Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: 1999 (Will Universe be like Space:1999?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: 1999 (Will Universe be like Space:1999?)

For those of you younger chaps out there, there was a series in the 70's called Space: 1999. The jist of it being that the Moon was pushed out of Earth orbit due to a nuclear explosion on the dark side. The series followed the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha as they were marooned on the Moon and passed various planets and interstellar phenomena. If the came within range of a planet, the planet was evaluated to determine if it was suitable for a permanent home.

Given some of the comments out there by TPTB, I'm wondering just how similar Stargate: Universe will be to Space 1999.
    The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Wow good spot...it certainly does have its similarities.
    sigpic

Comment

i dont think it will be anything like that..........but maybe tptb watched that......who knows

Comment

Interesting show ....know anywhere where they sell the seasons?

Comment

cool... i'll have to see if the video store has it any to rent
          "The chinese government does not believe in hiding secrets from it's people"

Comment

Oh, man... I totally loved that show when I was a kid even if it scared the bejeesus of out me sometimes (they did have big, ugly, gooey alien creatures at some point ). I do see the similarities between Space: 1999 and Universe and I wouldn't be surprised that the producers did somehow get a bit of inspiration from it. Good catch!
            Last edited by Lady Vaako; 09 February 2009, 03:10 AM.
            "Great... Last time I came face to face with myself, I ended up kicking my own ass..."

- John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by Malviris View Post
              Some DVD stores sell them but I bought the box set of the 2 seasons on Ebay for $37 US about a year ago. Now they're selling them starting at $60 though (which by all means is still a good price).
              "Great... Last time I came face to face with myself, I ended up kicking my own ass..."

- John Sheppard

Comment

You probably don't want to buy it. It was sort of campy - not to mention produced in the 70's. Its available on Netflix.

Comment

I have a feeling it will be like Buck Rogers. After the original story was told it changed some characters and they all boarded " The Searcher". The show was canceled shortly thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by danzig70 View Post
                    I have a feeling it will be like Buck Rogers. After the original story was told it changed some characters and they all boarded " The Searcher". The show was canceled shortly thereafter.
                    Oh God No.

Comment

Not knowing where you are from so I do not know whether this is relevant or not, but episodes are currently being aired on ITV 4 in the UK.

In some ways their is a possibility that some elements of the story from the show will appear in SGU. Again it been pointed out that the plot of SGU is not the most original story ever written and their is potential for many stories and concepts from many scifi series/films to be retold in the Stargate universe.

We just got to hope that the characters, and universe, and modern technology will allow these stories to be told in different unique ways.

All stories can be traced back to just a few hundred concepts after all.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 10 February 2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

The whole premise behind Space 1999 was, IMO, absurd. The writers seemed to be ignorant of the fact, that even if a nuclear blast could push the moon out of it's orbit and send it out of the solar system, (absurd in itself) that it would take millions of years for it to reach the most nearby stars. That, and not to mention the havoc that the sudden absence of our moon, would create here on Earth. At least it's safe to assume that the Destiny in SGU will have hyper-drive. Last time I checked, the moon didn't.

Then there was the wooden acting by the cast, even Landau and Bain.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                          The whole premise behind Space 1999 was, IMO, absurd. The writers seemed to be ignorant of the fact, that even if a nuclear blast could push the moon out of it's orbit and send it out of the solar system, (absurd in itself) that it would take millions of years for it to reach the most nearby stars. That, and not to mention the havoc that the sudden absence of our moon, would create here on Earth. At least it's safe to assume that the Destiny in SGU will have hyper-drive. Last time I checked, the moon didn't.

Then there was the wooden acting by the cast, even Landau and Bain.

Tinkerbell: Sounds like some one needs some Suspension of Disbelief pixie dust!

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                            Tinkerbell: Sounds like some one needs some Suspension of Disbelief pixie dust!
                            Lol! Yes, suspension of disbelief is a necessary ingredient to the enjoyment of much sci-fi, even the better shows. After all, I made it through all the seasons of Stargate and enjoyed it all. But in the case of Space 1999, it would have taken a supply of pixie dust that would have filled all the craters on the moon, before I would have swallowed the series' premise. Just call me a hopeless case on this one.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                              The writers seemed to be ignorant of the fact, that even if a nuclear blast could push the moon out of it's orbit and send it out of the solar system, (absurd in itself) that it would take millions of years for it to reach the most nearby stars.
                              How about they weren't ignorant of the fact but they rather simply chose to ignore it? Personally, I was so young back then that I had no idea about this and I certainly didn't care.

- John Sheppard

Comment

Working...
                              X