This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will the Stargate be used?

Ok so we know that whilst in Hyperspace the Gate cannot be activated as the point of origin is not valid.
    Also they will probably ring down or grab a jumper or some sort of ship that takes them to the planet when in orbit.
    I do not really see how the Stargate can have much use?
    I mean it is Stargate Universe after all.
    Can anyone give me any details of how it will be used? Or is this still on "in the works"?
    Thanks.
    Josh.

This has bugged me since i first heard info about SGU, maybe they use the shuttle to get down to a planet and then use the gate network to explore worlds for supplies or something and then head back to the Destiny when its time to leave that particular sector of space.

Or maybe the shuttle is very much like Atlantis' Jumpers, where they can fit through Stargates or something and they use the gate on Destiny instead of just walking through...
    Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

maybe they have an auto-calibrating gate on board which they use to get down to planets, rather than using shuttles.

Comment

I was under the impression that the Gate was the only way on or off the ship which is why they're stranded in the first place; i.e. after gating to the ship in the first episode, Destiny makes a jump taking them out of range of dialing Earth. That of course sets up the overarching plot of trying to get back to Earth. Each individual episode then would be a sub-plot of gating down to whatever planet they just jumped into space over, where supplies, technology or allies could potentially be found that would help them get home.

Maybe after a few seasons they figure out, or even better create, a way to gate anywhere, but now, like the Pegasus Expedition, they decide to continue until they resolve another conflict they encountered.

Comment

This is a very interesting point, and here are several things i have come up with

1. they simply dont use the stargates, sounds dumb to me but its possible. Maybe they give a cheap fix like they did on unending with the asgard core being able to make anything they wanted

2. they do indeed travel to other planets, and if they get left behind, they dial the destiny. remember that if the ship is on a predetermined course and has been for years, then there has to be a stargate address to reach it no matter where it is at, so anytime it leaves them, they must simply dial the address that got them there to begin with
          THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

Originally posted by THE HAM View Post
            This is a very interesting point, and here are several things i have come up with

1. they simply dont use the stargates, sounds dumb to me but its possible. Maybe they give a cheap fix like they did on unending with the asgard core being able to make anything they wanted

2. they do indeed travel to other planets, and if they get left behind, they dial the destiny. remember that if the ship is on a predetermined course and has been for years, then there has to be a stargate address to reach it no matter where it is at, so anytime it leaves them, they must simply dial the address that got them there to begin with
            The second point seems most likely, however the point of origin constantly changes between each planet, they cannot possibly connect, also with the ship being in hyperspace most of the time it would be a little irrisponsible for the writers to have each show conveniently take place in orbit when out of Hyperspace. In my opinion the Stargate should be shown and used in practically everyshow, otherwise there is no point in this spin-off.
            Any other theories?
            I am really stuck on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
              maybe they have an auto-calibrating gate on board which they use to get down to planets, rather than using shuttles.
              This sounds very possible, about the auto-calibrating gate and most logical, but they will still use the shuttle from time to time aswel - if they are still using that idea. I saw the inside of the shuttle in the concept art, but then again its just concept art so things could change...
              Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Well except for allowing the every once in a while SG team in distress to gate in it is used on a regular basis as a space football gate, space football being a slightly modified version of european football (aka soccer) played in a depressurized hangar in 0 gravity. Further rules and regulations are unavailable at this time.

We'll have to WAIT AND SEE. Patience little ones.
                Last edited by amokay; 11 February 2009, 12:31 PM.
                Hmm, The Bible, what a waste of perfectly good toilet paper.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1215985784
                Your Current Signature Picture

Comment

From what I've read, I agree with Colonel Forte. Destiny's duty is to follow behind another ship seeding livable planets with chappa'ai. I would imagine that the Destiny would take orbit around a celestial body that wasn't seeded by the gateship, and then would gate to the seeded planet within the same system.

Or, there is the possibility that the Destiny is able to override certain chappa'ai protocols to allow the Destiny to connect with a terrestrial gate from orbit.

Then again, they could just shuttle down to the planet, since artwork of the bridge of a Destiny shuttle has been released*. This would still make the show very much a member of the Stargate franchise in both style and execution. They would be exploring planets, and could even connect terrestrial chappa'ai with others.

However, since there is a notion that one could be left behind, I have a feeling that much of what I'm saying could be wrong. After all, if Destiny jumps away, when they connect with the next gate, they could always dial the previous planet and get back with people left behind. A simple fix to problems.

Honestly, we're just going to have to wait and see. I'm sure they'll make use of the chappa'ai in more than the first episode. After all, if they didn't, it wouldn't be Stargate.
                  Hail the gods and goddesses of Ásatrú!

Spoiler:
                  I hate Sci-Fi, instead of ending series when it comes to a point where they are beating a dead horse, they want to end the series right! While they are still on top! How dare Sci-Fi end series' with good memories? -_-'

Spoiler:
                  General Nick Fury: What are you smiling about?
                  Hawkeye: All this. What do you think? A few years back, S.H.I.E.L.D. was just you, me and a drinks tab trying to bring down the Soviet Union. Now you're sending thunder gods up against aliens and telling Captain freakin' America what to do. It's just too cool for words.
                  General Nick Fury: It is kinda cool, ain't it?
                  -- Origin of my nickname, from Ultimates Volume 2.

Comment

Originally posted by daedalus91 View Post
                    Ok so we know that whilst in Hyperspace the Gate cannot be activated as the point of origin is not valid.
                    Also they will probably ring down or grab a jumper or some sort of ship that takes them to the planet when in orbit.
                    I do not really see how the Stargate can have much use?
                    I mean it is Stargate Universe after all.
                    Can anyone give me any details of how it will be used? Or is this still on "in the works"?
                    Thanks.
                    Josh.
                    what makes u think the ship will even have puddle jumpers or rings?there hasnt been one mention of either of those things.i know that the ancients made both but isnt this ship much much older than atlantis...so why dont we watch the show and see how they get off the ship but i will give u a clue...its this big round this with a bunch of symbols on it

Comment

Originally posted by THE HAM View Post

If you can get to the Destiny via any gate, they'll have to explain why it doesn't work in reverse and why they can't simply gate back to Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Forte View Post
                        If you can get to the Destiny via any gate, they'll have to explain why it doesn't work in reverse and why they can't simply gate back to Earth.
                        The Destiny is out of range of Earth, or not calibrated to reach Earth. The ninth chevron is supposed to come into play in getting to the Destiny. Gating within a Galaxy shouldn't be a problem. However between Galaxies is a bigger problem. It is Stargate Universe. With regards to the hyperspace dilemma,

Spoiler:
                        the Destiny could possible actually use the wormhole drive as featured in the last episode of Atlantis. Which came first Destiny or Atlantis?

Comment

Originally posted by jedienigma View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          the Destiny could possible actually use the wormhole drive as featured in the last episode of Atlantis. Which came first Destiny or Atlantis?
                          Apparently, the Destiny, by quite a long time.

Also, even if the Destiny were equipped with that, you have to realize that we have only ever seen that used to travel relatively short distances. I don't even want to contemplate how much power it would use for even a "short" intergalactic trip.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

If they don't use the stargate to get down to the planets then i don't see how it will be used very often. And thats not good
                            sigpic
                            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                            Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
                              That sounds too much like Rings. Or is that just me?

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
                              Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X