This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important to remember...

that the Destiny is an "automated" ship. So it makes me wonder how the Ancients built it. Would they have spent much time/resources on life support systems? If not, this would be a serious obstacle for the crew to overcome.

Taking a cue from the title of the episodes thus far, it makes me believe that this will be what they are tackling in the first couple of episodes. It may sound silly, but would they have even put galleys and sleeping quarters in it? If it was going to be seeding Stargates then it obviously has to have a large cargo bay and beaming technology to get the gates down to the planets.

Anyways, just was thinking about how an automated ship could cause problems for a human crew and/or what they would have put on the ship to enable it to complete its mission.
    sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Good catch.

Comment

That is a thought.

Although I'm also thinking that just because the ships navigation is automated might not mean that the seeding of the stargates still wasn't going to take a crew.

I suspect you're right about it being a big issue at first though.
      Learn how the Stargate name is being used in a con, and do your part to stop it!

Comment

Wait wait...Destiny isn't the automated ship...the gate seeder ship that went ahead of it is
        "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
          that the Destiny is an "automated" ship. So it makes me wonder how the Ancients built it. Would they have spent much time/resources on life support systems? If not, this would be a serious obstacle for the crew to overcome.

Taking a cue from the title of the episodes thus far, it makes me believe that this will be what they are tackling in the first couple of episodes. It may sound silly, but would they have even put galleys and sleeping quarters in it? If it was going to be seeding Stargates then it obviously has to have a large cargo bay and beaming technology to get the gates down to the planets.

Anyways, just was thinking about how an automated ship could cause problems for a human crew and/or what they would have put on the ship to enable it to complete its mission.
          The Destiny is not the 'Seeder Ship.' It is the ship that follows up to basically 'check up on the already seeded gates.'

In my opinion, I believe there will be quarters, etc. The Destiny was part of the Ancient's experiment to seed the galaxies with Stargates millions of years ago but the Ancients had to abandon it after ascension. So, I assume they were on board the ship and would have required the necessities to sustain life, etc.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
          and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

That would be my guess but most likely after millions of years or however long it's been running around those resources are likely almost depleted which will probably be the first hurdles they will be running into.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
              Wait wait...Destiny isn't the automated ship...the gate seeder ship that went ahead of it is
              Ahhh yes that's right......

Still a lot to get implanted into the ol' memory banks yet.
              Learn how the Stargate name is being used in a con, and do your part to stop it!

Comment

The Destiny might have been supposed to have a crew, but the Ancients got busy with Ascension and other things. So I'd assume they'll be living quarters and other things, but there will probably still be some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
                  The Destiny might have been supposed to have a crew, but the Ancients got busy with Ascension and other things. So I'd assume they'll be living quarters and other things, but there will probably still be some issues.
                  Exactly. Perfectly said.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                  and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

There is so much potential for this show it's incredibly amazing.. I get more excited for this show every day.. If done right, I will put this right at the level of SG1 and possibly even better eventually. If it is written and created correctly that is..
                    I'm gonna miss SG1..
                    Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

I am waiting to see if they will use energy weapons more on this show seeing as how they will be completely cut off from earth. After one year on atlantis they got more supplies like food and bullets. These people I would imagine will be cut off a lot longer and were not planning on being gone long.

Comment

Originally posted by ferrari20092 View Post
                        There is so much potential for this show it's incredibly amazing.. I get more excited for this show every day.. If done right, I will put this right at the level of SG1 and possibly even better eventually. If it is written and created correctly that is..
                        I'm right there with you, and I'm not all that worried about the writing actually. I'm thinking that this is a chance for some of the writers to spread their wings a bit, and I think we're in for some good stuff.

Comment

What doesnt make sense to me with the entire plot for universe....

that there wouldnt be some kind of saftey feature to prevent this exact thing from happening.

I mean we all know the ancients were insanely stupid most of the times according to the writers, (like creating a gate system that doesnt even let you know if you will survive the trip to the other side, and before you say well the planets were safe when they placed them there, well think of the space gates)

but aside from that they always said most ancient systems are Highly redundant and usualy have numerous safety features.

you would think they would have a very obvious "ABORT" protocal somewhere on destiny ya know. or just some kinda of recall directive to send it back to earth.

Lol watch one of the first episodes either someone will find it but not say anything to anyone, or WE will find it and it will be right out in the open and just never noticed. lol then a few seasons down the road when the shows about to end someone will be like
                          "wtf is this.... son of a....."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
                            That would be my guess but most likely after millions of years or however long it's been running around those resources are likely almost depleted which will probably be the first hurdles they will be running into.
                            "water" could be to do with that
                            sigpic
                            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                            Metal gear fan

Comment

I think one of the main things I want to see from this series is realism when it comes to supplies. This is a ship separated from Earth with seemingly no way of getting back. We saw this in Star Trek Voyager, but they seemed to have magically unlimited supplies / shuttles / everything. From the sounds of what you people are saying they will be dealing with finite supplies, which is good.
                              Around The Universe

Comment

Working...
                              X