This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam/Sam in charge of SG-1

At the start of season 8 Sam is given command of SG-1, however since then the command of SG-1 has become ''muddled'', so here's the way I see it.

Season 8 - No doubt Sam was in charge
    Season 9 - Cam feat? Sam (Technically Cam re-assembled the team and had been given command, Sam had vital experience)
    Season 10 - Sam and Cam (I think it's commonly believed that they shared command for season 10)
    AoT - Cam feat? Sam (Cam had command of the Odyssey)

The real problem arises sometime after AoT.
    Sam is promoted to Full-bird Colonel after AoT, so before going to the Midday station, in ''First Strike'', she technically therefore out-ranks Cam, so is she in charge of SG-1?
    After return from Atlantis and pre-Cam's promotion to Full-bird Colonel, if (probably unlikely) Sam rejoined SG-1 was she in charge?
    And post-Cam's promotion to Full-bird Colonel, pre-USS Hammond, joint command?

Any ideas??
    Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Cam is IC of SG1. Period.

Despite having two ranking officers at the same level, there's ONE leader. And that is Mitchell, as was made very cleary by Landry in Avalon Pt 1. Cam may feel he's not truely in command, and this may be correct in terms of how much power he can actually exercise, but on paper, he is most certainly Officer Commanding SG1. This is made further clear after Carter basically gets promoted out of SG1 to pursue other projects, including Atlantis.

As Carter was only rejoining SG1 for the execution of Ba'al for ceremonial purposes before being relieved of command of Atlantis, and yet in Continuum Cam is full bird, and I highly doubt it's just because of Carter joining them fleetingly, so I would suggest it was in recognition of his role in defending the Oddyssey against the Terminator, I mean... replicators.

Short answer - Cam is OC SG1, Carter, despite seemingly having seniority in terms of Stargate Command, was always under his command in S9-AoT.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I thought there might be a response like that, but still as I said Sam is promoted to Full-bird Colonel after AoT, so before going to the Midday station, in ''First Strike'', she technically therefore out-ranks Cam.
      I know it's a brief and unknown pereiod but still it happened.

I imagine that Cam might be pleased that (right now) he's the only Colonel there. Granted (at this moment) he's the only military officer in SG-1, so his rank is, somewhat, trival. If there was a Major etc. in SG-1 he'd be commanding at least 1 military officer.

Comment

question that is making me confused, but someone on this thread could be able to answer me... maybe spoilers from atlantis season finale

Spoiler:
        if Cam is the most 'graduated' officer in the base, more than Carter ( of course because he was the leader of SG-1) why then Sam was 'temporary' in charge of sgc command while Laundry was in Washington instead of Cam?

so, can i assume that SG-1 doesn't operates anymore as a team?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
          I thought there might be a response like that, but still as I said Sam is promoted to Full-bird Colonel after AoT, so before going to the Midday station, in ''First Strike'', she technically therefore out-ranks Cam.
          I know it's a brief and unknown pereiod but still it happened.

I imagine that Cam might be pleased that (right now) he's the only Colonel there. Granted (at this moment) he's the only military officer in SG-1, so his rank is, somewhat, trival. If there was a Major etc. in SG-1 he'd be commanding at least 1 military officer.
          We don't know that he wasn't promoted at the same time. No reason for promotionw as ever given, it would make sense if both got full bird following the AoT incident.

And as for Cam being OC SG1, that doesn't mean he's the most senior officer in the base sans Landry. It just means that he is OC SG1.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel-Kree View Post
            question that is making me confused, but someone on this thread could be able to answer me... maybe spoilers from atlantis season finale

Spoiler:
            if Cam is the most 'graduated' officer in the base, more than Carter ( of course because he was the leader of SG-1) why then Sam was 'temporary' in charge of sgc command while Laundry was in Washington instead of Cam?

so, can i assume that SG-1 doesn't operates anymore as a team?
            Maybe because SG-1 are busy, maybe Cam doesn't fancy commanding the SGC or maybe due to Sam's experience as base leader.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            We don't know that he wasn't promoted at the same time. No reason for promotionw as ever given, it would make sense if both got full bird following the AoT incident.

