This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient headsuckers

Did the ancient head sucker things come after they came back from atlantis or before they went?

Its never said but based on the archtecture I would have say they were invented before Atlantis but still used afterwards as evident in The Quest II
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Its never said but based on the archtecture I would have say they were invented before Atlantis but still used afterwards as evident in The Quest II
      I agree. In "The Fifth Race" - the first time we see a headsucker get used, O'Neill has no apparant knowledge of the fact the Ancients left then came back. - This is reflected by the fact the two Asgard he later meets at the crux of the story, who mentioned the Ancients "left our reigon of space long ago" but make no reference to their return or even for that matter, where they went off to. - Of course much later on we later learn they took Atlantis to the Pegasus Galaxy.

SPOILER ALERT! Potential Spoilers for SG1 and Atlantis from SG1's "The Lost City"!

Spoiler:

Much later on in "The Lost City" O'Neill gets headsuckered again, this time because our characters are looking for Atlantis. Due in part to this, (Dr J has to put his decryption skills to good use) they find both Proclarush Taonas, and the Antarctic Outpost. - However, Neither explain why Taonas was evacuated (its guesswork about the lava flows by Colonel Carter) and our character realise that the Antartic Outpost is that, an outpost. - If O'Neill knew where Atlantis had gone form the date, he would have said so in Ancient.

Finally in The Pegaus Project, Morgan Le Fay in an aside refers that Taonas was evacuated because the planet was turning nasty, and makes no reference to contact with the Asgard or anyone else besides the "native" people of Earth when the Ancients evacuated Atlantis during the first Wraith siege. - It seems unlikely the Ancients would not provide some warning of what happened in Pegasus. - Then again Atlantis has raised some awkward ommisions!
      - I realise this is curcumstancial evidence, but it does fit established facts.
      Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
      Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Well Guys, You have to understand: There is Tons of information on each of the devices (probably all the Ancient Database). It's A LOT of information... Maybe the human that receives the knowledge is only able to access the part that he wants...Like O'Neill when he needed to meet the Asgards to take out the knowledge from his head. In The history of Taonas, they were searching a way to protect Earth. IF they want to Atlantis that time, what would they do? Atlantis without ZPMs is equal to nothing. The Outpost was Much more useful that time than going to Atlantis itself....
        Hello Guys! Sorry for any Writing errors. I'm Brazilian and don't know english....XD~~

Comment

It seems like they were made after the ancients returned to the milkyway from pegasus. Merlin had one and referred to the survivors of atlantis seeding civilizations and building repositories. However Adria had one on the ori ship suggesting that they were common in a previous era when the ancients were in the ori galaxy, or she copied the design from present day.

Comment

Spoiler:
            didnt the asgard in the lost tribe follow the ancients to pegasus ?so obviosly they had already had contact before they left . why would they hide away once they'd returned to the milky way ? i suppose that they where ashamed of there defeat but they where actively building cities and colinising planets ryt up untill the plague . also lets consider this . the city they found daniel in after he un ascended was the last city they (semi) built . but they found this city using the list of planets added to the database after the FIRST head sucker incident . not the second . implying that at least this first head sucker was designed after the ancients returned

Comment

The second Ancient Repository of Information had to probably come after they returned from Atlantis 10,000 years ago. It had knowledge on how to disrupt the Replicators, and make a weapon capable of disrupting those bonds permanently.

Adria's selective repository came from Merlin's cave. All she did was rip it out, and that would not have been too hard to move something of that size through the Stargate.

The first Ancient Repository of Information is a bit of mystery as to when it was built, but it looked in better shape than the second one SG-1 found.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Anar View Post
                The second Ancient Repository of Information had to probably come after they returned from Atlantis 10,000 years ago. It had knowledge on how to disrupt the Replicators, and make a weapon capable of disrupting those bonds permanently.
                You're referring to New Order Pt. 2 (S.) It does not establish that the Ancients knew of the Replicators, but only that Jack was able to draw upon the Ancients' knowledge and technical know-how to build a weapon that he could use against them. There's a difference. This is turn means that the age of the repository cannot be determined from this.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                  You're referring to New Order Pt. 2 (S.) It does not establish that the Ancients knew of the Replicators, but only that Jack was able to draw upon the Ancients' knowledge and technical know-how to build a weapon that he could use against them. There's a difference. This is turn means that the age of the repository cannot be determined from this.

In the offical SG-1 and Atlantis magazine, in ''Carter's notebook'', it says that the repository from ''Lost city'' was post-PG as it had knowledge to destroy replicators, which Sam says, was invented to rid the PG galaxy of the Aursans.

However if that was the case then why didn't the Ancients use this knowledge to destroy them.
                  Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
                    In the offical SG-1 and Atlantis magazine, in ''Carter's notebook'', it says that the repository from ''Lost city'' was post-PG as it had knowledge to destroy replicators, which Sam says, was invented to rid the PG galaxy of the Aursans.

However if that was the case then why didn't the Ancients use this knowledge to destroy them.
                    I'm not a reader of the magazines, but this brings to mind a recent thread on a slightly different topic where a point was made that we should not consider any material that has been licensed by MGM and designated "official" as automatically being a part of the series canon. This especially applies to novels, role-playing games, and "official" magazines, among others.

In my view, only what's been presented on the show should be considered canon. The only exception would be something stated in writing by one of TPTB (eg. Joe Mallozzi's blog).

I therefore still maintain that the evidence as to when the repositories were built is still inconclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Anar View Post
                      Not exactly. It contained the information necessary to construct a device similar in function to the one Dakara. The fact that Replicators were held together by keron pathways was information that O'Neill could have found in the Daniel Jackson's computer. As to where he got the knowledge of how to configure the device to disrupt keron pathways, that might have come from the Repository, but it might also have come from some synthesis of the Asgard and Ancient knowledge at his disposal at the time.

Very true. I have taken the liberty of elaborating upon this point; I hope you don't mind.

One indication of its age, however, would be that O'Neill seemed to think that Atlantis was still on Earth. Of course, that could be a misinterpretation of what he was saying, so it is still unclear.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I'm not a reader of the magazines, but this brings to mind a recent thread on a slightly different topic where a point was made that we should not consider any material that has been licensed by MGM and designated "official" as automatically being a part of the series canon. This especially applies to novels, role-playing games, and "official" magazines, among others.

In my view, only what's been presented on the show should be considered canon. The only exception would be something stated in writing by one of TPTB (eg. Joe Mallozzi's blog).

I therefore still maintain that the evidence as to when the repositories were built is still inconclusive.

I agree there I just had to make the point.
                        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
                          I agree there I just had to make the point.
                          Gotcha.

Comment

They could have been made after the ancients came back from PG

Cus' Merlin had one of those "Headsuckers" in his lab, alothough it was slightly modified to do something else, but the point still stands that some of them could have been made after they got back from PG

Some were built before they went and then somemore where built after they came back, and they kept with the decore of the MW and made some more that looked the same as the one's they had made allready

Just a possibility
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X