9.com/5449871/whedon-dollhouse-is-definitely-over)

Amalthea
January 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Dollhouse is well and truly done next week. (http://io9.com/5449871/whedon-dollhouse-is-definitely-over)

Week after next, actually. The telethon for Haiti has bumped it.

DigiFluid
January 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hm. It's still on the schedule for Global here....

Amalthea
January 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hm. It's still on the schedule for Global here....

As of right now on my digital guide, all of Global is TBA on Friday. I think all three major Canadian networks are going to dump regular programming for the Haiti telethon.

DigiFluid
January 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
As of right now on my digital guide, all of Global is TBA on Friday. I think all three major Canadian networks are going to dump regular programming for the Haiti telethon.
They have....I didn't check my digital guide, just the online one which hadn't changed. Now that the hour is nearly upon is, they're most definitely showing the telethon. I guess Dollhouse is bumped to next week.

huntress
January 23rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
The song from the ep Epitaph 1 "Remains" is currently available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Remains/dp/B002HTN5QS) and should (fingers crossed!) be available internationally on iTunes "soon." The song is written & performed by Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen.

Yeah I have it but I wonder when Jed will finally release "Drones" from "Belonging". I really want that song.

Madwelshboy
March 3rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
'Dollhouse' alum lands NBC comedy pilot

Dollhouse star Fran Kranz has landed a role on NBC comedy pilot Friends With Benefits, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The single-camera project is penned by (500) Days of Summer writers Michael Weber and Scott Neustadler and will be directed by Wedding Crashers helmer David Dobkin.

The plot sees five friends looking for love through various means, but settling for "friends with benefits" in the meantime.

Kranz will play one of the group, a nerdy, hopeless romantic who is worth around $12 million after selling an algorithm to Google.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s63/dollhouse/news/a206158/dollhouse-alum-lands-nbc-comedy-pilot.html