Are they the same universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they the same universe?

I saw the re-runs of the old Battlestar and our current one with parallel plots.

I know there has been a supposition now raised by RDM's opening visuals in No Exits, which I want to see if anyone would support.

What if the old Battlestar Galactica of the late 1970's and early 1980's were the first incarnation of the same war between man and machine that has been fought for eons?

If everything has happened once and it happens again, who is to say Battlestar Galactica 2004 is not just a re-imagining, but a full-fledged member of the same universe.

Anyone think both stories could work together in the same universe?
    Beyond all odds, life will find a way

-Jurassic Park

Those were clips from 'Razor', not Discostar Galactica.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What if the show is pulling a Matrix connection?

Remember in the Matrix, we first thought that it was just one war at one time, but what if RDM is trying the same idea on a grander scale.

Mankind are evolved from Cylons who stop resurrecting; they forget their old technological past, then redevelop one day to construct centurions for a Cylon war.

The Cylons want to emulate their creators and develop biological units capable of reproduction. Eventually the old Centurions are either destroyed or scrapped and these biological cylons live on to repeat the same mistakes.

It could fit the original script if there was continuously the same cat and mouse interplay between creator and destroyer.
      Beyond all odds, life will find a way

-Jurassic Park

Comment

Certainly I'd agree that's the case, but that's within this universe, not the Discostar Galactica one.

The Matrix isn't really the best comparative for what you're asking, since its trilogy was made by all the same people.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

i don't know.. If i remember correctly the character "baltar" was evil in the old series and the character "starbuck" was a guy. Apollo had a sister "Athena".

There are more reasons probably so i don't think that they could work together.

Comment

The Cylons in the original series were the creations of lizard-aliens called Cylons. There are no aliens in the new BAttlestar.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
              The Cylons in the original series were the creations of lizard-aliens called Cylons. There are no aliens in the new BAttlestar.
              Which is the number one reason why the two series are completely incompatible.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I've always wondered whether that is the whole point of the "all this has happened before and all this has happened again." In the early seasons of the show (though this seems less and less likely as time goes on) I suspected that the original Battlestar Galactica was an example of it happening again a long time after a first contact situation which hasn't happened by the time of the remake

Comment

Sam explained the cycle in the last episode
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    I've always wondered whether that is the whole point of the "all this has happened before and all this has happened again." In the early seasons of the show (though this seems less and less likely as time goes on) I suspected that the original Battlestar Galactica was an example of it happening again a long time after a first contact situation which hasn't happened by the time of the remake
                    The purpose of the Cycle was explained quite thoroughly in No Exit.

Also, no, there is absolutely no relation to the original series beyond similar models during the First Cylon War. People do not live for 300 years and cannot jump twenty feet into the air while on Earth.

Comment

All nice setiments to ponder, but the new BSG is a reinvention of an old concept, not continuation.

Hell, even the old BSG conflicted with itself, case and point being the episode where starbuck and the cylon where stuck on a planter together for years and became friends. But in the next episode it was like he never left.

But its the little details that proves BSG is a reinvention and you MUST let go of the orignal serise.
                      I got nothing!

Comment

Also,

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Those were clips from 'Razor', not Discostar Galactica.
                        I lol'ed at Discostar

Comment

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
                          All nice setiments to ponder, but the new BSG is a reinvention of an old concept, not continuation.

Hell, even the old BSG conflicted with itself, case and point being the episode where starbuck and the cylon where stuck on a planter together for years and became friends. But in the next episode it was like he never left.

But its the little details that proves BSG is a reinvention and you MUST let go of the orignal serise.
                          errr. think your getting your episodes mixed up....That episode with starbuck on the planet is the final episode from Galactica 1980. He did crashland on a planet in the original show too if I recall right but he didn't become friends with a cylon there.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Which is the number one reason why the two series are completely incompatible.

Then howcome in the pilot we see one of the old fashioned 1970s Centurions in the Museum exhibit? Who created them if the human cylons created the robots we see in the current series?
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              Then howcome in the pilot we see one of the old fashioned 1970s Centurions in the Museum exhibit? Who created them if the human cylons created the robots we see in the current series?
                              Sigh.

The original Cylon models from the First Cylon War in the new BSG universe were designed in the same way as they were in the original series. That DOES NOT MEAN that the original series occurred in the same timeline.

Comment

Working...
                              X