And as for Cam being OC SG1, that doesn't mean he's the most senior officer in the base sans Landry. It just means that he is OC SG1.
            Good point but I always had it in my head that Sam was promoted before Cam.
            I thought(think) that Sam was promoted shortly after AoT. Whereas Cam was promoted just before Baal's extraction in Continuum.

Comment

Maybe because SG-1 are busy, maybe Cam doesn't fancy commanding the SGC or maybe due to Sam's experience as base leader.

Good point but I always had it in my head that Sam was promoted before Cam.
              I thought(think) that Sam was promoted shortly after AoT. Whereas Cam was promoted just before Baal's extraction in Continuum.
              There's nothing what so ever said about when they were promoted. The only one we know for sure about is Carter. So it's all assumptions. It's neater if they were promoted at the same time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

There's nothing what so ever said about when they were promoted. The only one we know for sure about is Carter. So it's all assumptions. It's neater if they were promoted at the same time.
                True, but still. Lol, that's not really saying much, is it?
                But seriously, one reason I guess I taught that Sam was promoted before Cam was because we see Sam quite soon after AoT, in FS, but don't see Cam again until Baal's extraction in Continuum.

Comment

I don't know the date of when it was said, but I was under the impression that Joseph Mallozzi said in one of his blogs that both Sam and Cam were promoted to full bird Colonels just before Sam was assigned to Atlantis, at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    I don't know the date of when it was said, but I was under the impression that Joseph Mallozzi said in one of his blogs that both Sam and Cam were promoted to full bird Colonels just before Sam was assigned to Atlantis, at the same time.
                    If Joseph Mallozzi said something along those lines then that's that, I guess.
                    Hum!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Joe said
                      A. loquita writes: “1. Why is it that both Mitchell and Carter are listed as Lt. Colonel in the credits?”

Answer: That was a mistake. They are both full-bird Colonels.
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-5-july-reads/
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

If Joseph Mallozzi said something along those lines then that's that, I guess.
                        Hum!
                        Mallozzi also said that he believed that Sam and Cam were co-leaders, and in I believe the season 10 episode, Uninvited, Cam as much as says that he really can't tell Sam what to do because she is the same rank. (I think he also mentioned a similar sentiment about leading in regard to Teal'c and Daniel.) I think the leadership thing is a bit fuzzy actually, but I can see why some think that Cam is the SG-1 leader.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi can't decide what is what on his blog. Sorry, he can't. Don't take his fantasies as fact. What appears on the screen is what is fact.

Technically speaking, Mitchell is still a Lt. Colonel as of Continuum. It has never been stated on the show or shown that he is anything but a Lt. Col.

Technically speaking, Carter is a Full Colonel as of Adrift. It has been established that Carter is now a Full Colonel and has served in that capacity on screen.

Anything else that a writer may or may not have said in passing conversation, on a personal blog, or in a random interview is not established canon. If you asked a different writer you'd probably get a different answer. If you asked a random, casual viewer they'd probably be pretty uncertain as to the state of affairs on SG-1, hence the existence of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                            Mallozzi also said that he believed that Sam and Cam were co-leaders, and in I believe the season 10 episode, Uninvited, Cam as much as says that he really can't tell Sam what to do because she is the same rank. (I think he also mentioned a similar sentiment about leading in regard to Teal'c and Daniel.) I think the leadership thing is a bit fuzzy actually, but I can see why some think that Cam is the SG-1 leader.
                            I have no doubt that he was written to be in charge in S9/S10. Imo they didn't realize they had a problem til people went ape over Sam's positional demotion, because of the desire to have Ben!Browder! lead because he was series!lead! No matter how you slice it it looks bad. The only way for it to not look bad -to oneself - (imo) is to totally ignore it.

No, I'm not going to turn this into Who Should Lead. *I* know who should. She didn't. Yes, I am still torqued about it. I expected better - and no, I didn't expect Stargate: Sam Carter. I expected respect for the past, not a reset to a position Sam was in 8 years before (except the team now had to train the team lead. Not a chance).

suse
                            Last edited by suse; 10 February 2009, 01:30 PM. Reason: minor grammar adjustments
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                              Regardless of identical rank. He IS the leader. There's more than simply rank that denotes leadership, ie actually being ASSIGNED leader.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X